closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Insurance Renewal WTF....

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Car Insurance Renewal WTF....

My Insurance is due on our 4 X 4 , Its a Shugun 3.2 DID 7 Seater
    As i have a large tribe :D And live on a hill that never gets gritted :cry:

Im now paying £700 , They rang today with the good news its going to be £1090 :shock:

So my wife went on "Compare The Meerkat" And can get the same cover for £530.

So it looks like i will be telling my insurance company to go anf JUMP :evil:

Rant over :wink:

Anyone else had this happen ??

Dont be shy do share :)

SPEEDY.

Master

Re: Car Insurance Renewal WTF....

My insurers said the average premium was up about 20% this year IIRC. Luckily mine hasn't really gone up (nor down!), but I have had a lot of friends complain about massive hikes. My girlfriend recently renewed and found the same as you, cheaper on Compare and the current insurers weren't bothered about price matching or losing her custom.

Yep, 40-50% jump in premiums on renewal pretty common these days.

You can negotiate them down (Elephant do)..not by much but even shopping around doesn't offer that much better. They've gone up in the whole industry thanks to dishonest and rubbish-driving folk. :evil:

Master
    Blog Entries

Good news here too! £670 up to £911. GET LOST!

Master
    Blog Entries

admiral took last year's figure and added 40% despite no changes.

now insured by Lloyds. Not rocket science is it!?

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Ring them up and get them to price match....might save the rigamarole of switching insurers

I had some good results with the multi-car policies...took my lowst quote from the comparison sites for my car down by another £100 and the wifes down by £150.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by highland
    They're gOing up because of retards who claim for whiplash when they haven't got it, and idiots demanding a like for like hire car

"it's my right.... I want my compensation!!!!!!!"
    Agreed, and those driving without insurance.

Mine went up 15% this year. But it went down last year when I was expecting it to go up, so I'm kinda where I started so it's not too bad.

Master

I usually just send a cheque on/by the renewal date for my multi-vehicle policy but :-

1. They wanted a fortune when I added an Elise to it (2x my 911 premium) and
    2. They all but refused to add my 17 year old lad to the lowest risk car (Honda CRV)

Out of the blue, I got an e-mail from AON through my professional body offering any driver any car for £700

I asked if that meant they would cover my lad for my Lotus for £700 to which the answer was "Yes".

Clearly there's no way he's getting to drive that , but as of last Sunday there are "L" plates on my wife's X3 (now insured by AON)

Also I went Competition Car Insurers (CCI) for the Elise....... half the premium** of the multi-vehicle and includes cover for 6 track days per year

Result! :D

** They needed proof of membership of a Lotus Club and that I'd attended one of Andy Walsh's High Perfrmance courses

Grand Master

Quoted £320 by my current provider for a 2l 4x4 and then reeived a text from confused for £220, a couple of calls and Im in fully comp £210 plus Cinema Tickets (Worth £15!)
    RIAC

Craftsman

They try it on every year my TVR Tuscan jumped from £1200 to £2000!!! A phone call later £900...

Master

Similar experience,i think they are taking advantage of people who don't like to haggle.A bit poor really

It's a blessing really.

If it had come in a fiver cheaper perhaps you'd have done nothing but autorenew.

This way, you're quids in. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathmos
    I had some good results with the multi-car policies...took my lowst quote from the comparison sites for my car down by another £100 and the wifes down by £150.

We've had our 3 cars on a multi-car policy with Admiral. Received the renewal quote the other week and it had leapt up considerably. Wife called and haggled and we now have the cars insured separately for a total less than the multi-car figure. We're still with Admiral.... :?

Work that one out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by village
    Ring them up and get them to price match....might save the rigamarole of switching insurers

I did that, didn't ask outright just pointed out that I'd had quotes for less and cash back from quidco, she goes away and magically knocked off a couple of hundred quid. Or back to the reasonable level of last year as I preferred to look at it.

The strangest thing was (I'm with AA) they had sent the renewal and used a quote from a new company, the one I ended up renewing with was the same as last year. So instead of checking multiple firms and getting the best price they went out of their way and got me a crap one. :|

I changed from eCar to Gladiator this year.
    Renewal was nearly £500, paid £280 for Gladiator.
    I think you have to change companies every year,
    otherwise they rip you off.

Also, worth using multiple comparison sites, you can save more money by using more than one....There should be a comparison site of comparison sites :)

Mine went from £531 to £879 for the privilege of being one year older, one year safer and one MORE year without claiming!! Is it me?

I was £260.60 with Admiral last year, full comp with protected NCD. This years quote from them, £243.19, I'm happy enough with that :)

Quote Originally Posted by highland
    They're gOing up because of retards who claim for whiplash when they haven't got it, and idiots demanding a like for like hire car

"it's my right.... I want my compensation!!!!!!!"
    :lol: You read the Daily Mail, right?

I had the same situation every renewal time until this year (just renewed today).......quote with same company £30 cheaper than last year despite changing the car from a Boxster S to a Carerra C4S......very pleased. :D

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY

Anyone else had this happen ??
    Every bloody year. What amazes me (it doesn't really) is when you get a better quote they suddenly find they can match it with a lower one.

I have a car and two motorbikes every year its the same high quote's then I go on a compare site and always save money, then when I ring my insurance company they try and match what I'v been quoted why don't they just give me the lowest price to start with :evil: :evil:

My admiral multicar renwal was £1,800 this year, compared to £1,200 last year.

My "neighbour" getting a new quote was back to £1,200 and some of the cars were cheaper on individual policies.

One polite but firm call later got me the promise of a call back.

They dropped it to £940.

:shock:

Grand Master

The only way to get a good deal is to shop around yourself; don`t rely on comparison websites. Much as I like the Meercat adds I didn`t find the website helpful.

I`m back with Churchill at the moment; having swapped a Jag X-Type for an XF this year my renewal with Aviva was not competitive. Incredibly, I`ve ended up paying little more than I was on the last car because they gave me a discount for having my home insurance with them :)

Admiral are good if 2 cars are insured on the same policy.

I would try Aviva, Direct Line, Privilege, AA, Churchill. Re. your current renewal, check they haven`t cocked up somewhere and given you loads of 'benefits' you don`t want. Give them a call.......you may find the figures are negotiable.

Good luck,

Paul

Had similar, swapped X6 for 530d estate, they wanted an extra £60 for the remaining 9 months, refund for cancellation was £930, rang BMW insurance, as I could not believe the 5 series was more to insure than the X6, got the 530 insured for 12 months for £890

Craftsman

Had exactly the same, renewal from Budget was 60% higher than the previous year despite having additional no claims and declaring less mileage than the year before. Went through the comparison websites and ended up with Admiral on a multi car policy for £1200 vs £2110 for the combined renewal quote.