timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: microrotor watches

Re: microrotor watches

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeo
    This is mine..
    Crazy thin.

Wow, this looks good. What are the dimensions of the case, and how old is it please? :)

A lot of the Pateks have microrotors - they make the movement look more intricate and beautiful IMO. The Worldtimer and 5712 are my fave's.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBoy

I am puzzled that Chopard tends to be rather overlooked and less discussed on watch forums. They are up there with the best, in my view.
    They are much more popular in the real world than on watch forums. The Mille Miglia range has been a huge seller for them.

Their top-end stuff is as good as anybody's.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

In answer to mr davinci
    Wow, this looks good. What are the dimensions of the case, and how old is it please? :)

The watch is a universal golden shadow.
    BIg article here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Gen%C3%A8ve
    Case is 34mm, and only 2/5mm thick excluding the crystal.
    dated to 1965 and the thinnest auto watch at teh time I believe.
    This was the first nice watch I bought myself, and easily the most beautiful..

Grand Master

this watch is now with me :D , i'm away for a couple of days tomorrow, and i'll be wearing it so i'll report back 8)

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by 9:59
    Have this one in my collection.

Aristo with an ronda Harley micro rotor engine.

Hans

Zeno used to offer a model with the same movement (a tad more posh) but when I tried to order it Eddie put me off due to the power reserve. Are you having any issues with it?

john
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Besides several Calibre 12 microrotor watches, I had this Hamilton (Buren):

Trust me, there's a microrotor in there.

The prettiest today must be the Guinand Buren 12 Chronomatic.

john
    This looks like a fantastic watch. The case-work looks very high-class, and the movement is very pretty.

Where is the rotor? Can you see it move at all, or is it completely concealed?

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    tell me more.....at some point i want to add a vintage Polerouter (not now, too poor :( ), but i'd like to see other makes too, are there modern makers at a reasonable price - say £400-£500ish, and how efficient is the winding compared with full size rotors?
    i'm tempted due to the lower profile afforded by a micro rotor!is there a cheap option out there?
    your thoughts, suggestions and especially pictures and experiences all appreciated and thanks in advance!
    The early citizen autos used a similar solution to the beautiful Carl f. Bucherer pictured earlier:

It can be found in watches such as the citizen jet, Super precision, Automated, etc.

These can often be picked up in good condition for under $100...

Quote Originally Posted by robcat

Trust me, there's a microrotor in there.

The prettiest today must be the Guinand Buren 12 Chronomatic.

john
    This looks like a fantastic watch. The case-work looks very high-class, and the movement is very pretty.

Where is the rotor? Can you see it move at all, or is it completely concealed?
    The micro-rotor can only be viewed with the movement out of the case, its visible from the side.

Regards,

James.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat

Re: the Guinand Buren 12 Chronomatic

Unfortunately the price of it went up by 50% the last couple of years. They are all pricing themselves out of the market. :(

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Grand Master

well, it's been on wrist for three days now, and is keeping time well, no power reserve issues here....
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    this watch is now with me :D , i'm away for a couple of days tomorrow, and i'll be wearing it so i'll report back 8)

Quote Originally Posted by 9:59
    Have this one in my collection.

Aristo with an ronda Harley micro rotor engine.

Hans

Zeno used to offer a model with the same movement (a tad more posh) but when I tried to order it Eddie put me off due to the power reserve. Are you having any issues with it?

john
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamboat10

The micro-rotor can only be viewed with the movement out of the case, its visible from the side.

Regards,

James.

I like that a lot. The movement looks very pretty, in a functional way, plus it almost hides it's ingenuity.

Craftsman

Very nice, are there any special advantages to micro rotors? I can imagine that the do not have the '7750' sound but apart from that...?

Craftsman

Very nice, are there any special advantages to micro rotors? I can imagine that the do not have the '7750' sound but apart from that...?
    The advantage is that the design allows a thinner movement, therefore a thinner watch or more room for other complications.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    The advantage is that the design allows a thinner movement, therefore a thinner watch or more room for other complications.
    This is true but it also means that the mass of the rotor is reduced and therefore not very efficient at generating or maintaining a power reserve. You would need to be extremely active to keep a microrotor watch running by automatic winding alone.

When the calibre 10 chronograph was introduced, this already had a chronograph module on a standard movement and to put a rotor on top of that it would have been way too thick. That's when someone came up with the idea of a microrotor recessed into the movement.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

This is true but it also means that the mass of the rotor is reduced and therefore not very efficient at generating or maintaining a power reserve. You would need to be extremely active to keep a microrotor watch running by automatic winding alone.
    I can't speak for any other movements, but I have a Call 11 Heuer and have had a Cal 12, and they've both been fine without any manual winding needed to top up. I don't doubt that it's less efficient, but the two movements above at least seem practical enough as daily wearers - and I'm not the most active person in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by JimH

When the calibre 10 chronograph was introduced, this already had a chronograph module on a standard movement and to put a rotor on top of that it would have been way too thick. That's when someone came up with the idea of a microrotor recessed into the movement.

