closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: E-petition for bikers

E-petition for bikers

Don't know if this has been covered but here it is.
    Its a petition about making new drivers aware of bikers as part of their test.
    Got to be a good thing.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26272

Re: E-petition for bikers

That's good, I'm sure there was another one to stop them riding on the oncoming lane and wait in line as othe road users do :P
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman

As far as I know the test CAN include questions about so called Bikers, as well as other users that don't have a petition.
    As there are hundreds of questions to choose from making each test different.

To make one part compulsory over other road users is wrong (IMHO).

To take a quote from the site.
    "As many as 7,004 bikers and their pillions lost their lives between 1999 and 2010 and the biker casualty rate is currently a staggering 61 times greater than that of motorists"

Perhaps with stats like that we should petition to get all bikes banned, as it would save lives.

Grand Master

Always good to support a petition such as this
    RIAC

Craftsman

Will sign it... bikers need more attention (saying this as a non-biker)

Regards,
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by rehashlyrics
    As far as I know the test CAN include questions about so called Bikers, as well as other users that don't have a petition.
    As there are hundreds of questions to choose from making each test different.

To make one part compulsory over other road users is wrong (IMHO).

To take a quote from the site.
    "As many as 7,004 bikers and their pillions lost their lives between 1999 and 2010 and the biker casualty rate is currently a staggering 61 times greater than that of motorists"

Perhaps with stats like that we should petition to get all bikes banned, as it would save lives.
    It looks like your assuming there were no cars involved in any of those figures.
    Bikes are obviously a higher risk because of the limited protection but surely the more people that are aware of motorcycles the better.
    I'm pretty sure if we banned all the cars there would be alot less accidents than the 7,004 quoted.

Master

We ALL have a blind spot and can only see clearly within a very small angle of vision (If you concentrate on this text, you will not see the logo at the top of the page clearly - try reading the time whilst concentrating on the text without moving your eyes!) That's why it is essential to move your eyes around when looking down the road to see if it is clear. (or you WILL miss the bike!)

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo +

Close your left eye. Look at the dot with your right eye, then move you head towards the screen, keeping your eye on the dot. What happens to the cross? It's in your blind spot at some point and your brain will fill the gap with what is around it. On the road it could be empty space around a motorcycle!

Mike

Most.. Not all, but definitely most bikers have a blatant disregard for the motorist. How can the motorist be aware of bikers when they appear in places they should never be!
    I was once driving a 15 seat transit full with passengers in the outside lane of the M1, when a biker with a pillion came between me and the central reservation! He came up on me so fast I didn't even see him, he then slowed to about 70 to stick a boot out at my van and a middle finger up as if I was in the wrong.
    So when I see these signs that say "think bike" I think, "sure, when they think car first"'!!!

I have signed the partition as well! :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbo
    Most.. Not all, but definitely most bikers have a blatant disregard for the motorist. How can the motorist be aware of bikers when they appear in places they should never be!
    I was once driving a 15 seat transit full with passengers in the outside lane of the M1, when a biker with a pillion came between me and the central reservation! He came up on me so fast I didn't even see him, he then slowed to about 70 to stick a boot out at my van and a middle finger up as if I was in the wrong.
    So when I see these signs that say "think bike" I think, "sure, when they think car first"'!!!

Even as a biker I don't really have a defense for what you have described above, people like that which give us a bad name. .. and a high death rate.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbo
    Was anyone in the middle lane at the time? I couldnt disagree more with your statement about most bikers having disregard, yes some are pricks, but its probally the same % of car drivers that are pricks!!

The bitch that ruined my brothers life by crashing into him when he was already on a roundabout on his bike, not speeding, 100% in the right with correct clothing, light on etc etc that ''just didnt see him!!'' has alot more blatant disregard than the bikers I know :angryfire:

I wont sign because, unfortunately, those bikers that give bikers a bad name are the ones I remember the most. The ones who can't possibly follow traffic and must overtake, regardless of conditions. Who come racing up behind you and sit off your rear quarter - they must know drivers can't see them or if they can, they are a distraction, yet they do it anyway. Or those who insist on weaving in and out of cars rather than patiently waiting for their chance to overtake. Or who feel the need to accelerate to daft speeds just because they can. Or those who sit inbetween cars in two different lanes on the motorway. Or sit so close to your back end they have no chance of not hitting you if you emergency brake.

I totally, 100% get biking. I've owned and ridden bikes before, I'm anything but anti-biker, but all I see is idiots on the road and unfortunately they are the ones who stick in my mind. When it becomes the norm for bikers to drive according to the highway code, the conditions and with some common sense and respect for car drivers, I'll back any and every campaign for their safety.