closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC G10 minty NOS 1989 vs Issued

CWC G10 minty NOS 1989 vs Issued

The dial from the mint 89 [left] looks bled, blurred, white ink has spread compared to the finer type seen on the issued 89 [right]...
    Could the dial be from later years... a franken... or fake dial...?

Sorry noob question... is there a list as to what numbers went where [not justthe dept army/navy/etc]

Re: CWC G10 minty NOS 1989 vs Issued

Swiss Made dial on the left and Swiss ln the right,

for sure two different makers like when Rolex was ordering dials from Singer or others makers...

Nothing crazy about that and both are real CWC, not franken ones...

I think the best dials are 1985 and earlier and have Swiss at the bottom. The later dials do not seem to have enough density of the white paint for the numbers and look a bit wishy washy. I wonder if the watch on the right has had an older dial fitted. I know the hands can be swapped over and so maybe the dials too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I think the best dials are 1985 and earlier and have Swiss at the bottom. The later dials do not seem to have enough density of the white paint for the numbers and look a bit wishy washy. I wonder if the watch on the right has had an older dial fitted. I know the hands can be swapped over and so maybe the dials too.
    more likely the other way round... as i have a second issued 89 [not working] with a dial that matches the above issued version [right]... looks like different dial makers but i would love to know the history of the mint versions sold all over the bay? - not wishing to rubbish anyone selling them, I'm confident they are real [with my limited knowledge]... A MOD over order? CWC/MOD rejects? Stolen/hidden by a Donald Sutherland type quartermaster...? :D

1979 and 2006

Differences in the dial are:
    1979 has SWISS, 2006 has SWISS MADE.
    1979's numbers are whiter.
    1979's seconds markers are thinner.
    1979 has the old CWC logo.
    The texture of the 1979 dial is smoother than 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kilo
    more likely the other way round... as i have a second issued 89 [not working] with a dial that matches the above issued version [right]... looks like different dial makers but i would love to know the history of the mint versions sold all over the bay? - not wishing to rubbish anyone selling them, I'm confident they are real [with my limited knowledge]... A MOD over order? CWC/MOD rejects? Stolen/hidden by a Donald Sutherland type quartermaster...? :D

The clearest dials are from the 80s. Dials from the 90s lack definition and depth of pigment in the white

Craftsman

That's true, but the black paint on those earlier dials is very easy to mark, not that its usually a problem. The latest G10s with luminova seem to be the best all round - good contrast of the printing, better quality control than the late 80s and 90s dials, with tough paint, and pretty good (working) lume. :)

just opened the 89 issued one on the right, has an old 555.115, which was not produced from 86 onwards...? looks like a mixture of 89 and 83-86...?

Blog Entries

Whats the quality like on the current issue from silvermans? Are they brand new new or brand new old stock? How does a g10 i buy from say silvermans compare to the above 70's one? IM THINKING IT DOESNT COMPARE

Look out for a 1980 CWC fat boy. More of a chase to find a good one and it will have history too. I have a few and time keeping is still excellent at about + 0.3 sec/day. Just the same as a new Omega SMP I bought last week for considerably more cash.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by bond
    Whats the quality like on the current issue from silvermans? Are they brand new new or brand new old stock? How does a g10 i buy from say silvermans compare to the above 70's one? IM THINKING IT DOESNT COMPARE

The 70's one above is mechanical. The movement was a manual wind ETA 2750, Silverman's do modern versions with ETA 2824 (automatic with date) and ETA 2801 (manual wind). The biggest difference is that the new ones have snap on backs, whereas the 70's ones have one-piece cases (the access to the movement is through the front, taking the crystal out first). And parts will be easier to find for the newer movements.

The current issue watches are quartz, and IMHO the newest G10 are the best ones. G10s from around 1985 to the present use interchangeable movements, which are very good quality. The movements from the early 80's are obsolete, so parts have to come from cannibalising old watches, and they have a reputation for being more fragile.
    There is still a lot of love for the old fat-case ones though, since the cases feel so substantial. But the new ones seem pretty tough, much more so than the Pulsar G10.

Another current issue CWC watch is the GS2000, with a Ronda 715 movement and date. The Ronda is probably not as good as the ETA in the standard g10. Also GS2000 doesn't have a battery hatch.

But here is a picture of my GS2000, from the future. :shock:

How did you manage to get a 2012 GS2000 ???
    :?: :?: :?:

Awesome couple of watches there, i wish mine was in better condition.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel
    1979 and 2006

Differences in the dial are:
    1979 has SWISS, 2006 has SWISS MADE.
    1979's numbers are whiter.
    1979's seconds markers are thinner.
    1979 has the old CWC logo.
    The texture of the 1979 dial is smoother than 2006.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent B
    How did you manage to get a 2012 GS2000 ???
    :?: :?: :?:
    I guess this is proof that its the expected issue date, and not the manufacturing date. The battery in it was made in June 2011, so I guess the watch has been put together within the last month or two of 2011.