View Poll Results: 16600 or 16610LV

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll

29 51.79%
  • 16610LV

27 48.21%

Thread: 16600 or 16610LV? Help & views very much appreciated

16600 or 16610LV? Help & views very much appreciated

I'm really in a quandary, and wonder whether the learned membership here can help me to come to a decision one way or another.

I'm obviously very much in the vintage camp, but have decided that it's also sensible to have one modern sports watch as an all-round, all-purpose keeper. I've actually got one - a beautiful and mint 16600 from 2006 - but I've always loved the 16610LV and regard it as far and away the best of the modern Submariners. It would also serve my purposes admirably, and in fact might just be a little more versatile being IMO slightly more suitable for those dressy occasions. I'm therefore thinking of a possible trade, or in any event wondering whether I should stick or change.

So, my quandary is simple... 16600 or 16610LV; there are absolutely no alternatives whatsoever in which I'm interested, and with that in mind I'd be grateful if you could cast your vote and offer any advice you think relevant.

Many thanks, guys.

Craftsman

Re: 16600 or 16610LV? Help & views very much appreciated

I voted LV. Had one before, plus you can fit a black bezel inlay to make two watches / looks.

With regards to the 16600, personally I would rather have a matte dial 16660.

Master

LV here to, but i would change the bezel to black and remove the cyclops 8)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

16600 - stick.. oddly I just chose one over a LV yesterday.

id go no cyclops over cyclops any day of the week, and a mint sd would be harder to get back.. there seems to be more decent lvs about these days.

Master

definitley 16600 for me
    although the LV with a black insert is pretty tempting

Quote Originally Posted by holmefield
    I voted LV.
    With regards to the 16600, personally I would rather have a matte dial 16660.
    That doesn't help with the triple 6 ;)

Ok - if I didn't already have the 16600 covered it would always be a 16600 SD first and foremost - it is the best watch for me ever - there is no other.

However, having this covered and looking at the rest - the LV stands out - it is the only Maxi dial (leaving out vintage) sub pre super case.

Generally, I have noticed a nice LV is priced slightly higher than the SD at present. I can't see why to be honest - but who knows which way things will go in the future - I have a feeling the sub may go higher still simply for the colour and dial combo and the fact their have been 16660's and 16600's since the 80's - so a long production run of essentially the same watch case and depth rating with for the most part the same dials - exception of trit etc.

So... It is a good comparison and one I have most recently been involved in - I went for both, there was no other option for me to be honest, as I would have regretted not getting the other.

I will be changing the bezel insert on one of my LV's now that I have a few :) - I originally requested black bezels and the removal of cyclops for my original LV orders - funnily enough the reply from the AD in connection with their chat with Rolex was along the lines of they would not allow the bastardisation of their watches in this way - shame.
    It's just a matter of time...

I vote for LV. I have one with 3bezel(green,black,blue) and if I change the bezel alwas have a feeling I have new watch.... :lol:
    (sorry for my english)

So difficult :(

Master

the dial hands and the protruding crystal, put me off the SD i like the new sub range but would be very happy with a modded lv, i would even put up with that awful clasp :D

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

well.. why not just save up for a couple of months (or whatever you do) and get the LV without sacrificing the sd?

if you can't decide now.. there's no point really in polling us lot for answers.
    sit on the decision for a while and see if it gets clearer.

not being rude but there's a high chance everything will change again in a month :)

they say act in haste repent at lesiure, we've all had that one in the wis world.

I have the answer. It satisfies the urge for green. It consummates the need for distinctiveness. You get to keep the 16600, wear it, and even preserve some of it's mintyness.

The bad news ? I regret it will cost you five pounds. Put the world's finest modern watch on a Timefactors olive drab canvas strap.

Seriously, it works. It has to be the olive. The very slight green from the plots is what makes it click.

I just ordered another for mine, worried that by the time I wear this one out, by my luck they may be unobtainable.

Paul

16610LV Tony. After I bought a 1665, the magic of my 16600 was gone forever.

Master

The 16600 for me....just not that fond of green

Personally, I'd have the 16600

But for you, I would choose the LV. Why? because you have a varied collection (quite difficult to keep up with it, tbh!) and with the 5513 and gilt GMT, I'd say the LV would work best. You've got the PAM for your chunky watch needs and the LV would compliment the rest better than a 16600.

Nice problem to have!

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    16610LV Tony. After I bought a 1665, the magic of my 16600 was gone forever.
    I'm still not sure if I will ever have another 1665 . For me the 16600 is "the" watch 8)

I never had you down as one who dithered about Tony ;-)

I think the LV just screams "look at me I am a Rolex on a Rolex owner's wrist". So for that reason I cannot consider it as an option.
    Gray

Master

The LV does stand out a lot more, if that is your cup of tea. I prefer the SD as it is understated and some prefer no cyclops. Just note that the 16600 is a thicker watch!
    :idea:

Knowing what else you have (although it takes a bit of keeping up with), I think the LV compliments the others better as it's a bit different.

Master

I voted for the SD, and that is what I think you should do. However, I'm confident that there will be a LV making it's way to Chez LTF within days :roll: :blackeye:

Actually, I've been wearing the SD all day today, and it really is a fantastic watch. I may just have made up my mind on this one!

