closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your thoughts about the Longines Legend Diver

What's your thoughts about the Longines Legend Diver

I am quite new here as you can see.
    I have been thinking about getting me a Longines Legend Diver for some time now.
    Before I rush away and get me one i am interested in alternatives when it comes to a watch that works with a suit as well as t-shirt and jeans.

Looking forward to any suggestions.

V

Craftsman

Re: What's your thoughts about the Longines Legend Diver

I've been thinking about one as well, but then I'm a fellow newbie

IMO the LLD is one of the best all rounders and the best for that money. So, look no further ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Marios
    IMO the LLD is one of the best all rounders and the best for that money. So, look no further ;)
    Do you have one yourself?

I have seen it in flesh and it looks great for my taste. IMHO it is a great opportunity to by a vintage looking watch in new condition, if you like this style. Regarding the brand, personally I have a Longines Conquest for 2.5 years now I'm very happy with it.

Not yet. Tried it on quite a few times though.

Nice size, lovely finish to it, classy and sporty too on the sailcloth strap,

God I wish I still had mine

No date version - buy it (if you can find one). Date version - hmmmmmm :?

I've had the Hydroconquest chrono automatic and i really like Longines as a brand, it's good value for money.
    You guys convinced me even more to get the LLD, hope to find one without the date which i definately prefer.

thx :)

Craftsman

Try it on first. The lug-to-lug was too big for me. (I bought it anyway). I then sold it, because the lug-to-lug was too big for me.

If it fits, you need never wear another watch. I think it's the handsomest little thing under 5k. If the lug to lug were 3-4mm shorter and the movement were a 2892, I'd have sold my entire collection and just worn that. Bloody brilliant watch.

^I generally prefer watches with date, but I'd definately make an exception for the LLD.

Blog Entries

The dateless version is a cracker.
    Fair prices as well.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I'd never heard of it until now, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Marios
    ^I generally prefer watches with date, but I'd definately make an exception for the LLD.
    I also normally prefer watches with date, but for the LLD it looks much more cleaner without it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by maxw

hmmm... Don't buy it :wink:
    I'm looking for one at SC.

OK I only just noticed it has two crowns. Strange!

Apparently "two screw down crowns, one for winding and the other for internal bezel operation.". Source.

Do does the internal bexel rotate?

Love them. I have always wanted a compressor case piece, and these fit the bill. They came in date and no date style.....I'd go date.

Definitely on my "Bucket list"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

The LLD is the watch I regret selling the most.. It's a brilliant bit of kit for the money.
    Yes, the internal bezel rotates.. There's one crown for time/date setting and the other one moves the bezel.
    I can see myself getting another one at some point.

Anyone know when they started selling the new model?
    2008?

Quote Originally Posted by Vnagenius

Wouldn't bother, old chap. Anything like that is traded in the Bullingdon. :wink:
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point

Wouldn't bother, old chap. Anything like that is traded in the Bullingdon. :wink:
    :) thanks

I really wanted to like this as I'm a 60's and 70's style junky. However I just don't like the hands, they look too flat and cheap like they're stamped out of a bit of old tin. If they used a sword profile it would improve the look considerably.

All imho as ever and I'm happy other like the watch, Longines are a good manufacturer and deserve to do well.

Cheers,
    Gary

They do look good, but i didn't think i was really a Longines man :D

I always liked the EPSA-designed large twin crown super-compressor case, so looked forward to the LLD release, only to be disappointed when I handled one, with an issue that I understand is resolved better in the current production (poor edges on hands).

So I count myself lucky to get the tip-off that there may be spaces available on a Spanish forum project watch at ForodeRelojes.

At 1/3 of the LLD price, with nicer hands (imho) and more charisma (again imho) I think the Pleamar is a very credible alternative, and I have been wearing mine all week.

Excuse the thumb-print

However, there are only 200 of them, so you will struggle to find one.

Dave

I bought the LLD from SC a few months back... absolutely love it! Nice to have a Vintage watch but brand spanking new!! It is a large watch but wears really really well. I have the no date version, which is perfect as I don't really like date windows!

BUY, BUY, BUY if you can!!

Master

It's the best watch available at its price level IMHO. Dress up with a nice leather, dress down with a NATO. Can look sporty or classy with ease. I have one and it's going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets
    I always liked the EPSA-designed large twin crown super-compressor case, so looked forward to the LLD release, only to be disappointed when I handled one, with an issue that I understand is resolved better in the current production (poor edges on hands).

So I count myself lucky to get the tip-off that there may be spaces available on a Spanish forum project watch at ForodeRelojes.

At 1/3 of the LLD price, with nicer hands (imho) and more charisma (again imho) I think the Pleamar is a very credible alternative, and I have been wearing mine all week.

Excuse the thumb-print

However, there are only 200 of them, so you will struggle to find one.

Dave
    Never seen this watch before.
    Nice looking watch quite similar to the LLD, however it sounds like it might be hard to get my hands on one...

Thanks for nice pictures

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    I really wanted to like this as I'm a 60's and 70's style junky. However I just don't like the hands, they look too flat and cheap like they're stamped out of a bit of old tin. If they used a sword profile it would improve the look considerably.

All imho as ever and I'm happy other like the watch, Longines are a good manufacturer and deserve to do well.

Cheers,
    Gary

Glad i was not alone in my thoughts and your specific observations concur. A decent enough looking timepiece utterly compromised by those cheap looking hands :(
    I wanted a simple inexpensive 'dress/sports watch' and bought an Oris with which i'm very happy. It does what it's designed too, all i could ask and for well inside a grand 8)

Mine has a slightly wider more obvious hand set.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    It's the best watch available at its price level IMHO. Dress up with a nice leather, dress down with a NATO. Can look sporty or classy with ease. I have one and it's going nowhere.
    Are you sure it's going nowhere... :wink:

I like the looks of the LLD as well, but unfortunately the length (lug-to-lug) is way too big for me. Didn't look right... :(

Master

I wanted one for ages, but when I got it I was very disappointed with it. I always liked it in shop windows, but not on my wrist for some reason.

Master

I wanted one until I bought Eddie's PRS-25 Everest - all of the features which drew me to the Longines at a far better price.

The Master Collection and especially this watch has been the one that has been competing with the LLD for me.
    The downside is that it's not working as a casual watch in the same way as the LLD.

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    I wanted one until I bought Eddie's PRS-25 Everest - all of the features which drew me to the Longines at a far better price.
    Do you have any picture of the watch?

Journeyman

I can't fault Longines watches at all.

I've owned a Hydroconquest since early last year which i'm reluctantly selling now to fund my next watch.

If I didn't have to sell for this reason I wouldn't be as they're superb value.

I love the Legend Diver too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan*S
    I can't fault Longines watches at all.

I've owned a Hydroconquest since early last year which i'm reluctantly selling now to fund my next watch.

If I didn't have to sell for this reason I wouldn't be as they're superb value.

I love the Legend Diver too.
    I've just sold my Hydroconquest, and just as you say I really liked but had to let it go to finance my new findings.

Journeyman

The LLD is a great watch. Its true to the original 1960s watch in every way (except for being a true Supercompressor case). Its lug to lug width is long though so you really need to try one on to see if you're happy with it. The strap is much maligned on various fora but I think it suits the watch nicely, though I mainly wear it on one of Eddie's black natos.

The box is absolutely MASSIVE so it might cost a bomb to ship if you decide to flip it later.......

I've not handled one so I'm basing my opinions purely on photos and window shopping, but for my money it looks like a faithful reissue, when so many reissue watches miss the mark and manage to have none of the charm of the original, I think it's a job well done.

Much prefer the non date though.

Master

I like mine a great deal, I wish I'd bought one earlier. I think that the non-date version may look a little better, but I know from experience that I need the date on my watches so I went for the date version.

