closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribute to Polaris meets the Legend Diver (Pic Heavy!)

Tribute to Polaris meets the Legend Diver (Pic Heavy!)

Traded my JLC Amvox5 with this beauty couple of weeks ago. Finally got round to take the camera out. Still can't believe I have done this. When I bought the LLD, I thought the Polaris would never justify its asking price and I would never buy one. But that's only because I haven't seen it in metal. When I first saw it in the shop and handled it, I was completely blown away by its beauty. Just happened I had an Amvox5 which I was not bonding with and had been considering flipping for a while. So I took the step forward, topped up with a handsome amount of cash and took this beauty home. I still love the LLD very much, but the Polaris just has the class and air that the LLD can never match. I don't know how to put this in words. It's really not because of the brands and the price gap, but maybe of the more aged patina, super dome plexi glass? Don't know. All I know is it's has to be mine. Some shots with its modern cousin Amvox1, the LLD and the others for your viewng pleasure. Hope you'll like them. :)

Re: Tribute to Polaris meets the Legend Diver (Pic Heavy!)

Absolutely stunning!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Grail for me.
    I've previously had an amvox1 - are the cases similar in size and shape?

The Polaris is lovely, such a simple case and dial set up in terms of appreance that screams class, love it.

There is no doubt that I'm a proper JLC groupie if I can I am hoping to get a Deepsea alarm this year :drunken:

The Polaris is stunning, I'm after a deepsea myself.

A great collection you have there with several I would dearly love to own.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    Grail for me.
    In terms of shape and profile, they are very close, but in terms of dimensions, they are quite different, though both are 42mm diameter cases.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut
    The Polaris is lovely, such a simple case and dial set up in terms of appreance that screams class, love it.

There is no doubt that I'm a proper JLC groupie if I can I am hoping to get a Deepsea alarm this year :drunken:
    The Deepsea Chronograph is very nice as well. But like the Deepsea, they don't has a date window. So just don't work for me unfortunately. Saw the American and European version together in the boutique, very adorable watches indeed, only if they come with a date window.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfisti
    Grail for me.
    In terms of shape and profile, they are very close, but in terms of dimensions, they are quite different, though both are 42mm diameter cases.
    That's a good thing. I was sort of dreading finding out it was just a different dial thrown into an amvox1 case.

The Polaris is a class act, although I've still to see one in the flesh or hear the alarm.

I want to like the Amvox, but there's just something about it that doesn't sit right for me.

The LLD looks good, but in the flesh I found it didn't have the wow factor. Great VFM though.

I'd like a mechanical alarm function in my collection one day and the Polaris would be a strong contender.

The problem with the Amvox for me was the illegibility around the south end of the dial and the unbalanced look associated with this. I know it's modelled on an Aston Martin instrument panel but it ended up offending my eyes after a while.

That and the bloody internal bezel accidentally turning against my hand :twisted:

Craftsman

Wow thats a great set you have.
    Currently looking for a few of that set!
    I was on the waitlist for the polaris and got bored waiting.
    It is a beautiful watch.
    What was the issues with the amvox 5? Its looks busy to me. And i was disappointed they did not retain the glass push crystal of the 2. Btw was there a 4? I never seen one

Quote Originally Posted by irish ger
    It is a beautiful watch.
    What was the issues with the amvox 5? Its looks busy to me. And i was disappointed they did not retain the glass push crystal of the 2. Btw was there a 4? I never seen one
    As you said, the dial is busy. It's a tad too big and finds out black watch does not suit my wrist very well. Impulse buy during a hald price sale, can't say I regret the purchase, but I don't wear it enough and certainly not bonding with it, like I do on the others.

The Amvox 2 is actually on the grail list, just waiting for the right one to come my way.

On a awaiting list for the Polaris? Think it stop production a good few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut

The Deepsea Chronograph is very nice as well. But like the Deepsea, they don't has a date window. So just don't work for me unfortunately. Saw the American and European version together in the boutique, very adorable watches indeed, only if they come with a date window.

As matter of interest which did you prefer, US or European version, both seems nice and I like the US version but the off centre dial writing on the bottom half of the dial might start to gEt on my nerves but of the 2 it's the one I'm most drawn to

Tribute to Polaris meets the Legend Diver (Pic Heavy!)

I have the no date LLD and would love a Polaris - more so now
    Gray

The problem with the Amvox for me was the illegibility around the south end of the dial and the unbalanced look associated with this. I know it's modelled on an Aston Martin instrument panel but it ended up offending my eyes after a while.

That and the bloody internal bezel accidentally turning against my hand :twisted:
    The unbalanced look is fine to me. The internal bezel is too easy to turn and annoyed me like hell at first. Have to turn it back to the 12th every now and then. But it doesn't bother me at all now, I just let it rotate to where ever it fancy. Only turn it back to 12th for the photos. Still love it to bits abeit this design fault. Have been on my wrist most of the time since I bought it, have put quite a few scratches and dents on it. Hands on experience to prove Titanium is no harder or scratch resistant to stainless steel! :roll:

Grand Master

Hard to believe the Longines is 1/8th the price of that JLC!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

The unbalanced look is fine to me. The internal bezel is too easy to turn and annoyed me like hell at first. Have to turn it back to the 12th every now and then. But it doesn't bother me at all now, I just let it rotate to where ever it fancy. Only turn it back to 12th for the photos. Still love it to bits abeit this design fault. Have been on my wrist most of the time since I bought it, have put quite a few scratches and dents on it. Hands on experience to prove Titanium is no harder or scratch resistant to stainless steel! :roll:
    Overall a stunningly beautiful watch, agreed. My annoyances were minor quibbles in the grand scheme of its awsomeness :wink:

I should have tried your chilled approach but wrong bezel alignment sometimes causes me physical pain. OCD....

You are one lucky gent !!! I adore the Polaris Tribute, and must say that even with the handsome pile of cash on top of the trade, i think you ended up with something much better !! Well done ! :D

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    But as an LLD owner, very much appreciated :D :D but I agree, though ...

I'll take the Longines off your hands thankyou.
    No wait ... I want the non-date version

Lovely collection

Craftsman

Fantastic. Is the lume as bright as regular white (C3?) SL?

Master

Very very nice. I've had 2 LLDs, date and no-date, though both have left me. I'm very tempted by the Tribute To Deep Sea and had a good look hands-on a month back. It's just the cost as a stumbling block for me, as I'm trying to rationalise the value but struggling. What price exclusivity eh?!

I like the Amvox1 too, but can see your point about the lower half of the dial. So I'm erring away from that and back to the Deep Sea. For me though I want to stop spending on watches so to get one would mean selling some hard sought classics. If the value holds as well as the Polaris maybe I can justify it? :?

Anyway, enough rambling. Great collection you have there and I'm starting to share your appreciation for the JLC range and brand.

Ant

Craftsman

On a awaiting list for the Polaris? Think it stop production a good few years ago.
    It was pre release. They had a issue with the lume so it got 2 releases on slight variations of the lume. But after 14 months I went for an AP.
    I recently found the vintage aquatimer close to it. Developing a bond quickly with that one.
    Anyways wear them all in great health. Thats a fab collection

Master

Very nice, got a distinct touch of the Fifty Fathoms to it.

It is a beautiful watch.
    To answer your question regarding Amvox4, heard that JLC purposely skip the number 4 as 4 is a unlucky number for the Chinese. Same story went for the Alfa Romeo 164, they had to rename it 168 before selling it in Asia. Also heard thatmost limited edition watches with digit 8 in the number are reserved for the chinese market.

Quote Originally Posted by Plissk
    Fantastic. Is the lume as bright as regular white (C3?) SL?
    Sorry what's C3 and SL? The lume is fine, but definitely not the best out there. Problem is only the hands and 6, 9, 12 markers got lume, the rest of the markers on the dial are not functional.

Love the Polaris :love4:
    Unfortunately, I didn't move fast enough to get on the list when they were released :(
    The comparison with the Amvox is useful and, as you suggest, although they appear very similar they probably wear differently due to different materials and case depths - I need to try them both on to decide which I prefer, although I think I already know the answer :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Gelardi
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    But as an LLD owner, very much appreciated :D :D but I agree, though ...
    I agreed too. That's what I said when I bought the LLD. The LLD is exceptionally good value. Lovely watch to its own, but the Polaris really is something else. When you love something so much that money is no object. Same goes with ladies I guess.

What a seriously classy line-up of watches, you have excellent taste.

I have the steel AMVOX1 and LLD, just missing the Polaris :) ...handled a brand new one a year or two ago at the AD ...loved it, just spent out on others!

Your whole collection is 8).

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford
    Love the Polaris :love4:
    Unfortunately, I didn't move fast enough to get on the list when they were released :(
    The comparison with the Amvox is useful and, as you suggest, although they appear very similar they probably wear differently due to different materials and case depths - I need to try them both on to decide which I prefer, although I think I already know the answer :wink:
    The Polaris wear a lot bigger than the Amvox1, because of the dome plexi and also the double skins case back. The weight difference is quite substantial too, not saying the Polaris is heavy, it's just the titanium case of the Amvox1 is comically light.

Grail for me.
    That's a good thing. I was sort of dreading finding out it was just a different dial thrown into an amvox1 case.
    Absolutely not. Completely different cases, and the Polaris has 2 case backs too. The movements are also different. The Polaris has quick date setting and a new alarm mechanism.

[quote=watch-nut]
    Quote Originally Posted by "watch-nut":15llgh07

As matter of interest which did you prefer, US or European version, both seems nice and I like the US version but the off centre dial writing on the bottom half of the dial might start to gEt on my nerves but of the 2 it's the one I'm most drawn to[/quote:15llgh07]

For me definitely the European version. The off centre writing of the model makes of the US version really kills it. Apart from that the European version is a lot more classy and classical to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin
    Very nice, got a distinct touch of the Fifty Fathoms to it.
    Really? But the FF has an external bezel. Very different style if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto

I have the steel AMVOX1 and LLD, just missing the Polaris :) ...handled a brand new one a year or two ago at the AD ...loved it, just spent out on others!

Just out of interest. Why you chose the steel one over the titanium?

Master

Both stunning watches in their own right. If cash were no object yes, I would o for the JLC but if I'm truly honest I really don't know why! Probably the short sighted snob in me!

It was pre release. They had a issue with the lume so it got 2 releases on slight variations of the lume. But after 14 months I went for an AP.
    I recently found the vintage aquatimer close to it. Developing a bond quickly with that one.
    Anyways wear them all in great health. Thats a fab collection
    The Aquatimer Vintage is on my radar too. Find myself strangely drawn to the super compressor style re-issues.

Stunning collection. :rr:

Master

Love the Polaris. Beautiful collection. :)

Craftsman

both stunning

Journeyman

Great comparison loves both the Longines and the JLC's.

Not a fan of Titanium at all. And for such a classy watch, I believe it deserves and just looks right in steel.

stunning

Not a fan of Titanium at all. And for such a classy watch, I believe it deserves and just looks right in steel.
    You are right. I saw the steel one before and it's more classy than the titanium because of the shiny polish case and black dial, if I had to buy again, it would probably be the steel. But back then, I had never owned a titanium watch and want one in the collection. Having said that, I wouldn't swap now, the titanium one has its distinct appeal.

Oh wow, I totally love that Polaris and your whole collection too! Particularly the speedy, zenith, monaco, LLD.. :) I dont think I'll afford the polaris in this lifetime though, the LLD perhaps :)

Master

drool, drool, drool

especially love the Polaris - wow

Seriously stunning collection.

Journeyman

Really gorgeous Polaris!

I've got a LLD, but I'd swap it in a heartbeat for the Polaris (it would have to be a straight swap, with no cash from me :wink: )

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

the polaris is lovely.
    really lovely.

Lovely watch, but pics with the date half way through changing
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Top of my want list, that JLC. £20k, though. That's a lot of money, albeit for a lot of watch.