closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are strap changing tools banned on flights?

Are strap changing tools banned on flights?

Apology if question asked and answered before but I couldn't easily see anything from a search.

I have just picked up a 2 watch carry case with enough room in the centre fold for a spare strap (or 2) and the changing tool.
    Now for flights I'd want to keep the watches in my carry on baggage.
    Trouble is would the changing tool be an unwelcome addition through security?
    It does after all have some prongs and a pointy bit.
    I ask as I've seen nail clippers being taken off people in the past.
    I would call a travel agent but I doubt they'll know what a watch strap changing tool is.

Thank you for any advice, Alex

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Are strap changing tools banned on flights?

Not allowed AFAIK

I just used common sense and assumed they would be taken off you at security. You could do a lot of damage to someone with one.

Just put it in your suitcase/hold baggage. No need to carry it on.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75
    ...t seems the rules are "Make it up as you go along" ...
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    Not allowed AFAIK
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC
    ...assumed they would be taken off you at security...
    Thank you for the very quick replies.
    I am coming to the same conclusion, just thought I'd ask the question though.
    Think I'll just slip it into a pair of spare shoes* in the hold baggage.

Alex

* that way I will know where it is. Otherwise black changing tool rattling around in a big black bag. You know what'll happen :wink: :lol:

If they see the tool on the x-ray they'll probably take it off you (similar to nail clippers and nail files). I wouldn't risk it.

bergeon tools unscrew and fit in a little wallet, I'm pretty sure it would get through.. I think they're looking for sharp items of a certain length when they scan..

Was stuck behind some daft woman today coming back from france "but I always take scissors in my hand luggage" she just kept repeating that sentence over and over along with "but i just use them to cut my hair".. HELLO ARE YOU STUPID? OH YOU CUT YOUR HAIR, OK THAT MEANS YOU WONT STAB ANYONE"...... "PS YOU NEED TO STOP CUTTING YOUR OWN HAIR IT LOOKS $H!TE!"

Sorry about that, I almost missed my flight due to this idiot :)

I say you should be ok with a small tool :lol:

Grand Master

Not sure where the OP's coming from on this.....assuming it's a holiday trip he's planning I`d question the logic/sense of taking more than one watch and I`d seriously question the sense of swapping straps around :? Can`t imagine myself wanting to do this; I pick one watch that's suitable for the destination and stick with it.

However, I`ve carried a small watchmakers screwdriver in my wallet in recent years which I`ve used for tightening glasses screws. That's what I use for strap-changing (combined with thumb-nails and possibly a wooden cocktail stick). Against the rules, but I`ve never had a problem getting through security.

Paul

Master

no sharp items..... maybe we will see a pair of scissors and strap changing tool in that pic :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't risk it.

You are at the mercy of poorly-trained and poorly-motivated individuals and they can make a misery of your life if they choose to do so. I learnt some time ago to grit my teeth and not challenge any of their demands, no matter how pointless it really is. (The last one was being told I HAD to remove my passport from my shirt pocket and place it into a tray for scanning :roll:)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Don't risk it.

You are at the mercy of poorly-trained and poorly-motivated individuals and they can make a misery of your life if they choose to do so. I learnt some time ago to grit my teeth and not challenge any of their demands, no matter how pointless it really is. (The last one was being told I HAD to remove my passport from my shirt pocket and place it into a tray for scanning :roll:)

R
    I never let my passport out of my sight.. Why did they ask you to do that? Idiots..

Had strap tool with me on several flights and never had any issues. My tool however is made from small jeweler screwdriver.

Don't risk it.

(The last one was being told I HAD to remove my passport from my shirt pocket and place it into a tray for scanning :roll:)

R
    I've been stopped twice and asked to do another round recently after passing magnetic scanner. First time because of I walked too fast, second time because of I had hands in my pockets :lol:

I've often thought that the Bergeon tool would be a simple thing to get through; especially if the end pieces were in your bag and the main barrel in your pocket. I've never attempted it however and have just settled with having one at each end in Berlin and London. On other trips strap-changing is not an option or I bring a few NATOs. Having said this there is no end of mindless rules that the failed traffic wardens that seem to constitute most airport security are prepared to make up on the spot. And stay awake for tomorrow it will be different.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I had the same dilema this holiday and decided not to risk it and put everything into the luggage in the hold, however on returning to the uk discovered I had a burgeon screwdriver in one of the pockets on my hand luggage either I was lucky and they diddnt notice or they werent bothered, you could always risk it but I would be prepared to loose them if you do.

Put them in the hold baggage and just watch the in flight movie :lol:

wouldn't risk it if i was you.just went through security at edinburgh at the weekend and forgot to remove mobile phone from pocket and got talked down by security.apparently a metal detector detects metal.....no s**t sherlock! usual problem - give someone a bit of power and it goes to their head.interestingly never removed rolex sub and i have had no problems going through security.

Master
    Blog Entries

Slightly OT but common sense is usually missing with some, shall i call them airport staff?

Not so long ago, i was flying Stansted>Montichiari with a shotgun stock in hand luggage. It was quite exciting at the scanner when lights etc went off and i was challenged robustly by security.

You can't fly with this sir, it's part of a gun. It's part of a tree was my honest reply and not meant to be sarcastic but taken that way. The situation worsened quite quickly and other travellers where gathering to listen to our exchanges. A superior was summoned at my request and common sense did ultimately prevail. It was a harmless piece of wood after all :)

A common sense approach is all that is needed but so often missed :(

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    Slightly OT but common sense is usually missing with some, shall i call them airport staff?
    If ever I wrote a book it'd be about my experiences flying - and the subject of security would stretch to several chapters. :evil:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman

Re: Are strap changing tools banned on flights? I had to check->

a 3 jaw case wrench. They gave me a box large enough to hold a TV!
    I offered to check my ballpoint pen, but they declined.

Stupid is forever…

I wouldn't risk a strap tool. Put it in your luggage.

Cheers… Joel M

I did not even think about it on a recent trip to America, i had four watches, three in a travel case with my Bergeon tool, no issues.

Silly question, but why would you want or need to take a strap changing tool on a flight?

Quote Originally Posted by altaz
    Silly question, but why would you want or need to take a strap changing tool on a flight?
    I took it to adjust the clasp as i expected my wrist to be a little bigger in a warmer country, i could have used a paper clip but i didnt think twice about taking the tool. It was with my watches which were carried on as hand luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    If ever I wrote a book it'd be about my experiences flying - and the subject of security would stretch to several chapters. :evil:

R
    I'm with you there Ralphy, I too could fill a few. In fact hows about a book solely on airport security intelligence? if one does not already exist.

I turned up at a flight once with a camera and a laptop each in slip cases, was doing a day roundtrip and needed nothing else. The genius on security at East Midlands airport wouldn' t let me through as I'd 2 pieces of hand luggage. after 10 minutes appealing to reason (they were together a fraction the single luggage size) he still refused to let me through, "2 pieces mate, no exceptions". I eventually had an idea, took off my jumper, wrapped the 2 items in it and tied it up with the arms. "there you go mate, one item of hand luggage" i said. He grunted and let me through! unbelievable.

Where's the That's Life jobsworth award when you need it?

back on topic, I reckon dismantled with the pieces kept separate would probably get through. With many carriers charging for hold luggage these days, sticking it in your suitcase is sometimes not an option.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Foztex
    In fact hows about a book solely on airport security intelligence?
    An oxymoron if ever there was one.
    No doubt there are well-trained individuals who can use a mature judgement whilst assessing the passengers, but I've not encountered any. I try to carry as much of my equipment on-board as I can, but invariably it causes the scanner operator to call for a colleague to examine it in more detail and they don't really have a clue as to what much of it is. Silica gel packets usually spark their interest and anything that rattles likewise! Old pic, but you get the idea:

At the other end of the spectrum the security checks are so lax in many foreign airports as to make them laughable. This was in my luggage and set the x-ray alarm off, but the operator merely glanced at the screen and allowed the case back into my possession:

R

Journeyman

My wife was stopped and her handbag searched because the x-ray showed a metal pointed object. It turned out to be a biro refill - and was confiscated.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foztex
    The genius on security at East Midlands airport wouldn' t let me through as I'd 2 pieces of hand luggage. after 10 minutes appealing to reason (they were together a fraction the single luggage size) he still refused to let me through, "2 pieces mate, no exceptions". I eventually had an idea, took off my jumper, wrapped the 2 items in it and tied it up with the arms. "there you go mate, one item of hand luggage" i said. He grunted and let me through!
    You sir, are a genius.

Are those night vision goggles on the right hand side? 8)

At the other end of the spectrum the security checks are so lax in many foreign airports as to make them laughable. This was in my luggage and set the x-ray alarm off, but the operator merely glanced at the screen and allowed the case back into my possession:

Are you serious? Surely if anything is going to get them REALLY excited its that? :)

Quote Originally Posted by rapid
    Are those night vision goggles on the right hand side? 8)
    Are you serious? Surely if anything is going to get them REALLY excited its that? :)
    No, they're strobes (Flashguns).

Yes, I'm serious. Picked it up in a desert & thought it'd make an unusual candle-holder. (Apparently not, according to SWMBO).

R

Craftsman

Go for it, just don't wear the balaclava on this trip!

Craftsman

R
    Thank you sir. :D :D You saved my day. This threat is best stuff for a long time in here. Reminds me when I was picking up my parcel from custom clearance and officer lady asked "whats in there?" and reply was "Just some parts to my assault rifle." :wink:

Yes. She wanted to open it. :lol:

-OD

I'm sure there's an equally thick book that could be written about stupid passengers...

Master
    Blog Entries

If Tweezers arent then I cant see strap changing tools being allowed!

Craftsman

As a regular through airport security, the biggest jobsworth seem to be based at Gatwick these days.

A couple of months I was stopped going through the metal detector, not because the alarm was tripped but because I was wearing my company security pass around my neck. There was no metal content but the jobsworth advised me that I was breaching some transport regulation. In fact I had turned round the pass so my ID tag was completely hidden. I bit my tongue and resisted my desire to ask him for the statutory reference. The muppet then watched over me while I put my belt and shoes back on until I removed the offending item. I clearly looked well dodgy wearing my pinstripe suit alongside the mass of shellsuits.

I sometimes while away the time spent going through the ritual humiliation at airport security ("and your shoes, sir, and that belt, and ...") by thinking about ways that the bad guys could use things that you can legitimately take on board with you. You could bash somebody over the head with your laptop. You could sharpen the edge of a CD or DVD disk so that it's sharper than any knife. Etc.

The stupidest I encountered recently was when my wife and myself were going on holidays. There were a couple of yoghurts in the fridge, so rather than throw them away we put them in our hand luggage to eat along the way. Unfortunately each tub was just over the 100ml limit, so airport security had to confiscate them.

Master

Easy enough to stick them in a suitcase, surely. Might get away with it, but almost certainly outside the regs.