closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreadnought GMT

Dreadnought GMT

Hi all

Greetings from sunny Singapore :o

I believe there was some discussion about the DN GMT possibly having a dual purpose Elapsed Time / 24 Hour Bezel, with the question raised on how this could be achieved ....

I was thinking that, short of using a dual bezel design like that on the SEA3 :wink: , another way to get this dual function capability would be to perhaps engrave the 24 Hour timer on that bit of clear metal located between the inner ring of the Bezel and the crystal (this 2nd Time Zone ring would, obviously, not be rotatable).

An advantage to this design is that the existing Dreadnought Bezel can continue to be used.

A picture's worth a thousand words, so maybe this Photoshopped rendition will convey my idea better...

The original picture I used for the above PhotoShopped rendition was from the Flying Doctor's excellent http://www.prs2dreadnought.com site. I do hope you do not mind sir.

Cheers

MANoj

Oops..look's like something similar was suggested b4...

Sorry, have just been reading some of the earlier posts and came across this..

Sorry about repeating the idea Guess it was discussed and decided against ?

Cheers

MANoj

All suggestions are gratefully received. The only downside to a double bezel is that it eats into the dial size and original dial was already quite small at 28mm. An extra bezel only 2mm wide would reduce the dial size to an unacceptable 24mm.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Ok, here's another "thought ;)

Right, I've now done some resizing of that space between the Bezel and the Dial so that it's smaller, like in the technical drawings posted ..

Cheers

MANoj

Re: Ok, here's another "thought ;)

Quote Originally Posted by d12go4
    Right, I've now done some resizing of that space between the Bezel and the Dial so that it's smaller, like in the technical drawings posted ..

Cheers

MANoj
    You shouldn't listen to me because I am not going to buy one ... but I think the plongeur hand should go and be replaced with an identical but longer (hand) as the hour-hand.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Craftsman
    Yep, I won't be buying one either as I already have too many GMT pieces now, but I agree with the comment about the plongeur hand, I think it has to be either a dive watch or a travel watch.....unless your planning on swimming across time zones? :lol:

Best regards David

Master

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

You shouldn't listen to me because I am not going to buy one ... but I think the plongeur hand should go and be replaced with an identical but longer (hand) as the hour-hand.

john
    I actually agree with John. The plongeur hand was and is one of the main features of the DN. It 'd be nice to have different hour hand on the DN-GMT to signify the new design.

VA

Nah the plonger hand is one of its strengths... I just wish we could have a similarly special GMT hand - maybe start a new trend usinga brand new hand design?!... maybe in yellow or blue...

Quote Originally Posted by boxbrownie
    .....unless your planning on swimming across time zones? :lol:

Best regards David
    Good one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How many miles is a timezone?* ... you could be starting a new sport.

john

* At the equator. :wink:

Yes to larger dial as the one on the DN is quite small.

No, please DO NOT do away with the plonguer hands as they look great.

Abraxas thinks they are so yesterday and I suspect him of issuing a fatwa aginst Plongeur hands any day now! :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout

Abraxas thinks they are so yesterday and I suspect him of issuing a fatwa aginst Plongeur hands any day now! :lol: :lol:
    There's been a fatwa against plongeurs (plonkers?) for about six months now.

john

Infidel plongeur hands ? :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by boxbrownie
    .....unless your planning on swimming across time zones? :lol:

Best regards David
    Good one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How many miles is a timezone?* ... you could be starting a new sport.

john

* At the equator. :wink:
    Problem is that timezones are geo-political constructs and not all of equal size, even at the equator. If they were then they'd probably be about 1,037 miles each.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KCampbell

Problem is that timezones are geo-political constructs and not all of equal size, even at the equator. If they were then they'd probably be about 1,037 miles each.

Kevin
    Ouch.
    They are going to have to swim closer to the poles ...

john

fartis

MANoj
    hi there, newbie to this forum here. for obvious reasons, missed out on the original DN, and very interested in the new GMT-model. i like this mock-up pic Manoj pictured, almost perfect. using the thin crystal-holding piece of steel around the dial for the 24h-markers could be a possibibility, or as per the last picture, on the dial. fixed bezel with black lettering on white background (as per rolex exp2) seems most appropriate. rolex gmt-style ("pepsi/day-night") doesn't do much for me, personally.

how about, as another forumite mentioned before, just change the colour of the plongeur hand and luminous 12-marker on the dial. for example blue, fluor green, white, yellow, maybe even red...

blue, green and white would work best, since those colours are available as lume-colour as well (for the 12-marker).

wanted to upload a mock-up picture, but seems i can only link to pics already on the web. correct?

anyways, very much excited about a new DN-project. will def keep track of topics on the subject. looking forward to the end-result.

Manojs suggestion looks great with the larger dial. It is tough to get used to the small dial on the DN, when one is used to much larger dials.

fartis

PVD?

perhaps another feature to implement to distinguish the GMT from the 'original', could be to black PVD the case and bracelet. take a look for example at the Kobold Seal Tactical Black (tacky name, i know...); it looks good: just black and white. the bezel of the Kobold might also be an idea for the dive/gmt-bezel?

