closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Clock Radio recommendations

Clock Radio recommendations

My existing clock radio has started to buzz at an annoyingly loud volume just recently and by that I mean it's loud enough to be annoying when I'm trying to sleep, so not very loud at all really. It's therefore time for a new one.

I have only two firm criteria and they are that it must be loud and must get to its loudest volume gradually, i.e. start quietly, and that it also must have a traditional rotary volume dial with infinite adjustments. Those that have 15 steps seems always to be just too loud or too quiet.

Other criteria that would be nice include

1. the ability to fall asleep to quiet radio and wake to a loud buzzer or radio, i.e. be able to set the volume of the alarm differently to that of the radio during sleep.
    2. an easy way to not have the alarm ring, e.g. the alarm is set to go off at 7am, but I get up at 6:30am. With minimal hassle, ideally one key-press, I'd like for the alarm not to go off today at 7am but still be set to go off tomorrow at 7am. My current clock does this and it's very useful.

That's about it really.

Edited to add second must have criteria.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Craftsman

Re: Clock Radio recommendations

Hi,
    I have a Vita Audio R1( http://www.vitaaudio.com/products/r1) in the bedroom, not cheap but fantastic DAB radio which produces a superb sound. You can set the alarm for a totally different volume to the one playing, it can be set for weeks, days or weekdays and comes on quietly getting louder to the set volume. It can also come on at a different station to the one you were listening to. The only criteria it misses is you have to push the button twice to cancel an alarm that is set!!!! (no great shakes) All in all I don't think you will get a better radio if you can stomach the price. (I also have an R2i in the kitchen which has all of the above plus an iPod dock and remote)

Quote Originally Posted by t955daytona
    Hi,
    I have a Vita Audio R1( http://www.vitaaudio.com/products/r1) in the bedroom, not cheap but fantastic DAB radio which produces a superb sound. You can set the alarm for a totally different volume to the one playing, it can be set for weeks, days or weekdays and comes on quietly getting louder to the set volume. It can also come on at a different station to the one you were listening to. The only criteria it misses is you have to push the button twice to cancel an alarm that is set!!!! (no great shakes) All in all I don't think you will get a better radio if you can stomach the price. (I also have an R2i in the kitchen which has all of the above plus an iPod dock and remote)
    That does look very nice.

There was one additional must have that I forgot to mention and that is that it must have a traditional rotary volume dial with infinite adjustments. Those that have 15 steps seems always to be just too loud or too quiet.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

That Vita does look smart.
    I have a Roberts, not expensive and it shows, sadly. They used to be the best. One feature I do like is that it wakes you gently with a ramping up of the radio or buzzer volume. I do hate being scared awake!

I have the Vita R1 too. Excellent quality and a recent What HiFi award winner.

Rod

Craftsman

I have a Pure Evoke which is excellent.

I have had a Bose wave radio for years, can't fault it

I can't really suggest an exact model, but the ones which project on the roof are brilliant! I used to find it would properly wake me up rolling over to check the time. Now I quickly glance while only half awake.

Teac SR2 or SR3, going cheap on eBay right now. I got the SP3 a couple of weeks ago and you can set the alarm volume independently of your listening volume. iPod/iPhone dock, CD/MP3, DAB and FM.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    +1 - covers requirement 1 but not 2.

z

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    Neither can I - we have several of them - but the OP requires a rotary volume.

(Ooops, zelig beat me to it!)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-XDRC706DBP-Digital-Clock-Radio/dp/B004SHR144/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323291965&s r=1-14

Works for me
    Got the same for a while. It works ok.