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    I've always loved the 16610LV and regard it as far and away the best of the modern Submariners. It would also serve my purposes admirably, and in fact might just be a little more versatile being IMO slightly more suitable for those dressy occasions.
    Why do you think that? I'd have thought the green would be less suitable as a "dressy" watch.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    I've always loved the 16610LV and regard it as far and away the best of the modern Submariners. It would also serve my purposes admirably, and in fact might just be a little more versatile being IMO slightly more suitable for those dressy occasions.
    Why do you think that? I'd have thought the green would be less suitable as a "dressy" watch.
    Well, I've had both and just feel that the lower case and slightly more refined look of the bezel of the LV lends itself more to dressy use. It's really not much of a difference, I know.

Hi Tony,

Just get the 16600 and don't push up the price on the 16610LV in desperately trying to get :wink:

I'm inclined to vote for the 16600, but you know where my heart is :D

Cheers,

Henrik

Banned

Actually, I've been wearing the SD all day today, and it really is a fantastic watch. I may just have made up my mind on this one!
    A whole day :shock:

Not to put a negative on a post and end up in the Bear Pit using really long words, but I can guarantee you don't actually know simple facts such as the true timekeeping on any watch in your collection, due to the fact none are worn over a period of time.

Watches are your jewellery Tony. Nice jewellery mind you 8)

I would go for the 16600. I love mine and it does have a certain charisma. Mainly bought on by the comments on this forum. Mind you, I also have been thinking of a LV. I ended up getting the SubC LV. The watch has grown on me and I love the bracelet. I keep on the look our for an 16610lv and may end up with one but not as a replacement for the sea dweller.
    Best of luck with your choice. If you can why dont you get a LV and wear it for a while before selling the 16600.

I vote 16600
    I'm gonna get one at some stage before the prices get too high

Craftsman

I vote the SD. If the LV was the green faced one I'd struggle to vote

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

Not to put a negative on a post and end up in the Bear Pit using really long words, but I can guarantee you don't actually know simple facts such as the true timekeeping on any watch in your collection, due to the fact none are worn over a period of time.

Pot, kettle. I've had at least two of mine longer than you owned any of yours :lol:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

Pot, kettle. I've had at least two of mine longer than you owned any of yours :lol:
    I've had one since 1982.

And I've never said I 'loved' any of mine :roll:

:mrgreen:

I'm thinking of trying a leather Nato :shock:

Given your preferences for vintage I think the LV with the maxi markers would be a preference, I would also get a black insert as this will give you another option to play with

Banned
    Blog Entries

I really am sorry for posting this (bad thoughts and all), but does anyone else find this post totally vacuous and vaguely masturbatory (much like several of the other recent well trodden posts along the lines of "oh, this is a real keeper" and "wow, how good does this look")? Surely LTF can make his own mind up. And please, no more pics. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I really am sorry for posting this (bad thoughts and all), but does anyone else find this post totally vacuous and vaguely masturbatory (much like several of the other recent well trodden posts along the lines of "oh, this is a real keeper" and "wow, how good does this look")? Surely LTF can make his own mind up. And please, no more pics. :wink:
    No more so than the multitude of other members here who similarly seek the view of others, but thanks for your input.

The LV for me and I think it would compliment your collection well.

I know the SD is well loved and as a standalone watch it's a great all rounder, but in the context of what you've currently got or previously owned, it's nothing special.

And you like special (so it won't last long) :wink:

Out of those two it would be the SD for me. I'm not sure which I'd pick out of an SD or a Ceramic LV though..

I'm new to Rolex but just noticed that the hour markers are bigger on the LV - I like that!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

No more so than the multitude of other members here who similarly seek the view of others, but thanks for your input.
    You're welcome.

Craftsman

I voted for the Kermit.

I bought a 16600 and liked it a lot. Then a 16610LV caught my eye and I bought that too.
    I've now sold the 16600. Love the dial, hands and dash of green.
    The only 2 Rolexes I've owned.

Could you not fit a green bezel to the SD

.. and stick on a cyclops?

:drunken:

Not a fan of the cyclops or green bezel but vote goes to the LV on the proviso that you install a black bezel as I much prefer the maxi markers.

I don't own either, so am properly impartial. I'd go for the SD.

So why not just ignore and move along ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloobird
    Could you not fit a green bezel to the SD

.. and stick on a cyclops?

:drunken:
    Now that is a thought :P

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    Well, I've had both and just feel that the lower case and slightly more refined look of the bezel of the LV lends itself more to dressy use. It's really not much of a difference, I know.
    Ahh, I see the green as being more casual, but horses for courses. I would go for an LV and get a black insert, getting 2 looks for the price of one. Maybe go the whole hog and get a separate bezel, if that makes changing between the two easier.

I don't like green watches (unless they are patinated bronze :) )

Well, it's pretty much a split decision, which reflects how I feel myself. Thanks for offering some interesting views, anyway, and I'll mull things over a bit more and then make a decision :scratch:

Master

LV for me, definitely. Love the green bezel.