closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Rolex Unicorn

Vintage Rolex Unicorn

I have an option to purchase what is described as a 1928 Rolex Unicorn Watch and am looking for the help of the kind folk here on TZ who might be a little more knowledgeable than me
    I have attached two pictures.. They are not great I know but maybe somebody might be able to give a little bit of info on the particular watch and possible value?
    I have tried google of course and not a lot of info was forthcoming.
    Cheers in advance

Re: Vintage Rolex Unicorn

Morning bump.. :bounce:
    Going to look at it this lunchtime.. Anyone with any opinions whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Master

I think this was a military watch Justin. I had a Rolex SkyRocket a while back and while researching it I turned up quite a lot about the Canadian military. I think this watch was the/a predecessor to the SkyRocket.
    Not hugely valuable unless in its original box (like an oyster shape, velvet lined). I'd guess at under £500, maybe even as low as £350 although values will surely be all over the place!

Thanks Kevin. Going to meet the seller this afternoon and it looks like it has "a" box but may not be the original. I have a few questions for the seller prior to purchase but my current offer which has been accepted is €250 as seen which seems reasonable value. May take a punt on it if he can give me some background on it and if it is in as good condition as he claims. Will update later on after the F2F

It is not a military watch, those Unicorns were made well prior to WWII. The Skyrockets were a Canadian Oyster and there is no similarity.

Not an Oyster case and with a nondescript movement.

Of course there is the Rolex connection but these were made as a cheap line along with Marconi, often with plated cases.

You are not paying too much but don't expect a lot.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Gone up a bit in the past 82 years!

Silver Unicorn watches were £3.3.0... the Rolex branded watches were over a full Pound more: £4.10.0...

€250 is about the right money for this watch.

Good luck!

:)

That's an interesting page Mike.

Here's a Unicorn I picked up at a boot sale some years ago for £8.

Small second hand was broken but running OK.

The funny thing was as I was sorting through a bag of misc old watches the seller said to me, "you won't find any Rolexes in there!" :lol:

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    That's an interesting page Mike.

Here's a Unicorn I picked up at a boot sale some years ago for £8.

Small second hand was broken but running OK.

The funny thing was as I was sorting through a bag of misc old watches the seller said to me, "you won't find any Rolexes in there!" :lol:

:lol: Wonderful when they don't know what they've got. :wink:

Sorry for the mis-information, I must have it confused with something else. Maybe the Rolex Victory now I think about it.

Thanks for all the advice and help folks! I decided at the price it was worth a punt (€250).
    It's not in it's original box and has no strap but mechanically it's in perfect working order and seems to be keeping time well so far.
    Here are some more detailed pictures for anyone who is interested!
    Not sure whether the "RWC Ltd" stamp inside the back cover indicates it has any relevance to Rolex or not or what the other numbers are, other than maybe a hallmark?

The RWC is indeed Rolex watch company.

Case is sterling silver.

The hallmarks look to be Swiss but I can't see them properly.

Nice interesting piece.
    Cheers,
    Neil.