closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice re CWC quartz diver - now with pics

Master

Advice re CWC quartz diver - now with pics

Thinking about getting one of these,would be glad to hear of others experience and whether there is a paticular model/year/spec thats best.

Re: Advice re CWC quartz diver

If you can be patient, look out for an issued one.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Are they different in any way or is it just who's used it?

No different - Just a bit cooler

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Thanks for advice but patience not usually my strong suit.

also 78 but from 1997 !

:)

Master

Apart from here ,the bay and watchforum anywhere else be useful to look ?Both those are very nice and definately what i'm looking for.

Blog Entries

You could try silvermans ,which is the usual route for non issued ones (be prepared to wait until the return of christ) , or try Neil at chronomaster.

- I emailed silvermans and have not heard nothing back about any new cwc divers so I will wait instead for Eddies SMITHS diver whichich from what I gather is basically a prs-3 under the smiths name. Remember the prs 3 original was an updated version of the cwc diver with a much higher spec and lower price. But if its a cwc your after ...keep looking

Master

Quick check on e bay shows 2 CWC sbs quartz divers, do they look ok ? .Any idea what's reasonable for these.
    I see Neil has a quartz cwc diver on Chronomaster but no pics ,not sure why.

Blog Entries

SBS nowadays fetch about 300 new (from silvermans) so the ebay sellers prob want that (and more). If you hit an email off to chronomaster he should tell you what's in,not or on its way. - I personally if I was going to go all the way on ebay for a new- I'd buy from silvermans direct.it depended on the item really if from ebay.

Blog Entries

In fact sorry to burst your bubble but Silvermans shows there not even in stock. They really have fell behind on stock. No sbs, no quartz diver, I mean they may as well close the shop!

Anyway good luck finding one!

I waited on Silverman's for 9 months to get quartz divers back on stock before I finally caved in and bought an SBS version in Nov 2010. It still took them 6 weeks to ship it. They said they were behind because it snowed. :roll:

I'm kinda glad it worked out that way since the black watch is distinct from my other watches. I would still prefer it had no day or date on it.

hereīs mine!

Have to say iīve had this one before but it came with the nato stock nr. only.

This one,an issued civilian version is much better(feel) & incredible lume(whole night). :shock:

And they really seem to be out of stock now.Will they be back?

Master

I was lucky to see this on TZ in December 2011. Last purchase for me of 2011 and first incoming for 2012. This is the auto date model with the ETA 2824-2 movement and im very impressed with it as my daily wearer. The lume is painted tritium, not as initially bright as luminova but lasts longer into the night. There is a touch of nostalgia about the purchase as I actually used these as a ships diver in the RN during the 80's but they were quartz, not the auto. I now have it on a bond Zulu which I prefer.

I wonder who actually puts these watches together in Switzerland, maybe it's an official secret? I like to think it's rolex as this movement is in the rolex tudor sub.Or maybe it's Silvermans themselves? Regards. Kev

On Bond Zulu

I have the RN Auto no date and the RN Auto dated models, both new unissued from Silvermans. Had them getting on a year now. I can't fault them, they're great. In fact the no date model has chronometer performance gaining about 2 secs/24 hrs and the dated model gains about 8 secs/24hrs. No complaints there. I had a RN auto from Silvermans [no date] about 8 years ago and ended up giving it to my son who still has it. It still runs faultlessly [unserviced] and out performs his Omega SMP consistently for timekeeping. It accompanied him on a round the World tour including diving off The Great Barrier Reef and never missed a beat. I missed it so much i just had to get my current two! They do what they say "on the tin" these watches in my experience anyway. Hope the quartz models come in soon but the autos are great anyway.

Master

Well ,bought Cwc quartz sbs version but needs new battery which seems more comlicated than i thought.Anybody experience of who good for this?Will send pics when watch arrives.

The battery is very easy to change; any xwatchmaker will be able to do this for a few ĢĢĢ / $$$ / €€€,

even me I can do it by myself !

:)

I prefer the Marathon personally but having owned CWC divers I can't say I have had any negative experiences so I would recommend them from any year. Just make sure if it is secondhand it is pressure tested to check the seals.

Master

Yep,its off to Roy at RLT for new battery and pressure test.Will post pics,hopefully in few weeks.

This was the watch that originally got me interested in military watches. Classic.

Master

Well, as you have a civvy sbs, you need to get an issued quartz, then a civvy auto, then issued sbs, then an issued auto. You will need to be extremely dedicated/lucky to get the 80/1 auto though.

I agree that Neil at Chronomaster is a good choice (will he ever update that site!) I bought an IWC from him some years back and a friend got a RAF Seiko last year and both transactions were hassle free and the watches were as described. As far a the CWC diver as long as its pressure checked I see no issues really they are like a tank and last forever it they are well maintained.
    Quote Originally Posted by bond
    You could try silvermans ,which is the usual route for non issued ones (be prepared to wait until the return of christ) , or try Neil at chronomaster.

- I emailed silvermans and have not heard nothing back about any new cwc divers so I will wait instead for Eddies SMITHS diver whichich from what I gather is basically a prs-3 under the smiths name. Remember the prs 3 original was an updated version of the cwc diver with a much higher spec and lower price. But if its a cwc your after ...keep looking

Master

Silvermans now have quartz sbs back in stock and available to order on their website now.

Master

As promised here are pics of my newly acquired
    SBS diver, back from its service with Roy at RLT. First and
    third pics are on a brown leather nato, second on a black nato.
    I'm very happy with it.

I liked the SBS one so much I bought another!
    This time an issued quartz diver from a fellow TZ'er who
    had kindly sent me a PM. Here are pics showing it before
    going off to Roy at RLT for service, as you can see it is bit
    dusty.

Advice re CWC quartz diver

An issued cwc diver will be my next watch.

Master

Rather wary after my recent bad experience(see my post in wt) but one on e bay at minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f
    Rather wary after my recent bad experience(see my post in wt) but one on e bay at minute.
    Sorry what post, I cant search I am in the nursery...

The watch on eBay looks shady.

Master

Re: Advice re CWC quartz diver - now with pics

Given my recent experience I'm afraid I'm no great judge here is what I meant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250996881837? ... _500wt_922

Oh thatīs sad but if you paid with PayPal you will get your money back.

Advice re CWC quartz diver - now with pics

Might get one of these for work

Apprentice

I have a quartz CWC diver in my rather modest [divers] collection, which I bought about six years ago, still working on the original battery. This was my daily beater for the last month whilst my sub was in 'drydock' for it's first service, it looks good with the NATO/G10 YAB (Yet Another Bond) Strap. 8)

Master

I liked your SBS one so much I bought it! :wink:

Wearing it right now on the brown leather nato.....black braided nato on it's way.

Master

Glad you like it ,should go well with the braided Nato.

I agree an issued one would be much better and has a military cache / mythos to it, which would be a strong selling point if you come to sell it.

I love mine: