closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Still playing with a possible Speedbird 3

no Precista name for the speedbird 3

We have to remember that the original speedbird (PRS-1) is the watch that put Timefactors on the map (and the DN made it famous)

The main attraction of the speedbirds is the very clean dial which IMO makes it the perfect watch......
    Eddie uses (if I'm correct) 4 watch- family names....
    of which Speedbird is used for aviator style watches

let's keep it that way....

Jeroen

Master
    Oh, yes Crusader, the +. That merry symbol! :lol: May have broken the fingerof that one! :lol:

RE. the couterbalance; on the MKXI as above, there was not a counterbalance, except, which you may be refering to, to be sure, for example the /|\. A circle L for luminova could be positioned either in place of the b/arrow or below the hands and closer to the date at the 6.
    That is one possibility, the standing for Superluminova, if that is used for the lume, as the circle T was and the circle P on mil watches.

Perhaps, imo the maker's mark, as described, is done small enough and as in the clever manner JLC did, as somewhat described in my previous post, it may be absolutley fine without a balancing. Am not sure yet, though a very good point, imo. The date with the shortened lines as per the first pic on p.1 may balance it very well, itself, what with the underlining of the maker's name in the dynamic way of the JLC at the start and end (their J and E)!

Sincerely,

Pottinger + :) (in all positivity :D )

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Would I buy one? Yes, I probably would. Especially if you keep the dial sterile and put all 'your stuff' at the back. :wink:

john
    Sterile is best!

Precista, I don?t mind ... perhaps with Speedbird or Speedbird III, below the hands.

Precista Watch Co, is stretching it a bit.

ENGLAND, there?s too much scripting already ... and everybody already knows that Speedbirds come from England. :roll: :D

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    IMO Speedbird is fine, too, as described.

They are some open ideas.

Good point. :)

Sincerely,

Pottinger :)

Master
    Re 'England', same could be said for JLC or IWC, etc. It is, imo, a positive touch that has been achieved on Precista before:

I would minimise it and make it thinner lettering and not touching the batons, thus it would be extra discreet, but proudly there, in keeping with the watch and its nature.

See this good review at (where the pic is from):
    http://www.netisto.com/prs14a.htm

Re positioning of a name, I feel below the hands, would be too heavy, what with the date alreasy there and the adj. if lines, too. The eye would be drawn there, whereas in classical design principles, and ergonomics, this area should be more open.

The lettering need be light and compact, as in the JLC, for best result, imo.
    I prefer Precista or Precista Watch or even the full Precista Watch Co., but that is my taste.

I would go with 'Speedbird' of the other choice, numerals can look somewhat of a series than demonstration of great watchmaking, as the top brands oft do, imho.

Sincerely,

Journeyman
    Sterile is best!

Precista, I don?t mind ... perhaps with Speedbird or Speedbird III, below the hands.

Precista Watch Co, is stretching it a bit.

ENGLAND, there?s too much scripting already ... and everybody already knows that Speedbirds come from England. :roll: :D
    I have gone around thinking sterile is best for ages but have started to undergo a change of mind during the dicussion of this watch.

I am beginning to reformulate my view on this into "Sterile is best = Yao watch" and lovely beasts they are too! There's one in the post for me at this very time.

However, this new watch of Eddie's is going to be so nice either way that I refuse to worry.

As to having England on it, out here I'd quite enjoy that. Us expats can get
    disgustingly patriotic at times.

Of course, the print must be small/tiny, pin sharp etc.

On way perhaps of having one's cake and eating it too, might be to print glossy black on black. The words F-104 on the big dial of my Glycine are done like there and it's sort as if they were there and not there, that is, oyu can see it if you want but it is easy to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Essel
    On way perhaps of having one's cake and eating it too, might be to print glossy black on black.
    The U-1 does this nicely, too. Hard to see and very hard to photograph:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Essel
    As to having England on it, out here I'd quite enjoy that. Us expats can get disgustingly patriotic at times.
    If anyone puts one of these silly patriotic little flags on plastic poles (whichever nation) into the crystal wedge of the SB-3 like they do on cars, I am off the deal! :twisted: :roll: :lol: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Or, if "England" is too patriotic, and "Made in Germany", while accurate, perhaps somewhat ill-fitting on a Mark-11-homage ... how about:

"Proudly Made in the European Union"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I was planning for the dial to be completely devoid of names, country of origin, etc. I can let you have some Letraset to make your own. :twisted:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Or, if "England" is too patriotic, and "Made in Germany", while accurate, perhaps somewhat ill-fitting on a Mark-11-homage ... how about:

"Proudly Made in the European Union"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LOL
    All I was thinking of was a teensy-weensy England :salute: on the dial
    God forbid any flag displays à la :usa2: ? apologies to my cousins in what is still the best country in the world.

as for the :pukeleft: EU :pukeright: the flag I do display on left says it all, I think.

I'll be more than happy with Eddie's plan for the dial to be completely devoid of names, country of origin, etc

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I was planning for the dial to be completely devoid of names, country of origin, etc.
    Quite right, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    I was planning for the dial to be completely devoid of names, country of origin, etc.
    Quite right, too!
    Hear, hear!

john

Apprentice
    SB3 photo has recaptured my imagination after missing out on the SB1 and reminds me, as it should of the wrist watches that the older medal ribboned BOAC pilots wore when I was a 'young' fitter with the airline.

Size matters and while I'd prefer some things to be much bigger a wrist watch of this style is not one of them, 39mm diameter being at the very limit for me.
    If a 'ladies' version of the SB3 or an equivelent was to be produced at 36mm diameter with 20mm lugs I would most probably swallow my pride and go for it preferring the under to the overstated!

Sterile dial looks brilliant although 'Precista' would not detract from the beauty of the instrument. Circle P's T's and arrows can look good as a counter balance but are not in my view necessary in this case. Country of origin well why bother, far better I would have thought to have 'Sheffield' placed there as a nod in the direction of where the idea for the watch was conceived.

Fixed bars may be truer to the original but spring bars mounted in drilled through lugs are far more practical and in themselves denote in my opinion quality, who of us fails to spot drilled through lugs on the timepeices of fellow travellers etc?

The crown? well that seems to be the SB3's crowning glory, dont change it!

I dont normally contribute anything to this forum as time (no pun intended) is at a premium and those members who are better quailified say mostly what I would mean to say anyway. But Eddie's SB3 project proposal has rekindled the search abandoned when the last SB1 was sold.

Having said all this I bet this is going to be a limited edition model and that all the numbers have already been spoken for :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by rotate

Having said all this I bet this is going to be a limited edition model and that all the numbers have already been spoken for :cry:
    I'm pretty sure that Eddie's said earlier in this thread that it won't be LE!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I was planning for the dial to be completely devoid of names, country of origin, etc. I can let you have some Letraset to make your own. :twisted:

Eddie
    Can you supply me with white letraset letters please Eddie??

I would like K, V, X, I, C, M and W please.

Seriously though, the picture you showed in the first post in this thread is absolutely perfect, just as it is. Why mess with perfection??

I will ALWAYS regret selling my Speedbird 1, and I'll be first in the queue for one of these.

I'll even put up with a sapphire crystal, but I'd prefer acrylic.

Master
    Oh, a plain dial is fine :)

It is interesting to think of some alernatives and share them. One never knows when they may come in, perhaps usefully.

As I worte earlier, I like the orig. design v. much; It could well be a flyer!

I look forward to more news of it as well of as its finalisation.

If it comes plain (no brand or origin designation), I would not wish to alter it.

Should the lines for the minutes as well as the batons not extend to pretty much the edge of the dial, as in the JLC, for example, I may consider altering that feature.

Looking forward to the continuing good news about the project.

Best Wishes,

Sincerely,

Craftsman
    If the SB3 gets equipped with acrylic crystal how about marking or stamping the crystal with the tiniest Precista-like logo, say a quarter of a millimeter across? Only from certain angels will it be visible. The Broadarrow-logo as per the 53 would be very classy, imho.

Cheers

Henrik

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    Seriously though, the picture you showed in the first post in this thread is absolutely perfect, just as it is. Why mess with perfection??
    Because leaving the photoshopped design unchanged would send Richemont breathing down Eddie's neck, making his troubles with Omega look like a schoolyard fight. ;-)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokport
    The Broadarrow-logo as per the 53 would be very classy, imho.
    :shock: :?: :roll:

The 53's broadarrow is a distinctive feature historically found only on some Omega 53s (MoD redial) - it is not a logo. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokport
    The Broadarrow-logo as per the 53 would be very classy, imho.
    :shock: :?: :roll:

The 53's broadarrow is a distinctive feature historically found only on some Omega 53s (MoD redial) - it is not a logo. :wink:
    Okay, any suggestions then? Maybe the well designed P in Precista?

I believe it would make a sweet engraving on the crystal and a lovely detail, too.

Cheers

Henrik

Journeyman
    Hello folks, I thought I would add my 2 halalas worth to this one as it really appeals to my idea of what a watch should be.
    I love the original image,but, I would make the seconds hand the same as my IWC, i.e the same colour as the other two but the tip lumed.

Not a good picture, but you can see what I mean.
    Regards, Jon.

Master
    Imo, Lume-tipping is a v. good idea.

Adds to the functionnability and utility of the piece. It also distinguishes it from some others, well. Subtle and v. effective.

Sincerely,

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccles
    I would make the seconds hand the same as my IWC, i.e the same colour as the other two but the tip lumed.
    :shock: Yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Journeyman
    Is that a yea or a nay then Martin?
    Regards, Jon.

Grand Master
    Is that a yea or a nay then Martin?
    Regards, Jon.
    :lol:

Too dumbfounded to speak, really Jon. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I would make the seconds hand the same as my IWC, i.e the same colour as the other two but the tip lumed.
    :shock: Yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

As it happens I agree, no lumed tip. But ... this IWC chrono (which I am trying to flip for a friend) has lumed subdial-hands but no lumed seconds which I find odd ... am I missing something?

john

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    am I missing something?
    Eclecticism. :wink:

IWC are losing the eye for detail ... three different type fonts on the Saint-Exupéry, e.g. (as on the Portugieser). They can't be bothered to have special date disks printed up with a matching font (an esay enough task for Om,ega, Sinn and Damasko, e.g.). At the price range they're in ... it's inexcusable. :(
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Apprentice

Speedbird 3

I would buy it! Would hope for a domed crystal and not as thick as the Speedbird

Journeyman
    Eddie, any final comments on this one?
    Regards, Jon.

Never mind the comments Eddie - just get it done :D :D

I'm still waiting for a couple of answers to questions about minor detail.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I'm still waiting for a couple of answers to questions about minor detail.

Eddie
    Keep us posted Eddie, I definitely will want one of these! (Mind you, I was looking at the PRS-17 thread earlier and reminding myself how much I want one of those, too...)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Have you any idea when this one might be due Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by davide
    Have you any idea when this one might be due Eddie?
    I daren't start any more projects at the moment, there's that much already in the pipeline I'd be wiped out financially if they all came at once! (Have to pay up-front before I've sold anything to get cash back in).

Eddie

Grand Master
    I would like to use the 2892 because I want it chronometer grade but the main reason is that I would like to keep it to a maximum 11mm thick with the anti-magnetic cage and dust cover. Probably the only criticism owners of Bill Yao's Quad 10 have is that it's too thick.

Eddie
    I thnk that is a good move. The reason the SMP is so comfortable is because of it's slimness.
    My criticism of the PRS14 is that it is too thick, and makes it sit a bit pork pie-ish on the wrist. No doubt the dust cover has resulted in that, but if the new watch can be made 11mm with a dust cover I think it will be very successful, and especially with a 2892
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff

I thnk that is a good move. The reason the SMP is so comfortable is because of it's slimness.
    My criticism of the PRS14 is that it is too thick, and makes it sit a bit pork pie-ish on the wrist. No doubt the dust cover has resulted in that, but if the new watch can be made 11mm with a dust cover I think it will be very successful, and especially with a 2892
    Couldn't agree more. It's the 'pork-pie' element that stops me buying several watches. Mainly, I don't like the look of them on my wrist, but perhaps more importantly, they inevitably get bashed due to their extra height. You can also wear an SMP under a shirt cuff without too much difficulty, making it a flexible 'dress' as well as a 'dress-down-Friday' watch.

I've been on about this before, but I'd like to add that slimness is not just important to fit under the cuff of a dress shirt. It's also important for a diver when donning and doffing kit. The '14 got ripped off my wrist (springbar failed) when it caught on a shoulder strap while donning an admittedly very heavy rebreather rig :shock: . If I'd been wearing an SMP, I doubt that would have happened.

Yes more care could have (and will be!) taken, but there are times when that is not possible. In water emergency kit changes are a skill practiced by military divers for good reason. I'm all for a sleeker diver (that's still heavy enough to be useful in the hurly-burly of course :lol: )

EDIT - errrr, thought this was the DN-GMT topic

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu

Don't worry Colin, you've just given me an Idea for the DN GMT SB3 UTC. :lol:

Eddie

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    I've been on about this before, but I'd like to add that slimness is not just important to fit under the cuff of a dress shirt. It's also important for a diver when donning and doffing kit. The '14 got ripped off my wrist (springbar failed) when it caught on a shoulder strap while donning an admittedly very heavy rebreather rig :shock: . If I'd been wearing an SMP, I doubt that would have happened.

Yes more care could have (and will be!) taken, but there are times when that is not possible. In water emergency kit changes are a skill practiced by military divers for good reason. I'm all for a sleeker diver (that's still heavy enough to be useful in the hurly-burly of course :lol: )

Well placed topic even here, Colin. :)

I have long argued that flushness is a comparative advatage in a watch when working in a cramped environment (like an airplane cockpit), or with lots of gear straps around ... personally I think that the smallness of many WWII era watches took that factor into account.

"In your face protrusions" in toolwatches would have been considered most impractical in most times save our own. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

In terms of pure ergonomic design, I think this one takes a lot of beating.

Eddie

In terms of pure ergonomic design, I think this one takes a lot of beating.

Eddie

This one's not bad either.

john

Grand Master
    On the subject of flatness, I recently learned that Sinn manage to control the height of the 656 (under 11 millimeteres) by making the caseback from antimagnetic steel ... so the caseback itself doubles as the antimagnetic cover of the soft-iron cage. That must shave 1 or 2 millimeters off the overall height.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

On the subject of flatness, I recently learned that Sinn manage to control the height of the 656 (under 11 millimeteres) by making the caseback from antimagnetic steel ... so the caseback itself doubles as the antimagnetic cover of the soft-iron cage. That must shave 1 or 2 millimeters off the overall height.
    Fricker told me that the anti-magnetic dust cover adds 1.2mm to the thickness of the watch. The 2892 is 3.6mm thick versus 4.6mm for the 2824 so by using the 2892 instead of the 2824, we can lose almost all the extra needed for the anti-magnetic cover.

Eddie

Grand Master
    Fricker told me that the anti-magnetic dust cover adds 1.2mm to the thickness of the watch. The 2892 is 3.6mm thick versus 4.6mm for the 2824 so by using the 2892 instead of the 2824, we can lose almost all the extra needed for the anti-magnetic cover.

Eddie
    Sounds like an excellent plan, Eddie. :)

I assume that is the reason why IWC use the 2892 base in the Mark XV/XVI (separate antimagnetic cover) as well instead of the 2824.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thomas Reid
    Antimagetic steel is magnetically transparent. It doesn't become magnetized, but offers no magnetic protection to anything it envelopes. At least that is my understanding.

Soft-iron is easily magnetized, which is what allows it to protect what it envelopes.

So, do they have something like soft-iron, but only hard?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Yes.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thomas Reid
    Yes.
    Or, perhaps standard steel bonded to something like mu metal?
    Magnetic Shielding

Mu Metal FAQ

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    Or, perhaps standard steel bonded to something like mu metal?
    The 656 caseback is not a composite material ... Mr. Schmidt said that they managed to make the shielding material the same look and hardness as the rest of the case (316L material).

Apparently a major hurdle in the production of antimagnetic watches is the dial, by the way (the movement ring is not a great challenge, by comparison). The dial-makers need massive help from Sinn to put the dial print onto the antimagnetic dials which obviously have different properties from brass (or whatever material is used) dials..
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Journeyman

that's great news

I think a more traditional Mk XI or XII style dial with extended hour markers would look nicer. If it is to have a date window :) I think a 3 o'clock spot is better.
    a nice SEL bracelet ala IWC would be great.
    38mm size would be perfect. anything larger would not be as good IMHO.