closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dating a PRS-82

Dating a PRS-82

Ladies and gents, I’m in discussion with another forum member about possible sale of my PRS-82; he’s asked about its age. I’m more than 50% sure I bought it from someone on the forum but can’t find the original sale thread and also can’t locate the warranty card- I think on balance I must have bought it as a loose watch. Based on the serial number in the pic below can anyone (in the absence of the Boss as I gather he’s still convalescing) shed any light?

Many thanks in advance.

Dating a PRS-82

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Ladies and gents, I’m in discussion with another forum member about possible sale of my PRS-82; he’s asked about its age. I’m more than 50% sure I bought it from someone on the forum but can’t find the original sale thread and also can’t locate the warranty card- I think on balance I must have bought it as a loose watch. Based on the serial number in the pic below can anyone (in the absence of the Boss as I gather he’s still convalescing) shed any light?

Many thanks in advance.

Last three digits should be the serial

Offhand looks like one of the first 500 with the 2783 movement.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...n)-owners-list

I have noticed that the first part of the serial is different across some models. Mine is one of the very first and my serial starts 1307...

Yours starts with 14...
    I have seen others with 16... on eBay

Offhand I think the leading numbers are the date of manufacture because mine was bought in 2013, so yours is probably 2014.

Hope that helps

You should be able to tell the movement by listening / watching the seconds hand. The 2783 movement ticks slower than the later 2824. (6Hz vs 8Hz). One is not better than the other, it comes down to personal preference. Myself I prefer the 2783.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkrzw3iAPTo

I’m not 100% sure on the assertion that leading digits are manufacturing date, there’s a 16xxxx on eBay that claims to have a 2783 and I thought they were sold through by then.

Many thanks Sir- much appreciate your reply

Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    I’m not 100% sure on the assertion that leading digits are manufacturing date, there’s a 16xxxx on eBay that claims to have a 2783 and I thought they were sold through by then.
    2017 was the year they had the 2824, before that they were all 2783.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".