closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ever thought about ending it all?

Ever thought about ending it all?

No, this is not a festive season cry for help! I am not about to top myself so no words of encouragement please...

I am talking about the collection. I am not sure what it is but I seem to have weekly thoughts on significantly reducing the collection. I am not sure if it is having £xxxx tied up in watches, or realising I do not need 20+ watches or 10+ expensive watches or what. I know that as a hobby it is pretty illogical and can get expensive. Is it the economy? Just don't know.

Am I alone? Is anyone else feeling this?

Re: Ever thought about ending it all?

It crosses my mind but really everything else i'm likely to get into [like old cars] would be even more expensive and every trade would probably lose my a great deal more money than moving on a watch!

I used to have 20 plus expensive watches and I came to the same conclusion. I now have three and keep to a strict one in one out rule. I am much happier with the whole situation now and really enjoy those that I have.

Yup, that's why i stop collecting advertising figures. Now switch to watches, what's next, collecting chicks? :D only problem is basically time management. it is a healty hobby toward the golden age...like Wajs. Had got the opportunity to corresponce with him last year, you never know how young he is now. :wink:

Journeyman

The only time I would sell watches would be if I grew tired of them or was seriously short of cash.

Even if I was short of cash I could never sell my YG Yachtmaster-I'd sell every other possession I had first.

I've only been collecting for a short while and have acquired 20 odd watches already . However, some of them I regret and wish that I'd been more selective and bought more expensive, though fewer watches. I can't "flip" them (it doesn't feel right) but I find that I'm only wearing two or three pieces out of the collection so what's the point in having all these watches?

It's certainly making me more selective in my current spending plans.

I think most of us have feelings along those lines from time to time.

regards,
    Nick

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

:shock: I too have these thoughts...

Im with you , Next year im moving some and keeping 3-4 that i actually wear :wink:

Well i think i am anyway :lol:

Blog Entries

:shock: :shock: :shock:

, not yet, all is still well with me, maybe when I'm older.............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Dont think I've ever had the feeling to 'give it all up' .......but I've def been through the 12+ watches down to a more realistic half dozen of what I'd call decent enough watches.

There might be a time when I'd think about reducing slightly further to fund a more expensive purchase ( at the moment an AP ROO is pulling my attention) , but they'd never ever all go :shock:

Grand Master

Ive been up and down, the up was 21 units and the down was a Suunto only! But Im settled now with a reasonable split of stuff I can wear and like, I admit that I brought stuff I thought would impress and would grow in value but that shallow stage is long over
    RIAC

I am contemplating a collection sort out right now don't know if I'll take the plunge and post on SC though it could just be a fever and go off in time.

Craftsman

Doesnt the answer depend on the 'WHY' question. If they are a collection......then youve probably got more and dont wear many of them, if like me youre a bit of a user, I have less but wear them all. Essentially a 'wearer' is restricted by practical issues whereas a collector can have as many as suits

I liquidated most of the high end stuff + dozens of average priced watches, most of which I ether used only rarely or which had never even been unpacked from the factory boxes. Luckily I sold before the bottom fell out of the economy :mrgreen:

Was left with just a few watches and did not mean to, but have started to buy a few again.

We all go through this when the collection gets what we perceive as too big.

Do what I do - decide you are going to sell some and reduce the size - lie them all out in front of you in a row - then decide which ones you think you can move on.

I warn you though, I've done this many many times and often end up putting them all back with none to move on!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

When you step back and look at it, it's very easy to baulk when you realise that you have a 4-figure sum tied up in watches (and you don't have to have many watches to break the 4-figure barrier), and again from an objective point-of-view it could be seen as extravagant (if not obscene in this day-and-age). However, as others have said, if you don't dispose of your disposable income on watches, it would most likely be something else that you could not recover as good a proportion of your investment if needed.

It's a bit of a shame prices have run away from us recently. When you could get a prestige watch for a couple of grand, you could build a decent little collection from some of the great brands within the psychological £10k sum, whereas now it's not even two Rolex sports. The problem for me is that for £5k+ you are in the territory of some serious lifestyle purchases that are difficult to ignore. Also, the flipside of the price-rises is that the watches you have could be liquidated for quite a substantial sum. Thus, it's difficult not to think about what you could do with the money if you sold your collection.

It all boils down to whether you are getting joy out of your collection, and the individual pieces in the collection. If not, then you should probably consider slimming it down. I think anyone who has ever been into watches in any way would always want one or two decent watches, even if they didn't want a "collection".

Personally, I wear all of my watches regularly and feel a appreciate them, and my collection as a whole. I try to limit what I buy for the above reasons and like to think I am pretty careful in selection of potential buys as I don't want any (expensive) dead-weight.

Most of us had this feeling and I think it depends on several factors which make you decide to act on it.

Like most hobbies, it takes time, money and above all interest. When other factors make you shift one of those 3 points, you will reach a point which makes you reflect and question whether it’s still “worth” it.

Personally I’ve had this more then once, but in the end I still ended up returning to the watches :drunken:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-T
    Like most hobbies, it takes time, money and above all interest. When other factors make you shift one of those 3 points, you will reach a point which makes you reflect and question whether it’s still “worth” it.
    That's it in a nutshell for me too. In the last few years I've had no money concerns at all, but a few months ago several bits and pieces combined to leave me feeling the pinch. Very quickly, I felt the watches thing was an indulgence I could easily do without out, and my interest waned. I've even sold a couple of pieces that didn't mean much to me.

I'm still not back to being flush, but I now participate as more of a watch "watcher" than participator, and that's fun too.

...and hopefully in a couple of years I'll buy that Sub ;-)

I forget where i put mine, but i wouldnt sell up ever :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    No, this is not a festive season cry for help! I am not about to top myself so no words of encouragement please...

I am talking about the collection. I am not sure what it is but I seem to have weekly thoughts on significantly reducing the collection. I am not sure if it is having £xxxx tied up in watches, or realising I do not need 20+ watches or 10+ expensive watches or what. I know that as a hobby it is pretty illogical and can get expensive. Is it the economy? Just don't know.

I am glad it's not just me. I still have an interest, still wear most of them and still have watches I would like to own but just feel I have too many. Despite this, I would love a new 42mm Explorer! That said, I can't see myself buying new ever again. As has been said, RRP list prices have got ridiculous though that has meant that the odd item in the collection has outperformed cash in the bank.

I have shifted on a couple that I just never wore. I think I could settle on a smaller number and rotate them more fairly as currently 3 are getting far more wear than the others. I would then have less £ tied up in 'stuff' but the £ would end up in savings or thrown at the mortgage. I am sure I would still have the bug though.

Master

I've been there recently, and still am in some respects. I currently wear:

1. Rolex Sea-Dweller (most of the time)
    2. Omega Speedmaster Professional (most of the rest of the time)
    3. Rolex 14060 on a nato for dress-down, weekends etc.

But I also own, yet rarely wear, a Longines Legend Diver no-date and an Omega Flightmaster 911 that's away being serviced.

I'm thinking one diver(SD or Sub), a chrono (the Speedy) and an "office" watch (thinking along the lines of a pilot watch) would do me and they'd all get regular wear.

Ant

Blog Entries

This is an interesting subject. And to be honest, the thought crosses my mind from time to time. Last time was a few weeks back when I visited a fellow watch collector. His collection was so much nicer than mine. Mind you, not more expensive or larger. No, there was a theme! He has this old Seiko brochure from the early 70s. And he's collecting all watches pictured in that brochure! He has to search high and low for these watches, I tell you. And it's so much fun. Lots of these watches are 'worthless' to other collectors. For him, it's a thrill to get that watch.

Perhaps I should try and start one segmented collection too: 70s 7733 chronos? Regatta watches? Not ending, but changing course. The jury is still out on that one.

Menno

I ended it all around 1990. Do I get a prize?

