closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DREDD 3D movie

DREDD 3D movie

I dunno about you guys but I loved Dredd as a kid and hated the Stallone version but this looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY

And some proper comic book violence too hope the links work

http://www.screenslam.com/blog/slow-...red-band-clip/

I YAM THE LAWW

Banned
    Yep, looks good. As soon as I saw Sly without a helmet on in the original, I knew it'd be carp.

Banned
    I saw the trailer for this a few weeks ago, I thought it look every bit as bad as the Stallone effort. I'm more hopeful that the Total Recall remake will be good, but I'm not holding my breath, as I can't see Colin Farrell delivering classic lines such as "consider dat a divorce" very well.

Master
    Interesting that Carlos Ezquerra is involved as a writer, the artist that created Dredd visually but got a bit shafted when the first Dredd strip was drawn by someone else. That gives it some promise as he was there at dredd's creation but we'll see I guess, inclusion of Anderson is a good shout IMO, some of the best strips were dredd/anderson combos.

When I was young I used to read Starlord when it first came out and then it merged with 2000AD (and Tornado I think) so for the next 5-6 years I used to read 2000AD. There were some great stories and characters but I guess Judge Dredd was the best overall. I remember the Cursed Earth, Caligula, Judge Child etc. I always thought of Dredd as being a bit like the Dark Knight version of Batman. I didn't mind the Stallone film but it wasn't anything like the magazine version. I guess there has to be a compromise between sticking completely to the original character and having some artistic licence. After all, most people will not have read the old stories (btw - does anyone know if Brian Bolland drew JD?)

I hope the film is good...it looks kind of ok, but I have a bad feeling it might be a bit of a let down for hardcore (comic book) Dredd fans.

Blog Entries

DREDD 3D movie

I'll watch it - but my suspicion is that the trailer is pretty much all the good bits.
    I loved Rogue Trooper from 2000AD - that could be a great movie.

z

Master
    Brian Bolland, wow, as a kid this gatefold by him just blew me away:

Was hoping the dark judges would make an appearance in the new film

I was in Forbidden Planet, they are celebrating their 30th birthday with a reprint of Brian Bolland's advert, some nice signed canvas ones in there, looked really good:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I'll watch it - but my suspicion is that the trailer is pretty much all the good bits.
    I loved Rogue Trooper from 2000AD - that could be a great movie.

z

Yeah, i used to love reading Rogue Trooper as well, not sure it would make a good movie without having to change it up a bit from the comics, not read the graphic novels so not sure if there's a story in there that would work.

As for Dredd, the new one will follow the comic world more, it's going to be more reboot from Hollywood, so i'd say as long as they do well with the first, and people have the right expectation, it could gain momentum for a couple more which would bring in more of the comic universe.

Craftsman
    I read 2000AD from prog 2 until my mid 20's (about 1992)

I felt so disappointed with the Stallone effort. Whilst MC1 visually was a good rendering, it wasn't gritty enough and Stallone taking the helmet off was sacrilege.

In this reboot Urban retains the helmet throughout the whole film. MC1 is not the same but in a way a more believable future city from the trailer.

It looks like a gore fest. Bring it on. Roll on September

Master
    2000ad was just amazing, great writers, great artists, so many cool stories, Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Nemesis, The VCs, Halo Jones, ABC Warriors, Zenith, Strontium Dog, all worthy of a film IMO

Banned
    terminator 3 and dredd no more please give me a good zombi film any day

Ah, Strontium Dog was a fav of mine (and from StarLord if I remember correctly) and also Ro-Busters. So many good stories.

That pic with the Bolland artwork reminds me of just how good he was.

Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    2000ad was just amazing, great writers, great artists, so many cool stories, Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Nemesis, The VCs, Halo Jones, ABC Warriors, Zenith, Strontium Dog, all worthy of a film IMO

Looks like fun. Dredd is one off my favourite comic book characters. Nowadays the best writers are British.