closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Re: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Quote Originally Posted by WillS
    Just got a trial pack through from totally wicked. How many drops should I use? 3 or 4 doesn't really seem like a lot, or is this really all that's needed?
    Which exact kit did you get?

Have you watched the videos on filling your kit on Totally Wicked's site?

Quote Originally Posted by quoll
    ..... but I am finding it great but not quite doing it for me. I put this down to a) I am a 30 year heavy smoker (say 30-a-day) and b) I switched to a pipe about 5 years ago. Pipe smokers like huge volumes of tasty smoke. I mean huge. The Halo can't quite do it....
    Some sites sell e-pipes, I'm pretty sure they do at totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk

If you need more vapour from your e-cigs, there are couple of ways of acheiving this:

1. Get a dual coil (or even triple coil) system, again totally wicked sell them.

2. Use Vegetable Glycerine only (or a high percentage) e-juice, apparently this creates more vapour.

Well, I'm now three weeks without tobacco and it's been no sweat whatsoever! :D

Keep the faith chaps!
    So clever my foot fell off.

OK, so you convinced me... I'll try to quit in one way or the other...

Forbidden where I live :-( . Can these be bought in UK other than on the net ? Shops in London ?

Journeyman

Got my e-cig a few days ago, it's amazing. Went from a pack per day to 2-3 cigarettes per day immediately. I had no intentions in quitting smoking altogether, now I see the cigarettes as a treat, not as a necessity. It's my first day off from work in about a week, treated myself with a couple of ciders and a pack of cigarettes of which I'm probably going to smoke a few during the evening if I feel like it. Have had one today.

I'll probably quit smoking altogether later on, but going down from a pack per day to a pack per two weeks is enough for now. I highly recommend to give this e-cig thing a try if you are a heavy smoker.

Well after reading the thread when it started and a few pm's to TFB I've been using the Halo for a week now, so my observations so far :

1) As a heavy cigar smoker I find the Halo is a little tasteless and as said above not enough "smoke" (and that's using the extra strong extra large carto-thingys)
    2) The construction necessitates that they are a lot heavier than a cigar - whilst not an issue most of the time I find the e-cig hard to hold like a traditional cigar / cigarette when driving when I'm more likely to nip it between my lips whilst chaining gear etc.
    3) It's almost tempting to smoke the thing too long as you don't have the normal indication when you're down to the butt end - so I reckon I'm actually increasing my nicotine intake (which itself has repecussions on heart rate).

So a bit of mixed bag from me, that said I'm going to keep going with it (at the moment I'm alternating between the e-cig and a real cigar) and check out the specific e-cigars that are on the market in the hope they delivery a bigger flavour hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    Well after reading the thread when it started and a few pm's to TFB I've been using the Halo for a week now, so my observations so far :

1) As a heavy cigar smoker I find the Halo is a little tasteless and as said above not enough "smoke" (and that's using the extra strong extra large carto-thingys)
    2) The construction necessitates that they are a lot heavier than a cigar - whilst not an issue most of the time I find the e-cig hard to hold like a traditional cigar / cigarette when driving when I'm more likely to nip it between my lips whilst chaining gear etc.
    3) It's almost tempting to smoke the thing too long as you don't have the normal indication when you're down to the butt end - so I reckon I'm actually increasing my nicotine intake (which itself has repecussions on heart rate).

So a bit of mixed bag from me, that said I'm going to keep going with it (at the moment I'm alternating between the e-cig and a real cigar) and check out the specific e-cigars that are on the market in the hope they delivery a bigger flavour hit.
    I'm not totally surprised you might need a bigger hit given you are used to a significant cigar habit. You might want to try one of these Lavasticks that others are raving about.

Also, just a thought, have you tried the strong 2.4mg nicotine cartomisers? I find that if I use these and limit the amount of air coming in through the airholes at the point the cartomiser joins the battery, I get a much stronger hit.

Stick with it - believe me it is worth it!

Best of luck matey.

(Ps - I am also thinking of trying an ecigar also as an extra treat - let me what you find and how you get on.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah81
    Got my e-cig a few days ago, it's amazing. Went from a pack per day to 2-3 cigarettes per day immediately. I had no intentions in quitting smoking altogether, now I see the cigarettes as a treat, not as a necessity. It's my first day off from work in about a week, treated myself with a couple of ciders and a pack of cigarettes of which I'm probably going to smoke a few during the evening if I feel like it. Have had one today.

