timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superdry... is it cool?

Master

Re: Superdry... is it cool?

Quote Originally Posted by stooo
    Quote Originally Posted by davek
    Probably a wrong question for the demographic on here!

As for me, when I found out they were designed and HQ'd in a shed in Slough, I went back to Farah. :D
    Ok, corrected you there, but the flannel grey 'slacks' brand seems to be coming back in. God help me now.

Tinkering with a man's posts - ohh, you are awful! :)

Banned

They are one of the few brands (along with Hollister) that make shirts and jumpers to fit my 6'8" frame so I don't have much choice. That said, it's a smart brand where you pay less to advertise more. The quality is good, and as long as you buy at the top end is more durable in terms of style. Their jackets tend to be daft with the multiple layers sewn in though.

So, cool as long as you're skinny and not advertising the brand.

I own 3 pieces of Superdry clothing the quality of the shirts are good but my best piece is a lumberjack style shirt that has a small logo on the shirt pocket.

It is one of the most hard wearing shirts I own, I usually wear it over the top of other stuff as a light jacket when outside in the garden etc

Take off the stupid tracksuit hood and buy it from the official ebay store at £26

http://www.superdry.com/mens/shirts/det ... jack-hoody

That said the jean I did own are very poor quality and it is chav wear as Barbour is getting as well in Edinburgh

Master

You can't beat Gap for jeans / chinos when it comes to quality for the price, IMO. Although they have just gone down in my estimations slightly by deleting odd waist sizes.

Master

Depends who's wearing it. Cool could wear a bin liner and look good.

never was never will be :lol:

guess 'cool' is pretty subjective but the brands i love (watches, clothes whatever) need some decent heritage, needs to have a clear and meaningful identity, something worth buying into that i want to be associated with. superdry never had any of that to begin with, and i have to agree with what these guys say

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    Quote Originally Posted by davek
    As for me, when I found out they were designed and HQ'd in a shed in Slough, I went back to Nicole Farhi. :D
    Radio 4 did a piece on the founder and apparently he started off running a market stall in Reading (Google seems to suggest Cheltenham but that's just a detail as neither location bears much resemblance to Paris, Milan or Tokyo from where I'm sitting). I have a grudging admiration for somebody who can craft a fake brand and build a fortune from such slender beginnings but.....

Cutting edge Japanese design my @rse.

Middle aged men wearing Superdry, or any of the other "youth orientated" labels are an embarrassment IMHO

Expecially the heavily logo'd stuff.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Middle aged men wearing Superdry, or any of the other "youth orientated" labels are an embarrassment IMHO

Expecially the heaving logo'd stuff.
    +1
    Should be all about Oliver Spencer, Folk, APC etc. for the middle aged chap about town - well made no logos.

Nearest I get to a logo is Belstaff and Barbour but they're only small :roll:

Master

Anything with a big logo is uncool, if I already paid for the product I don't want to have to advertise it, too.
    Of course, it's not about advertising the product, but about advertising that you can afford to buy the product....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Jack wills make great stuff.. Good quality and there's enough of it that isn't covered in logos to fly quite happily under the radar.

Craftsman

Got a few of their bits, t shirts mostly.

They seem to be the UK's equivilent of Abercrombie and Fitch.

Craftsman

my 17yo son likes

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    Jack wills make great stuff.. Good quality and there's enough of it that isn't covered in logos to fly quite happily under the radar.
    Ooh, I was thinking about Jack Wills when I saw this thread yesterday.

Got to disagree..went into one of their shops and thought all of it was seriously naff. The one guy I met who liked this stuff (and ALL his clothing seemed to be from there :roll: ) was a bit of a wombat..a likeable upper middle-class posh one..but still a wombat.

Had a couple of tshirts as presents and the quality was good but nothing so ubiquitous and conspicuous can be considered cool

I think all brands have the no logo stuff, you just need to pick and choose what you want to wear.

Zara is a good brand that springs to mind that has nice gear and no logos

Banned

Ah but I'm not middle-aged until the summer! ;)

Craftsman

From the numbers of south London yoof favouring SD as their garb of choice
    And then modelling it by lounging around Bluewater shopping centre I would have to say def
    Uncool

Was cool...now it's been discovered by the masses not cool.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    Ooh, I was thinking about Jack Wills when I saw this thread yesterday.

Got to disagree..went into one of their shops and thought all of it was seriously naff. The one guy I met who liked this stuff (and ALL his clothing seemed to be from there :roll: ) was a bit of a wombat..a likeable upper middle-class posh one..but still a wombat.
    Fight! :blackeye:

Actually, I do see most of their stuff on drunken university students so I may have to rethink.
    I do like their joggers though, soft as anything.

Banned

Nearly as shyte as G star

Master

I've never really paid much attention to the brand, but it all looks quite cheap and scruffy.

