closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broadarrows back on parade

Broadarrows back on parade

Two old soldiers just back from repair at Zeno.

There have been a few strong candidates since, but for me the original PRS-3 is the quintessential Timefactors watch.

Re: Broadarrows back on parade

What was wrong with them? I thought they were indestructible :?

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    What was wrong with them? I thought they were indestructible :?

Rod
    Both had crown problems; the PRS-3 had had a bang and the PRS-11 was just stripped.

Great service from Zeno and a decent price.

Journeyman

I really love these watches and keep waiting to hear some kind of news about Eddie's reissue.

I wonder if stripped threads are the biggest part of their repair work - I've returned a Zex to them myself with stripped threads.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim:
    I wonder if stripped threads are the biggest part of their repair work - I've returned a Zex to them myself with stripped threads.

Jim
    I don't know if it's currently the case but Zeno stopped making any watches with screw down crowns because of the number of returns they got with stripped threads. I'm not saying this was Zeno's fault because I believe much of the problem was down to the customers.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Indeed, I bought my Zex used, and in fantastic condition, but with only about half a turn left.

My PRS 14 was the same, and in both cases the damage was already done, it was just a question of time.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim:
    Indeed, I bought my Zex used, and in fantastic condition, but with only about half a turn left.

My PRS 14 was the same, and in both cases the damage was already done, it was just a question of time.

Jim
    Screwed crowns should just sit on the rubber and not screwed to death.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    Two old soldiers just back from repair at Zeno.

There have been a few strong candidates since, but for me the original PRS-3 is the quintessential Timefactors watch.
    I heartily agree. My black PVD PRS-3 (Eddie called it the PRS-4) is still going strong and gets a lot of wrist time - I am wearing it as I write this. Not a lot of wear visible on the PVD either in spite of a fair bit of rough use (ballooning, yard work). But the Zeno invoice mentioned Broadarrow Autos, so were these actually PRS-11s (auto movements) and not PRS-3s (lithium quartz) that you sent to Zeno ?

I suppose that screwed crowns can be a pain, maintenance-wise. And not totally neccessary either. I have an old but still serviceable Edox Delfin manual-wind tool watch dating from the early 1970s which has a waterproof rating of 200 metres due to multiply redundant seals around its non-screwed crown. During the decade after I bought it as a teenager I used to swim with it a lot, wore it through military service including basic training, etc. - basically wore it 24/7, winding it every morning on the wrist. I did not treat it kindly and it was serviced only once in 35 years. It still works and is watertight, too.

:D Lovely things, I'm really pleased with the PRS11 I managed to get.

I have the current PRS3 in orange and whilst its certainly better made the old one is nicer for its smaller size.

Master
    Blog Entries

My wife would probably agree, given that she is wearing it right now. The local watch shop proprietor [member of the BHI no less] changed the battery recently and my wife, who was waiting, commented on how long it was taking - turns out he was very impressed with it and was going through his books looking for information on it, and lost track of time [ :roll: :lol: ]

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones

My wife would probably agree, given that she is wearing it right now. The local watch shop proprietor [member of the BHI no less] changed the battery recently and my wife, who was waiting, commented on how long it was taking - turns out he was very impressed with it and was going through his books looking for information on it, and lost track of time [ :roll: :lol: ]
    I've come to the conclusion that the Broadarrow PRS-3 and one other watch is all I need. Choosing between: the Nomos Orion. The Rolex Explorer and the Rolex GMT II is the tough bit.

Master
    Blog Entries

I've come to the conclusion that the Broadarrow PRS-3 and one other watch is all I need. Choosing between: the Nomos Orion. The Rolex Explorer and the Rolex GMT II is the tough bit.
    Allow me to help :) My primary watch is Omega SeMP GMT [which I replaced my GMT II with - the Rolex underwhelmed me]. I bought the PRS-3 to be my 'rough use' vesion of it [wall climbing, gym etc] My wife liberated it from me so was replaced with a G-Shock.

If my wife hadn't relieved me of it, my PRS-3 and the Omega would be the 2 watches I need. All the rest I primarily keep for sentimental value.