I'll probably quit smoking altogether later on, but going down from a pack per day to a pack per two weeks is enough for now. I highly recommend to give this e-cig thing a try if you are a heavy smoker.
    That's fantastic news - amazing how effective a substitute these are isn't it?

Just remind yourself, as another poster put it earlier, these are my cigarettes now...
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat

I'm not totally surprised you might need a bigger hit given you are used to a significant cigar habit. You might want to try one of these Lavasticks that others are raving about.

Also, just a thought, have you tried the strong 2.4mg nicotine cartomisers? I find that if I use these and limit the amount of air coming in through the airholes at the point the cartomiser joins the battery, I get a much stronger hit.

Stick with it - believe me it is worth it!

Best of luck matey.

(Ps - I am also thinking of trying an ecigar also as an extra treat - let me what you find and how you get on.)
    Yep I'm on the 2.4mg with a finger over one hole (so to say!) - I don't think its the lack of nicotine (cuban cigars, especially Cohiba, have considerably less nicotine than cigarettes), but the lack of flavour is the problem. I'm researching e-cigars at the moment and there isn't a lot of choice to be honest - but I'll stick with the Halo in the meantime and the occassional real cigar when I need one.

The way I see it is even if I reduce my real cigar smoking it's better than nothing :)

DeusIrae - I wanted to add a note of thanks for your tip. :thumbright:

(I tried to PM but you have them turned off.)

If you wan to give up then try Alan Carr book.

I smoked around 30 a day for the last 20 years and have tried to give up at least once a year every year with no sucess.

I tried the e-cig and have to say it is brillant, but as soon as it ran out of charge, rather than wait I went straight for a fag.

I finished the book last week and have now not smoked for 7 days and not missing t at all.

Just my 2 pence

Rich

Master

I bought a pack but unfortunately i can't get on with them at all. They're pretty realistic but give me a banging headache that takes hours to get rid of, so back on the roll ups for me :(

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham
    If you wan to give up then try Alan Carr book.
    That's how I quit the last time, which I stuck with for 4 years. It's an excellent book which doesn't so much tell you anything you don't already know, as reinforce what you do already know. Nicotine replacement has never worked for me and that book is the only thing that has kept me off the smokes for any length of time.

Until now anyway. Not had a single ciggy for two weeks almost. However, this time around I'm not on the e-cigs because I want to give up nicotine at the moment, but to try an alternative method of taking it. I feel like I'm cheating if I describe myself as non-smoker at the moment while vaping away the day on these things. :)

One thing I'm keeping an eye on though is that since I started vaping an old injury to my neck and shoulder has re-surfaced and I'm having severe aches and pains that keep me awake most of the night. I broke/dislocated my collarbone and arm many years ago and a nerve got trapped during the healing process - subsequently had an operation which was botched and caused more damage to the nerves. This recurring pain is something that I used to have on and off but haven't had for several years now since a long run of physio. I'm probably reading too much into things, but I've read that the PG in ecigs can cause lactic acid build-up resulting in muscle pain and read forum posts by folk with similar problems. For most people these aches go away as the acid is processed by the body, but as mine is prone to weakness it may be causing more of a problem. At the moment I'm hoping it's just a coincidence that it started up a few days after I started vaping and that it'll go away again soon, but if it doesn't then I might have to lay off the vape for a while and see if it makes a difference. Will be very disappointed if I do have to give up the vape.

Blog Entries

Well I've done it. A week of the fags completely.

Still can't figure out how much vape to have in one go, so I'm vaping throughout the day, however it's obviously working as I've been fag free for a week!

Congrats thattallchap, that's very well done. Don't sweat it too much about how much to use in one go or over time. Just if you feel too lightheaded or start getting a headache lay off them for an hour or two. Vaping is much different than smoking and it takes a while to get used to the feel of what seems like almost constant indulgence at the start. There's no problem with it, if it's working then stick with it. You'll settle into your own usage style over time. The only thing I will say is if you feel like you are completely tied to it an cannot let it down for any amount of time then you may will need slightly higher level of nic in your juice. Well done though!

Great stuff Tallchap!

How about we do a little role call on who has switched, or is using e-cigs now? And how they are getting on? Hopefully it will provide some mutual encouragement! :)

Me (obviously) - I am having huge success - haven't touched tobacco in nearly a month.

Who else?

Craftsman

Great stuff Tallchap!

How about we do a little role call on who has switched, or is using e-cigs now? And how they are getting on? Hopefully it will provide some mutual encouragement! :)

Me (obviously) - I am having huge success - haven't touched tobacco in nearly a month.