Master

I like them, but I'm not middle aged yet. ;)

High Street and hair gel. North Face seems to be going in the same direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY
    My 14 year old son likes the stuff..

It was Bench & Henleys for a while..
    Which very succinctly answers the question.

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev
    Was cool...now it's been discovered by the masses not cool.
    Ditto - I think the actual clothes are cool, but walking around Bournemouth in them is not cool as they have a big outlet in House of Fraser so very popular in the town as they get more stores will only get worse.

Kids seem to like them as can get the adult designs is small sizes, do like some of their stuff but their ubiquity puts me off now.

I have some stuff from when Superdry was small and sold in small boutique like shop's, the new stuff i have bought recently is half the quality imo...........

What's the correct name for a SuperDry T-Shirt just after you've washed it ..?!?!?!?

Superdry Oil - HTF does that even work?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

No

About 5 years ago maybe.
    But not now.

Couldn't agree more, old chap.

Tweed never goes out of style.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Hmmm...guess i'd better think carefully about how i dress next time we meet up then Andy :wink:

I'm stunned at the number of contributions on this thread.

I have to confess, I've always liked their slant on old oil and petrol logos... but that was 4 or 5 years ago and its all starting to look a bit 'jack wills' now, which is a bit poncey!

My teenaged son thinks so - but I would not wear it even if they made a size big enough to fit

one of those brands along with stone island etc that are very very naff, appealing to those who think they like fashion rather than style, fine for up to the age of 25 but i wince when i see ‘middle aged’ blokes wearing the stuff.
    it’s based on branding rather than any particular quality, it s fake japanese with none of the aesthetics of Japanese brands like Watanabe/white mountaineering/Beams plus etc or none of the quality associated with its denim brands or tailoring.

it's just high street made up clothing for people seduced by mediocre branding.

and there’s loads of other clothing brands out there at all price points that dont put their logo on everything. been quite impressed with Arket (upmarket H&M)
    Last edited by MrSmith; 28th June 2019 at 12:41.

Master
    Their shirts , polos , classic tees , chinos and trousers can all be really good quality and value for money with nice detailing , probably better than the likes of Boss and Ted Baker etc.

As long as you stay away from their heavily branded stuff they do have some good classic items .

I'm wearing an Idris Elba range striped shirt today with a small collar and its nice I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by nitram View Post
    my 17yo son likes
    My 65yo dad likes it.

I think all 'big logo' clothing is a bit tacky really.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    one of those brands along with stone island etc that are very very naff, appealing to those who think they like fashion rather than style, fine for up to the age of 25 but i wince when i see ‘middle aged’ blokes wearing the stuff.
    it’s based on branding rather than any particular quality, it s fake japanese with none of the aesthetics of Japanese brands like Watanabe/white mountaineering/Beams plus etc or none of the quality associated with its denim brands or tailoring.

and there’s loads of other clothing brands out there at all price points that dont put their logo on everything. been quite impressed with Arket (upmarket H&M)
    Could not agree more.

Great to see this thread come back to life after 7 1/2 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Fashion for teenagers....like "bench".

Back in the early ninetees, the equivalent was "NASA: nice and safe attitude". Ridiculous.
    Along with spliffy, eclipse and other rave orientated garb

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

I partially agree but Stone Island is no comparison with Superdry (as far as the nonsense of brand values in fashion). That’s like saying Vauxhall and Porsche are on an equal footing. I have a very style obsessed son, and my wife spent many years as a fashion buyer. Superdry hasn’t been ‘cool’ for about 5 years. Stone Island however has had a cult following for decades. Apples and Oranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a pair of Superdry specs (Black and orange) from Specsavers. Liked them so much that I bought two more pairs so I could park a pair in each home. Was brought back down to earth by a non-worldly wise employee who said “they are colourful”. When I told him the brand he said words to the effect “oh yes- I need to stop off at Superdrug to pick up some more thrush pills for the missus”.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I partially agree but Stone Island is no comparison with Superdry (as far as the nonsense of brand values in fashion). That’s like saying Vauxhall and Porsche are on an equal footing. I have a very style obsessed son, and my wife spent many years as a fashion buyer. Superdry hasn’t been ‘cool’ for about 5 years. Stone Island however has had a cult following for decades. Apples and Oranges

Yes but it has the silly label with the 2 buttons on the sleeve and football hooligan association
    Granted the style and construction is way ahead of superdry but that label just doesn’t need to be there.

Journeyman
    Stone Island has a similar brand journey to AP. Amazing quality, rose to prominence with a legend at the helm (GG=Massimo Osti), recently taken over by toe rags and rappers to the extent that the brand’s traditional customer are going elsewhere.

Thing is, a million football casuals and coke dealers could wear it, it’s not going to persuade me to give up my Raso Gammato from the early 2000s. A design classic is a design classic forever.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Could not agree more.
    Ditto. I find the stuff really poor quality too tbh.