closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home made watches (VERY PIC HEAVY)

Home made watches (VERY PIC HEAVY)

Home made watches…..well, it became an obsession a few years ago. It has been a while since I have not done any new franken watch, I became too frustrated of trying to source all the elements together. It seems easy, but it is not. You have two ways, the avenue of the bespoke watch, and get ready to pay thousands of euros, or the avenue of the Franken watch: trying to source dials, hands, movements and cases.

Movements:

Sourcing movements is probably the easiest part. With a bit of patience you can find a variety of watch movement, although ETA movements can be very expensive and somewhat difficult to source (specially chrono movements like the 7750). Lately the seagull and other chinese movements are a cheaper alternative, notably for the chronometers. But even their prices have risen in the last few years.

You may want to go the vintage way. This way I was able to source a few AS2063 from a few vintage donor watches (pretty uninteresting I must say, so no regrets). And even older movements. But the older the movements, the more difficult it will be to find adequate hands, cases dials, etc…..

If you are a watchmaker, you will do fine. But if you are not, there is a high probability of spoiling some movements in the process of building your own watch (Ouch!).

Dials

The most difficult part of making your own watch is sourcing an adequate dial. Not only you need to find one that fits the movement but also the case. And that is sooo difficult that you may want to try to do your own dials. Bob Frazier has a thread on this topic. On my side I use photoshop for designing the watch dials, I printed them using photographic paper, cut the dial (including the holes) and then coat them with a compound that would create an enamel film over the picture. This way you can create some dials. But let me be clear: most of the guys around here will think they look horrible. So not for everybody´s taste. And I you are doing a chronometer, placing each of the sub dials holes can be more difficult than initially thought. So castrating the subdials may be the better solution (but the chances of spoiling movements in the castration process is pretty high).

Here is an example of a home made dial design.

[img]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/angeche/IKEPODCHRONOcopia.jpg
    [/img]

You may be able to find generic submariner dials on the bay. They do source from time to time. And you may ask a preofessional redialer. But be prepared to pay…. A lot….

Hands

If you are using generic movements like the ETA 2824s or 2892s you will be able to find some generic hands (mercedes and the like). But finding specific designs is pretty difficult, even impossible. And for a 7750 even finding the correct dials

Cases

Frustrating. You can find a good source but the chances are that it is going to be short lived. I was lucky enough to source a few ones from Germany and the bay (zenith) some years ago and basically that was it. And remember the cases are movement specific so sometimes you source a good case only to become aware that you will never find the correct movement for it (look at the Breitling bullcase below to understand what I am talking about).

Well, enough is enough, I hope you find the watches below amusing (either in a positive r negative way!). My recommendation? Buy a watch from Eddie rather than going the Franken way…..

The cronographs

This movement and dial, a Valjoux 7763, came from a O&W military watch with a very bad case. The dial is too small for this case but I like the looks of it:

A lefty doctor´s watch with a Chinese 7750:

I like the Antartida image in the dials:

Here I bought the components from a watchmaker and built it. A pretty plain vanilla work and a nice Valjoux 7751

In this one I tried to preserve the three sub dials and it was a pain to have them properly located (another Chinese 7750):

This one has a very colourful subdial that is in fact a map of the erath from the north pole:

And this one went smoothly. Nice dial, nice hands….

The non.chronometers

This one is probably my favourite. It was done by a watchmaker from components I sourced and designed. The dial is, yet again, done using an old earth map seen from the north pole. The case is an Ikepod, and the movement a 2893 with a GMT hand.

This one fits an AS2063 in a nice case. The dial is home made, so controversial for sure…:

This one is made in titanium. Clean work:

I have also used some “donor” cases of uncertain origin….

The next one is a good example of the difficulties of sourcing components: I have not found yet a nice crown for the Unitas movement:

These were quite simple to work with (although sourcing the GMT hand, an Omega legit hand, was a pain…)

Do notice that the dial was too small. A bit of red thick paper helped (and IMHO gives a nice touch to the dial).

The vintages

We could say you enter the land of miserable failure: too horrible dials for too nice movements. Oh, well….

And a mixed group of watches with different donor cases (some of them Zenith):

The next project deserved a special thread when I did it. I found on the bay a beautiful bullhead breitling case and dial for a valjoux 7740. I tought I could source the movement. I was wrong. I though a Valjoux 7734 would fit. It didn´t. The result is a mess, and an expensive one:

That´s it! Too long, I am sure….

Banned

Re: Home made watches (VERY PIC HEAVY)

You sir,are a genius.

Master

So cool.