Eddie
    The mass might be smaller, but the real determinant is the mainspring strength. You'll need more torque to wind a stronger spring, so it's doubtful you could get a monster like the Zenith EP's single mainspring wound with a small microrotor, but presumably one could just design a movement that required less torque to wind by using a weaker mainspring. Reducing the torque needed to run the movement (smaller balance, lower vph, fewer complications) can also get the power reserve up to a more practical level.

Chopard in their LUC X.96 impressively got a micro-rotor movement to wind a dual mainspring barrel with 65hr reserve, as well as using a 28800vph balance. Piaget manages 'only' a 44hr reserve on a 21,600vph movement.

Having said that I haven't seen any modern microrotor movements that didn't have the oscillating weight in gold or tungsten or some other very very heavy metal.

Banned
    A blast from the past - after almost 2 years of development - here's an affordable micro-rotor that's going to Kickstarter in July/August - (full disclosure - it's my own brand) - the Sólás Starlight.

Can confirm that the rotor is a tungsten alloy which negates the problem with winding efficiency. Patek uses gold of course, but the Starlight probably costs a fraction of the Patek's rotor cost (at circa £320-360ish - 349-399 euro)

Here's a pic btw (it has an aventurine dial and exhibition micro-rotor back). The picture is from a prototype 2 generations ago but I'm hoping to get the last final production version from the factory in 2 weeks to take new pictures of:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    What is the disadvantage with a micro-rotor? I've always thought that if they were good movements then they would still be plentiful today. Is it something to do with a reduced winding efficency?
    Ye cannae change the laws of physics.

A small rotor is never as efficient as a bigger one, it can’t be. I’ve never found them appealing.

The Omega 1010 was a very slim movement with a full- size rotor, proved it could be done in the early 70s.

I’ve serviced precisely one micro- rotor movement, can’t remember what it was but it struck me as a daft idea.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Ye cannae change the laws of physics.

A small rotor is never as efficient as a bigger one, it can’t be. I’ve never found them appealing.

The Omega 1010 was a very slim movement with a full- size rotor, proved it could be done in the early 70s.

I’ve serviced precisely one micro- rotor movement, can’t remember what it was but it struck me as a daft idea.
    That’s not entirely true Paul, it all depends on the material that the rotor is made of and where the centre of mass lies relative to the centre of rotation.
    A heavier metal micro rotor (gold, platinum, tungsten etc) can be just as efficient as a full size steel rotor.
    Ultimately though, as long as the winding is adequate to keep the main spring fully wound then it’s all irrelevant anyway.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s not entirely true Paul, it all depends on the material that the rotor is made of and where the centre of mass lies relative to the centre of rotation.
    A heavier metal micro rotor (gold, platinum, tungsten etc) can be just as efficient as a full size steel rotor.
    Ultimately though, as long as the winding is adequate to keep the main spring fully wound then it’s all irrelevant anyway.
    Even using a denser material, a small rotor is struggling to generate as much torque when it moves ( unless the law of the lever has changed?)

As for fully winding the mainspring, that depends on other factors such as the strength of the spring and the gearing of the winding wheels. Lower gearing has an adverse effect on winding efficiency, and a softer mainspring means less torque applied to the train wheels so the amplitude will be limited.

Compromises have to be made to accommodate a rotor which, for a given amount of motion imparted by the wearer if the watch, won’t produce as much torque. The only upside is a slimmer movement, which some manufacturers achieved by using conventional design.

I’m definitely not a fan!

Considering the quality of the movements with micro rotor (PP, Piaget, Chopard, etc.) I don't think efficiency is such an issue. It is an extremely elegant solution to showcase the calibre on an automatic watch. While it may indeed come with a reduced torque compared with a full sized steel rotor (with no holes), the brands above and more haven't evidenced any issues in term of reliability, maintenance or anything.
    It is possible that they are more delicate to service, however.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Even using a denser material, a small rotor is struggling to generate as much torque when it moves ( unless the law of the lever has changed?)

As for fully winding the mainspring, that depends on other factors such as the strength of the spring and the gearing of the winding wheels. Lower gearing has an adverse effect on winding efficiency, and a softer mainspring means less torque applied to the train wheels so the amplitude will be limited.

Compromises have to be made to accommodate a rotor which, for a given amount of motion imparted by the wearer if the watch, won’t produce as much torque. The only upside is a slimmer movement, which some manufacturers achieved by using conventional design.

I’m definitely not a fan!
    That's not the only upside - aesthetically is probably the main reason nowadays as it allows unobstructed viewing of high end finishing. This Laurent Ferrier is the best example of why micro rotors are popular -

Having said aesthetics are the main reason, in terms of thinness, the Bvlgari Octo wouldn't be possible otherwise -

Grand Master
    Still not a fan!

I’m happy to cover a movement up with a metal caseback.

Still not a fan!

I’m happy to cover a movement up with a metal caseback.
    Heathen, burn him!!!!

Having said all of that about micro-movements, it is entirely possible to have outstanding full rotor autos. This is my favourite auto movement (note the Gronefeld brothers decidedly did not want a micro-rotor auto movement when designing, due to the winding efficiency).

The modern method of allowing the movement to be seen in autos is the Peripheral Rotor...

The Peripheral Rotor
    https://monochrome-watches.com/techn...matic-winding/

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php...ripheral_rotor
    Last edited by abraxas; 29th June 2020 at 10:37.