closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie's Latest (PRS 25) Has Arrived!

Master

Eddie's Latest (PRS 25) Has Arrived!

Eddies latest model the (PRS 25) has arrived and I am glad to say that it lives up to expectation and then goes a bit further!

Fullsome praise goes to Mr Platts for this one, unbeatable value for money and a model of understated elegance.

Re: Eddie's Latest Has Arrived!

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, and i can't wait 8)

whats it like on the wrist simon?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Is there a (crystal) retaining ring behind the minute track?

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

It really does look cracking. Looking forward to more pics of this one. Great VFM as well, now I'm thinking of getting one, blast it :)

Blog Entries

First post on the forum from an owner.

Congrats, lovely piece!

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

double refraction around the 3 on the crystal. thats mental.

Very nice i need one!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    whats it like on the wrist simon?
    It's a step change from anything I own and seems to wear smaller than I had imagined it would. The bracelet is a quality piece with half-link adaptors and screw pins (I had to dig out my copy of Roger's Profanisaurus to get some variation into my vocabulary during the sizing but once done it feels very secure). Very nice weight, very legible and the subtle "Everest" in a perfect sans-serif font is fantastic when it catches the light.

I think that this is a very nice addition to the Time Factors range, a great way to see the Smiths name out there again and at the price, it's the best value I have put on my wrist in an age.

Here's a side-by-side with a Speedbird III to give an idea of relative dimensions.

Aargh.

Must Resist

MUST RESIST!

Master

A great photo of a great looking watch. Not usually my sort of thing but I'm very tempted, especially at the bargain price.

Grand Master

Not seen this before.......reminds me of something beginning with R that's on my wrist at the moment :wink:

Paul

Great looking watch, but the giant Smiths logo really lets down the overall impression.

Great photos I am desperate for mine to arrive now :bounce:

Seems very well made and extremely good VFM. I've just been paid, but it's too close to Christmas :(

Craftsman

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

So nice!

Can't wait! :)

Andreas

Congrats. One minor comment: does anyone else think the seconds hand on the Everest is a little too short when compared to the Speedbird?

Probably a curvature of the crystal.

broussard - you cant compare like with like in this case imho as they are two completely different handsets. re the sb, there was a lot of noise about the stumpy cut-off hour hand from people looking at the pics - but getting the watch in my hands it was a complete non issue for me.
    regarding the new smiths, im no fan of mercedes hands but i do like 'lollipop' seconds . so from that point of view, the seconds hand is the last thing that is going to put me off.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Congrats. One minor comment: does anyone else think the seconds hand on the Everest is a little too short when compared to the Speedbird?
    Arguably the minute and hour hands could also be a bit longer but it would be a matter of personal choice, with it sitting on my wrist at the moment it is very legible. What is beyond any doubt for me is that as a whole package it is fantastic value and I am delighted with it. I'm going to send a couple of pics to the mate of mine who ordered one on the strengths of my recommendation and Eddie's photos - I'll see what he thinks. In the meantime here is some subtle product placement for Nikon...

Good pics there. Do you have a Nato and/or leather you can pop it on for a couple of pics please? If I get one of these the bracelet will be straight off it.
    F.T.F.A.

I am not comparing handsets. I had (wrongly perhaps) assumed that the outer track was for seconds - and therefore expected the hand to reach that track in order to be of use.

The "mercedes" hands are what they are (although the hour hand is oddly reminiscent of the PRS29 to be honest).

I had completely missed the EVEREST on the dial until I saw your poictures
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

My Everest arrived an hour ago. I took some unboxing photos then spent 20 minutes adjusting the bracelet. Once I'd got that just right I took some more photos of the watch on my wrist with a final comparison with my PAM112.

First impressions are excellent. The watch has a solid feel and the profile is beautiful. I love acrylic crystals and this is lovely. I was a little unsure over the length of the hands but don't feel it's an issue in the flesh. The watch sits really well on my 6.75" wrist. This is helped by the excellent bracelet which has loads of adjustment in it, more than any bracelet I've come across. I settled on removing two full links and one half link the moved the micro adjuster in two notches to get the most comfortable feel. This gives me a little play if my wrist expands. It is definitely worth taking your time adjusting the bracelet. Be warned though, you will need two jewellers screwdrivers to do it. You'll also need to take your time.

The watch winds nicely and the crown is easy to unscrew. It hacks as you would expect. When you listen closeup you can hear the movement winding as well as how fast it beats.

I'm not sure I can think of a watch that offers better value for money at the moment. I'm going to wear it today then unfortunately will have to put it away for Christmas.

Enough from me, here are the photos you've been waiting for.