Who else?
    Well from an ex 40 a day man who unfortunately didnt have the benefit of these little wonders 15 years or so ago i congratulate you. I havent read the whole thread, too many posts for a tired head, but are people using the money saved towards good effect ie watches?

Master

I had a real cigarette today; didn't enjoy it at all, put it out halfway through and had a vape instead :)

Master
    Did you get all fixed up?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    I had a real cigarette today; didn't enjoy it at all, put it out halfway through and had a vape instead :)

That's one of the weird things I too have found about making the switch to vaping. I now find the thought of actual smoking rather unpleasant - having to go outside, the ash, the smell etc...

I am by no means a pious ex-smoker! But I actually find vaping superior in every respect.

A month ago I would never have believed it possible.

:shock: :)

hi is there any side effects to these electronic cigrettes??

Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    Did you get all fixed up?
    Yes mate - thanks. A life saver.

Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Well my overseas nicotine order arrived today so I am now vamping away madly on my new kit. The difference is huge. It looks nothing like a cigarette, of course, but the volume, taste and satisfaction is right up there with my old pipe on a good day. (I haven't smoked it for several days now.)

I was down to one 'real' smoke a day before it arrived and that was half a cigar. Tomorrow will be the first zero day. I'm looking forward to it.

Great stuff Tallchap!

Who else?
    Sixteenth day without tobacco here.

Dropped the nicotine one level.

My vaping routine has settled down to having about 3 puffs whenever I feel like it.

All thanks to this (and TFB of course):

Quote Originally Posted by taz11
    hi is there any side effects to these electronic cigrettes??
    Time will tell :)

Craftsman

Presumably if there are they are more minor than those from smoking itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sag
    Presumably if there are they are more minor than those from smoking itself.

I think that's the key point. I have looked into this as much as possible on-line and the vapour itself is effectively harmless.

Nicotine is not known to be carcinogenic in any way (tobacco smoke has over 40 known carcinogens in it) - but there can be some small risks in heavy users - eg increased blood pressure and sugar.

However, I have seen quotes from Doctors and other medical professionals saying vaping is probably 99% better for you than smoking. Some have equated it to coffee. Even if it isn't totally harmless (what is?), I'll happily settle for that.

Craftsman

Great stuff Tallchap!

Who else?
    15 days tobacco-free for me.

And having tried (*counts the bottles on the shelf*) 13 different flavours since starting out, I've now finally settled on my favourite for everyday vaping - Vermillion River's Kentucky Premium Blend. Lovely stuff.

Craftsman

I've managed to convert my missus to using these. One tip is to buy the nicotine in bottles, pry the end off the ecigs and put 5 or 6 drops in. Cheaper than buying the ecigs all the time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Dad
    Great stuff Tallchap!

Who else?

My vaping routine has settled down to having about 3 puffs whenever I feel like it.

What's that mate? Looks like I have to try that as the halo is not really for me :(

Congratulations to those of you who have stopped smoking with the use of the E cigs. Some regional Governments in Germany have banned the sale of them, apparently they decided to place them under the drug laws, meaning they have to be sold in pharmacies. Is there any intention of doing this in the UK? I reckon the real reason is loss of nicotine tax beginning to bite?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    Congratulations to those of you who have stopped smoking with the use of the E cigs. Some regional Governments in Germany have banned the sale of them, apparently they decided to place them under the drug laws, meaning they have to be sold in pharmacies. Is there any intention of doing this in the UK? I reckon the real reason is loss of nicotine tax beginning to bite?

Hard to predict the future of the ecig in the UK. I did read an interesting article that suggested our government may be a bit more favourable than some other countries however:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ ... government

But if the EU put any pressure on them, or if they start to consider tax or licensing implications then who knows what might happen...

[quote=rocket-roy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steve's Dad":3uhjxbtb
    Great stuff Tallchap!

Who else?

What's that mate? Looks like I have to try that as the halo is not really for me :([/quote:3uhjxbtb]

Sent you a PM mate.

Yeah they want to 'regulate' and tax the s*it out of it. The issue comes down to nicotine in bottles...they'll 'get' it that way eventually...health and safety concerns on high dosage amounts :roll:

Roll on the £200 30ml bottles of ejuice....something like the £20 packets of chewing gum....bstards!

Who else? How you gettin' on?

I'm just vapin' in my office. At work... :D

Banned

I have just had delivery of the totallywicked tornado tank.

Sadly on the dual coil tanks I tried to order, some item were out of stock, so I settled for the tornado tank version.

