closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Caribbean 1000 homage?

Caribbean 1000 homage?

Does anyone do a Caribbean 1000 homage? I love those watches but they're getting on a bit, rare as hens teeth and getting expensive. Does anyone do anything similar? A Precista 1000 maybe? :idea: :D

Master

Re: Caribbean 1000 homage?

Really good idea ,liked look of O&W Carribean but mostly old now.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush
    Does anyone do a Caribbean 1000 homage? I love those watches but they're getting on a bit, rare as hens teeth and getting expensive. Does anyone do anything similar? A Precista 1000 maybe? :idea:
    The simple answer is The Jenny family (who made the original Caribbeans) now own Doxa and released a blue dialled version of the Sub called a Caribbean. However, it does not have a monobloc case, triple safe crown etc like the originals. Doxa indicated to me on their forum on WUS back in 2006-2007 that they planned to reissue the monobloc Caribbean. However, no such reissue has been forthcoming as yet.

I don't know of anybody who makes one, I''ve been looking for something similar for about a year, a homage to the 1000 would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord
    Does anyone do a Caribbean 1000 homage? I love those watches but they're getting on a bit, rare as hens teeth and getting expensive. Does anyone do anything similar? A Precista 1000 maybe? :idea:
    The simple answer is The Jenny family (who made the original Caribbeans) now own Doxa and released a blue dialled version of the Sub called a Caribbean. However, it does not have a monobloc case, triple safe crown etc like the originals. Doxa indicated to me on their forum on WUS back in 2006-2007 that they planned to reissue the monobloc Caribbean. However, no such reissue has been forthcoming as yet.
    I've seen the Doxa Caribbean and as far as I'm concerned, it shares the name but that's about it. It's a shame as I really, really like these:

Helson have shown with their Sharkmaster that it is economically possible to produce a diver with a monobloc case in this day and age. Of course, the Seiko MM300 and Heuer Super Professional are relatively recent monobloc divers.

I've seen the Doxa Caribbean and as far as I'm concerned, it shares the name but that's about it. It's a shame as I really, really like these:

Couldn't agree more.

Master

Wasn't there a company who were producing some kind of Doxa hommages (with their own brand)? Don't remember their name...

/Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Denke
    Wasn't there a company who were producing some kind of Doxa hommages (with their own brand)? Don't remember their name...

/Erik
    Irreantum Magellan :?:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denke

/Erik
    Irreantum Magellan :?:
    Yes! That's the one, thanks! :)

Banned

Craftsman

Retrochron watches made a similar looking monocoque case watch.

http://www.retrochron.org/

Retrochron seaserpent

I wish Aquadive or Jenny would make a reissue of the caribbean discosubs.
    Love this style and these are so unique and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkfin

Retrochron seaserpent

Thanks for that link - very interesting range of watches and +1 wish they would bring out a new line of Jenny / Philip Watch / O & W's...

Looks like a good choice to me that does :D

Retrochron seaserpent

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SSK007

Retrochron seaserpent

great diver, if you want 100m wr that is. :wink:

I've been trying to get Dan at OWC to make one. If enough people show interest he may. I don't think he would do monobloc though but the shape would be the same as those.

I did ask Peter Helson but he said you could get one of the vintage ones for the same price he could make a new one for :(

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    Quote Originally Posted by SSK007

Retrochron seaserpent

great diver, if you want 100m wr that is. :wink:
    These watches also have a fixed bezel. I've got the tricompax chronograph under a different name (Lindenberg & Benson or something like that). These watches are not credible Caribbean homages IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura
    I've been trying to get Dan at OWC to make one. If enough people show interest he may. I don't think he would do monobloc though but the shape would be the same as those.

I did ask Peter Helson but he said you could get one of the vintage ones for the same price he could make a new one for :(
    Hi Ventura,

Who is Dan at OWC please?

Hi Ventura,

http://www.orangewatchcompany.com/

If Dan does make a Caribbean homage, I'd be very interested. I've even wondered how hard it would be to do it myself, probably very hard seeing as I'm horologically illiterate.

Hi Ventura,

http://www.orangewatchcompany.com/

If Dan does make a Caribbean homage, I'd be very interested. I've even wondered how hard it would be to do it myself, probably very hard seeing as I'm horologically illiterate.
    I would be interested too. However, what I think is most likely is that Jenny themselves will reissue the Caribbean. Doxa's Rick Marei was involved in the resurrection of Aquadive and has hinted that other names may be similarly brought back. Therefore, it is possible that plans are afoot to bring back the Caribbean. However, that is merely hopeful speculation on my part. :wink:

Don't tease me Dave, it's cruel.

:D

But what are the chances of Doxa reissuing a 702 model Caribbean 1000? My guess is at best it will be akin to BMW's version of the Austin Mini. Updated and all blinged up. :pukeleft:

Don't tease me Dave, it's cruel.

:D

But what are the chances of Doxa reissuing a 702 model Caribbean 1000? My guess is at best it will be akin to BMW's version of the Austin Mini. Updated and all blinged up. :pukeleft:
    It is hard to predict what they would do really. When Doxa brought out the Sub 300T reissue, they took a bit of a kicking for updating the design and most of the Subs since then have been faithfully retro. However, some people like the 300T reissue because it is an updated watch and not simply a copy of the original. I suppose that you can't please all the people all of the time.

I think that the plethora of different types of vintage Caribbean with various case designs, dials and bezels lends itself to the Jenny family way of releasing similar, but subtly different limited edition reissue runs ( Doxa 600T, 750T, 800T, 1000T, 1200T etc). I would like to see all of the Caribbean case styles reissued, although the 702 would be the obvious starting point.

I'm currently considering doing this but if it's 1000 metres, it would be 17mm thick but at 1000 feet, it could be 12mm.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I'd be all over a faithful rendition of those Carribeans. I'd wager 500m would be plenty enough for most of us.

Crepas did the Cayman in a 44 mm case, which is awful compared to the original. Even Doxa dropped the ball with the 42 mm Jenny re-edition, nowhere near as nice as the great proportions of the vintage pieces.

A blue sunburst dial would look amazing on a nice BOR bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'm currently considering doing this but if it's 1000 metres, it would be 17mm thick but at 1000 feet, it could be 12mm.

Eddie
    I'd definitely want one, even more so if you have a "no date" version. 1000ft does make better proportions, totally fine with me.

I like the look of that, no date would be favourable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Stunning watches that would make a great homage.

Personally I'd prefer it with a date, as per the original.

Dave

I'd be very interested in one too Eddie. Date would be a must though.

I've wanted one of these for years but price and fears over conditio/ parts has put me off, so if you made one the same size as the vintage pieces I'd be pressing f5 like mad on release day.

Don't care about date and open to any colour.....

Eddie
    As close as you can to that model would be a winner imho. 42mm case to keep the proportions nice. Love everything about that watch.......

It would be a winner for me too. Love a faithful (if pragmatic) reincarnation of a classic.

Blog Entries
    Go for it Eddie.... that would be class!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    As close as you can to that model would be a winner imho. 42mm case to keep the proportions nice. Love everything about that watch.......
    Just getting a vote in for 38/40mm as I understand the originals were.

Journeyman
    I’d be interested in one.

I hope you don't replicate the weird lugs that angle out on the inside
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post
    Just getting a vote in for 38/40mm as I understand the originals were.
    Yes, yes, yes! Keep the diameter down to 40mm max and height below 12mm.

Eddie
    Eddie,

I think that 1000ft depth rating would be just fine. If someone wants a 1000m Caribbean, they can always buy a vintage example. There are loads out there.

I totally agree, 1000 ft, 300m or so, is perfectly fine for everyone.
    The problem with some of the current re-creations (Crepas Cayman for instance which is actually 3000m) is that they are very thick, 17mm without the dome of the crystal.
    Dave

I keep coming back to the image of that watch - it really is stunning. Nothing I have seen recently has 'hooked' me quite like that, may have to investigate if a modded Seiko can get close enough to satisfy the itch!

That snazzy bezel is going to be difficult to track down.
    Last edited by Tim63; 27th September 2018 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    Eddie,

I think that 1000ft depth rating would be just fine. If someone wants a 1000m Caribbean, they can always buy a vintage example. There are loads out there.
    I'm not sure there are loads out there. They don't seem to appear on the market that often, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

While I agree that 1000ft is fine, there are a few things that made the Caribbean 1000 historically significant and therefore special (at least to me). These were arguably the monoblock case and the 5mm thick domed crystal which made the 1000m depth rating possible. Not to mention the fact that the 702 version just looks so darn good. If Eddie makes one that looks the part I'll buy one without hesitation and I'll be over the moon with 1000ft non-monoblock if that's what it takes to make the project viable, but I will admit to holding out just a little bit of hope for a faithful (ish) reproduction. I guess we will have to wait and see what Eddie has in mind.

Craftsman
    Zoretto Jota is what I got to scratch my O&W Caribbean 1000 itch.

Pretty happy. Wearing it mostly on the leather as the BOR bracelet is too substantial for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I'm not sure there are loads out there. They don't seem to appear on the market that often, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
    There might have been when he posted that