closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Thing (2011)

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Thing (2011)

The 1982 Carpenter version is one of my all time favourite action/SF films (memories of a first date with my now wife..........romantic choice eh? :wink: ). Anyone interested in the prequel due out early next month? Should be interesting, but early reviews are mixed -

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=181

Re: The Thing (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    The 1982 Carpenter version is one of my all time favourite films (memories of a first date with my now wife..........romantic choice eh? :wink: ). Anyone interested in the prequel due out early next month? Should be interesting, but early reviews are mixed -

Love the original. Fairly confident that the remake will be shite.

Think this will make you smile :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amd ... r_embedded

I'm sure it'll pale in comparison to the original, but I'll go see it anyway.

(memories of a first date with my now wife..........romantic choice eh? :wink: )
    I took her to Cronenberg's The Fly :D :lol:

Like you I thought the original was amazing. The new one is a prequel, to be precise, set in the Norwegian camp. I'm told that it's ok, nothing more than that, but the creature transformations are very well done and thrillingly original.

The big buzz is around Prometheus. Ridley Scott's revisiting of the Alien universe.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg
    The 1982 Carpenter version is one of my all time favourite films (memories of a first date with my now wife..........romantic choice eh? :wink: ). Anyone interested in the prequel due out early next month? Should be interesting, but early reviews are mixed -

Love the original. Fairly confident that the remake will be shite.

Think this will make you smile :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8faq5amd ... r_embedded
    I had forgotten how good this film is, not watched it for years...will be pencilling in a viewing this week for sure.
    I sure as hell won't bother to watch the remake though....

It's been fairly heavily featured on Sky recently but apparently with a 12 certificate. I'm certain that when it was first released it was an 18 (or X). Anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by SternG

(memories of a first date with my now wife..........romantic choice eh? :wink: )
    And look what happened ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cert 18 if I recall. Same is said on Empire. Perhaps cuts made on the SKY version?

Carpenter's The Thing is a remake of Howard Hawks' 1951 movie, The Thing From Another Planet. Carpenter's is good, but it's not
    the original.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    Carpenter's The Thing is a remake of Howard Hawks' 1951 movie, The Thing From Another Planet. Carpenter's is good, but it's not
    the original.
    Yes, you're right. But...I guess it was Carpenter's Thing that everyone took notice of. At least amongst film buffs. (Carpernter's thing? What am I saying?)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow
    the original.
    Yes, you're right. But...I guess it was Carpenter's Thing that everyone took notice of. At least amongst film buffs. (Carpernter's thing? What am I saying?)
    Agreed. Btw, I have just read the 1938 novella "Who Goes There?" by John W Campbell, upon which the the first two films are based, and perhaps surprisingly the Carpenter version is quite true to the book....until the end that is. :wink:

Here it is in pdf (if link works)

http://whogoesthere.info/book/whogoesthere.pdf

Banned

the original.
    From the book 'Who goes there?"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer
    the original.
    Didn't I just say that...^^^^^^^^^ :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow
    the original.
    Agreed. Btw, I have just read the 1938 novella "Who Goes There?" by John W Campbell, upon which the the first two films are based, and perhaps surprisingly the Carpenter version is quite true to the book....until the end that is. :wink:

Here it is in pdf (if link works)

http://whogoesthere.info/book/whogoesthere.pdf
    Thanks, that's a fair read, and almost timeless, you wouldn't think it was written over 70 years ago.

Banned
    Blog Entries

^^^^^^^^that was what I thought.

Master

The Thing in the original film was played by James Arness who went on to play Matt Dillon in the long running American series called Gunsmoke. Just a piece of movie trivia that has always stuck in my head. I like both versions and am interested in the latest remake too.

Grand Master

I love the 82 version, Kurt Russell was fantastic and it was so open and claustrophobic. The prequel seems a bit of a mish mash, I believe there's a couple of Americans and they're the lead, but in the old one the Norwegian station wad meant to be non English speaking, none of the data was readable when they visited either, sounds like they're Americanising it, they should have just done a sequel.

Banned

the original.
    Didn't I just say that...^^^^^^^^^ :wink:
    :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Quote Originally Posted by SternG

And look what happened ;)
    :D

Crazy biatch like that, it was bound to happen. The film was fine :blackeye:

Master

I think the original is overrated :) it's good but Im not sure it warrants 'classic' status

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox
    I think the original is overrated :) it's good but Im not sure it warrants 'classic' status
    Get thee out of here and be gone, you infidel! :D

Craftsman

I just don't think you can beat the original but I enjoyed the sequel. The spaceship segment at the end was a bit naff but the creature effects were well done.

the original.
    :lol:

I hate prequels, just lazy marketeers milking the prize heffer, a sequel imoves the viewer onwards -or at least sideways- and thats a journey I want to take!
    Also most prequels now (by 'New Hollywood' law) will invariably cast a woman in the role of the arse kicking, problem solving and wise cracking lead whether it makes any kind of sense or not and that really blows
    Joe

I heard it's very similar to the original but with inferior special effects.

That sounds a bit odd when you consider what can be done now compared to 30 years ago.

If they've preserved the scene with the guy using the defibrillator on a man's chest which then grows teeth and bites his arms off .....

I'm in. :mrgreen:

Just...what? :error:

Banned

exactly what I was thinking, never been able to watch it all the way through as it gets a bit boring towards the end IMHO.

I went to see this on Sunday....and it was...ok...not fantastic but ok.

But holy cr*p it was loud! Not sure if they had the volume set wrong in the cinema, but it was literally painful to sit through the alien screams!

Craftsman

Watched it as well. Pretty enjoyable actually - and I'm a great fan of the "sequel" with Kurt. Just the transition at the end is a bit weak or maybe leaves some room for interpretation.