closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When strangers admire your watch

When strangers admire your watch

Was in Neath market this morning. Guy serving me exclaimed 'wow what an awesome watch' and started asking questions about it. I was wearing my Seiko Darth Tuna, he was the proud owner of a late 70's vintage Seiko diver he'd had for his 18th and which had served faithfully ever since. He happily made the next customer wait while he examined the Tuna and almost forgot to charge me ;) Nice to find stealth WIS out in the wild. Only the third or fourth time in the last 20 years anyone's commented on one of my watches (apart from when my wife says "not another one?!")
    Steve

Re: When strangers admire your watch

Never had anyone comment on mine apart from AD's.

Most people couldnt care less about watches.

Master

It's only happened to me once when I wore my Omega 300mhz 'cone'. I've seen a guy checking out my Sumo while sitting by me on a plane, but he didn't say anything.

I've commented on someone's watch and was treated like I was from outer space. The above comment is correct - most people couldn't care less about watches; theirs or anyone else's.

I've had a couple of people comment on watches of mine in the past. A guy serving me in Debenhams a few years ago asked me if my 2531 was real. I thought it was a tad rude from a stranger, but he was more of a Bond nut than a watch person.

I also commented on someones watch once, it was a 5512 or 5513 he was wearing on a nato, so I assumed he was at least partially WIS. but he had no idea what it was, aside from being a Rolex Submariner. I suppose that's fair enough (I don't get offended by non-WIS).

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    It's only happened to me once when I wore my Omega 300mhz 'cone'. I've seen a guy checking out my Sumo while sitting by me on a plane, but he didn't say anything.

I've commented on someone's watch and was treated like I was from outer space. The above comment is correct - most people couldn't care less about watches; theirs or anyone else's.
    Is also my experience. Only the flash Harries in the office with brand afflictions have ever asked what I had, and wander off uninterested when I tell them what it is.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

It's only ever happened to me when I've worn my bubble bats :D ..

Was at a car meet, and a chap wearing a panerai, spotted it and wanted a closer look...... I think he was quite taken with it :)

I was in a meeting in Barcelona last week, and one of the guys there pulled me to one side and said "Is that a vintage Sub you're wearing? Do you ever wear it on a NATO?"

I was quite gobsmacked... he was wearing a Portuguese and said he wanted to get something vintage, but wasn't sure of the best place to source one.

I saw him again a couple of days ago and he's now intending to join TZ and one or two other forums. It was quite nice spending an hour or so chatting about watches during an otherwise dull day although I was a bit surprised when he told that his boss - who I know quite well - has no less than FIVE Pateks in his collection :)

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    It's only ever happened to me when I've worn my bubble bats :D ..

Was at a car meet, and a chap wearing a panerai, spotted it and wanted a closer look...... I think he was quite taken with it :)

My guess is he was appalled at how ugly it was :D

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Quote Originally Posted by davida

I get it all the time but I figure it's just an excuse that women use to talk to me. :lol:

I hate it when that happens.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Several people have checked out my rollers over the years (trying to determine if they were fakes?) but they never said anything. The only ones that have been commented on are the Seiko BM and (quite recently) the Citizen full-lume diver. Strange :?

I once walked into a Breitling AD and they offered a straight swap of the Sub I was wearing for a Navitimer. I declined. Still not sure I did the right thing.

Journeyman

Strangely, the most feedback from strangers I got on my wacht was for a Sinn 6060 Finanzplatzuhr. People seemed to like the black shiny dial, or at least that was what got their attention. My Rolex Sub ND got attention in a number of ways; negative in a way that in the Netherlands it seems to be "not done" to be a bit out of the ordinary (So you are better off with a Patek because most people will not recognize that), negative from "scrubs" who told me that I just have the "starter Rolex" and positive from fellow watch lovers who appreciate the watch for what it is.

Never any feedback on my other watches... Sometimes I compliment somebody on their watch, depending on the follow up I decide if it makes sense to talk more about watches.

Only happened once to me in Portabello market in 99. The watch was an El Primero and he was a (non watch ) dealer . So I suppose he had an eye for such things .

I get it all the time but I figure it's just an excuse that women use to talk to me. :lol:
    Hmmm, your underdrawers would appear to be on fire... :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SternG

I once walked into a Breitling AD and they offered a straight swap of the Sub I was wearing for a Navitimer. I declined. Still not sure I did the right thing.
    Perhaps they thought you needed all the help you could get, to show everyone you're not a boring old fart after all :D

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Quote Originally Posted by SternG

Perhaps they thought you needed all the help you could get, to show everyone you're not a boring old fart after all :D

Watch it, buddy, I'm easily offended and could take umbrage at a remark as insolent as that :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only happened to me once someone asked me about the vintage Elgin I was wearing told him what it was and he disappeared as quick as he'd appeared.