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Craftsman

Sometimes I've thought about reducing my collection of 3 watches down to 1 grail, nevermind 20 down to 3! :lol: I don't think I could ever do it though. I'm happy with 3; It's enough for some variation, but not so many that watches end up not being worn for months on end :)

Quote Originally Posted by 964RS

I warn you though, I've done this many many times and often end up putting them all back with none to move on!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
    That's me exactly. :lol:

I'm going to settle at 4 I think. I'm swapping between 2 regularly currently, and I'm working on a 5 year plan to grow to 4 (ok, or 5) that should keep me content.
    (M)any more and it seems to be entering the realm of collector. Whilst I'm a hoarder I don't consider myself a collector.

Funny isn't it? One moment you want more watches, the next fewer. It's a constant battle for me.

I regard myself as a wearer rather tnan a collector. 6 is a nice number I find.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    I regard myself as a wearer rather tnan a collector. 6 is a nice number I find.
    That's the answer, as I see it.

Variety so you don't get bored and have a watch for every occasion.
    Not too many.
    Wear them all.

Out of my ten, there are 5 that very rarely get worn. In the new year, I'll put some on SC and stick to four only. This cull will include selling my watch box to stop me filling those gaps!

I had many. I now have 4. I only wear 1 and am very likely to reduce the current holding down to 3 if not 2. I am happy with that and feel no need for any more or any less and haven't done for a long time. :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    I only wear 1 and am very likely to reduce the current holding down to 3 if not 2.
    :shock: :pale:

Master

Many times, a big collection does my head in. Sometime in the new year there is going to be a major cull. Watch this space.....

Banned

Personally I think most WIS take certain 'paths'...

These are examples only, but more a change of direction rather than coming to an end.

Cost: You move up the scale at every flip, eg. From Seiko to Rolex.

WIS Favourites: Grand Seiko, LLD, MM300, overpriced Seamasters etc.

Vintage: Original to even more original to replacement dial and hands :mrgreen:

Taste: This is me at the moment. I buy what takes my fancy for my own reasons after years of the above. Currently very little, but I love them all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    I only wear 1 and am very likely to reduce the current holding down to 3 if not 2.
    :shock: :pale:
    :lol: Don't worry Peter, i'm ok. :D

I keep looking but nothing interests me at the moment, not to say it won't change....... And the cull has been down to this year's philosophy of if it isn't worn, out the door...a new ruthless streak :twisted:

When I first started many years ago, i felt the same way, collecting watch after watch. I then decided to go for Casio G-shocks as it was cheap, affordable and most importantly, trusty. I then moved up the rungs by collecting only limited editions and mind you, they cost 350-700 a pop. Finally i got tired of 'em all, moved up to mechanicals and got hooked on omegas - SMPs, POs and vintage. Sold all of 'em, moved to IWC and Brietling. I finally liquidated everything and now im just down to one Casio Frogman (Brazilian Addict); a Stowa Fliegeur, COSC Airman (for ultra-dress down occasions), and a Rolex 16660 as a new acquisition. What I've done is that by moving up the rungs, I've become more selective and less of a hoarder.

FMF

Master

I used to have a (for me) big collection of around 20 watches but found I was only really wearing half of them regularly. I started whittling the numbers down and now I'm pretty content with four or five. Rather than go for a particular style of watch (diver, chrono etc) I now think in terms of use. ie. daily wearer, beater, weekend, dress. I find this approach means I buy what suits me rather than trying to compete a collection.

I've also decided no more safe queens :)

I'm a serial watch owner - have bought and sold lots over the years, but never owned more than 2 decent watches at any given time. I like to wear a watch 24/7 and I've found Rolex offer the best models in terms of versatility, comfort and resale - I can wear a sub date for any occasion, but I have a G shock for setting the Rolex, also useful to have an alarm and something I can wear without any worry of damage.
    I still love watches, but genuinely can't imagine owning even a dozen decent watches - aren't they going to waste just sitting in a box not being worn?

Master

I have just been through this process:

I'm a hoarder :lol:

My watch count is down from 7 to 3, staying that way!

Mountain bike/ Road Bike from 6 to 1.

You do feel very cleansed going through the process too!

Master

Frequently and on a cyclical recurring basis - reality is it will never be less than 3 and never more than 6.

