closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A thought about emergency watches

A thought about emergency watches

There I was last night laying in the bath contemplating the day gone past, when a though popped into my mind.. No not that one.
    Emergency watches, when is the correct time to use it? I know if your stuck up a mountain or in mid Atlantic and your boat capsizes thats probably exceptable!
    What these days constitutes as an emergency? For me running out of Hobnob on a wet wednesday is a crisis. so I know may be they have a use for military and adventurous type people, the bloke in 127 hours could have done with one!
    would it be ok, say your walking in the peak district with your family and one slips and twists/broke an ankle would then be ok, or does it have to life threatening not to land a good bollocking and a fine.
    I dont wish to affend or appear flippant , I was just wondering.
    As I said. I was laying in the bath.........

Craftsman

Re: A thought about emergency watches

I believe that they start trying to find you with the signal only when you are declared as missing.

If you activate your emergency signal in the middle of London, nobody will try to find you.

Don't know the answer, and never had one of these contraptions, but if I had one I feel sure there would be a very precise guide to it's use supplied with it - perhaps an owner could enlighten us?

Given that it is a radio transmission I'd put it into the same category as a 'Mayday' call: grave and imminent threat requiring immediate assistance.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

I wonder how many people have been rescued thanks to their Breitling.

Craftsman

I believe this describes the situation today: "The international Council of COSPAS-S&RSAT decided in October 2000 \[in response to guidance from the IMO (International Maritime Organization) and the ICAO (International Civil Aviation)\] to cease processing the 121.5 MHz analog signals by satellite on 1 February 2009. From that date on, only the 406 MHz beacons will be detected by satellite. The decision was made to reduce the chronically high false alarm rate from analog distress beacons. Currently 97 percent of analog distress beacon signals are false alarms."
    Breitlings should have 121.5 MHz, so not much help if you activate it.

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    Not as many as have been mugged for it.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Done to death before.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

"Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master

Uhhh, another Breitling emergency thread :roll:

The watch is only supposed to be used in an aviation-related emergency. If monarch run out of sandwiches or there's no more business seats left on BA then I wouldn't use it though!

Emergency services still have the equipment to search for 121.5mhz but I believe they would only activate if they know you have such a transmitter. Otherwise the satellite signal is solely used for searching.

The myth that there's a big button to press is just that... Just to clear that one up.

Grand Master

All very good. But again, the Emergency is not designed to reach satellites - only SAR. Perhaps a sticky...?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE
    Uhhh, another Breitling emergency thread :roll:
    I like 'em :wink:

I like Rolex...but I also like Omega :lol: :lol:

Banned

ant penaltys for misuse?

Quote Originally Posted by soapy
    ant penaltys for misuse?
    $30k? Or the direct costs of the rescue mission?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy
    ant penaltys for misuse?
    $30k? Or the direct costs of the rescue mission?
    Last AD told me the penalty is now unlimited. Must be related to the mission on that basis.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Master

I think the penalty fee would be whatever the emergency service wants to charge... Although would they always go down that route?

Watching Corrie last night... The fire service were called but there was no fire. Hope Nick got fined! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Correct. And if Breitling made them only available to those holding a pilot's license we wouldn't be having threads where people ask if it's ok to activate an aviation emergency transmitter because they're stuck up a hill! NO! You may only use them in the event of an aviation emergency, i.e plane crash or imminent one.
    Correct! Interestingly the registration form you have to send off to Breitling when you purchase one requires you to supply your type of aeronautical license and the license number. I don't see much point in owning one if you don't spend a lot of your time in aircraft; other than the kudos factor I guess ;)

Master

I dont see the point myself unless you are crossing the atlantic in a rowing boat, or hiking ot the north pole etc.

The Ł34k fine for misuse is enough to put me off.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher
    I dont see the point myself unless you are crossing the atlantic in a rowing boat, or hiking ot the north pole etc.

All sorts of figures for the fine coming out... Gotta be one of the biggest Chinese whispers of the 21st century

I'm tempted to post up the whole "Contract of Sale" but not sure if that's allowed...

However, to quote condition 2 of the contract of sale for the Breitling Emergency:
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitling SA
    The transmitter cannot be activated, except in clear situations of distress occurring exclusively in the context of aeronautical activities - by pilots or passengers of planes, helicopters, hot air balloons, airships, gliders, hang-gliders, para-gliders, ultra light aircraft and by skydivers.
    (my highlighting)

There is no figure mentioned as to what the financial penalty for misuse is, only that the owner would have to pay for it (as well as the cost to fix the watch).