There is one with green glass and ROLEXROLEX engraved rehaut.... :D

Wow, what an epic post. That was great to look through. Thanks for posting.

regards,
    Nick

Great stuff.

Very interesting. I can see why you like that Ikepod cased one.

I am a big fan of mods. I wish more people modded their watches. Would make a nice departure instead of just seeing the same generic watches over and over again.

Thanks for posting, Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by esm
    So cool.

Well, when you can afford to you can mod your own Rolex as well :lol:

Great to see so much work though - I wouldn't know where to start, or be able to/trust myself with a movement or hands.
    It's just a matter of time...

wow very impressive and some nice quirky pieces :)

What a great post.
    Enjoyed reading and looking, thanks.

Chris.

Nice work!

I guess some of the designs are tongue in cheek?

The quirky 'wavy' fonts and strange hand combinations (the "eiger" with the thinnest minute hand ever?!) are not my cup of tea, but I take my hat off to your experimenting. :D

I would also like to congratulate you on your efforts angeche. Whilst none of the pieces you posted are my cup of tea, they are unique! I am trying to source a reasonably priced Unitas 6498 movement for a project I have in mind. Where have you picked yours up from?

Journeyman

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by esm
    So cool.

I thought of not posting it, but in the end it is very clear I am not trying to do a fake...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    I guess some of the designs are tongue in cheek?

The quirky 'wavy' fonts and strange hand combinations (the "eiger" with the thinnest minute hand ever?!) are not my cup of tea, but I take my hat off to your experimenting. :D
    Of course some of the designs are tongue in cheek (have you seen the HOME MADE in the dials?). As for the Eiger, it was a miserable failure but also a lesson for those thinking of modding: I was not able to source better hands, or a decent crown. On that one I did the display back myself (another sh***y work).

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect
    I am trying to source a reasonably priced Unitas 6498 movement for a project I have in mind. Where have you picked yours up from?
    I have bough them from movement supliers (Cousins and the like) and even the bay. But read above: sourcing hands or crowns can be painful....

What great fun - I bet the swear box gained a few pounds too :wink:
    Gray

Master

Brilliant.......it's great to see individual creations. Well done :thumbright:

Really interesting (in a good way). Thanks so much.

Blog Entries

I am rather impressed!

very good wish i could do something like you, excellent! How do you print logo on dial?

Craftsman

Awesome work.

I'd love to have a go a this but I have no patience whatsoever.

I love your custom dials, really cool.

Really interesting to see one mans interprutation(s) of a self made.

I've considered doing one of these myself. I was basically going to grab a cheap anonamous franken from the bay and then use a form of print to replace the look on the dial.

Hmmm... you may have just triggered something here.

Cheers - Darren

Craftsman

excellent :) :)

please, do not stop, keep up the great work, have you thought of offering any of them for sale ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucks
    How do you print logo on dial?
    As said, I use photoshp to design them and a photo printer to print the dial in the desired size...

Quote Originally Posted by oldstock
    have you thought of offering any of them for sale ?.
    No, never I would sell any of those...

Many thanks for the comments, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    I bet the swear box gained a few pounds too :wink:
    You bet...... :D

Master

Very good post, thankss for sharing your passion.

One of the most impressive posts I've seen on here, fantastic work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakir Khaja
    Very good post, thankss for sharing your passion.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner
    One of the most impressive posts I've seen on here, fantastic work.
    Thanks, guys. I have really appreciated that it has been the older members the ones that have been more interested by this thread.

Craftsman

Excellent ,youve been very dedicated to the cause......well done :mrgreen:

Ingenious..

Very interesting post - thank you. I like the moonphase out of all the watches, except for the hands. Well done though :)

Craftsman

Stunning stuff. Really like the 'plain' chrono, I'd have one anytime. Very impressive your work and the pics are great too. Keep it up and lets see how you get on.

Only wish I had your skills and patience,,,,,

Well done
    and thanks

Am really liking some of those. The Ti one looks very clean, great work 8)

Great work!

(But you know the spelling is 'Arctic' and 'Antarctic', not 'Artic' and 'Antartic' right?!?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bozza
    Great work!

(But you know the spelling is 'Arctic' and 'Antarctic', not 'Artic' and 'Antartic' right?!?)
    Well, in spanish is Artico and Antartico

Journeyman

Nice work!

Here in my hometown is a electronics hobbyist shop which does laser engraving and cutting for 25-50€ per sheet, when the customer has the drawing prepared in cad format ready to be cut. I think that could be great for making the dials, it could be worth to check if there is such a service available local to you? If you are interested in experimenting other methods for dial making, that is.