I tried one out recently on a trip to an AD - seemed expensive for what is was, then I pulled out the crown and the whole movement including dial came loose inside the case! - like they'd forgotten to fit the spacer or something. May be an isolated incident but I left the store with a very poor impression of Longines quality control, especially at this (for Longines) inflated price point.

Thanks for all the input!

Thread over now 50 posts reached?

Quote Originally Posted by Bozza
    Thread over now 50 posts reached?
    It depends. Do you have anything else to write regarding the LLD or you just wanted to tell me the obvious??

I really wanted som answers and opinions regarding the LLD and this was of course a good way to reach the 50.
    But I'm in no way finished in the other forums.

I am not here just to get hold of SC as many others

Best Regards :)

Master

I had a date version a while ago that I sold. Then I went and bought another - this time the no-date version which I prefer. In fact most of my watches are without a date, including a Speedy, Sub ND and a Flightmaster.

The LLD really is great value for the money, and it seems the domed sapphire or plexi look is "on trend" at the moment, witness the PRS-25 Everest, the Bell & Ross vintage range and even some of the Oris pilot watches are starting to appeal more strongly.

I've mine on my wrist right now, the first time in a few weeks and it'll be doing sterling duty for a black-tie do tonight. I prefer mine on a sharkskin strap, as the original versions were sold, or on a tropic-style rubber. It's a great modern size, but with the look of vintage. I was actually thinking of selling, but seeing it on the wrist makes me realise why I bought it in the first place.

Still, I might feel differently tomorrow :wink:

Here's some snaps, some of the date version I had on sharkskin.

Ant

On the rubber tropic

Gorgeous caseback

And on the sharkskin

And a moody couple for those who like 'em

Quote Originally Posted by frp422
    I had a date version a while ago that I sold. Then I went and bought another - this time the no-date version which I prefer. In fact most of my watches are without a date, including a Speedy, Sub ND and a Flightmaster.

The LLD really is great value for the money, and it seems the domed sapphire or plexi look is "on trend" at the moment, witness the PRS-25 Everest, the Bell & Ross vintage range and even some of the Oris pilot watches are starting to appeal more strongly.

I've mine on my wrist right now, the first time in a few weeks and it'll be doing sterling duty for a black-tie do tonight. I prefer mine on a sharkskin strap, as the original versions were sold, or on a tropic-style rubber. It's a great modern size, but with the look of vintage. I was actually thinking of selling, but seeing it on the wrist makes me realise why I bought it in the first place.

Still, I might feel differently tomorrow :wink:

Here's some snaps, some of the date version I had on sharkskin.

Ant

On the rubber tropic

Gorgeous caseback

And on the sharkskin

And a moody couple for those who like 'em

Beautiful pictures and a stunning watch!
    Send me a pm if you would like to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    Do you have any picture of the watch?
    Try here: http://www.timefactors.com/

:wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Tried two of these today in Fraser Hart at Cabots Circus in Bristol. The stainless steel was very nice but they only had the date & i would much prefer the non date especially if i'm going to buy new as they've just gone up to £1,420 from £1,350. Then i tried the 18ct rose gold version which i absolutely loved, again a date version but this such a beautiful watch in the gold that i could have overlooked that but what i could not overlook was the £5,350 price tag, probably reasonable for gold but there are so many other watches i would buy with this kind of money that are on my wish list. A great buy used though & i was definitely impressed with the quality.

I had one of these and let it go recently to a forum member.

A very nice piece that drew much admiration and comment. Loved the weight and size of the dial and the engraved diver on the back is superb. I really hard to think long and hard of letting it go and changed my mind several times

Only (slight) criticism imo is the size of the hands as already mentioned, the dial is a bit "busy" and it was a bit shiny/glossy. I was always afraid of it scratching so easily.

Would I get another? - yout bet!! 8)

I wanted one, got one, let it go, and wished I didn't

Just a lovely watch the only fault I could find was that the lume was crap for a dive watch

Looks ace!