Think that pretty much clears it up for anyone wondering.

Now I know. Thanks for making it clear...

Master

:lol:

I think you've also missed the point! :twisted: It CANNOT be used whilst crossing the atlantic in a ruddy rowing boat nor when lying at the bottom of a ravine in the North Pole!!!

It is for AVIATION EMERGENCIES ONLY!!

121.5 is an aviation frequency, used for aviation emergency signals!! Not rowing, not hiking, not blowing yourself up or setting fire to your bits! Just aviation! :bom:
    I have not missed the point at all - I cant see the point in them - period :roll:

I have not missed the point at all - I cant see the point in them - period :roll:
    You have if you think activating a transmission on 121.5 in the middle of the Atlantic in a rowing boat would be a good idea. :lol: :lol:

In fairness, unless you're a pilot, then as you said there is no point whatsoever.
    Couldn't you just tell them your plane sank? :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford

You have if you think activating a transmission on 121.5 in the middle of the Atlantic in a rowing boat would be a good idea. :lol: :lol:

In fairness, unless you're a pilot, then as you said there is no point whatsoever.
    Couldn't you just tell them your plane sank? :wink:
    You could until they asked for your log book and licence. :lol: :lol:
    Yeah so just say "my logbook and license were in the plane's glovebox occifer..." :-D

Master

I dont care what frequencey it transmits on. Its a gimmick and you will most likely be dead by the time anybody finds you. It did not work for Steve Fossett.

Craftsman

If Fossett was alive when he crashed the emergency would have saved him. You can be sure all the aircrafts that were looking for him were monitoring that frequency.

I have the terms here, the important point form it has been posted above. They do state if you use it in a real emergency then they'll recondition and replace the transmitter for free, which is nice of them :mrgreen:

Given a choice between a likely death and a large bill (which I might not be able to pay anyway), I think I would choose to use the transmitter (if I had one).
    If the transmitter didn't work I wouldn't be in a position to care, or if it did but the emergency services didn't make it in time, they can send the bill to the trustees of my estate :)

I think the penalty fee would be whatever the emergency service wants to charge... Although would they always go down that route?

Watching Corrie last night... The fire service were called but there was no fire. Hope Nick got fined! :-D
    Clearly you know very little about the emergency services :roll:

I dont care what frequencey it transmits on. Its a gimmick and you will most likely be dead by the time anybody finds you. It did not work for Steve Fossett.
    You know the details of the Fossett crash?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Well please do enlighten us.

What do you (specifically) want to know?

Starter for 10......

Calling the Fire Service with good intent = Ł0 charge, malicious call = up to Ł5000 fine/six months in prison (or both).

Master

[quote=Chris_in_the_UK]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Chris_in_the_UK":mdc05ta7

Starter for 10......

Calling the Fire Service with good intent = Ł0 charge, malicious call = up to Ł5000 fine/six months in prison (or both).[/quote:mdc05ta7]

Well thanks for the input... Although you could have just said this anyhow. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it.

[quote=W44NNE]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Chris_in_the_UK":1t27oqj7

Starter for 10......

Calling the Fire Service with good intent = Ł0 charge, malicious call = up to Ł5000 fine/six months in prison (or both).
    Well thanks for the input... Although you could have just said this anyhow. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it.[/quote:1t27oqj7]

Ok - soz, nothing more annoying to emergency services personnel than somebody making light hearted comments.

Sorry for being a bit 'prickly' :roll:

Master

Fair enough although the light hearted comment was in no way aimed at the emergency services! It was relating to the fiction of Corrie which I'm made to watch by her indoors! You got the completely wrong end of the stick... We all appreciate what you do.

Hope this thread goes back on topic now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    ........... I don't see much point in owning one if you don't spend a lot of your time in aircraft; other than the kudos factor I guess ;)
    You've got it in one. The Breitling Emergency is one of the 'honorary mechanicals' as far as the WIS community is concerned. :D

Emergency Signaling, Emergency Beacons and Breitling’s EMERGENCY Wristwatch.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f39/emerge ... h-170.html

Owners of the Breitling Emergency Watch can breathe a sigh of relief since the FCC will leave intact the waiver granted to Breitling that permits marketing and use of the company’s Emergency Watch, which is considered a homing beacon and not an ELT, and was never dependent upon Cospas-Sarsat’s processing of 121.5 MHz distress signals. “The commission agrees that “Cospas-Sarsat’s termination of satellite monitoring of 121.5 MHz has no bearing on the utility of the Breitling Emergency Watch and has no impact on its functionality and safety benefits.”

