closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Second hands not hitting their markers on quartz.

Journeyman
    Bang on should be the norm!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Bit late adding in to this thread, but this has always tickled me. I collect Seiko 7A38's - 15J quartz chronographs.

The watch featured in this 1986 Seiko TV advert is a 7A38-7120:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGiphyRTJ-A

Watch the sweep hand in the last 10 seconds. Just about sums it up, doesn't it ?
    You would have thought they'd have picked a better sample. I suppose the people shooting it weren't 'watch' people.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    My most accurate watch is an issued 1984 CWC G10, and the second hand hits the marker exactly, every single time.
    I would expect nothing better from a real mans watch. My 1983 G10 'For men' is also bang on.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Omega revised the movement in the Seamaster quartz more than once specifically to "enhance" the seconds-hand accuracy with respect to the markers. One of the modifications was to completely replace the seconds wheel and intermediate wheel, reducing play. This was done sometime in 2007.

Paul
    I had a 2010 model SMP quartz which was slightly off, it did my head in when I considered what I had paid for it.

flipped it for an auto a few years later.

I shipped a PRS-18Q yesterday and as always, I set the time before shipping. When I took it out of the box the seconds hand was missing the markers but after hacking and setting, it was bang on the markers although I'm certain that over time, it will drift out again (and then back in).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    Hi. Newbie here. I’m a little depressed to be on this thread but I noticed today that my previously perfectly-hitting-the-markers Tissot now misses some of them and varies in length of jumps. As a newbie I’ve been a bit obsessed by this (admiring my new watches as you do!) and noticed how almost every Fossil (a bad word on many watch forums I believe), for example, are well out.

Anyway, I think I’ve knocked my Tissot and I guess that’s it now for good!

One other thing I’d like to add. There was a brief mention about Gravity and the idea that this is a myth in terms of hands hitting their markers. Well, in fact I’m for the Gravity theory. My Jacques Lemans chrono hand hits all the markers (pretty much) perfectly between 30 and 60 but falls below them when coming down the 0-30 side. Turn the watch upside down and guess what? They hit all the markers up between 0-30 and fall below them when falling between 30 and 60.

Gravity, unfortunately, seems to be a reality.

Craftsman
    Damn you... never noticed mine did this until reading this thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Hi. Newbie here. I’m a little depressed to be on this thread but I noticed today that my previously perfectly-hitting-the-markers Tissot now misses some of them and varies in length of jumps. As a newbie I’ve been a bit obsessed by this (admiring my new watches as you do!) and noticed how almost every Fossil (a bad word on many watch forums I believe), for example, are well out.

Anyway, I think I’ve knocked my Tissot and I guess that’s it now for good!
    Although a knock might have caused it, I am pretty sure it just happens sometimes. For what it's worth, older (80s and earlier) Seiko quartz movements seems to be consistently the best in my experience. As for modern Seiko quartz, I am not impressed in general although some are good. Modern Swiss quartzes do not seem very good in my experience in this respect, although Ronda has generally been better than ETA in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    One other thing I’d like to add. There was a brief mention about Gravity and the idea that this is a myth in terms of hands hitting their markers. Well, in fact I’m for the Gravity theory. My Jacques Lemans chrono hand hits all the markers (pretty much) perfectly between 30 and 60 but falls below them when coming down the 0-30 side. Turn the watch upside down and guess what? They hit all the markers up between 0-30 and fall below them when falling between 30 and 60.

Gravity, unfortunately, seems to be a reality.
    Interesting. I can well believe that it is, as you say, a real effect for some watches. But I've done the very experiment you describe and have seen that the before/after effect is not always affected by gravity. Sometimes it is constant, no matter in what orientation the watch is held.

In other words, I think that the phenomenon of second hands not hitting the markers can be caused by any one (or more!) of a number of underlying causes. In some watches it is gravity-related, in others it is dial printing or the dial being slightly off-centre, in others it is an effect that is built into the movement during manufacturing, poor stepper motors might sometimes be to blame, slack in the gearing, backlash (due to a heavy second hand), and there are probably other inputs too. It varies.

For example, I have a number of 8F56 watches and in these gravity makes no difference in my experience. In all of them, the amount that the second hand is ahead or behind the second markers never varies on each watch. Some watches are spot on, some are always off all the time (sometimes ahead or behind). It seems to be a quirk of manufacturing in the 8F56.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 7th May 2015 at 03:37.

Craftsman
    I guess there is no way of fixing the issue, is there?