closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Removing a gold mesh strap - no spring bars!

Removing a gold mesh strap - no spring bars!

I have had my Grandads Gold Omega geneve for afew years now, but it is on a solid fixed gold bracelet, i really want to wear it but it far too big for me and un adjustable, Who can i send it to, to remove the bracelet without damaging it, and thus allowing me to fit a nice leather strap?
    It has holes for spring bars already, so strap fitting wouldn't be a problem!

Some pictures to help describe the watch better (excuse them again, untill i get a better camera my iphone will have to do!)
    Also can anyone recommend a nice strap? any examples?

thanks!

Journeyman

Re: Removing a gold mesh strap - no spring bars!

You say it has holes for spring bars, if you can see the holes on the outside of the lugs push a large pin into the hole and compress the spring bar while gently pulling the bracelet away from the watch. If the bracelet is a permanent fixture ie. soldered you need to take it to a watch maker to have it removed.

There will be spring bars I think, just hidden away.
    Either compress from the outside or buy a strap changing tool.

FYI these can be shortened by a goldsmith, although permanantly, about £50-£100 I guess
    Goof luck, Colin.

It's deffinatly soldered on, I didn't want to get the bracelet shortened, just have it refitted when my wrists are the right size oneday...maybe!

So will goldsmiths remove the bracelet for me in store??

....or is it something I could do myself? I'm a dab hand with a soldering iron on circuit boards, or we talking of a different kind of solder here..?

Grand Master

id get it shortened, it shouldn't be an expensive job especially if you come to an arrangement with the jeweller with regard to the excess gold...
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I'd rather keep the length of the bracelet, as my wrists arnt massive at my current age, when i put on afew stone in later life I'd like to be able to wear the watch on the gold.

Any recommendations for a good jewler that isn't goldsmiths in the east midlands?

As I said before, I think the bracelet is held by pins.
    There were Omega which had integral/soldered bracelets, I don't think this is one.

I mean a good goldsmith to shorten the bracelet, not Goldsmiths the chain. (A goldsmith is a trade, ie a person who works with gold)

You are spoiled where you are, the jewelery quarter in Birmingham will have lots of competent jewelers.
    Find a good one, he will be able to remove the bracelet.
    If it is soldered, I'm not sure whether it could be removed and replaced easily or at a reasonable cost.

Good luck with it.

Colin.

Dependant on where in the East Mids you are, but D Nathan Jewellers in Burton on Trent should be able to help...

Quote Originally Posted by BCD
    I'd rather keep the length of the bracelet, as my wrists arnt massive at my current age, when i put on afew stone in later life I'd like to be able to wear the watch on the gold.

Any recommendations for a good jewler that isn't goldsmiths in the east midlands?

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr
    As I said before, I think the bracelet is held by pins.
    There were Omega which had integral/soldered bracelets, I don't think this is one.

Deffinatly 100% not held by pins! It's all genuine omega, all ties in with omega vintage site(which seems to have disappeared, otherwise I'd post up the reference number)

I'll look into the bloke at burton, I'm only up a38.

Grand Master

I enquired about having a soldered bracelet removed on a watch I considered buying.

I was told that some watch cases have soldered lugs; the heating involved to remove the bracelet can potentially soften the solder on the lugs too. However, someone had to solder the bracelet on in the first place, so surely the same risk was present?

Someone good should be able to do this work. Obviously, the watch movement needs to come out of the case :) Don`t take it to some numpty who doesn`t know how to do it, or offers to send it away. Find a working goldsmith who will do the job himself.

Looking at the pictures, I`m surprised it's soldered on; there appears to be a gap at the back of the bracelet end between the case? Suggest the OP takes this to someone who knows what he's doing.

As for shortening the bracelet, yes it can be done. However, a Milanese bracelet on a thin wrist usually ends up with too much strain as it curves around the wrist (just after the lugs) causing it to stretch and damage. I`ve seen a few of these on my travels. The Milanese bracelets were v. fashionable in the 60s but, personally, I don`t like them. Don`t mind a nice gold bracelet but not these.

hope this helps,

Paul

I sure cant see any solder in your pics, can you actually see solder?