closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling to like Citizen…

Struggling to like Citizen…

Recently been looking to spend approx £400 on a new watch and have been looking at Citizen but to be honest I find the current offerings really difficult to like aesthetically in spite of the quality of products they make.

So putting the divers aside (Aqualand / Ecozilla / Seiko SK007 & 009 clones etc. etc.) most of their designs are IMO very over fussy i.e. Nighthawk / Skyhawk or just too old fashioned.

Am I missing something?

Re: Struggling to like Citizen…

Tend to agree with you, although the Ti monobloc case solar powered model ( aka Ray Mears in some versions ) is a classic example of robust construction and clear face. Modern "beater" design that sets the standard. No, it is not a mechanical movement. It is a very good, robust modern watch on a classic theme.

At that price range i found my perfect Citizen in the form of a 2100 Calibre actually was a tad cheaper than that :)

No struggle here................. 8)

No struggle here.

I used to not like them.

Maybe because the old Aqualand was every where.

In recent years I have started to warm to them.

I especially like the old Promaster.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsev

+1 for these, I don't see how this design is OTT, very understated and full of technology ( with it soul removed as it is powered by electrickery :D ).

I can do the green faced version of this later if it helps...

Craftsman

Like the OP I have always thought that Citizen were just far too fussy (generalising here) and therefore have steered clear of them but then Simon, above, posts a picture of his Citizen (his top photo) the the design of which has just bowled me over.

I've Googled but can't find it, what model is it PLEASE?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Eco-Dri ... 369&sr=1-6

Not exact same model, but from the same dial style range.

I'm not so keen on the most fussy and involved designs, but their cleaner models look great and represent great value.

I have a real soft spot for my GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by JWL940
    Like the OP I have always thought that Citizen were just far too fussy (generalising here) and therefore have steered clear of them but then Simon, above, posts a picture of his Citizen (his top photo) the the design of which has just bowled me over.

Here is the green dialled version...

The black face is PMD56-2951 and my green version is citizen PMD56-2952 (or the other way round... :D ) and they are JDM only and have to ordered through Higuchi or Seiya or the like...

I've got to agree with you, they should stick to the classic simple dials that they do extremely well. I have the Ray Mears version and absolutely love it in fact I bought a grail on the premise that I would sell the Mears to kind of justify the purchase, well ............ that didn't work :lol:

Very nice!

That is a nice GMT!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    I have a real soft spot for my GMT.

Master

If you don't like them just don't buy them, struggling to like something that you don't have to seems like a waste of effort. As for me, I think they are great...

That simpler model that I linked from Amazon is also on the SC:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199044

- an easy way to try the look and feel, imho

I've had my black faced pmd-56 for a couple of months now and love it..paid about £450 Inc tax etc from higuchi and worth every penny !

Master

I was never a huge fan to be honest, but recently a local jewler has had a few in there window that caught my eye, including

and

and there both reduced in price at the moment, so I may well end up getting one or the other or both :D

I bought an Eco drive on the plane to Monte Carlo about 10 years ago. It was my first significant watch purchase at £275. Anyway, long story short, one day, after about 5 years, it simply stopped working. Sent it off to Citizen be repaired via Argos and had what I can only say was a disappointing experience. It now sits broken in the bottom of my drawer. Not sure how helpful that is but feel better for sharing my story!

Great collection!

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    If you don't like them just don't buy them, struggling to like something that you don't have to seems like a waste of effort. As for me, I think they are great...

I want this one. I missed one on SC a while back and they are discontinued...

I like mine:

Quote Originally Posted by SSK007
    Great collection!

Great pics too! 8)

I've recently acquired my first Citizen and have been impressed by it: build quality far higher than I expected tbh.

I'm quite warming to them.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Thanks to those than answered my plea; it looks like it's Radio Receive in Japan only so it'll not be going on my Christmas wish-list but non-the-less a stunning design. One thing this thread has taught me however is that Citizen isn't all bells, whistles and multiple subdials, I'll be taking a closer look at what they have to offer.

Thanks to those than answered my plea; it looks like it's Radio Receive in Japan only so it'll not be going on my Christmas wish-list but non-the-less a stunning design. One thing this thread has taught me however is that Citizen isn't all bells, whistles and multiple subdials, I'll be taking a closer look at what they have to offer.
    This was probably the only down side, however, as was pointed out to me when I bought mine, these are so accurate, that it really doesn't matter. I checked mine when the clocks changed, when I had had it for about 5 months and it had gained 12 seconds. My Cal2100 had gained 10 seconds and horrors of horrors my 18Q had gained nearly 20 seconds. I reckon 2seconds a month is probably accecptable!

Quote Originally Posted by andyjay

This was probably the only down side, however, as was pointed out to me when I bought mine, these are so accurate, that it really doesn't matter. I checked mine when the clocks changed, when I had had it for about 5 months and it had gained 12 seconds. My Cal2100 had gained 10 seconds and horrors of horrors my 18Q had gained nearly 20 seconds. I reckon 2seconds a month is probably accecptable!
    Yep 2 secs a month is pretty much on par for mine as well, the Navihawk in the pictures is actually even more accurate and the last of the ani-digi models I think I would buy, the newer ones I agree are getting a little fussy.

This is my ecodrive, perpetual calendar promaster tough... I love the simple solid design. But I agree that a lot of their newer stuff isn't as good... I often have a quick browse in a high street jewellers and just can't see one thing that catches my eye.

This has reminded me i love this watch and am going to put it on right now, so solid but so light in the titanium.

Master

Yep 2 secs a month is pretty much on par for mine as well, the Navihawk in the pictures is actually even more accurate and the last of the ani-digi models I think I would buy, the newer ones I agree are getting a little fussy.
    Agreed on all points, I only have one Citizen ana-digi and it's about as busy as I can deal with. What drew me to it is the 6B Flight Slide Rule which was just about useable.

These aren't too shabby :)

[quote="Stanford"]These aren't too shabby :)

Nice. I've heard of the chronomasters... are they easy to find or Japan only?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack83
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford

Nice. I've heard of the chronomasters... are they easy to find or Japan only?
    New are from Japan only (as far as I know) ... and not many come up for sale second hand.

What's not to like?

Great lume too

A 007/009 alternative?

The now discontinued NY0045-something or other, and a NY0040 something or other full lume...

Not to fussy,

Or, a plain simple chronograph with alarm...

Citizen make some great value for money watches. They range from the simple to the extremely complex and tend to have fantastic lume as well.

I have 3, they are all full DLC and are each great in their own way.

Mitch

Banned

Just seen a TV ad with Padraig Harrungton promoting the brand. God help them :mrgreen:

A 007/009 alternative?

The now discontinued NY0045-something or other, and a NY0040 something or other full lume...

The full-lume NY0040 is one of the nicest inexpensive divers out there IMO 8)

Glad I bagged one in time.

Nice dial!

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    A 007/009 alternative?

The full-lume NY0040 is one of the nicest inexpensive divers out there IMO 8)

Glad I bagged one in time.

Loving this JDM model.

Need to see what Eddie's bringing out before committing though.

1 piece duratect titanium monoblock case. :D

Borrowed pic from watchreport

If anyone has 1 and wants rid :mrgreen:

You cannot turn the radio recieve function off on these, and for what it's worth mine intermittently picks up the signal all the way from Japan. Just a bonus for me, its a great watch anyway.

Master

How can you not like this:

I wish I hadn't got rid of it :cry:

A great looking watch and one I'd have bought long ago apart from the odd looking 4.

I'm not normally that picky but the 4 puts me right off
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters

That's the Citizen for me, I've seen them for sale in Europe, but not here in the UK.

Mitch[/quote]

Another one of mine a very solid piece

That looks very nice! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford
    Now THAT is eactly what I'm talking about! Lovely. What model is it Bob?

Okay...update.

Went to cardiff yesterday. Looked around. Looked at every Citizen had going. Liked little. Come home with this instead :roll:

Still pleased though :)

Keep them coming chaps. I'm learning! :D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart D
    Okay...update.

Went to cardiff yesterday. Looked around. Looked at every Citizen had going. Liked little. Come home with this instead
    Uh Oh, next thread - "Struggling to like Tissot'

:mrgreen:

Master

I don't "love" my Citizen. However, I bought it mainly as a beater and being titanium it is immensely light and comfortable. It also feels and so far has proved very resilient (and it is decently specced) so it serves its intended purpose very well indeed, as well as being inoffensively styled - so I do very much "like" it:

I have one of these landing tomorrow.

Keep your eye on SC :lol:

Master

Colourful little blighters...