This is great, loads of vapour, nice kick to it, just like a cigarette. I am using the super high fluid 36ml.

I think I can get used to this :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by psionite
    I've managed to convert my missus to using these. One tip is to buy the nicotine in bottles, pry the end off the ecigs and put 5 or 6 drops in. Cheaper than buying the ecigs all the time.
    And it's as simple as that? Just pop the end off, and put a few drops in?

Craftsman

Absolutely. Inside of any of those pre-filled carts is a spongy filler material which is soaked with the nicotine liquid. As you vape, the atomiser dries it out as it burns the liquid away and so re-soaking the filler gives you a re-fill. Simple as that. :-)

Master

Excellent. I'll order me some 'America Red' (which I assume is an unsubtle reference to Marlboro) right away.

For anyone else wanting to try this, it's the white end which comes off; stick something in the hole, and you can lever it off with hardly any effort at all.

Craftsman

One small point of caution - the Halos and other automatic devices (one's that automatically switch on as you inhale rather than you having to press a button to get them to activate) have a small hole in the battery end where it screws onto the cart. If you drop the liquid straight down the middle of the cart while it's connected, where there's a gap in the filler for the coil, then you do risk the liquid dropping right through that hole into the battery, which can kill it. It's very easily avoided, just don't fill the cart while it's attached to the battery, and when you do fill it then it helps to drip the liquid down the inner-edge of the cart so there's less risk of it leaking down the middle. And don't over-fill it - a few drops at a time and stop if the liquid starts settling on top and doesn't soak into the filler so quickly anymore.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmdf
    Absolutely. Inside of any of those pre-filled carts is a spongy filler material which is soaked with the nicotine liquid. As you vape, the atomiser dries it out as it burns the liquid away and so re-soaking the filler gives you a re-fill. Simple as that. :-)
    Sounds like a smaller gauge syringe and needle would be the perfect refilling tool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdf
    Sounds like a smaller gauge syringe and needle would be the perfect refilling tool.
    Hang on, I'm a bit slow - you can refill the Halo nicotine modules with different liquid to give you even more vape!

You just need a suitable enough mechanism - mentioned above - and suitable precautions - also mentioned above.

Super 8) :D

Master

no need for a syringe, or anything else, to get the liquid in. The bottles have a fairly small diameter top, so if you hold the cart at 45 degrees, you can carefully drip the liquid down the side. The stuff inside is quite dense, so after a few drips give it a moment to soak in before putting more in.

I can recommend the 'American Red'. Doesn't have the full flavour of a Marlboro, but it's a stronger, richer smoke than the standard stuff. Much nicer than the Benny Hedges I had this morning before the postie arrived.

Well, quite incredibly, I make that five weeks since I touched tobacco - and no problems whatsoever.

Well, quite incredibly, I make that five weeks since I touched tobacco - and no problems whatsoever.

Well I recieved my Halo kit yesterday and have been puffing since 7 pm last night - tried an ordinary cig now but butted it half way through, this isn't a long time without cigs but new record for me for 25 years.

The stuff in the standard package is rather sweet and I would prefer it to taste more like tobacco but have not figured out which juice or preloaded thingy might resemble a cig most - have to order some more I guess

Master

Don't get too hung up on juice flavours. Almost every new vaper tries to find a flavour that tastes like their favourite brand of cigarette or roll-up, but it's generally a fruitless exercise.

Apart from the fact that e-cigs don't really taste like tobacco, your taste buds and sense of smell will recover and change over the next few weeks. Food will start to taste good, and you'll be able to smell fag smoke on people's clothes. Juice that tastes nice now may taste nasty in a few weeks. By all means try some different flavours, but don't buy any jumbo-sized bottles just yet.

RY4 is probably the most popular flavour out there, and most manufacturers/vendors offer their version of it. It may not be everyone's favourite flavour, but few people actively dislike it.

Blog Entries

Im now three weeks (ish) and clean. However I'm having cravings for a real smoke quite a lot. :cry:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap

Im now three weeks (ish) and clean. However I'm having cravings for a real smoke quite a lot. :cry:

Don't fight it too hard - it'll keep nagging at you. If the urge to light up becomes too much to resist, just try one. Chances are you'll hate it, and you'll feel happier in the knowledge that vaping is a nicer experience. Even if you need to smoke a couple a day, it's not a major problem, is it?

chubbs

since i've moved to australia and the price of fags are now $18 a pack = £12 it kinda puts you off a bit!! ridiculous..