closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheapest route to Omega SMP/Speedy ownership - Bond Quartz?

Cheapest route to Omega SMP/Speedy ownership - Bond Quartz?

This might seem an odd question especially as both models are totally different, but not having been into watches that long, I'm constantly finding new/interesting watches that I want to buy, the budget slowly goes up, etc.

I was thinking the other day that at the moment I'm like a kid in a sweet shop and I need a particular watch to aim/save for.

It would always be used (unless heavilly discounted) as I like to get most bang for buck. I love the Rolex Sub & Explorer, but I'm not sure if I'd ever be that comfortable owning one, besides, the prices seem to keep going up & up so realistically for me, they are out of budget.

That brings me back to Omega, nice, understated, quality designs. I don't know the ins & outs of all the model numbers, etc, but I do know that I love either of the Speedy Pro or the 'Bond' SMP models.

Looking around in SC I can see that the SMP Bond quartz's seem to go for around £600. That's a lot of money for a quartz in my book, but as a whole package I can overlook that, and see that you are still getting a lot of watch for your money, albeit without the satisfying sweep!!

I guess my questions are, out of the SMP auto & Speedy models, are there any out there that are just a little more expensive than the Quartz Bond (second hand), or would I be looking at spending £1k plus for anything else (which I'd rather not do, £750 would be a comfortable bydget for me to add a 'nice' watch to my collection)?

Am I right in thinking there wasn't a quartz Speedmaster Pro model?

Craftsman

Re: Cheapest route to Omega SMP/Speedy ownership - Bond Quartz?

Hi! Why don't you try a WTB for the watches you want?
    You might get a well used seamaster auto for £750 but the speedmaster pro rarely comes up for sale below £1000.
    You mention adding a nice watch to your collection, what other watches do you own? could you sell any of them to afford one of the above Omegas? or just keep saving, the watch will mean much more if you save hard.
    Cheers Mick

Master

Also recently the seamaster 'bond' quartz 2541 is now going for around £700-800 depending on condition so you might need to store the budget a little

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are in to "bang for buck" I would suggest considering a Smith's Everest, a PRS-5, PRS-14 or PRS-3. All classic designs, and all will give you "the sweep". Might be all you need. If later you have the desire for an Omega or Rolex, the models mentioned are all easily traded if you need to get some money back. I like the quartz Seamaster but you *may* not be satisfied with it, knowing the auto is out there ...

Paul

Craftsman

For me the Omega SMP quartz was a good start and it took a couple of years when I felt the need
    for an automatic. Now having some automatics, I am going back to Omega quartz model, this time AT.

Don't see anything wrong with a "Bond" quartz - in fact I am thinking about getting a cheapish one just so that my lovely 2254-50 (thanks Jonathan007 - a real beaut) can become a "special occasion" watch.

Master

I went through a similar dilemma when I decided I really wanted a Speedmaster. I looked into a replica (what was I thinking!) and then the notion of finding a wrecked one to refurb.. and then just realised there is no shortcut and got saving up. If you want one bad enough, you'll put the money away to make it happen!

I'm now days away from buying a nice (hopefully) pre-owned example and really can't wait.

Master

Nothing wrong with the Seamaster quartz models. The quartz models may become a thing of the past as Omega realigns itself so if you can pick one up cheaply don't hesitate

Journeyman

Have you thought about the reduced speedmaster, with the auto movement, they are around £800

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec
    Don't see anything wrong with a "Bond" quartz - in fact I am thinking about getting a cheapish one just so that my lovely 2254-50 (thanks Jonathan007 - a real beaut) can become a "special occasion" watch.
    I can either lend, or sell you one :lol:
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman

Old 2541's do come up but £700 would be the rough asking price, I bought mine slightly cheaper but it can work out to be a false economy as I've spent atleast another £100-150 sorting the bracelet out. I took mine to an AD who in turn posted it off to Omega Switzerland and quoted £700 for a refurb!

My advice if you have a steady job and a reasonable credit history would be to go to an AD that offers 0% finance (goldsmiths/Ernest Jones etc.) and buy one for £1500 RRP If you can't get the cash together to buy a good example off the SC.

(If you put down £700 and took the £800 over 12 months, it would cost you in the region of £65 pm.)

I've done both in the past and have no complaints either way, some like finance others don't, for me it was a quick route to getting what I want and I can afford the repayments.

Last time I looked, most chain jewellers still had some of the black/ blue dial SMP Quartz in stock. You could look at autos/manual but new but I think the current list on a speedy is £2800 and maybe £2200-£2300 on an SMP :-/

Master

WTB forum is always a good idea mate, I got my Speedy for about £800 here, it is used but that is what I needed to scratch the itch and it can be refurbed latter if required. :wink:

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E
    You mention adding a nice watch to your collection, what other watches do you own? could you sell any of them to afford one of the above Omegas? or just keep saving, the watch will mean much more if you save hard.
    Cheers Mick
    I've quite a conservative collection at the mo, although none that I'd really want to sell at the moment, I can see how it's easy to trade up over time as your collection gets bigger, but I don't have that many yet. I'd rather carry on with the odd impluse buy here & there, but be setting some money aside for something in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    If you are in to "bang for buck" I would suggest considering a Smith's Everest, a PRS-5, PRS-14 or PRS-3. All classic designs, and all will give you "the sweep". Might be all you need. If later you have the desire for an Omega or Rolex, the models mentioned are all easily traded if you need to get some money back. I like the quartz Seamaster but you *may* not be satisfied with it, knowing the auto is out there ...

Paul
    The Smith's Everest is on my list, along with many others (PRS-10, PRS-5, Speedbird III), and will no doubt find myself buying one sooner or later, but I feel more comfortable just impulse buying on watches up to around £250, but for something more expensive I'd rather save separately. By the way, the 'sweep' comment was tongue in cheek, but yeah, half the problem is knowing an auto is out there and should I have waited. I'm an engineer by trade so have a real appreciation for the mechanical movements (which is funny considering I'm an electrical engineer!), and even so, the sweeping hand is nice to watch!!

Quote Originally Posted by cessna152
    Old 2541's do come up but £700 would be the rough asking price, I bought mine slightly cheaper but it can work out to be a false economy as I've spent atleast another £100-150 sorting the bracelet out. I took mine to an AD who in turn posted it off to Omega Switzerland and quoted £700 for a refurb!

My advice if you have a steady job and a reasonable credit history would be to go to an AD that offers 0% finance (goldsmiths/Ernest Jones etc.) and buy one for £1500 RRP If you can't get the cash together to buy a good example off the SC.

(If you put down £700 and took the £800 over 12 months, it would cost you in the region of £65 pm.)

I've done both in the past and have no complaints either way, some like finance others don't, for me it was a quick route to getting what I want and I can afford the repayments.

Last time I looked, most chain jewellers still had some of the black/ blue dial SMP Quartz in stock. You could look at autos/manual but new but I think the current list on a speedy is £2800 and maybe £2200-£2300 on an SMP :-/
    That would be a consideration, but if I'm honest I'd probably not buy a brand new watch of that sort of value (the same reason I don't buy brand new cars) as I wouldn't be happy losing money on it if I had to sell it later on. I do gather that the price of the quartz models are on the up, but scanning the last 6 months of SC, there has been many decent looking ones selling for £600-700. I don't mind minor marks, I'd drive myself crazy worrying with a brand new one!!

Slight spanner in the works from me is Oris, can't help wondering about pursuing a used TT1 as a short term goal, not quite an SMP, but pretty close, and very good VFM from what I've seen, even better used.

I've got both a Bond quartz (2221.80) and a Speedy pro (3570.50) and they are cracking watches and I would recommend them both to anyone. There's your exact watch in SC right now - a Bond Quartz for £700. Prices have risen recently and decent ones are £700 for the earlier models) -£850 (for the later ones). You'll be very lucky to get a Speedy pro for much below £1400 as they seem to have firmed up recently as well.

Buying a battered version for a few quid less is definitely false economy as restoration costs can be horrific!

Grand Master

I have had so many SMP's both full and mid size,and tbh I like the quartz as a pick up n go classic,a well liked and well known Omega.Mine has a ''imho'' a very nicely faded bezel,gives it character that adds something to it's appeal....for me.

Paul

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFlight
    Have you thought about the reduced speedmaster, with the auto movement, they are around £800
    +1.....I have one of these and I love it; suits my 6.75" wrist far better than the full-size moon watch.

There are several Speedmaster models with the 39mm case which use a Valjeux 7750-derived movement; wearing one as I type.

Also available in steel with black, blue or silver dials. Should be able to get a steel one for around £900.

Paul

I'd get that 2541 on sc @ £695, bloody good price these days, it won't last too long. Newer raised marker 'red' version are dearer @ £800+ depending on condition. If anyone can find a good speedy pro moon at around £1K now, as quoted above, let me know, because I'll sell mine immediately for around the going rate now of £1.5K and acquire the cheaper one :D

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    I'd get that 2541 on sc @ £695, bloody good price these days, it won't last too long. Newer raised marker 'red' version are dearer @ £800+ depending on condition. If anyone can find a good speedy pro moon at around £1K now, as quoted above, let me know, because I'll sell mine immediately for around the going rate now of £1.5K and acquire the cheaper one :D
    Best sell it soon with the impending RRP reductions on the way :wink:

Master

As it happens there's a Bond Quartz on sale at the SC