Master

I'm not scared..... :shock: :shock:

I've got a watch with bats on it :twisted: :twisted: :D

Craftsman

I've had comments when wearing my Portuguese

Blog Entries

Don't think I've ever had anyone comment on my watch. But then my shirt sleaves usually seem to obscure my watch so perhaps no one sees them.

I've never had comments from strangers but my friends will often comment as they know my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point

I hate it when that happens.
    :lol: :lol:

Yes, beating them off with a sh*tty-stick puts undue wear on the movement!

When strangers admire your watch...

...you're about to get mugged.

Master

Once when out looking for watches I asked to see some Oris they had in the window she enquired what watch I was wearing before I could reply a Seiko she said it looked like an Omega so in addition to the Oris out came some Omega's to look at and the offer of being able to get Rolex models in from a local branch for me to look at, when I finally got through to her that it was only a Seiko she went a bit red, I ended up buying a necklace for the wife.

Another occasion I had just bought my speedy and was working in a pub and a guy asked to look at it and try it on, I was a little reluctant until he took off his datejust and said try this on, he was actually looking for ideas for his lads 21st.

The Casio GX56 gets a lot of attention but then it is a beast and hard to miss.

Never happened to me, always somebody i know asking what im wearing.

I was that stranger a few weeks ago, a chap popped into my work wearing a Bremont BC-S2, he was surprised i noticed and took it off for me to have a look, if you happen to read this, thanks a lot, made my day :lol:

Its happend to me a few times but i love when someone complements your watch its kind of gives you a excited feeling

:D Went out with a girl for about a year after she came over and commented on my watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

its happened a couple of times. I was buying a TV and the salesman said - "Nice Moon Watch" and we had a conversation as he owned a Seamaster.
    Then I was in New Zealand buying some outdoor gear and the girl serving me told me that I had a nice watch, it was an old TAG Heuer. She was kind of cute too!

Grand Master

Ive commented on 2-3 watches since christmas and 2 of the owners have revealed that they are fakes!

I always spot the classics but rarely comment unless a conversation allows
    RIAC

My panerai is the only watch to get compliments from strangers. One from a barman who was serving me and another from a stranger on a tube who was also wearing one.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by searat
    Was in Neath market this morning. Guy serving me exclaimed 'wow what an awesome watch' and started asking questions about it. I was wearing my Seiko Darth Tuna, he was the proud owner of a late 70's vintage Seiko diver he'd had for his 18th and which had served faithfully ever since. He happily made the next customer wait while he examined the Tuna and almost forgot to charge me ;) Nice to find stealth WIS out in the wild. Only the third or fourth time in the last 20 years anyone's commented on one of my watches (apart from when my wife says "not another one?!")
    Steve
    People from Neath a) are very observant, and b) have excellent taste 8)

Craftsman

Only happened to me when wearing an exceptional watch. A couple of times people asked and complimented me about the watch when I was wearing the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Spiral Verso VIP. But also sometimes when wearing the vintage golden square Bulova Accutron Spaceview.

Blog Entries

I still remember when wearing my Omega 300m 'Bond' diver when visiting California quite a few years ago a rather attractive female sales assistant did comment on the look of my watch. I was still a bit green behind the ears at that time and after consideration I think this may have been a chat up line That sort of thing used to happen to be back then. Sad to say I'm more a sad old git these days and no young women have approached me like that in a long time.

Needless to say - I just fumbled some answer and left the shop. Oh well..
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

i saw a pulsar mili chrono on a bloke and i told him argos £40 and its issued also sumtimes, i fink he fought i was a walnut hehehe :lol: i keepo me cuffs low so u wont know im into tactical rose gold and pvd hehehe!!!!!!!!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I have a diamond watch and Iget a few comments and questions about the watch every week. The most common being "what type of watch is that" and "Are those diamonds fake?" :lol:

I had a recent comedy moment when sat in a meeting wearing my '74 yellow gold fill Omega TC2 LED thinking I was the cats whiskers. I'd just checked the time and happened to glance over at my director who'd sat in on the meeting - he hitched his cuff to reveal a vintage pulsar LED of similar age!

I was a bit mortified at first in case he (and more importantly my immediate colleagues in the meeting!) thought I knew about his and was copying his style :lol:

Turns out he's a bit of a closet WIS (but with deeper pockets than me) - he showed up the next day in a WG Daytona which I immediately noticed, cue a discussion on the several rolexes (inc a further Daytona) and other lovely watches he's got.

Think he had a Corum on last time I saw him.

Journeyman

Just the once at the pub, the guy sit at the table next to me kept looking over at me then turning and speaking to the lady sat next to him. This went on for about 15 mins before the guy come over and asked if I was wearing a Panerai PAM 250 and if he could try it on, I was a little shocked but said yeah sure why not. He was also wearing a Panerai PAM 50, which his wife gave him as an engagement watch a couple of months prior. We spoke about watches for about an hour returned our watches before he had to leave, which I was glad to do the 40 mm just seemed too small. Before he left he come to say the 40mm now felt too small for him and was thinking of replacing for a 44mm not sure how that went down with his other half :lol:

Had a decent conversation with a fellow watch geek working in a hotel reception who checked out my 5513 and asked if it was a 'Dweller. Was able to enlighten him as to the joys of 28 year old acrylic crystal diving watch technology, and how reasonable Bexleys vintage service costs are :shock: . When I went through my white G-Shock phase, had loads of comments from "is that an ICE watch?" to "Chavtastic", "mid-life crisis" etc from SMBO. As I explained, its cheaper than a Boxster or a mistress...went down well. :D

Blog Entries

Had comments on my Oris TT1 & Zeno Fellow (which was assumed to be more expensive than it was)
    But then my watches are usually under cuff.
    Nothing else had provoked comments from strangers.
    z

Sounds like a very nice experience... Only people that comments on my watches are my colleagues, who know that I love horology, so they keep a keen eye out....

Oh, and then my fiancee giving me the eye.... worth a thousand words :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    Quote Originally Posted by searat
    Steve
    People from Neath a) are very observant, and b) have excellent taste 8)
    +1. I've found that, too. :)

I see quite of a lot of tasty stuff walk through the doors at work. One of my customers has a well used Speedy that he had when he was a Navy Phantom pilot which is always nice to see. I always comment if nothing more than a "nice *insert watch*. Those that are in the know spot the 356, those that aren't usually spot my manager's GMT instead.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Lots of customers notice my watches, usually to play one-upmanship games (I tend to wear a Tag Heuer for work or a quartz seamaster bond) and they Usually tell me they have some Rolex or another.... At this point a colleague usually points out that I have "a few" watches......

I have a particular repeat customer who has an IWC portuguese, Breitling aerospace (influenced me to buy one) and a Panerai 288 (which he leant to me for a day so I could wear it to a wedding! And I ended up buying one lol!)

I know he bought both a Pam 292 and a Daytona just to sell on (at major profit) a couple of years ago....

Craftsman

It's always nice when a fellow watch enthusiast notices your watch and starts talking about it. Dependent on the time at hand I always like to chat about watches.

Different question relating this subject; do you start a conversation when you spot a nice watch?!

Craftsman

I don't start a conversation that often, only when it's a realy, realy special watch. Last time I did so was with a customer who was wearing an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Grand Prix Limited Edition.

I remember being in Paris sitting at a sunny terrace having a cool beer and this annoying streetmusic-maker was asking money for his awful performance. When he asked me for a donation I told him I was out of cash and he replied:"Anyone with a Jaeger leCoultre like that always has money!".

I tried to steer clear of him by telling him it was a fake. He then waved his finger and said:"No no no, I can see it!", and I felt rather frugal after that.

I do get the odd comment from colleagues - who although not WIS themselves are often interested in what I am wearing. I have also had comments on some of the more outlandish pieces I have worn - eg Mr Roboto, an Edox Geoscope, Corum Bubble Divebomber etc.

I did get a comment from a colleague who spotted my new Martin Braun Selene Meteorite the other day - but then he does tend to watch out for what I am wearing.

Not totally surprisingly, the Invicta Grand Lupah Meteorite I have up on SC at the moment has been noticed before - it is a very eyecatching design! :)

And that was a quite neat, and genuine, plug! If I do say so myself!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master

Other than family members commenting, the only watch I've owned that elicited a comment was a Cartier Pasha I owned quite a few years ago. I was sitting in court, and a (rather lovely) female colleague leaned forwards from the bench behind and said "What an exquisite watch you're wearing..."

I was beaming for about an hour afterwards.

I run a busy pub. Quite often i notice something interesting on the wrist of my customers (often they're the business set).
    I've been met with a complete cross-section of reactions after making a comment about their watch. Some have been smug and shunned me "as i am simpley the bloke serving them drinks", whilst others have been extremely open and friendly. I have had a customer return 10 months later saying he brought along his collection for me to check out ( he had 10-12 bullhead watches in fantastic condition ).

Only twice have i ever had a complete stranger come up and comment about a watch i was wearing. First was a customer that noticed my Heuer Pasadena. He knew it was 80's and even that it was an auto so i was really impressed.
    The 2nd was while i was having a drink at standing at the bar of a restaurant. I was admiring the a particularly attractive young woman & trying to make some eye contact when a guy standing at the same bar asked me the time and noticed my Heuer Carrera & told me how impressed he was with it. I didn't get to meet the girl but at least i managed a bit of nerdy watch talk that evening. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh
    When strangers admire your watch...

...you're about to get mugged.
    It's a known technique that they usually will ask you for the time to take a closer look at your watch - often people will proffer their wrist to show the time as well as say it - before deciding whether or not to proceed with mugging.