closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vietnam War Issue Benarus DTU-2AP

Craftsman

Vietnam War Issue Benarus DTU-2AP

Found one of these with made in Oct 1965 which just happens to be my Month and Year of birth. It was issued to a USMC soldier who wore it through the tours that he did in Vietnam and it then went into a drawer, where it re-surfaced a few months ago and got stuck on eBay USA

This was it then..

The seller was a bit funny about someone from the UK winning the auction as he hadn't figured for International postage. That wasn't a problem though as lysander had already agreed to give it the once over for me

He has stripped, cleaned, serviced the movement and cleaned up the crystal and this is the result..

I think you'll agree that he has done a great job, and I am really looking forward to the Postman knocking with this definate keeper

Master

Re: Vietnam War Issue Benarus DTU-2AP

A very nice piece of military history, me likey, likey. 8)

Good one !

congrats !

;)

That's smart. I have one of these dated nov 66"

66" .... That's iPads for you

Congratulations! Thats the great thing about these military watches. I managed to pick up a MIL-W-46374 from the US which was also produced in my birth year and month. It will never be sold.

Looks great. :thumbleft:

I have a Benrus, too: mine is from May 1965, the month I graduated from high school. It keeps super-accurate time, as well.

Vietnam War Issue Benarus DTU-2AP

Wow that looks great. Interesting dial and hands combo too... Makes it look even older than the 60s.

Welcome to the thread for 46-year olds.

Dave
    (11/65)

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001
    Welcome to the thread for 46-year olds.

Dave
    (11/65)
    Oops...I was in college then. :laughing6:

Banned

what a great watch,i want one. :)

A very nice piece of military history,beutiful watch this days I am looking on e-bay similar watches and they are sold for no big price.I must buy one for my colection.
    :colors:

Great watch and i think one for me as well. I guess ebay USA is going to be the best site for these?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by kibrisjason
    Great watch and i think one for me as well. I guess ebay USA is going to be the best site for these?

Yes, that's the best place. I know of at least 2 'Oct 1965' ones of these in the last couple of Months

Craftsman

The only thing I found about this watch is that it wears very small so it won't venture out of my watch box very often.

Is there a consensus on what i should pay for one of these watches, they seem to vary in price quite a lot?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono
    Thanks to w2w, I too have been lucky enough to acquire a birth month one of these (Oct 65). Lysander has also done a great job in servicing and restoring it to its full former glory. However, I just bought the head so I need a strap. Needless to say I will get a Nato or somesuch strap for it but, can I ask where I can get hold of one of those? The watch looks great on that!

Blog Entries

Nice watch with history.

Blog Entries
    I'm currently trying to find one of these! Live them, who is the guy who restored yours and do you know if you can get crowns for them?,

I like that loads. Think I will start looking for one from 1963. Is there anything in particular to be wary of. Fakes, etc ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Looks great. :thumbleft:

I have a Benrus, too: mine is from May 1965, the month I graduated from high school. It keeps super-accurate time, as well.

These Benrus DTU-2AP were neat watches, as were the later Benrus GG-W-113s and the very iconic Benrus Type 1 series of recon divers. Interestingly to me, all of these issue Benrus from that time were, in effect, one-piece case frontloaders, though I've read that the cases for the Type 1s, while seemingly cut of a single solid piece of steel, were actually manufactured in two pieces and then permanently pressed together to form their "one-piece" cabinet style case. These were also all genuine to the Vietnam War period for those looking for that, whereas many later U.S. military issue field/pilots watches, like the circa 1983 to 1988 contract 2-piece screwback case Hamilton "navigator" grade pilots watches, have been at times misnomered as being "Vietnam Era" issue despite long post-dating that conflict.

On your pictures, Tom, and with the caveat that I am somebody who knows near nothing of the art of photography, you still must have top grade photographic equipment and a lot of skill in using it as these seem strikingly high in resolution and aesthetic quality compared to most of even the professional level watch close-ups I recall ever seeing. Such resolution also highlights what great shape your own Benrus DTU-2AP is in.

Also, by the way, after seeing your DTU-2AP on the nice mesh bracelet shown in your pictures, I did a search on these and learned that this particular rendition of the circa 1964 MIL-W-3818B specification as made on contract by Benrus originally utilized drilled lugs and heavy-duty shoulderless springbars (for the first time?), which is apparently quite unlike most U.S. military watches issued contemporary with it in the 1960s and before that having the standard fixed lugbar setup.

http://www.horologycrazy.com/2009/10...2ap-watch.html

Thanks for the great pictures and subject from yourself and W2W
    Last edited by Rollon; 9th July 2013 at 17:50. Reason: Corrected technical mistake and added supplemental link to additional information at another website

The dial on these looks gorgeous :)