closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Quality Work Shirts

Craftsman

Good Quality Work Shirts

What's your favourite brand of shirt to wear for work under a suit? I normally go for Charles Tyrwhitt as at 4 for £100 they are great value for money. I've also tried Saville Row shirts but found the arms to be too short and they don't last as well.

Craftsman

Re: Good Quality Work Shirts

Bit boring maybe, but I really like Next shirts, great range, good value and seem to last well..

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer999
    What's your favourite brand of shirt to wear for work under a suit? I normally go for Charles Tyrwhitt as at 4 for £100 they are great value for money. I've also tried Saville Row shirts but found the arms to be too short and they don't last as well.
    CT like you or TM Lewin or recently I've been experimenting with online tailoring using Moderntailor.com, which takes a couple of shirts to get the right measurements and quality seems good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzman
    Bit boring maybe, but I really like Next shirts, great range, good value and seem to last well..
    I always used to buy Next slim fit shirts, but the last batch I had from their "collection" range were utter crap. Customer services have been really good though and I should be getting replacements from their new supplier shortly.

That said, the last lot I bought (probably 2005 ish) are still going strong now. I'm really only replacing them because of the odd fray on collar edges ect. They've taken a lot of abuse!

Master

Recently got 5 CT shirts, decent price and fit. Got the non iron slim fit and you can get away without touching them....happy days :D

Master

Poggianti for me. they're a bit expensive, but last really well and are a great fit on me.

TM Lewin for me, perma-sale it seems so never really sure what they cost, but nice material and good fit can be easily found in store

Although they stay looking good, I've worn out the elbows on about 5 of them in last year or so, I think it's driving in them, the elbows seem to rub on the leather arm rests, although cheapo M&S shirts seem to last longer

Craftsman

Another vote for the CT 4 for £100 bargains; does anyone buy them at full price?

regards
    grant

Craftsman

Turnbull & Asser for me ...got a couple of dozen over the last 15 years or so, and only worn out the earliest couple so far

shop in the sales and they have some good offers on

Eton. classic fit, french cuffs, fit me just fine, medium cut away collar.
    pure Swedish loveliness :P

Master

CT & Hewitt & May. I cant wear Next shirts as they are too short in the body and not great quality.

Craftsman

Good Quality Work Shirts

Pink

Thomas Reid

My favourite are Brooks Brothers white buttondowns. Then LLBean. Now about half of mine are Tyrwhitts and half are M&S. Almost all are white buttondowns.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Next are rubbish - far too short in the body - Lewins for me - always have offers.

M&S - it's only work.

Threw them all away a month ago when I retired. Except for two - for funerals.

I get the CT non-iron on the 4 for £100 deal. Good quality for the price.

CT for many years. Lewin not quite as good. Pink actually no better in quality than CT not tried Turnbull and Asser but will in their next sale.

I've bought CT for the last couple of years... just picked up a couple of TM Lewins, so will see how they wear for a few months.

CT for me....I live a few hundred yards from their retail outlet village shop :)

I also like some of Lewin's but their sleeves are half an inch too long....which doesn't sound much until you try them on. They also don't come with nice brass stiffeners like CTs do.

I find that TM Lewins last longer than CT for me - also the long sleeve length fits me better. I wouldnt pay the extra money for a Pink's. Best shirt I ever had was (until I ripped it) a Dunhill.

It really depends on your shape! I don't wear ties so I buy TM Lewins slim fit, 1/2inch too small for my neck, they fit my torso very well. Arm length you can specify so I get that right too. Also they deliver to Aus at a really good price where shirts are a rip off. Too easy!

I don't really care if they don't last years, fashions change, they are cheap enough. I have had tailored shirts and due to me being pretty much the averaged sized man, they are no better fit than my Lewins! (I have a couple of my neck size in case but they fit well anyway). Had Pink, good, but too expensive really. CT I don't like the fit as much and never seem to have patterns I want.

Have tried pretty much all the brands over the years and have settled on Lewin. Good value on the 4 for 100 offer, wash and wear well, good range of patterns, cut away collar and double cuffs.

I rarely wear them with the collar stiffeners in so don't mind the plastic ones over Tyrwhit's brass ones.

Lewins are available in a range of sleeve lengths for whoever made the point above.

Blog Entries

I quite like Austin Reed for work, classic quality shirts, either that or I'm a sucker for an Eton!

For yeras I used M&S made-to-measure. After a recommendation a few months ago on this forum I now use http://www.tailorstore.co.uk for office shirts. Perfect for me as I have an amusing bodyshape (38"chest, 16"neck.... :lol: ). Need to be careful you don't end up looking like a daytime TV presenter though.

Craftsman

CT for me, slim fit non iron and I buy them at Bicester (near my parents house, I don't travel all the way from Munich just for shirts!!) outlet store where you can usaully get 5 for £100 if you are flexible on patterns and colour - bargin.

T

Have covered most of the staples over the years - Lewin, Pink, Austin Reed. Now I tend to buy from Hawes & Curtis and more recently, Hewitt and May - online only I think but they are quite new. Nice quality, sometimes do money-off codes and offers - 3 for 90 or similar. Good small friendly company too. Had to do a return recently and they handled it really well.

Generally Lewins for me but they are a sod to iron. Very impressed with a couple of Next 'City Collection' shirts I bought, they're not cheap though.

Good Quality Work Shirts

I go for Hawes and Curtis, they are reasonably price and the quality is good to ok.

I like Pink but they have become expensive at £90 for a slim fit.On sale they have a few nice styles at £40 for slimfit but most are horrible.I like Charles Tyrwitt and Tm Lewin slimfit .Excellent shirts

Ideally: Ede & Ravenscroft - but only when they have a sale on.

More realistically: Lewins

I now usually buy white shirts. They last longer since they don't show so readily when you've worn the collar points and cuffs

Rgds

Tightwad

Eterna.

The Red Line is a slim fit too if that helps.

Usual 3 shirt offers abound etc etc.

edit: there was an article at styleforum or pistonheads on a similar topic and I bookmarked http://www.hewittandmay.co.uk/ as a result, been meaning to try them. Could be worth a look.

tm lewin
    cant beat the price and quality you get

I'm with Mr. GOAT on this one, Eton shirts for me.

+ 1 for CT.

Really decent quality and brass collar stiffeners.

Glad I saw this thread as I was wondering about this very question. I haven't worn proper shirts for work for over ten years, but I have just changed jobs and its back to suits. I always used to like TM Lewin, but I bought a couple recently and they aren't nearly as nice as they were.

Pink don't fit me properly - the shoulder to collar measurement is all wrong, and Tyrwhitt never feel quite right.

My favourite was always Hilditch & Key, but not cheap and only one shop that I know of, makes them a little inconvenient.

Will try some of the suggestions, thanks.

Master

It's been a very long time since I've worn a suit for work - but when I did, my favourite shirts were Ted Baker Endurance range. Sometimes I miss wearing a tie for work, as have dozens of silk ties which no longer get worn :evil:

Hilditch and Key are my favourite, but only when on offer (they now have a website and a sale on). I do like Pink, but they are a bit expensive. Never got on with Lewins due to the fit and quality. Might try CH as the prices do seem very good. Any views on CH quality vrs Pink?

TA always get great reviews, but very expensive.... Away from "British" shirts I'm also partial to Zegna shirts.

Pink, as in Thomas Pink - hugely overpriced made in China crap sold on a fabricated heritage.

They used to be better than what they are now, at least, but save your money and your time and just don't bother. I checked a few out recently at the outlet in York, and even at outlet price was woefully unimpressed.

TM Lewin I was also singularly unimpressed with, but that was at fitting only (slim fit? slim fit my ar$e) - so can't speak of their quality though they felt pretty flimsy to me. Their John Francomb range was marginally better.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdavies47
    Hilditch and Key are my favourite, but only when on offer (they now have a website and a sale on). I do like Pink, but they are a bit expensive. Never got on with Lewins due to the fit and quality. Might try CH as the prices do seem very good. Any views on CH quality vrs Pink?

TA always get great reviews, but very expensive.... Away from "British" shirts I'm also partial to Zegna shirts.

Bromleys often have discounted H&K shirts and a few others besides - everything Ive bought from them has been excellent. Styles more likely to appeal to the Country Life reader than oglers of FHM, however.

http://www.classicwardrobe.co.uk/Shirts.aspx

Another vote for Eton, and throw away your iron ;)

Blog Entries

I think like everything quality is suffering for the sake of supposed good buys.

TML 3-4 years ago were decent, but quality has suffered as is the length as they cut costs.

I have Hackett shirts which are 6 years old and are twice the length of the shirt companies of today. The same can be said of suits also.

Hawes and Curtis do seem to have a bit of length to them, but at the end of the day there are no real bargains.....you get what you pay for.

Pitch

Master

used to only buy Van Huesen but I think the UK dealer went pop

Eterna are very good bit on the small size :)

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

I prefer CT but have many TMLewin due to price

Austin Reed normally for me... Though I have a few Canali but too nice for work really...

A

Andrew J. Treated with formaldehyde so stains wipe off (really). Virtually non-iron. Only ever seen them at Schiphol Airport though.

Craftsman

Lewin for me

Van Heusen shirts are pretty good, if you can get hold of them nowadays.

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
    Van Heusen shirts are pretty good, if you can get hold of them nowadays.
    My dinner suit shirts are Van Heusen. They must be 15 years old. Very good quality.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Eterna Blackline - for the fuller figure.

The Redline range are too slim fitting for my build.

I have always liked Thomas Pink and all the ones I have were made in the British Isles, but it has been a few years since I had to buy any - which is probably a testament to their quality. I notice now that only their top of the range (£150 and up) are not imported and would be surprised and saddened if the quality of their cheaper ranges is as bad as has been suggested.