Given this, why I give myself so much grief god only knows :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    I'm a serial watch owner - have bought and sold lots over the years, but never owned more than 2 decent watches at any given time. I like to wear a watch 24/7 and I've found Rolex offer the best models in terms of versatility, comfort and resale - I can wear a sub date for any occasion, but I have a G shock for setting the Rolex, also useful to have an alarm and something I can wear without any worry of damage.
    I still love watches, but genuinely can't imagine owning even a dozen decent watches - aren't they going to waste just sitting in a box not being worn?
    Until recently I don't think I'd really understood the serial owning mentality, but I am beginning to come round to it - especially given watches are becoming so expensive and you end up with a large amount of capital tied up. There's no doubt I like the idea of long-term ownership, but equally there's no doubt that after the initial buzz of bagging a new "grail" wears off, you do start to view it as just another part of your collection. I'm not saying I take my watches for granted, but once a target has been bagged, I do start to think about what I want next rather than just enjoying what I have (which is of course the nature of collecting anything).

What you gain with serial ownership is that, once an itch has been scratched, you can recoup a good proportion of your outlay (especially if you bought used) and move onto the next itch.

Given that I also like to wear all my current collection, I do wonder whether it is better to "own or have owned" a large number and variety of watches rather than simply "own" a smaller number.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwatchman
    Quote Originally Posted by 964RS

That's me exactly. :lol:
    My weekly routine!

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    Until recently I don't think I'd really understood the serial owning mentality, but I am beginning to come round to it - especially given watches are becoming so expensive and you end up with a large amount of capital tied up. There's no doubt I like the idea of long-term ownership, but equally there's no doubt that after the initial buzz of bagging a new "grail" wears off, you do start to view it as just another part of your collection. I'm not saying I take my watches for granted, but once a target has been bagged, I do start to think about what I want next rather than just enjoying what I have (which is of course the nature of collecting anything).

What you gain with serial ownership is that, once an itch has been scratched, you can recoup a good proportion of your outlay (especially if you bought used) and move onto the next itch.

Given that I also like to wear all my current collection, I do wonder whether it is better to "own or have owned" a large number and variety of watches rather than simply "own" a smaller number.
    I seem to have gone through lots of watches when they could be bought new for around £1500-£2000, be it Omega speedies and PO's, Panerai, Rolex, various Precistas and Casio's, vintage Subs (when they were £1500!) - plus various Oris, Tissot, Seiko divers and 5's - and I can genuinely say the only one I would really miss would be a sub date, hence I wear my LV every day. Wish I had kept a non-LV but I'm not flipping this one as I've had it 4 years now and I still love it plus the new price I paid now feels like a bargain!
    Saw my brother at the weekend, who is a fair bit richer than me, he had a new Ti Panerai which was lovely but having 'been there, done that' with all the fannying about with straps etc, I genuinely thought 'lucky him finding a great brand to spend money on but glad I did it when they were half the price and a bit of an odd choice'
    I still keep my eye on the forum a fair bit, but now this hobby has doubled in cost, and the choice of watches I haven't tried yet/I like the look of/ don't cost £5k+ has significantly dwindled, I watch from the sidelines contentedly wearing the watch I'm satisfied with. Of course, as a WIS, I can't say it will stay this way forever, but I've felt like this for nearly 3 years now!

I frequently think about ending it all, then some b@st@rd sells me another. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare

It can get a bit silly flipping watches all the time in search of the grail which soon isn't the grail.

Funny how that happens shortly after you take ownership :roll:

I'm certainly going to take a step back from buying and selling for a while as over the last 2 years i've bought and sold a few too many and loosing a few quid on each deal starts to add up.

there is always something better available in your mind than the best watch you own that must be part of the problem.......

Master

I've not been in this for very long, but it's gotten rather expensive. That's not really the issue, as I feel I haven't really overspent.

The issue I have with this hobby is that at least judging by this forum it's pretty much all about searching and then buying. I mean, how I feel, it's not much of a hobby just to wear a watch, even if it's the different one every day of the week.

I'm also into cycling, used to race a lot, and do like nice bikes too. The hobby is so much more than just the nice bikes, it's about riding, the events, riding in foreign countries and all that. It doesn't stop at purchasing the bike and then looking for a new one.