closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ski Gloves

Ski Gloves

Following my thread about ski resorts http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...15804#p2115804, I'm now in the market for some ski gloves.

I was in Snow and Rock and there was a massive selection ranging from £15 to over £100, and brands I'd never heard of. Can anyone recommned me a pair? budget about £40-50ish.

Cheers

Pete

Re: Ski Gloves

Had a pair of Hestra's for years now and they're superb...I've got the mitts rather than gloves as i prefer them but the quality is still top notch!

There were some Hestra's in their sale, reduced to £53.

Master

I'm a firm believer in getting decent gloves but there's no need to spend £100. I mainly look for ones that have decent level of water proofing and the ability to wear them with inners. It's surprising how hot your hands can get even on a cold day so it's nice to be able to layer but once your gloves are wet, you're stuffed.

I've always found mitts too hot and a bit annoying when doing bindings up etc. (I board though and they are probably less of an issue if you ski?).

Master

Try a pair of reusch - superb and mine are still going strong 18 years in and for the last 4 doubling up on my scooter/motorbike duties.

One of those 'best buys' :wink:

Master

I got some from Dare2 in a sale, they were either £8 or £12 and are superb, can highly recommend them.

Ski or snowboard? (I'll assume ski since thats what the title says ) But, go for gore tex or certainly breathable.

If you're looking for board gloves or need wrist protectors, go for the inbuilt ones, they're marginally more comfortable than separate wrist protectors.

Journeyman

Ski Gloves

Get some Marmot Randonee gloves. Spectacular.

Hestra, the only ones imho
    tried 4 or 5 pairs over 26 yrs skiing
    never was the phrase "buy cheap,buy twice" more fitting
    and if you can get them at £53, so much the better- don't wait until you're in the 3v as in my experience it will be a lot dearer and you'll find the choice more restricted to mainly french branded stuff like salomon and rossignol- French seem very patriotic that way

Do you have a local TK maxx?

Good selection ( in ours anyway ) , lots of brands and price ranges.

If I didn't already have several pairs, I would have bought some just in case...

Craftsman

TK maxx seconded or Decathlon. I bought an expensive gore tex pair 2 years ago in Avoriaz and they turned out to be a waste of money. The more expensive they are the more likely you are to lose them. Reasonable waterproofing and breathable and a good fit (I think that was where I went wrong).

Keith,

Somebody else has mentioned to me about TKmaxx. There is one close by but I've never been in there.

Hestra seem to get good reviews so I may go down that route.

Cheers all

Pete

I've had both Hestra and Reusch and they were both excellent. However the best thing I've found for really cold weather is a pair of merino wool liner gloves. For £20 you will be as toasty as you can get.

Master

Decathalon sell half decent gear, its not a fortune either

Journeyman

Hestra job czone!

Craftsman

I went through several pairs of cheap gloves and learned my leason there. Most will fall apart first season. I bought a pair of Salamon gloves and had those for about five years now and they are as good as new.

Journeyman

Another recommendation for Hestra, ive got the leather gloves and undergloves from them, they did cost £90 but worth every bit :lol:

Using them again in next week :bounce: :bounce:

can recommend columbia gloves - toasty

Can recommend Dynasport - 5 years on & they are still great

I have a pair of Level gloves and think they're great. They're made of some clever material that stays warm through the day if you keep them in the airing cupboard overnight. Very tough too.

I bought some from Gore-Tex ones from Snow & Rock, think the're "Phoenix" or something like that. Seemed expensive at the time (£50-odd, 6 or 7 years ago) but they're still going strong. Unlike the cheapo Milletts ones my Missus insisted on getting herself, which have now been replaced at least once since. Well worth spending a few quid on a good pair.

Master

Black Diamond, but they are pricey. Hestra a good budget option... Cheaper don't really count at all.. ;)

Marmot

Bought mine in the states 6 seasons ago. Warm, waterproof and breathable so your hands don't sweat. Work down to -20 or more. Probably more than your budget but worth it

Ab

Master

Dakine do some great gloves. They, like a lot of other manufacturers, also do their own variant of Goretex which helps keep you hands dry.

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    I went through several pairs of cheap gloves and learned my leason there. Most will fall apart first season. I bought a pair of Salamon gloves and had those for about five years now and they are as good as new.
    I have a pair of Salamon leather gloves from the 80s and I still use them. They have had to have some repairs over the years and because they are leather if they get wet they are no good for the next day as you want to letthem dry slowly. For that reason I have always taken 2 pairs of gloves with me.

I was in TK Maxx the other week and bought a good pair (can't remember the make) for about £17. I will see what they are like next week. :D The shop is a bit hit and miss as it depends what they get hold off.

I find that I do not like long gloves as they are a hassle to get on and off and make it difficult to quickly lok at your watch to see the time. It is always better to have gloves that are too warm as you can always take them off for a bit to cool down. If your hands get cold then it is hard to get them warm again without standing in the toilet warming your hands with the hot air dryer wasting skiing time. :lol: