closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1942 Heuer 2 button Flieger

1942 Heuer 2 button Flieger

I thought I'd share these snaps of a rather rare Heuer. I know we get to see many a Heuer Chrono from the 60s and 70s on here but not that many from the 40s

A 2 button Heuer 1942 Flieger

It's coming from a guy who was gifted it from his Grandfather. His Grandfather got it from a German Bomber at the end of the war. The German pilot used it to time his bomb dropping escapades over the London!

Excuse the bracelet!

Craftsman

Re: 1942 Heuer 2 button Flieger

Nice.

You can see where TAG got the idea for the Targa Florio...

Quote Originally Posted by Podie
    Nice.

You can see where TAG got the idea for the Targa Florio...

Yes well spotted. Tag did indeed use the 2 button Flieger as inspiration even though the original has no Motorsport connections - well not exactly.... Fangio was supposed to wear one

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy
    I thought I'd share these snaps of a rather rare Heuer. I know we get to see many a Heuer Chrono from the 60s and 70s on here but not that many from the 40s

A 2 button Heuer 1942 Flieger

It's coming from a guy who was gifted it from his Grandfather. His Grandfather got it from a German Bomber at the end of the war. The German pilot used it to time his bomb dropping escapades over the London!

Excuse the bracelet!
    Oooh lovely piece - get that on a nice strap and you have a stunner :-)

What a catch!

Congrats.

An important piece of history no matter what the idiot PC brigade says.

Will you put it on a period strap?

Craftsman

Sorry, wearing a Targa Florio today, so spotted the link.

Lovely to see the old Heuer though. Are you intending to have it restored in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    What a catch!

Congrats.

I think that will be the plan.

I appreciate some will find its history a little uncomfortable and I'm acquiring it as I've always wanted one of theese watches and not because of the historical context. But as you say an important piece of history non the less

Quote Originally Posted by Podie
    Sorry, wearing a Targa Florio today, so spotted the link.

Lovely to see the old Heuer though. Are you intending to have it restored in any way?
    I think this is one watch I'll look to service but leave the external appearance just how it is, I kind of think it deserves that!

Craftsman

What a catch!

Congrats.

I appreciate some will find its history a little uncomfortable and I'm acquiring it as I've always wanted one of theese watches and not because of the historical context. But as you say an important piece of history non the less
    Yet, if it had been from a Spitfire, it would have been revered.

I agree that it's an important piece of history, not just an interesting watch. Some may consider its original use "distasteful" but, you cannot just remember the "good" bits of history.

What a catch!

Congrats.

Any idea of what the original strap looked like - was it one of those 'button' jobs?

What a catch!

Congrats.

Any idea of what the original strap looked like - was it one of those 'button' jobs?
    I'm building up reference shots at the moment. I've seen them on Natos and Bunds which I think are too late for it and simple black and brownn leathers, some with buttons.

That's pretty amazing Thomas you must be well chuffed
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman

Beautiful watch, congrats!

I found it's history rather interesting as you can't blame the watch for what ever some person wearing it has done. Well i'm not from UK so I might have a little different perspective, but then again if this would have been watch used by Allied bomber dropping bombs to German cities would it then be more desirable? Probably the guy who used the watch during the war wasn't somekind evil nazi, just a soldier who did what his country asked from him and had very little choice on that. I would not have any problems with having soviet watch used in similar situation in Finland, but I'm not really into the soviet watches. I think history makes it eben better piece, not the opposite.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by juusom
    Beautiful watch, congrats!

I found it's history rather interesting as you can't blame the watch for what ever some person wearing it has done. Well i'm not from UK so I might have a little different perspective, but then again if this would have been watch used by Allied bomber dropping bombs to German cities would it then be more desirable? Probably the guy who used the watch during the war wasn't somekind evil nazi, just a soldier who did what his country asked from him and had very little choice on that. I would not have any problems with having soviet watch used in similar situation in Finland, but I'm not really into the soviet watches. I think history makes it eben better piece, not the opposite.
    Good point.

Thinking laterally... look at how car fans have loved to see the Auto Unions.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Excellent find.. You must be well chuffed.

The history behind it is interesting, but it's been and gone.. let it enjoy a peaceful retirement. :)

Its a lovely watch Bootsy.
    I agree with all of your plans for it - a good sevice & the right style strap for it. I know Nic had a 1 button version on his website. It may be useful as inspiration for a strap.
    How wide is the case ?

I think the folks over on Chronocentric would enjoy this story too.
    Cheers - Darren

Grand Master

lovely watch, it deserves a good service and to be worn. great find!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Thanks Darren,

I will share once I get it in my sweaty palms and take some more pics

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Cal.11/12
    Its a lovely watch Bootsy.
    I agree with all of your plans for it - a good sevice & the right style strap for it. I know Nic had a 1 button version on his website. It may be useful as inspiration for a strap.
    How wide is the case ?

I think the folks over on Chronocentric would enjoy this story too.
    Cheers - Darren

Really nice find Thomas! 8)

I can't understand how someone could part with such a significant family heirloom though?

Very interesting indeed.

Is it Luftwaffe marked?

Should be unless a private purchase.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Very interesting indeed.

Is it Luftwaffe marked?

Should be unless a private purchase.

Ideally it should have the 'Kampfgeschwader' markings

The snap back case back seems to have been marked to almost hide the original markings which could be part of its rich history. I'll be able to assess better soon

Interesting watch and a great story . . . well done!!

I've got one of the two-button guys (shown in the top photo) and two of the one-button guys (shown in the bottom two photos).

I have included yours, below the hash-line, so that we can see all four samples, and study the differences and similarities.

I like the style of these watches; they are fun to wear. Some of these have markings on the case-backs; some people debate the authenticity of these markings; some debate the "correctness" of buying / wearing these watches.

I bought my two-button sample from an Israeli watch collector. We met late one night, at a gas station, in a remote area of Israel (far from the major cities) and the deal was done / money changed hands. Whatever the PC types will say, I felt a certain satisfaction in buying this one from an Israeli (who is a Holocaust survivor), as we shared coffee and stories, in the middle of Israel. Others can decide what is and is not "correct" . . . I enjoyed "reclaiming" it and saw some irony in that the watch of the German pilot had ended up in the possession of a Holocaust survivor (who then sold the watch to me).

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yet another interesting piece of history.

Speaking out against these watches is nutty and simply taking PC too far.

First of all, they are inanimate objects.

If anything, they serve to remind younger generations about the 'bad' old days and how they should not be repeated.

Yet another reason to preserve them.

The watch itself hasn't done any harm I guess. I really like most of the military watches. Although the design will have followed the function most of them appeal to what I look for in a watch. Those Heuers are a prime example of that.

The watch has a historical history, does it really matter......its a piece of our history and should be shown and worn, beautifull Heuer imho

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64
    The watch has a historical history, does it really matter......its a piece of our history and should be shown and worn, beautifull Heuer imho
    :scratch:

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64
    :scratch:

The watch is historical, as being used by a German bomber, so its historic.
    Does it really matter if it was a German, all the men fought under command, most didnt like it but it was orders no matter what country they fought for.
    Its a part of 20th century history.

Let it be worn and shown

Simples :mrgreen:

By the way I would love a watch like that, its very nice and I wouldnt really touch it apart from a period strap and service, the face has seen too much to restore

1942 Heuer 2 button Flieger

Quite rare survivors, it will be interesting to see what the markings might reveal.
    Gray

Nice vintage Heuer one you don't see often.I belong to a few forums I remember over at MWR forum a few years ago we had the same thing said about some WW2 German military watches about right or wrong.To me it's just history.My Dad was in WW2 and my friends Dad well I bought a Japanese Honda I am cheap when it comes to gas.Well it don't bother my Dad he will get in the Honda for a drive.But my friends Dad will never get in a Japanese car even if it was made after the war and they both fought in the Pacific funny what objects will do.

I have no problem with military divers and pilots watches and submariners watches and a host of other military watches and their histories. I guess it depends how one defines "military" I would, however, not be interested in owning or wearing a watch that was known to have been used, for example, to time how long to leave gas in a chamber to clear before reentering - and if I came across one, I would donate it to a museum.

I don't have a problem with this "air force" branded watch either, although from previous posting experience, plenty do:

Gray

Yet another interesting piece of history.

Speaking out against these watches is nutty and simply taking PC too far.

First of all, they are inanimate objects.

If anything, they serve to remind younger generations about the 'bad' old days and how they should not be repeated.

Yet another reason to preserve them.
    I would probably mostly agree but although they are inanimate objects the association will always be there (the reason MilSubs fetch so much money....association)

Everybody has there own feelings I guess, especially about the Nazi regime and who fought for it.

Years ago I bought a large job lot of all original Nazi stuff, daggers, etc (no watches) that I got from a house clearance.

I posted about it on here and got a fair bit of interest from some and a fair bit of grief from a young Jewish bloke who used to be a regular on here.

He was obviously too young to have been involved in the holocaust but I guess he may have had relatives who were.

I couldn't argue with his POV to be honest.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

There is, I suppose, German Military issue kit and Nazi artefacts which are not necessarily the same thing - but of course the edges do quickly become blurred. Historical significance has it's place, but so do the feelings that can be triggered by inanimate objects.
    Gray

1930s pilot's watches.

The case design itself is from the late '20s, tho I have to agree that the chronos did not start appearing until the early '30s. My feeling is that it was a civilian pilot's watch (design) that was commandeered by the military. I may go as far as to say that it was probably the progenitor of famous (or infamous) Tutima, Hanhart, and Glashutte military chronos of the late '30s.

http://www.onthedash.com/pages/kk.shtml

john
    THIN is the new BLACK