closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches in freezing conditions

Watches in freezing conditions

Is there a point at which you shouldn't wear your watch because the temperature is too low or does it not matter because body heat keeps it warm enough? I'm assuming diving watches get very cold
    "A man of little significance"

Re: Watches in freezing conditions

If there is some limit, these guys must have come close:

http://www.deepseaunderthepolenews.com/event.asp

Master

There must be a few Vostoks being tested at the moment...

I'm guessing the wearer would die before the watch
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Wow.... :shock:

For sure I will never get even close to this kind of temperature. Excellent picture !

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin
    If there is some limit, these guys must have come close:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

my work SD goes through major temp changes as sometimes its inside my hot water covies which usually sit around 45-47 degress but then if comes under the cuff it can go down to -2 degrees depends where i am working :D

said it before and i will say it again the rolex SD can take it.

Diving is a bit of a red herring - water doesn't really get very cold. It's the air that you need to worry about.

Wore mine out an about last year on the ice and snow in Lapland, including while photogrpahing the Northern Lights at night, with no adverse issues at all.

Water may not get really cold but it dissipates heat much, much faster than air. A body warm watch dunked in ice cold water doesn't do the seals much good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gould
    Water may not get really cold but it dissipates heat much, much faster than air. A body warm watch dunked in ice cold water doesn't do the seals much good.
    True. But it's bloody hard to dive in water colder than zero degrees...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    True. But it's bloody hard to dive in water colder than -2ºC-ish...
    (assuming sea water)

Quote Originally Posted by Gould
    True. But it's bloody hard to dive in water colder than zero degrees...
    Correct (salinity incl.) it was the rate of cooling I was referring to. Bloody cold, anyway :)

Quote Originally Posted by mark a.
    (assuming sea water)
    And I'll say it again. It's bloody hard to dive in water colder than zero degrees - regulators freeflow and / or just stop working, wearing myltiple layers under drysuits, gloves and hoods can make for difficulties in moving freely, and you'll probably want a Y (or H) valve on your first stage so that, in the event of a freeflow, you can switch off that reg and switch to a second... To be honest, the watch is the least of your probs: I'd want to make sure my computers / bottom timers work at -2.2 degrees!

Give me the warm waters of the Red Sea any day!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

(assuming sea water)
    And I'll say it again. It's bloody hard to dive in water colder than zero degrees - regulators freeflow and / or just stop working, wearing myltiple layers under drysuits, gloves and hoods can make for difficulties in moving freely, and you'll probably want a Y (or H) valve on your first stage so that, in the event of a freeflow, you can switch off that reg and switch to a second... To be honest, the watch is the least of your probs: I'd want to make sure my computers / bottom timers work at -2.2 degrees!

thats if your on scuba, we put the instillations in at sakhalin, in the sea of okotsk, it was -2 all the time, thats their summer, hot water suits, twice heated gas to hot water shrouded helmets, worked ok for us.

When you think about some of these horrible conditions that a rolex can keep ticking through, it makes you appreciate just how well engineered they are! Although saying that I would love to see how a seiko 5 stood in comparison.

I have to make the choice this week for a trip to Iceland with a visit to the thermal spa as well..

So it's either the sea dweller , explorer ii or the aerospace I will take with me....

Master

(assuming sea water)

Oh, I get you. I was looking at the physics of the water (it's hard to get sea water below -2ºC) as opposed to the technicality of diving equipment.

In any case, I would agree that a watch strapped to the outside of the wrist of an Arctic explorer has a harder time temperature-wise than a watch strapped to the outside of an Arctic diver.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Diving is a bit of a red herring - water doesn't really get very cold.
    Otherwise it wouldn´t be liquid :mrgreen:

I have frozen all sorts of watches to -22 and NONE were harmed by it.
    That is a lot colder than a watch worn on the wrist will get under ´normal´ conditions.
    Freeze them enough and even electrones themselves will stop....

The wiggly springs went off their performance most but then those perform least anyway so no surprises.

Predictable too is that when there is ever so little moisture in the air trapped inside th case, this will cause problems up to stopping the watch gears. Wiggly spring movemenst being a tíny bit more sensitive.

LCD becomes illegible and EPD says it is too cold, but LED seems oblivious.
    Unless the button freezes up, the LED watch will work in a black, frozen night in áwesome manner.

Craftsman

I was wearing my watch (Seiko Tuna) while skiiing in -22C this Christmas in Lapland and it was fine. Also took it into the sauna at 80 C once and it was fine there too!

I guess the battery will run down quicker if you constantly wear it outside your clothes (which is a bit pointless - it was dark most of the time so you don't really need to check your watch very frequently!), but I guess autos would have problems with time keeping too because of the change in the rate of spring expansion and possible thicker oils.

As with most things, I suspect that any decent watch would cope with a lot more than the human body!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by momentum
    but I guess autos would have problems with time keeping too because of the change in the rate of spring expansion and possible thicker oils.
    The oil in my Casio starts flocking at -5 but then the excersize was about WR and swimming water does not get -5.

EPD is also only ´good´ to -5:

To those in snowy country who have a LED watch; get it out under some snow tonight in the dark and push the button. The ´warm´ red glow through the snow is :D

Craftsman

Can't wait for Casio to produce a G-Shock with built in thermal emitter. :idea:

Banned
    Blog Entries

And one for Jesper:

The Synchronar, being sealed and potted, is not stopped even by freezing up buttons (slides). One can still operate ALL functions by using a magnet.

Some watches I would put in water and/or freeze. Others not.

I'm not sure exactly how cold it was, but on a climb in December, the water in my backpack froze, all my food froze, and if it's not over sharing, my urine froze on contact with the ground :shock:

The object of the climb was Mt Asama, an 8400ft high volcano. It didn't look so chilly from down here ...

It is very active, erupting in 2009, 2008 and 2004 in recent history. The 2009 one involved a 2Km high ash cloud, rocks landing 1Km from the crater and volcanic dust falling on Tokyo, 90 miles away. There are lots of warnings as you approach, suggesting not to climb. They go on to note that if you must climb, remember that in the event of an eruption to make your way down the volcano as quickly and orderly as possible, as, and I am not making this up, "lava is considered dangerous" 8)

We get closer ...

It doesn't look it, but it is much colder now as we ascend. Not only is the volcano reasonably high, it is also very exposed. There is a smell of sulphur. No one else is around. The gases continually arising from the crater are noxious, and you are not supposed to get too close. Time check ...

Near the top is this huge but narrow ridge to be traversed. The wind is immense, blowing ice up the slope of the volcano. Foolishly, a little earlier on after discovering all my water and food was frozen, I removed my outer gloves to help open a thermos of hot coffee. The coffee was good but, on this traverse, the brief exposure had frozen my hands and I could not grip my poles. I just put my hands through the pole loops and pretended.

I didn't tell my climbing companion until after we had descended, whereupon he mentioned that in fact he hadn't been able to feel his feet for a couple of hours.

At the top. The watch was worn outside the jacket the whole way, and was completely fine. It was pretty icy inside the jacket and several layers of merino wool, so although I don't know the exact outside temp, I think it must have been fairly nippy :D

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    I'm not sure exactly how cold it was, but on a climb in December, the water in my backpack froze, all my food froze, and if it's not over sharing, my urine froze on contact with the ground :shock:

Thanks for the photos Paul :!:

Craftsman

No real problem here to wear my watch while the cold wind of winter is blowing...
    Most of the time my watch is under the sleeves ...
    Except here for a picture :

Cheers,

laurent

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Some watches I would put in water and/or freeze. Others not.

A neat trick to not loose track of time at the bar when you´ve popped over for just one drink.

:drunken:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by birdynamnam
    No real problem here to wear my watch while the cold wind of winter is blowing...
    That´s a tricky factor in most of Europe now.
    It isn´t all thát cold here in the south, but the icey wind is still freezing half the mains in the valley/village as the houses are not built for the cold.

My Ball is rated down to -40.

Not sure about my watches though. :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie Melville
    Just received a message from a friend in Poland; -39.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    I think I'll keep mine here in Durham.

Craftsman

ZUBROWSKA....
    :mrgreen:

Craftsman

No problems here when I froze a Seiko :shock: for a RLT photo comp years ago.

Journeyman

Inspired by this thread I just tested what happens to a mechanical watch in really cold conditions, left my Sinn 103 A Sa outside for a while. It's -23 c, the watch lost three seconds in two hours. It usually runs at around -3 s / day. No other effects, it's running strong. :mrgreen:

No problems ice-fishing with this one...

Bremont ice fishing by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Probably shouldn't have used it as bait tho - couldn't catch a cold... :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    I have to make the choice this week for a trip to Iceland with a visit to the thermal spa as well..

So it's either the sea dweller , explorer ii or the aerospace I will take with me....
    Are you talking about the Blue Lagoon? If so, don't take anything but a cheapo watch. In fact better still, don;t wear a watch. The mineral content of the Brine is very rich and there are signs suggesting you don't wear jewellery.

There's a clock on the main building that you can see whilst you're swimming etc. Fantastic experience though :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei

The object of the climb was Mt Asama, an 8400ft high volcano. It didn't look so chilly from down here ...
    Fantastic. I will also say thanks for those photos. The highest mountain I've ever climbed is Ben Nevis (although I've probably been higher while skiing in the Alps) but the coldest I've had is windy Cairngorms. By the sounds of it, yours was rather chilly indeed. Brilliant.

Sod diving, I'd like to see more of this sort of thing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah81
    Inspired by this thread I just tested what happens to a mechanical watch in really cold conditions, left my Sinn 103 A Sa outside for a while. It's -23 c, the watch lost three seconds in two hours. It usually runs at around -3 s / day. No other effects, it's running strong. :mrgreen:
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    Krek what I found.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE
    Are you talking about the Blue Lagoon? If so, don't take anything but a cheapo watch. In fact better still, don;t wear a watch. The mineral content of the Brine is very rich and there are signs suggesting you don't wear jewellery.
    The Synchronar was advertised as tested in boiling brine so would be a good choice.

