closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Ward C90

Master

Christopher Ward C90

I know this brand is fairly unpopular on here :lol: , but I just thought I'd show a couple of pics of my latest acquisition. I picked this up in their nearly-new sale.

This is the C90, which was introduced in late 2010. This white version was released during 2011. It has the ETA Valgranges A07.161 movement. Case is 43mm.

Re: Christopher Ward C90

Very nice, although I think the power reserve hand in red is not the best option on this watch.

it looks alright to me mate!!!!

I agree that's very nice :lol:

what i like is actually the power reserve, but somehow the watch just doesnt work for me.

FMF

Christopher Ward C90

I likes that. There are a couple of details I'd perhaps change but that's true of most watches. Love the stepped face in particular.

I try hard to like CW watches, as the idea of independant watchmakers is appealing, but it seems to me, that something is almost always off-kilter on the design front with CW.

In this case, I do not care for the font, inner numbers track, PR and shape of hands set.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    I try hard to like CW watches, as the idea of independant watchmakers is appealing, but it seems to me, that something is almost always off-kilter on the design front with CW.
    I know what you mean about off-kilter but I think they are just different. Some of them are gradually growing on me.

For me the C11 models are appealing, especially the chrono versions.

And some of the women's watches appeal to me, such as the R20 and S20.

In fact the R20 is no smaller than some vintage watches I wear.

I quite like CW on the whole - I've not bought one yet, but I'd like to at some point. I do like that C90, nice design

I like it but the PR reminds me of a fuel gauge. I will try a CW soon.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I have a few of them I bought early on, really nice pieces to wear and great customer service. I actually designed a watch with them for my supercar club which turned out v well but we didnt produce in the end.

The DBR1 is a lovely watch to wear.

Blog Entries

Depending on what you paid for it, it's great they even use a Valgranges movement!

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Christopher Ward C90

Quote Originally Posted by craigvmax
    I have a few of them I bought early on, really nice pieces to wear and great customer service. I actually designed a watch with them for my supercar club which turned out v well but we didnt produce in the end.
    Presumably that was the quartz VMax? Damn shame too, not that I'd have been able to get one but it was a great looking piece.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by nr73
    Presumably that was the quartz VMax? Damn shame too, not that I'd have been able to get one but it was a great looking piece.
    This one i assume?

Nice acquisition. I like to power reserve indicator with the red hand, but the round date doesn't really fit IMO.

Master

I really like it, a good choice, hope you enjoy it. But it's strong my imho, even at 30% off, and at £799 sans discount it's too much for me. If the black dial was on offer, I might be tempted but I'd still need to have a bit of a think. I've had 2 CW watches - the Mk1 Pilot, which I thought was fantastic, and the PVD C60 Kingfisher which was a big pile of smelly poo plops. The C90 really appelas to me but I'd need to see it in the metal, or see it at a substantial discount to get the wallet twitching, mainly because there are always other things on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl
    I like it but the PR reminds me of a fuel gauge
    I believe that's intentional as the watch is called Becketts, after the corner at Silverstone and has been designed with a motorsport theme.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

The link is still up to the vmax watch if you fancy a squizz. (its not for sale so this isnt advertising)

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/vmax200.html

Christopher Ward C90

Quote Originally Posted by village
    This one i assume?
    That's the fella.

I like the DBR1 but it doesn't seem to be the most legible of faces. The VMax is better in that respect and is one of the few sporty chronographs that really appeal to me.

Shame it wasn't made. We're you at least able to get a pre-production one for yourself Craig?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

no, the problem was that they needed 50 orders in advance to make it and people weren't willing to commit without seeing one first (which I totally understood)

Shame as i think it would have turned out well

NIce pictures of a nice watch. I quite like Christopher Ward.

no, the problem was that they needed 50 orders in advance to make it and people weren't willing to commit without seeing one first (which I totally understood)

Although I know absolutely zilch about production (and other) costs in watch production, I'm a little surprised that 50 is the minimum commitment required.

Anyway, back to the OP's original watch - v nice IMO.

Would there be a "recycled" case, hands set or dial from other CW watches used in your project or would that be all brand new parts never used before in other watches?

I am merely curious and not implying anything, because 50 pieces seems low for a production of a brand new watch from scratch.

Not that I know much about watch production. I was just quoted a run in the hundreds of watches, merely to start up a new production run of an already existing watch, when I inquired about buying a batch of watches from a manufacturer.

Grand Master

Seems OK - has a Chopard look to it. Too big, though.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I quite like it. My wife has a couple of CWs and a mate has a few. Overall I think their ladies watches are better designs than the mens.

Master

Actually its not a bad watch, they are getting better all the time, I just wish they would use CW as the logo rather than Christopher Ward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nitsy
    Although I know absolutely zilch about production (and other) costs in watch production, I'm a little surprised that 50 is the minimum commitment required.
    Higher or lower than you expected?