Master

There's a wristshot in the "can't wait" thread in the Timefactors sub-section of the forum and from the angle that is taken the seconds hand appears to extend further than on the shot here, so the domed crystal may be a factor - either way, looks lovely to me.

Edit - the rather fine pictures just posted above make this post somewhat superfluous - other than my last four words :)

Phil's pic shows the second hand further out, so it must be the crystal making it look shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura
    Phil's pic shows the second hand further out, so it must be the crystal making it look shorter.
    From head on, the second hand just scrapes the markers.

Grand Master

Yes, I think it is. I think all the hands are a little short....a comment that was made about the latest Rolex Explorer 1 version when it launched last year.

What are the dimensions on this one?

Paul

Master

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Good pics there. Do you have a Nato and/or leather you can pop it on for a couple of pics please? If I get one of these the bracelet will be straight off it.
    I'm going to try a couple of other strap combinations later, probably a leather and a GGB. When I do, I'll pop some pics up!

Phil has written very well about the overall feel of this watch and the hacking seconds feature is important to me.

Does the crown sit flush tot he case or ids there a little gap when screwed down fully like the Kingston?

The crown sits flush to the case.

I posted in the 'Can't wait' thread, but I'll post it here too -

Wrist = 7.25"

Master

One last attempt before lunch; getting the angle to simultaneously minimize distortion from the crystal, pick out the detail of the Everest logo and cut down reflections is proving a mite tricky...

I'm looking forward to seeing one or more of these next week at the Devon 'do'.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    One last attempt before lunch; getting the angle to simultaneously minimize distortion from the crystal, pick out the detail of the Everest logo and cut down reflections is proving a mite tricky...
    Just cheat. Build up a composite. I'm sure no one will notice! ;)

Any lume shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee

Interesting comparison shot with a 44mm Pam - they're a similar size. :shock:

Your wrist shots also confirm the Everest to be a fairly large watch, not a slight increase in size over a 1016 I was expecting.

Good review however and honest photos.

Thanks

One thing I hadn't realised in advance of receiving it - the sides of the case carry a subtle curve, rather than the straight (and arguably 'slab-sided') cases of most affordable watches.

Nice... I like that. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    Just cheat. Build up a composite. I'm sure no one will notice! ;)
    Leave it to the professionals ;)

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    Interesting comparison shot with a 44mm Pam - they're a similar size. :shock:

Your wrist shots also confirm the Everest to be a fairly large watch, not a slight increase in size over a 1016 I was expecting.

Good review however and honest photos.

Thanks
    No problem :) I have to say the PAM is definitely bigger. I think the perspective in the photo makes ait a little hard to compare the diameters. I'd also say the Everest sits better under a shirt cuff and feels less tall, even if it isn't.

I think it looks terrific. Sadly I fear it is too big for me. Can't do 50mm lug to lug.

regards,
    Nick

Some great photos on here chaps. Congratulations to all who have purchased one. I really want to like it but the hands just let it down for me. The case size, bracelet, domed crystal, 'Great Britain' and 'Everest' text all say 'BUY ME' but the too short hands, no date and too thick minute markers say 'meh'. Just my opinion, of course and not at all intended to spoil peoples enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect
    the too short hands, no date and too thick minute markers say 'meh'
    Looking down at it on my wrist, I'd say that if the hands were 1mm longer they'd look too long, which suggests they're about right. They're longer than they look in some some of the photos. The minute markers aren't thick, but I can see that some wouldn't go for the undifferentiated style.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect
    the too short hands, no date and too thick minute markers say 'meh'
    Looking down at it on my wrist, I'd say that if the hands were 1mm longer they'd look too long, which suggests they're about right. They're longer than they look in some some of the photos. The minute markers aren't thick, but I can see that some wouldn't go for the undifferentiated style.
    Looking at mine as worn I'd agree that the pic I took next to the Speedbird does not show how the second hand appears in real life. It actually just touches the second marks and looks far better in reality.

This looks great! Wear it in good health!

Goddammit. I've gone from 'meh' to 'hmmm...' to "want" in the space of one thread.
    Will there be any left after Xmas? Got a birthday looming...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    One thing I hadn't realised in advance of receiving it - the sides of the case carry a subtle curve, rather than the straight (and arguably 'slab-sided') cases of most affordable watches.

Nice... I like that. 8)
    It would have been so wrong to have a slab sided case for this :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The side curves blend so well with the acrylic crystal.

I am very close to clicking the buy button...it looks superb. The shots next to the SBIII make me realise that I just don't like sterile dials. It makes the watch look unfinished. I loved the spec of the SBIII...it was my ideal watch...but I ended up flipping it twice. I now think it was the sterile dial.

Looks good, I think I might just place an order one of these.

It might become known as the "Ted Molt" :lol: