closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: U-Boat Watches

Craftsman

U-Boat Watches

- Been looking at one of these today, does anybody have any insight know anything about them?

http://www.uboatwatch.it/zoom.php?img=5 ... d=53&idC=7

Thanks

Pablo

Re: U-Boat Watches

Nicest one i've seen but considered a bit of a fashion brand by a lot of WIS's so don't expect much love from the forum.

Craftsman

Yes just checking second hand prices also..... they drop LOADS of money :(

Quote Originally Posted by Pablonicholls
    Yes just checking second hand prices also..... they drop LOADS of money :(
    Buy second hand and avoid the biggest loss then. If you like it, get one. Popular opinion is over rated. :lol:

Not a forum favourite, but I quite like them myself.

However, TWSteel have rather trashed their image, for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw
    TWSteel have rather trashed their image
    How so?

Very similar 'canteen' styles.

The U-Boat I tried on was much better quality than I expected and had a really good weight and feel to it.

Not so TWSteel.

TWsteel are about a fifth of the price though so that's a harsh comparison. Against Diesel, Breil etc I think they stand up rather well.

Craftsman

I do quite like that one (in 43mm)

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw
    The U-Boat I tried on was much better quality than I expected and had a really good weight and feel to it.

Not so TWSteel.
    Completely agree. I quite like the 43mm Flightdeck BE and looked at one about 18 months ago along with the TWSteels. Was impressed with the U-Boat feel and quality but not with the TWSteels (even considering the price difference). I can't see me paying RRP for one though, there's stuff I prefer more for the money, but if I find one used at the right price I might give it a go.

Master
    Blog Entries

I have handled a lot of the range now. They are big chunky well made divers watches. Completely different in quality than TW Steel.

They have become a popular seller and seem to appeal to guys looking for something different from the usual suspects

Craftsman

As much as i try i just cant like them much like Hublot. Not one watch they make i can say i like the look of.

I guess im not in the miniorty in my thinking hence the big loss in used prices??

Saw quite a few of their newer models at SalonQP this year. Was actually rather impressed with them.

U-Boat by Noodlefish, on Flickr

The rattrapante chrono isn't bad at all, the U-42 crown is rather interesting and and I was quite taken aback by their silver-cased models. There's a lot more to the brand than just oversized Left Hooks.

M

The one in your link is one of the more attractive models, but the brand could never be a serious contender for me.

Plenty of substance, only a little style, not a lot of history, and a crass name - "Oooo, Boat!" sounds like an exclamation a 2 year old would make... and another Oooo, Boat! sunk my Grandads mates brothers sons mates ship :blackeye:
    Gray

Don't think they are anything to get worked up about to be honest. Too big and too expensive as well for me.

regards,
    Nick

I like the look of them, but they are too expensive for what I understand to be another revived brand. I think someone has seen what Panerai have done over the past 10 years and gone ........hmmmmmm?

I would have a Sinn or a TAG over them anytime in that that price bracket.

I didn't like them much until I saw them in the flesh at the Basel fair; I changed my mind. They do have something very appealing about them.

Craftsman

Thanks for the comments.... will maybe go for a second hand.

Rich man's Panerai with a better quality movement.

Didn't Stallone wear the U-boat after getting bored of Pams?

U-Boat Watches

Weren't these a pretty cheap £300 - £500 watch 5 or 6 years ago? They seem to have tried to rebrand themselves but I'm sure they were a cheap and cheerful 'chunky bling' watch that has decided they are now the business. The name U Boat on a watch sounds a bit stupid to me too but maybe I'm alone in this?!

Not my cup of tea......the baddy in the last Bond movie wore one !

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    Weren't these a pretty cheap £300 - £500 watch 5 or 6 years ago? They seem to have tried to rebrand themselves but I'm sure they were a cheap and cheerful 'chunky bling' watch that has decided they are now the business. The name U Boat on a watch sounds a bit stupid to me too but maybe I'm alone in this?!
    the older cheaper versions were quartz watches the new mroe expensive versions are ETA autos.

I quite like them and had one for a while.

Something a bit different but no brand history and oversized style is a big negative for a lot of people.

2nd hand you can just about get your money back.

Craftsman

I quite fancy one, but it's got to 2nd hand.