In my experience of forum project watches, 100-150 is a more common minimum commitment, so a requirement for 50 doesn't seem at all bad to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher
    Actually its not a bad watch, they are getting better all the time, I just wish they would use CW as the logo rather than Christopher Ward.
    So what do you think of the fothcoming "Chr.Ward"? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher
    So what do you think of the fothcoming "Chr.Ward"? :-)
    The Chr.Ward logo is a disaster imo, CW, Ward or the full name would be much better.

On the watch front, I really like the dial details of the C90 above, it certainly seems well built, a little on the expensive side though. Nice watch all the same.

I've had 3 CW watches 2 C4's a C6 and I know a friend who bought a C60 recently. Build quality was really good on the C60 Trident but the design of the dial is too silly and blatantly SMP/Sub cloned, it would've been wearable if the hands were a little less gaudy, but cant fault the overall presence and finish of the case. My friend loves it!
    I sold the 2 C4's and have held on to the C6 as the blue dial is quite mesmerizing. In fairness all were bought in sales and neither cost over 150 quid. What I fear for CW is they have no idea where to go from here...they'd have been better off sticking to the sub 500 quid market...the jump hour at over 1K is ridiculous.

Master

I think this watch has one of the best looking dials ive seen..the different levels and the balance is excellent. I just think it's a little pricey, but still a great watch :)

Master

Interesting that a few think this is overpriced. At the full retail, it is probably still the lowest-priced watch with the A07.161 movement. There is a Zeppelin at €900, and you might find a Longines Master collection PR at £1500+, but after that you move into >£2k territory - for example, in the Glycine Incursore PR.

A bit of feedback about the movement... It is clearly a relative of the 7750, as it exhibits the same strong centrifugal effect when the rotor gets going (the wobble). There is also some rotor noise - nothing outrageous, but it is there. Finally, the self-winding seems very efficient.

Chr. Ward watches make my skin crawl. Surely the British Invicta - I've just looked at their bestselling selection and I see obvious derivatives of (from L-R) B&R, Stauss (skymall), a chopped B&R, TAG, Marcello-C, Hamilton, Steinhart and some gold plated crap with an unknown automatic movt that looks like a 2824 so if it is, why not say so, or is it a Chinese knock-off and that's why no comment? Also the £25.00 alligator strap upgrade is very funny - really, an alligator upgrade for £25.00. Fooey. That alligator must have died a few decades ago and was last seen in a pair of well-worn shoes at the Salvation Army.
    http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watch- ... s/men.html
    :twisted:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sijoc
    Chr. Ward watches make my skin crawl. Surely the British Invicta - I've just looked at their bestselling selection and I see obvious derivatives of (from L-R) B&R, Stauss (skymall), a chopped B&R, TAG, Marcello-C, Hamilton, Steinhart and some gold plated crap with an unknown automatic movt that looks like a 2824 so if it is, why not say so, or is it a Chinese knock-off and that's why no comment? Also the £25.00 alligator strap upgrade is very funny - really, an alligator upgrade for £25.00. Fooey. That alligator must have died a few decades ago and was last seen in a pair of well-worn shoes at the Salvation Army.
    http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watch- ... s/men.html
    :twisted:
    If you are gonna spew-up bile, could you at least try to be accurate?

The 'unknown automatic movement' is stated as a 2824-2 or Sellita SW200.
    The alligator upgrade is £125, not £25.

Good grief. :roll:

Oh, please excuse my mini browser not seeing those details. I stand corrected, and I thank you for the use of bile as it is descriptive of the watches. They look awful. :pukeleft:
    Did you ever wonder why your preface that they are not popular is so? Mass produced, unoriginal, step-above a mall cart brand. :mrgreen:

Master

Oh, please excuse my mini browser not seeing those details. I stand corrected, and I thank you for the use of bile as it is descriptive of the watches. They look awful. :pukeleft:
    Did you ever wonder why your preface that they are not popular is so? Mass produced, unoriginal, step-above a mall cart brand. :mrgreen:
    Just grow up for God's sake. We all like different things, and can all afford to spend different amounts on watches. Honestly, you are like a stupid little kid with your inane drivel. :roll:

I wondered how long it would take the haters to arrive! :lol:

My favourite bit, right, was, like, when this guy, sijoc, right, he goes all "this is rubbish and that is rubbish", right, and "it says this and that", right, and then, like, downer, right, he goes all "no it doesn't say that if you care to read the website" and sijoc, he's like all "you can't expect me to actually read the thing correctly before complaining", right, and it's like funny because he's an idiot.

It's not for me downer but I see why you like it and it is a good value, quality watch for that movement.

Quote Originally Posted by imb1
    I quite like Christopher Ward.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by downer
    Just grow up for God's sake. We all like different things, and can all afford to spend different amounts on watches. Honestly, you are like a stupid little kid with your inane drivel. :roll:
    OK. You put me in my place. :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis
    I wondered how long it would take the haters to arrive! :lol:

My favourite bit, right, was, like, when this guy, sijoc, right, he goes all "this is rubbish and that is rubbish", right, and "it says this and that", right, and then, like, downer, right, he goes all "no it doesn't say that if you care to read the website" and sijoc, he's like all "you can't expect me to actually read the thing correctly before complaining", right, and it's like funny because he's an idiot.