EDIT: also, wouldn't it be 'better' to name the new watch differently? 'dreadnought gmt' or 'dreadnought 2' could come back to haunt the wtch in the future because it might lose some appeal, and could also discredit the original Dreadnought. so maybe another name? (Juggernaut, or something like that, no?)

Why another name? It will become a Dreadnought but then a GMT version so it seems obvious that it wil another version of the Dreadnought and will carry the same name.

And it is already a big watch so if you use pvd or metal instead of bead-blasted or ti its become to much bling

fartis
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubus
    Why another name? It will become a Dreadnought but then a GMT version so it seems obvious that it wil another version of the Dreadnought and will carry the same name.

And it is already a big watch so if you use pvd or metal instead of bead-blasted or ti its become to much bling
    you're prolly right, were just some ramblings. although i don't think PVD qualifies as 'bling' but that's a matter of taste

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    .......... It is tough to get used to the small dial on the DN, when one is used to much larger dials.
    Yes I know.. I had that experience...... took me about 0.0034 sec.

You should try to change the bracelet on a DN.... that takes considerable more time to get used to...........

The smaller dial and thick crystal is what gave the DN it's no nonsense rugged look... 30-32 mm max would keep it such that it still would be worthy of it's Dreadnought name
    Making the dial much larger would weaken it's presence but then again with a pink dial it would probably be a nice girlies watch.....
    the dreadednaughty........

Jeroen

Just some thoughts :wink:

24 Hour TimeZone is now located just outside of the Minute Chapter. Used a simple long Red GMT Hand...one that's thin enough not to be glaring...and long enough so that won't be blocked by the Minute Hand :D

Cheers

MANoj

What do you guys think about shortening the minute hand a bit to optimize the display of the gmt hand?

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

IMHO, the Min hand may have been shortened a wee bit too much... The Hour and Minute Hands seem to balance out just too nicely, if you know what I mean....

But I agree the tip of the GMT Hand should be visible even when the Minute Hand is directly over it, and that may only be achievable by shortening the Minute Hand...But the shortening should be kept to the bare minimum.

Nice PhotoShopping :)

Cheers
    MANoj

[quote="mr1973"]What do you guys think about shortening the minute hand a bit to optimize the display of the gmt hand?

I agree with you 100%. Will post modified versions later on. :)

Here some other variations:

GMT Bezel:

Diver Bezel:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    GMT Bezel:

Very nice :D Maybe the dashes between the hours on the bezel should be tuned to make it easier to read e.g. 15 and 17?
    Excellent photoshopping, BTW.

Cheers,
    Gert

MANoj
    That's the kind of GMT hand I like. Simple, unobtrusive, and all the way to the edge.

john

Craftsman
    the 24h write to the Chapter ring (rehaut) like Orfina GMT Pilot MKII , but that not an rotting bezel.

(Credit : Orfina)

(credit : chronomaster.co.uk )

Master
    GMT Bezel:

Diver Bezel:

I do like these versions. The minute and GMT hand should be the same length, IMO.

The GMT hand could be slightly wider but retain the same shape of the minute hand tip so it is readable when they pass each other.

EDIT: I mean the tip of the GMT hand :D

What do you guys think about shortening the minute hand a bit to optimize the display of the gmt hand?

I'd like to see this one with a full-size minute hand.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo
    the 24h write to the Chapter ring (rehaut) like Orfina GMT Pilot MKII , but that not an rotting bezel.

(Credit : Orfina)

(credit : chronomaster.co.uk )
    Top one (MKII) is nice - GMT hand extended to maximum. And the 24hr. GMT markers very small and not cluttering the dail. Perferably not on the dail -at all.

The chapter ring approach is a good one (assuming that the DN has a chapter ring that supports this, I've never seen or handled one to know). I still prefer the GMT bezel, although if it also includes the minute hashes to allow for elapsed time that would be good. If it's GMT, though, it would be better if the bezel was bi-directional.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

At your service, Sir ;-)

At your service, Sir ;-)

OK, if we can have that PLUS a 24hr GMT bezel that would be FANTASTIC! Do we know yet whether interchangeable bezels are an option (either user-swappable or an option chosen at purchase time) ??

At your service, Sir ;-)
    This version is awesome!
    I really like this model, it still has the famous looks of a Dreadnought.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Dilettante
    OK, if we can have that PLUS a 24hr GMT bezel that would be FANTASTIC! Do we know yet whether interchangeable bezels are an option (either user-swappable or an option chosen at purchase time) ??
    Here you are: Same Variation with GMT Bezel

Master
    Perfect for the traveller who wants to take a dip now and again :D

Cheers,
    Gert

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Dilettante

Many thanks, Mike!!!

Hot Damn! I like that so much I would buy more than one! (No kidding!)

