closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,250 of 4429

Thread: The random disclosure thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    In Switzerland we take great care not to eat Müsli at breakfast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
    Then why do "SWISS" (the airline) seem to serve it at breakfast and all of the following diurnal meals as a starter or pudding? Not just on the aircraft, but in the lounges too. My info may be out-of-date. I haven't used them for about three years since the shocking food debacle!

felt the need to add a smiling thingie to mitigate against any offence.
    Müsli is Swiss German for a little mouse. You'll get muesli everywhere though

Müsli is Swiss German for a little mouse. You'll get muesli everywhere though
    The proper Swiss spelling is Müesli. In Germany and Austria it's just Müsli.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The proper Swiss spelling is Müesli. In Germany and Austria it's just Müsli.
    One of the very few things that I learnt when living in Switzerland. My feeble excuse is that I wasn't getting a lot of sleep at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    One of the very few things that I learnt when living in Switzerland. My feeble excuse is that I wasn't getting a lot of sleep at the time.
    How is your Schweizerdeutsch? I've always likened it to German spoken with a West Country accent.

This sums it up nicely:

The comedian Marie Therese Porchet has a few very amusing sketches about German Swiss, but in French...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I almost mixed up a Turk in Italy with an Italian girl in Algiers earlier. Phew!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I almost mixed up a Turk in Italy with an Italian girl in Algiers earlier. Phew!
    This wouldn't happen if you'd alphabetise your CD collection.

This wouldn't happen if you'd alphabetise your CD collection.
    What makes you think I haven't?

Proper random disclosure:

The top ten global Google searches are:
    1. How to tie a tie
    2. How to kiss
    3. How to get pregnant
    4. How to lose weight
    5. How to draw
    6. How to make money
    7. How to make pancakes
    8. How to write a cover letter
    9. How to make french toast
    10. Date or ND Sub

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 23:25.

Blog Entries
    What makes you think I haven't?
    Because I is separated from L by J
    Last edited by seffrican; 7th September 2017 at 10:00.

Master
    Turns out three of my new hens lay blue eggs. Cool!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thorntons chocolate caramel wafer rolls are going to be my undoing this evening.

I detested Marmite until the age of 30... And now I rather like it!

^ It's a marmite taste.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Clearing out dad's garage today. I threw away a tappet adjuster I didn't know he had. He and I rebuilt his Ford Anglia ('59 model) and then his Zephyr 6. No idea when or why he bought it: it was newer than anything he'd tackled since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Clearing out dad's garage today. I threw away a tappet adjuster I didn't know he had. He and I rebuilt his Ford Anglia ('59 model) and then his Zephyr 6. No idea when or why he bought it: it was newer than anything he'd tackled since then.
    59 Ford Anglia would be a 100E with 1172cc sidevalve engine complete with 3 speed gearbox and vacuum assisted windscreen wipers. I had a 59 Ford Popular (2 door) the other variants would be the Prefect and the Ford Thames van 300E.

I loved that old car and it stayed in the family for nearly 40 years.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Not the 100E, the one before. Maybe I got the date wrong. It was a very, very long time ago! 1100cc side valve which I helped dismantle, refurbish and restore when I was nine. I remember lapping the valves and so on. I also threw away an electric drill lapping attachment. Too old to be of use. The lapping I did was a stick with a sucker on the end.
    Not long before dad sold it:
    Last edited by Glamdring; 8th September 2017 at 22:58.

Master
    Took my dog to the vet this morning to have his annual boosters to protect the wee man against nasty viruses. First one was an injection between his shoulder blades. No trouble at all. The second one was to be squirted inside his nostril. The poor lad was absolutely terrified. I had him pinned down in a corner of the consultation room with a nurse holding his head. In fact he was so terrified he emptied his anal glands. All over me. When we repeat the exercise this time next year he'll need a sedative beforehand.

Anyway, on the tram ride back home I was gagging at the feral, musky scent of his anal glands deposited all over my clobber. I am dog.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 23:25.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
    The required paperwork will take 90 to 120 minutes or so before she comes home.
    Paperwork that takes this long always seems to me to be a problem in its own right.

I used to be required by my employer to fill in a timesheet. I always made sure to record the not-insubstantial timesheet-filling time on the timesheet.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 23:26.

Stingy people are cheap not only in money but in feelings too
    Stay away

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Stingy people are cheap not only in money but in feelings too
    Stay away
    So true. Mean people who abhor paying their way in life are generally mean-spirited too. It's an unpleasant personality trait.

I/we haven't cooked Panang curry for a good few years, have no idea why, I bought the paste a few weeks back thinking it may come handy on some rainy day like it was yesterday. It happened to be beef this time, an what a joy it was - supplemented with fresh sweet basil, kafir leaves, lemon grass, (a lot of) chillies and ginger - delish. We are having seconds this afternoon, it should taste even better today
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I/we haven't cooked Panang curry for a good few years, have no idea why, I bought the paste a few weeks back thinking it may come handy on some rainy day like it was yesterday. It happened to be beef this time, an what a joy it was - supplemented with fresh sweet basil, kafir leaves, lemon grass, (a lot of) chillies and ginger - delish. We are having seconds this afternoon, it should taste even better today
    Mmmm

Soon she will have more watches than daddy.

(There is at least one missing from this picture)
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Finally starting to clear out dad's house. Having discovered that the clearance guys not only got to keep everything, they'd charge for the privilege of clearing, we decided to sod them and do it ourselves. Salvation Army in to take what they wanted, which was a reasonable amount but far from it all.
    Books. He and mum had a lot of books. Nobody wants them any more. There are quite a few Folio Society books and it seems such a shame to throw them in the skip we've hired. We can't be bothered with eBay, the effort for making a couple of squid a book but even so. A real shame. There were some rather nice travel books I kept, including A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush, which I loaned them thirty years ago. Brilliant travelogue in the old style, and a journey you simply can't make these days.
    Further dismantling of his life. Sad.

Finally starting to clear out dad's house. Having discovered that the clearance guys not only got to keep everything, they'd charge for the privilege of clearing, we decided to sod them and do it ourselves. Salvation Army in to take what they wanted, which was a reasonable amount but far from it all.
    Books. He and mum had a lot of books. Nobody wants them any more. There are quite a few Folio Society books and it seems such a shame to throw them in the skip we've hired. We can't be bothered with eBay, the effort for making a couple of squid a book but even so. A real shame. There were some rather nice travel books I kept, including A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush, which I loaned them thirty years ago. Brilliant travelogue in the old style, and a journey you simply can't make these days.
    Tough time, thoughts are with you. I enjoy those old travel books as well, a reminder of an era when exploring the globe involved a completely different way of going about things. I hope that they bring back pleasant memories and that you find a suitable recipient for the ones that you don't wish to keep.

The boy starts big school next September and the decision process about where to live and where to send him is nearly breaking us.

The school we want him to go to is in an area we don't want to live.

The school in the area we want to live is the last school we want to send him to.

We are now talking about moving to the other side of the city, which is a massive headache.

As Pete Towshend wrote – circles, my head is going round in circles

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The boy starts big school next September and the decision process about where to live and where to send him is nearly breaking us.

The school we want him to go to is in an area we don't want to live.

The school in the area we want to live is the last school we want to send him to.

We are now talking about moving to the other side of the city, which is a massive headache.

As Pete Towshend wrote – circles, my head is going round in circles
    Totally understand as we're going through the same! It's a minefield. We don't want to move as our area has excellent transport links and lots of ongoing development. I know friends who have moved out of the house they own and renting a small flat to live in until the child finishes the secondary school of their choice. Wish we were this dedicated but we like our space and can't bring ourselves to endure hellish commutes everyday.

Heartbreaking but have to be done.. Have you thought donating books to a local charity? I quite often pick up a book or two from our local charity shops, and so many other people I've noticed. At least you'll give it a chance..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Heartbreaking but have to be done.. Have you thought donating books to a local charity? I quite often pick up a book or two from our local charity shops, and so many other people I've noticed. At least you'll give it a chance..
    Good idea. It would save skipping books (which I find a horrific idea!).

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

I can't find anyone who wants books. Everyone so far has refused them.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 22nd September 2017 at 09:39.

including A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush, which I loaned them thirty years ago. Brilliant travelogue in the old style, and a journey you simply can't make these days.
    I'm ashamed to say that I only read this recently despite having read much else of what Newby has written; it's a fantastic book and I'm currently closing another Newby gap with Round Ireland in Low Gear.

We have one of these locally

And there's always a queue to get into it (the photo is misleading as it's normally full of books. A friend had a pile of rather technical manuals which he was going to throw into the rubbish but even they had gone by the next day. I too hate the idea of throwing books away.

Is there any value in grouping them together by theme and listing them here?
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 22nd September 2017 at 16:23. Reason: hate not gate

Blog Entries
    I can't find anyone who wants books. Everyone so far has refused them.
    :-(

Have you tried Freecycle/Freegle? It's has a small chance of success but it's worth a try at no cost.

Blog Entries
    We have one of these locally
    What a lovely idea.

Regrettably round here, that would be something for Hampstead Garden Suburb, not Cricklewood.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What a lovely idea.

Regrettably round here, that would be something for Hampstead Garden Suburb, not Cricklewood.
    It works quite well.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B...9Fenbibliothek
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ It's a very nice idea indeed. I just think it requires the right social setting for it to work well.

Master
    ^^^ It's a very nice idea indeed. I just think it requires the right social setting for it to work well.
    What are you trying to say? ;-)

Not the 100E, the one before. Maybe I got the date wrong. It was a very, very long time ago! 1100cc side valve which I helped dismantle, refurbish and restore when I was nine. I remember lapping the valves and so on. I also threw away an electric drill lapping attachment. Too old to be of use. The lapping I did was a stick with a sucker on the end.
    Not long before dad sold it:

The one before was the E93 " Sit up and Beg" Popular. The one in the Photo looks like a 100E Prefect - the posh one.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    What are you trying to say? ;-)
    Some neighbourhoods are 'kinder' (as one might put it) to shared resources than others. ;-)

Blog Entries
    A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush
    Best ending ever!

Master
    Some neighbourhoods are 'kinder' (as one might put it) to shared resources than others. ;-)
    I know :) I was just teasing, pretending you were applying it to the whole country ;)

Great idea by the way

Blog Entries
    I have been coding in C# 6. Now I'd like to use a local function, which is only available in C# 7. I am mildly vexed.

Master
    I have been coding in C# 6. Now I'd like to use a local function, which is only available in C# 7. I am mildly vexed.
    Just write it yourself! Sorry not helpful I know. But lucky you ... I don't get to code at all these days, haven't done anything after 5.0 and even that was just to prove to myself I could still do it :(

Blog Entries
    Truth be told, this is just an inconsequential program for my own pleasure. There are a dozen other things I should be doing but I was in the mood.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Feeling rather old tonight; the Mrs has decided we need an allotment in our life.

Earlier today, I wandered into a large DIY store, mainly to get out of the rain.

I ended up purchasing 2 lots of rubble sacks, a packet of 1000 cable ties in various sizes & 2 replacement ropes for rotary driers. They were all reduced in price.

I needed none of them.

Hopeless, just hopeless!
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuttington View Post
    Feeling rather old tonight; the Mrs has decided we need an allotment in our life.
    You'll be feeling older after your first day double digging a sweetpea bed...