FCC Prohibits 121.5 MHz ELT Use
    http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... 0ELT%20Use
    Can only pilots purchase the Breitling Emergency?

This used to be the case in the US. However, with the introduction of the 2002 model, non-pilots can purchase the Emergency as well. It does have to be registered by submitting your driver's license number. (The Unofficial Breitling FAQ)
    john

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    You've got it in one. The Breitling Emergency is one of the 'honorary mechanicals' as far as the WIS community is concerned. :D
    Lets not forget the chronograph, the 'deep dive' watch etc.............

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Lets not forget the chronograph, the 'deep dive' watch etc.............
    I don't get what you mean. :scratch:

This is what Breitling have on their site:
    http://www.breitling.com/en/models/prof ... /index.php
    http://www.breitling.com/modeles/pdf/BR ... 148_en.pdf

john

121.5 is an aviation frequency, used for aviation emergency signals!! Not rowing, not hiking, not blowing yourself up or setting fire to your bits! Just aviation! :bom:
    Incorrect. 121.5MHz is an emergency freq. ELTs, EPIRBs and PLBs all operate on that frequency and the military also use 121.5 (at least they did, not sure what current SOP is) for emergency calls of all sorts, not just aviation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Incorrect. 121.5MHz is an emergency freq. ELTs, EPIRBs and PLBs all operate on that frequency and the military also use 121.5 (at least they did, not sure what current SOP is) for emergency calls of all sorts, not just aviation.
    The boats I work on have EPIRB's that transmit on both 406 and 121.5 Mhz.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Hmm..not sure. I know they have but thought it was now purely for aviation purposes but I could be wrong. Haven't flown for a while now, though, so I could be out of the loop.
    See my post above. :wink:

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    The boats I work on have EPIRB's that transmit on both 406 and 121.5 Mhz.

R
    They do now, as do the PLBs. But 121.5 was never dedicated to aviation emergencies, that's just plain silly.

I think the boats need to seek special permission to use it, though, don't they?
    Nope.
    They are activated either automatically by immersion in seawater (so the boats gone down) or manually by a crew-man (boats going down or on fire).

I've no idea whom I'd be expected to seek permission from but rest assured I wouldn't be giving it much thought at the time. :wink:

R

Grand Master

That's because according to his wife, he left his on the dresser. D'oh.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/09/13/fo ... pstoryview

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    I've read anything from 21, to "more than 60", to "hundreds" but only Breitling will know, and that's assuming the watch was returned for the transmitter to be re-loaded or whatever it is they do with it. And for some higher authority (the government? :lol:) to decide that the owner was sufficiently imperilled that non-activation would have resulted in certain death. So no-one really knows.

In 1995 people on board an expedition craft in the Pacific were rescued when someone picked up the PLB from a squawking Emergency. That wasn't aviation distress, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I think the boats need to seek special permission to use it, though, don't they?
    Nope.
    They are activated either automatically by immersion in seawater (so the boats gone down) or manually by a crew-man (boats going down or on fire).

I've no idea whom I'd be expected to seek permission from but rest assured I wouldn't be giving it much thought at the time. :wink:

R
    No I mean they were banned from use on boats apparently when the satellite scanning ceased. AFAIK boats now have to seek special permission to have them on board.
    One of the largest emergency beacon manufacturers in the world is McMurdo and their EPIRB range are all dual frequency transmitters.

It was a McMurdo EPIRB that saved the lives of the two Trans-Atlantic rowers who were rescued when they activated the beacon after their boat sank in the middle of the Atlantic last month
    The transatlantic rowers, Briton Tom Fancett and Dutchman Tom Sauer, were nine days into the Talisker Whiskey Atlantic Challenge, a 3,000 mile endurance rowing event from the Canary Islands to Barbados, when a freak wave struck their boat and caused it to capsize and sink.

The Falmouth Coastguard received the alert at 7:54pm on Tuesday 13th December, 480 miles South West of the Canary Islands from the UK registered McMurdo beacon, belonging to the Atlantic Challenge rowing boat PS Vita. The Falmouth Coast Guard broadcast an alert to all vessels in the area. Four vessels picked up the alert however approximately 120 miles from the location, and closest to the scene, was Crystal Serenity a Bahamian registered cruise ship which was en route to St Martin in the Caribbean from Tenerife.

The two rowers, who had spent at least 10 hours adrift in their tiny life raft before being saved, were rescued uninjured by the crew of Crystal Serenity in the early hours of the morning on Wednesday 14th December.
    I'd be interested to know a) who's banned them and b) whom you need to seek special permission from for having them on board?

R