closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SORTED! - recommend a good Moroccan or Lebanese restaurant?

Banned
    Blog Entries

SORTED! - recommend a good Moroccan or Lebanese restaurant?

I am due an overnight stay in London next week and fancy a meal out at one of the above. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks all.

Re: London - recommend a good Moroccan or Lebanese restaurant?

For Lebanese any of the Maroush restaurants is highly recommended. On their website there is a list of their London locations, but from memory Mayfair, Oxford Circus and Edgware Road were the locations

Edgewear Road has a load of middle eastern restaurants so if you are near that ie the place to go. I have eaten at Maroush on there which was good and one or two others as well.

One of my favourite restaurants would fit the bill.

I've always had great meals at Noura, a Lebanese place.

I've only eaten at Noura Central near Leicester Square, but I gather they have a few other restaurants in London as well.

http://www.noura.co.uk/restaurants/piccadilly.php

Master

Mezza Express on Parkway in Camden has always been a favourite of mine - http://www.mezzaexpress-nw1.co.uk/. I used to go to Sofra in Shepherd Market a fair amount but Mezza Express beats it hands down.

Also try AYA in south wimbledon. They serve good foods.

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG
    One of my favourite restaurants would fit the bill.

I've always had great meals at Noura, a Lebanese place.

I've only eaten at Noura Central near Leicester Square, but I gather they have a few other restaurants in London as well.

http://www.noura.co.uk/restaurants/piccadilly.php
    The Noura in Mayfair was exceptional when I went in Spring 8)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Great food for thought. :wink:

Thanks chaps.

Master

My family are connoisseurs of Lebanese food and know all these restaurants very well. Maroush is not bad. Noura used to be quite good, but has slipped badly. The place mentioned in Camden is one of the worst I've been to, but may have changed ownership since I was last there, so could have improved. The best Lebanese food in London can be found at Al Sultan in Shepherd's Market on the corner of Hertford Street and Curzon Street next to the Curzon Cinema in Mayfair. The decor and atmosphere are nothing special, but the Mezze is unbeatable. My second choice would be Al Waha in Westbourne Grove.

I can't help on Moroccan food. I've never had a truly great Moroccan meal in London.

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    My second choice would be Al Waha in Westbourne Grove.
    When I saw the thread title, I was going to recommend Al Waha. Glad someone got in first.

Try the Fahkreldine in Piccadilly
    The Lamb is excellent :D

I ate at this Lebanese restaurant near Paddington a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...n_England.html

Grand Master

Edgeware road is full of them but are any of them any good or just a bit touristy? Usually the really speciali ones are tucked away
    RIAC

Grand Master

Edgeware road is full of them but are any of them any good or just a bit touristy? Usually the really speciali ones are tucked away
    RIAC

Fairuz in Blandford Street. Not big, not well known, but very good indeed. This is where Fay Maschler goes.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow
    Fairuz in Blandford Street. Not big, not well known, but very good indeed. This is where Fay Maschler goes.
    I'm surprised - my experiences of Fairuz have not been that positive. One or two ok-ish meals in the last 20 years, but most people I know stopped going due to bland and not very fresh tasting food and occasionally appalling service. Lebanese food at its best will positively zing with its vibrancy and freshness.

I haven't been to Fahkreldine since they refurbished it quite some years ago, but it seems to divide opinion. Some tables have a great view.

If you're going for food, I would confidently say you won't find better in the UK than Al Sultan or Al Waha. If the vibe of the place is more important, go for Maroush (Edgware Road or Beauchamp Place branches are probably the best).

If you're on a tight budget the Abu Zaad restaurants are good value (one in Shepherd's Bush and one in Edgware Road). More Syrian than Lebanese and a different sort of atmosphere.

Alternatively you could take a stroll down the Edgware Road from Marble Arch and see what takes your fancy. No guarantees as to food, but plenty of atmosphere, animated conversation and the smell of scented shisha everywhere on the street.

Momo on Heddon St- food is generic and well prepared N African but the atmosphere and setting is fun- pricey though.
    Moro on Exmouth Market- mixture of Spanish and Moroccan, very good fusion. Again pricey.
    If you want something a bit diferent, try Sufi which is a superb little family run Iranian restaurant in Shepherds bush.

Grand Master

London - recommend a good Moroccan or Lebanese restaurant?

I think I might be taking a trip to town before Christmas
    RIAC

I'm surprised that somebody hasn't mentioned Gaby's in Charing Cross Road yet; next to Leicester Sq tube station. Small, very much at the cheaper end of the market and independently owned since 1963. A regular lunch haunt of mine (though I confess that I haven't been for a bit) and very popular amongst the pre-theatre crowd.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I second Momo's but you should consider Turkish too, as the food is very similar to Lebanese.
    Try Kazan restaurant in Victoria (http://kazan-restaurant.com/)

Try Mezze Mangal in New Cross (on borders with Lewisham). It's Turkish but same stuff.

Non-descript from outside and not 'fancy' or anything but superbly cooked food and very tasty, with good atmosphere and family-run ..as well as being cheap. Been going here for 10 years and beats by miles any of the stuff I've had in Central London - Maroush or otherwise...which to me, is generic stuff for the masses of tourists, after club-hours drunkards and people who live off Edgware Road.... made without any love or real taste. :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    I'm surprised that somebody hasn't mentioned Gaby's in Charing Cross Road yet; next to Leicester Sq tube station. Small, very much at the cheaper end of the market and independently owned since 1963. A regular lunch haunt of mine (though I confess that I haven't been for a bit) and very popular amongst the pre-theatre crowd.
    Actually 1965!

Gaby's is a very endearing mix of traditional Jewish and Middle Eastern cuisines and a much loved London institution. Get there quick because unfortunately it won't be around much longer :(

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... t-chain.do

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    Actually 1965!

Gaby's is a very endearing mix of traditional Jewish and Middle Eastern cuisines and a much loved London institution. Get there quick because unfortunately it won't be around much longer :(

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... t-chain.do
    Very sad, Westminster Council at it again. I remember going to Gaby's when I was a student. I will go back next week to show my economic support. I liked this from the comments.

I was hoping Gaby's would become a JD Sports or Carphone Warehouse, but I am resigned to realising that it won't. So, instead, I will settle for a Starbucks (as their coffee is superb). It's incredible how some of their clever baristas can make a single scoop of coffee last all day in the machine. I applaud all councillors who agreed to this brave decision. We need to create an identikit high street everywhere.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Many thanks to all for the invaluable advice. And the winner is.............Al Waha, now booked for the evening.

Great. :D