It's not for me downer but I see why you like it and it is a good value, quality watch for that movement.

Quote Originally Posted by imb1
    I quite like Christopher Ward.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    The hater did arrive. And then he got called an idiot. Like. :D :D :D

Christopher Ward C90

You may have a point (for certain watches in the range) when you say unoriginal, but how do you arrive at the mass-produced comment when each model only has a run of a few hundred watches? If that's mass produced what does that make Rolex or Omega?

Out of genuine curiosity, what brands in the same price range would you say are genuinely original/innovative?

Banned

You may have a point (for certain watches in the range) when you say unoriginal, but how do you arrive at the mass-produced comment when each model only has a run of a few hundred watches? If that's mass produced what does that make Rolex or Omega?

Out of genuine curiosity, what brands in the same price range would you say are genuinely original/innovative?
    They only make a few hundred so as not to have too many left at the end of their ever present sales, not because of anything to do with exclusivity.

Mass produced as far as nothing original?
    To answer your question, I don't think there is anything original in the price range - that's perhaps why there are so many derivatives in the brand.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

They aren't for everyone and yes some of their range does look very similar to b&r and the odd omega model but for what they cost and how well they wear, they are a good option.

I've only had very positive comments about mine, particularly the dbr1 and that's from people with some very high end kit.

If all you wear is jlc or iwc then no, they probably aren't for you, but don't run them down for the people who do like them.

I get as much pleasure out of wearing mine as I do any of my other watches and I do have a few nice ones also.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

They only make a few hundred so as not to have too many left at the end of their ever present sales, not because of anything to do with exclusivity.
    I agree with you about the ever-present sales. For that reason, I would not buy a CW at full retail price. Just the same as I would not pay full retail for a new Omega, Oris, Ball, Longines..insert UK High Street brand of your choice..

Christopher Ward C90

Quote Originally Posted by downer
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

I agree with you about the ever-present sales. For that reason, I would not buy a CW at full retail price. Just the same as I would not pay full retail for a new Omega, Oris, Ball, Longines..insert UK High Street brand of your choice..
    I'm with you on that. The sales de-value the brand, when you see a model a few months old being discounted it says to me "this model didn't sell like we thought it would...!"

...but don't run them down for the people who do like them.

I get as much pleasure out of wearing mine as I do any of my other watches and I do have a few nice ones also.
    Excellent. Watches are for wearing and enjoying. Brand forums are for like-minded people to chat and enjoy the same brand and a general forum is for fun.

Watches are for wearing and enjoying. Brand forums are for like-minded people to chat and enjoy the same brand and a general forum is for fun.
    sijoc, what on earth are you doing? This is TZ-UK. You aren't supposed to act all reasonable and nice, you are supposed to get wound up and start a massive flame war which results in Eddie wading in, making a sharp comment, banning nine people and raising the post limit on SC to ten million. Get with the program, would ya? :wink:

Lovely movement, I'm not so sure about the style and the bold labeling of the "power reserve" indicator.
    But otherwise very nice value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis
    Watches are for wearing and enjoying. Brand forums are for like-minded people to chat and enjoy the same brand and a general forum is for fun.
    sijoc, what on earth are you doing? This is TZ-UK. You aren't supposed to act all reasonable and nice, you are supposed to get wound up and start a massive flame war which results in Eddie wading in, making a sharp comment, banning nine people and raising the post limit on SC to ten million. Get with the program, would ya? :wink:
    That flame war ended a few years ago. Just like there were no German tourists in Britain 70 years ago but there are now - people forget. But thanks for the encouragement. :D
    Seems like my sarcasm wasn't sarcastic enough for the obsequious CW'ers and their repugnant magazine watches or for you. Sorry. I'll try harder next time. :twisted:

Christopher Ward C90

Meaning your others are nice and the CW not so? :-) ;-) :-)
    Gray

Nice pick-up Richard and at a good price. The original prototype images we saw over on the CW forum suggested the piece would look anaemic but pictures of the piece in real-life show a complementary level of dial colour and detail. Even the perennial problem of the small date window is not as glaring as first thought. I am still not sure about the red power level hand but it is in line with the design of the piece and isn't that much of a problem. I have now spent many minutes with my finger hovering near the buy button for this piece on the CW website!

I have absolutely no idea why the keyboard warriors of this forum feel the need to lay down their negativity with such vehemence when it comes to writing about CW watches. Suggesting that a brand makes ones skin crawl is bloody ridiculous. The sound of rats scuttling around in the barn makes my skin crawl, as does walking past a graveyard in the dead of night or handling a flipping big spider or looking at an old, wrinkly man licking the face of a lovely young lady. Reading about someone's new watch purchase does not.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gray

Meaning your others are nice and the CW not so? :-) ;-) :-)
    Not rising to the bait ;)