Love it, Love it, LOVE it! :love4: :love10: :salute:

At your service, Sir ;-)

That looks very good, excellent in fact :cheers: My only addition would be a black shaft to the GMT hand (so the arrow floats like the second hand box). Also, I think Eddie plans on putting the GMT in red on the dial.

I like this very much but wonder if the "minute markers" on the bezel should be changed because there is no obvious marker for the intermediate hours.

I have asked in the past for switchable bezels using some sort of bayonet mount and whilst this is possible, it does add significantly to the thickness of the watch. I'm pretty sure the way to go is to have it available with a choice of bezel at the time of ordering; the elapsed time bezel should be unidirectional and the 24 hour bezel should be bidirectional.

Arguments welcomed. :lol:

Eddie

Interchangeable bezels adding thickness to the watch is a goooood thing! :lol:

I like the one above. Very nice to see that it has a bit bigger dial diameter as compared to the DN.

mej46
    Hi all,

Another newbie here forced out of lurking by all this talk of the DN GMT.

Got to say that so far the the best mock ups are the ones with "proper" GMT bi-directional bezels.

Not keen on having the 24hr markings on the dial, ruins the look.

Surely a GMT should be just that, if you look at all the other succesful diver to GMT watches they still manage to keep the "family" look but also have their own identities.

I'm sure it will look great when done so please keep one fo me !

Size matter. Bigger and thicker!
    Count me in on the order list...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Eddie,

Yes thicker is better, I think we should be looking at 20mm thickness perhaps 24mm 8)

Regs

Bry

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I like this very much but wonder if the "minute markers" on the bezel should be changed because there is no obvious marker for the intermediate hours.
    Very good point actually... didīnt even notice that... new photoshop image will come tomorrow.

The arrow on the GMT hand is still a bit too small in my opinion. Looks good on this supersized image, but guess it has to be a bit larger (because of both, proportions AND usability).

Switchable bezels would be one of the greatest ideas in watch history - even
    when adding thickness. :o :bounce: :hello1:

Master

That, imho, looks tremendous.

As Nalu wrote, the arm should be made ostensibly invisible, so that the GMT marker 'floats'-a clever idea, in relation to the DN and watervourne heritage! :D

Perhaps, in regard to the interm. Hrs, they could be made by small lume dots or better, squares, on the outer ring of the minute hashes,-aligning with the 24hr hr markers. It would be an effective shorthand, as well as in keeping with the GMT function in this area. On the inner ring, it may prove too 'busy', but I have not mocked it up.

IMHO, the GMT hand may do the biz if it were square, with a greater lume profile, as well as fitting int he min. sections, therein acting as further reference for timing as it would be ii quickly noticable increments of measurement. The triangle has to compromise between accurracy of its point and the lume profile. DN is famous for Lume!

A square of rectangular GMT point could be 'nibbed' a la U1 achiveing the 'bet of both wlds'.

I like it not too thick. What would, perhaps, the diameter be anyway?

Best Wishes,

Sincerely,

Pottinger :)

Journeyman
    I love those two ideas and like the thought of being to choose a bezel - may even mean I have to buy one of each!

As regards Eddie's point about the minute markers on the bezel, I'm in two minds. You don't need any markers at all to tell what the hour is - and for elapsed time they still do a job, so I'd be inclined to keep them. It's just that some bright spark is going to ask 'what are those 24 minute markers for?'.

Given how the current DN bezel is held on - using an octagonal ring spring, I'm not sure why two different bezels couldn't be supplied.

In truth I'm not sure I'd change much from these pics. The larger dial and crystal differentiate it nicely from the original.

Turning the discussion on its head, what's the back going to look like? I'd love there to be the SSN01 crest, but I'm sure it would come at a price.

Journeyman
    I agree that that the photo in Ailfrid Pottingers post is a great looking watch.

Since I would use this as a travel watch there are two things I would like to see.

1) A diving type bezel. I like to use that for timing things in and outside the water.

2) That the watch would be thin. If I use this as a travel watch it might be the only watch I'm carrying. So I would be wearing it with casual shirts but might even wear it with long sleeve dress shirts or even a sports coat.

One last thing is it's got to have great lume! 8)

Bezel

Journeyman
    I agree that that the photo in Ailfrid Pottingers post is a great looking watch.

Since I would use this as a travel watch there are two things I would like to see.

1) A diving type bezel. I like to use that for timing things in and outside the water.

2) That the watch would be thin. If I use this as a travel watch it might be the only watch I'm carrying. So I would be wearing it with casual shirts but might even wear it with long sleeve dress shirts or even a sports coat.

One last thing is it's got to have great lume! 8)

Bezel

close to perfect !

The only thing that I'm not completely convinced about is the GMT hand..... for me the faster a hand is moving the less substance it should have...
    if a minute had is longer than the hour hand it already has that effect, loking more slender....
    the DN's original hands conbination was quite good en that respect... so for me something close to the shape of the hour hand but with a different colour would do it

Jeroen