closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aaaaaarrrrrgggg!

Aaaaaarrrrrgggg!

So much for starting to tinker with watches! Have changed a few straps and batteries, go me.

The last one is a tissot diver and for the life of me i cant get the snap back back on. Are there any hints or do i need a press or admit my limitations and take it to a professional?

Thanks
    Sam

Grand Master

Re: Aaaaaarrrrrgggg!

are you sure it's a snap back? i'd expect a screw back on a diver.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Yes its definitely snap on, its not a true diver as its only 100 meters resistant.

Grand Master

any pics? usually it's just a case of making sure you have the stem groove lined up properly and very even pressure.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I had the same problem with a few snap back cases.
    Go to Ebay and search for "watch case closer". Make sure you get one with metal dies. The plastic ones are great for fitting crystals but too soft for stubborn case backs.
    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    Dave

Master

It may need a press. Some of them can be a real pain, especially if they have slightly distorted during removal. :roll:

Thanks all , will look into getting a press, really not keen on going through the humiliation of going to a professional explaining how i got it off but cant refit it!

Be careful of the case back gasket... is it just a plain black rubbery one? or is it like one of the thicker red / orange plastic sort? These only go on one way and iy you warp them, they are gone forever. Could you not take it to a good / old fashioned jeweller / watch maker and ask him to do it for you. If you ask nicely and offer to pay a few quid, i'm sure they'd be happy to do it. Might save you a gasket and any dust and moisture getting in the watch.

Grand Master

On the off-chance that the OP lives anywhere near me, I`ll refit it for him using a small press.

Mine's got plastic dies and I`ve found them to be fine for snap-back cases.

Paul

The secret to closing those backs is to push them in level. That's what the crystal press does for you. But I have been closing them before I got the press, there's a trick. Take a flat piece of wood (I used an ancient broken spirit level). Place the watch near the edge of a table, put the case on the back and then place the piece of wood over the back. Stand above the watch and grip both the table edge and the piece of wood with your hands, if you grip it correctly you can see how you have more control over the angle of the back. Keep it level while gradually increasing the pressure (you can also use your body weight), and it will snap in.

Take care about the crystal. Don't put soft cloth underneath it as this will spread the pressure towards the middle of the crystal and potentially shatter it, just make sure there is no dirt underneath it. This of course works only with flat crystals, don't try with domed and/or acrylic crystals.

Thanks for the advice, I have now taken it to a jeweller who has asked me to leave it with him as he thinks the gasket has gone, great. He also said that at only 100m water resistant I should not go swimming or even shower with it! Now I've had this watch for 10 years and its has been my holiday watch so its been in the sea on lots of occasions without any issues.

Have I been lucky or is he talking nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by sam77
    Thanks for the advice, I have now taken it to a jeweller who has asked me to leave it with him as he thinks the gasket has gone, great. He also said that at only 100m water resistant I should not go swimming or even shower with it! Now I've had this watch for 10 years and its has been my holiday watch so its been in the sea on lots of occasions without any issues.

Have I been lucky or is he talking nonsense?
    He's talking nonsense - and you have proved him wrong. Lots of people do. 50m is enough for swimming, The gasket needing replacement probably has nothing to do with you fiddling with it by the way, gaskets get old and need replacement.

Journeyman

Usually the gasket gets treated with some white lube before snaping it back into place.
    Well thats what I observed anyways!
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by swir
    Usually the gasket gets treated with some white lube before snaping it back into place.
    Well thats what I observed anyways!
    :)
    White lube would be a bit unusual. Usually the gaskets get treated with silicone grease before installing. White lube could be silicone grease with added talcum powder, which could have further benefits, but usually silicone grease is clear.

Well hes sorted it and replaced the gasket. Only a fiver so not too bad.