Great shot of the Bremont in action. My shot of the Big9 taken during the daily trip to work on the pedal bike does not quite compare :lol: :wink:

Great shot of the Bremont in action. My shot of the Big9 taken during the daily trip to work on the pedal bike does not quite compare :lol: :wink:

There wasn't really that much "action" to be honest...

BTW, do you have carbon fibre knuckles on those Oakleys? :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH

There's a clock on the main building that you can see whilst you're swimming etc. Fantastic experience though :)
    Cheers for that.. Hmm best leave it somewhere safe whilst I swim then :)

There wasn't really that much "action" to be honest...

BTW, do you have carbon fibre knuckles on those Oakleys? :shock:
    You bet :lol: :mrgreen:

Riding this (or rather my new bike like it, because the one in the pic got stolen) can be hazadous to your health....and hands (gloves were bought for another purpose, I just use them for cycling these days).

Especially as I ride every day year round and people in motors cause a few spills from time to time. With the snow, it is even worse. Cars brake too late and slide out in front of you etc.
    Strange actually. Not so many cyclists out in the cold, but it is as if some drivers ignore the remaining few.

Not too bad this year .....yet. But I do remember having the choice of trying to make it over the bonnet of some motor in a roundabout or putting the bike down on the slippery ice and sliding a bit. My Evel Knievel days being behind me, I did not opt for the over-the-bonnet stunt.

....actually the choice was made for me as I zig-zagged trying to deceide and simply slipped and went aXX over tea kettle :mrgreen:

Fantastic. I will also say thanks for those photos. The highest mountain I've ever climbed is Ben Nevis (although I've probably been higher while skiing in the Alps) but the coldest I've had is windy Cairngorms. By the sounds of it, yours was rather chilly indeed. Brilliant.

Sod diving, I'd like to see more of this sort of thing.
    Thank you, very kind. Some more of the same climb then ...

Frozen waterfall at the start, before the ascent. Usually a good indicator that things are going to get chilly 8)

About 2.5km from the crater we pass this mountain hut, the last building before the summit

It turns out to be deceptive. The log-cabin outside is hiding a steel structure inside, acting as a shelter

A little further on, at 2Km from the crater, the last warning sign

Although equipped with crampons, we don't use them. The snow is fresh and with no other people around to tread it down, provides reasonable grip as we ascend into the clouds

Approaching the vast windswept ridge at around 8000ft, we find these upturned iron cylinders. The isolation and otherwise barren terrain make this feel like a lunar shelter.

Inside the shelter, realising all my provisions and water are frozen solid, I foolishly take off my outer gloves to manipulate a thermos flask of coffee

On the ridge, near to the summit, pretending to grip my poles. The pain in my hands a little later as the circulation slowly returns is phenomenal. I am almost delirious. It is as though each bare hand is being pressed hard between two steam irons. There is nothing to be done. My screams are inaudible above the noise of the wind.

It occurs to me, and back to subject of watches, that most of these photos were taken by my climbing companion. My own camera, a small digital, showed weak battery at the base of the mountain, and no battery as we got higher. It had had a full charge overnight prior to the ascent. As we descended in the afternoon sun, the battery progressively "came back" to a full charge. I wonder if the effect of cold on rechargeable batteries such as those used in solar watches is similar ?

Paul

Grand Master

hmmmm...speedmaster, i gather it's a bit cold in space and on the moon,.,....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman

I've lived in Alaska all my life and have exposed my watches to many nights camping out to -40F with no problems. Seadwellers seem to do just fine in the snow:

A Gigandet triple-date chrono perfectly happy at -25F:

A Sub on a frosty -5F morning:

A Doxa SUB 300 on a glacier:

...and they all live happily ever after in the high arctic.

Craftsman

Speedmaster pro down to -40 deg C .
    Cold test chambers at MIRA
    Worked for the 30 mins I was in there for on multiple
    occasions.
    Same watch to 44deg C ambient in Arizona.

Nice !

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Logun1
    occasions.

Nice !
    Was the wátch that cold? or comfie under the sleeve on the skin?
    If the watch was cooled to -40, then how much time did it lose?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    hmmmm...speedmaster, i gather it's a bit cold in space and on the moon,.,....
    The Nasa temp specs were provided on here by Lysanderxii for which I would like to thank him agaín. Factual info is :bounce: (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Is there a point at which you shouldn't wear your watch because the temperature is too low or does it not matter because body heat keeps it warm enough? I'm assuming diving watches get very cold
    Yes, not only that. You can take your watch in a hot shower and then dunk the watch in cold wintertime water over and over again. Wintertime tap water is almost at freezing, 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Your body temperature is always 98 degrees Fahrenheit. If your shower is not hot enough to burn you. Then the water is about is 110 degrees Fahrenheit. It is not that much of a difference to affect a good watch.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Logun1
    occasions.

Nice !
    Was the wátch that cold? or comfie under the sleeve on the skin?
    If the watch was cooled to -40, then how much time did it lose?
    Watch was gaffer taped on the outside of an arctic survival suit, clasp open.
    No noticeable loss of time.
    I was cold testing an Aston Martin so was not totally focused on a few secs
    here and there.
    The Speedmaster was accurate enough for this work and did not drop..

Cheers
    Darren