closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still playing with a possible Speedbird 3

Still playing with a possible Speedbird 3

This time by Fricker with 80,000 A/m, 100 metres and usual high quality case. Possibly a good bracelet too.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Very nice and very tempting. I think you should seriously consider this scenario. The market is there for such a watch, and I think producing this Speedbird would be the next step in the evolution of the SB line.

VA

I love it

This is just how I want it!!

Preferably 40 mm with a 20 mm lug spacing - like the SB1903 :)

Craftsman

That's the one!

I'm in on that layout! I'd prefer a 38mm case; not too big, not too small.

Great! Would be in.... 38mm would be just fine.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I'm looking at 39mm with 20mm lugs.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

80,000 A/m - You mean quartz? Why?

Love the case - and I'd vote 40 mm size. The dial is also nice and simple. The hands look mismatched to me - why the square ended hour hand?

Master
    Beautiful :D I agree that 38 mm diameter and 20 mm lug spacing would be the right measures for a daily & dress multi-role watch like that. A BOR bracelet would surely prove a popular option :P

I do like the spatula type hour hand 8)

Cheers,
    Gert

PS: you would include the 3 on the dial, right :wink: ? GB

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quoll
    80,000 A/m - You mean quartz? Why?

Love the case - and I'd vote 40 mm size. The dial is also nice and simple. The hands look mismatched to me - why the square ended hour hand?
    Isn't this referring to a soft iron surround to the movement to increase the anti magnetic properties of the watch?
    Cheers,
    Martin :?

I agree, with a pointed hour hand it would suit my taste perfectly.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Gert

OK - own up. How many of us had missed that the 3 was missing? I confess I had.

39 mm with 20 mm lug spacing is just perfect!!!

I like the square hour hand - keep it :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Gert

OK - own up. How many of us had missed that the 3 was missing? I confess I had.
    3 corrected, I ran out of chalk yesterday. :wink:

Eddie

Damn, I'd buy that in a heartbeat!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Looks great.

I like it as is. Size at 38/39 is fine; much bigger, would be too large for my tastes. The hands imho are perfect-in keeping with the classics of it etc..

It looks to be an excellent addition to the stable, overall.

Looking forward to seeing it come to life, (hopefully).

Sincerely,

Pottinger :D

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Perfect :D

I've been thinking seriously about a Mk11 homage with a date - but was finding it hard to know where to go for one. I am reluctant to buy MkII from the US because of customs etc issues and of course the Speedbird 1 is no longer available here (I also am not sure about black hands on SB1) so am delighted to see what you're proposing Eddie - I will want one.

Please don't go too large on this - these watches were not large to start with and, while I'd be happy enough with 39mm, would probably not buy any larger. As I've bought several WWWs over the last months I've really come to appreciate watches of 35 to 38mm size as they are generally more comfortable than larger watches which rattle around on the wrist.

I like the date at the bottom - it doesn't break up the proportions of the dial as much as one at 3 o'clock.

Good luck with this!! And please can we have silver, not black, hands? Please don't change teh hands style - those are what I'm after!! :)

The hands WILL be silver.

Eddie

Craftsman

WOW

WOW :shock: :thumbright:

That looks just perfect. 39 or 40mm would be wonderful - I finally sold my PRS-1 as it was just a little too small. 20mm lugs wuold be great, too. Looking good. 8)

Err, silly me, I've just realised it's quartz - any chance of a hand-wound mechanical version in due course Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by davide
    Err, silly me, I've just realised it's quartz - any chance of a hand-wound mechanical version in due course Eddie?
    Why would you think it's quartz? I never mentioned the movement but I was considering the 2892.

Eddie

Master
    There was an earlier ref. to quartz, but it was really a ref. to the anti-mag prop..

I agree with the size comments above; too big and it rather gets away from the style of the watch, too small and it is not so clear as it would be. 20mm is a useful strap size, imo.

I've been after one like this for a while-with the dn rating, too. This one could really fly!

Best Wishes,

Pottinger :)

The date position, as Davide writes, is a good point, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Why would you think it's quartz? I never mentioned the movement but I was considering the 2892.

Eddie
    2892 would be cool. I really like the look of this, Eddie, when do you want my cash? :D
    Dave E

Master
    What would the difference in cost be for the really high-grade mvt version, if it were in this watch. These were orignally designed for very high accurracy to chonometer standard. I'not, I hasten to add, advocating a chonometer rating for this, though that is of course a decision that rests not with me, but perhaps if the price is 'right' and it is popular, a really good mvt version, as they come in several grades, I am led to beleive, would be apt as well as a very attracive functionable feature?

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

It will be a great watch imo, as these are good movements, even if with a regular mvt spec. I have no idea on the cost differential, in any case.

Craftsman
    I also am excited by this model Eddie.

Whilst I love my Speedbird 1, with a slight increase in case size, improved anti-magnetic properties and the addition of a date wheel (black background!) this is indeed the model I had hoped it would evolve into.

I am not bothered about a metal bracelet for this watch as I feel it will be mainly worn on a Nato or leather strap - I think most people wear their SB 1's that way.

One small point though is that I would like to see the date moved from the six-o'clock position if possible.

Regards,

Michael.

Master
    love it! Second the thoughts about a high(er)-quality movement as well.

Cheers

I really like the date at 6, please keep that feature!

I like the slight increase in size over the Speedbird I/II, as long as it doesn't get too much longer lug-to-lug. Will it have the domed crystal still?
    Dave E

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Damn, I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Me too, but fear tachycardia (perhaps I also 'need' a doctor's watch!)

Gorgeous watch that will be on my list (especially at the arger - 39mm - dia.)

Journeyman
    I have been always hoping there would be more Speedbirds. Eddie, please pursue this project. I like the design very much, including the hands (although I would welcome the possibility of choosing a different second hand colour). The size is pefect and so is the position of the date window. I definitely think it should have a domed crystal and AR coating would be highly desireable (at least as an option).

Best wishes,

Pawel

Eddie
    Sorry Eddie - I saw the previous mention and the 80,000 A/m and assumed that was something to do with quartz :shock:

You're dealing with a total watch ignoramus here

Journeyman
    I Like, I Want! :D

Note to highlight - Eddie, Please keep the crown of SB 3 similart to SB 1. The Crown of SB 2 is diffrent from SB 1 and i personally feel that the thicker and bigger crown of SB 1 is nicer. :o

Watches to Buy list ever growing

1. Dornbleuth Cal 99.0 (ordered in April)
    2. Italian Precista MM (ordered no 18/100)
    3. DN GMT
    4. SB 3

Keep them coming, Eddie! I am going to be dead broke for this X mas. LOL and is all down to being a helpless watch addict. :wink:

JamJeow
    Singapore

mhoutman
    very nice,

reminds a bit of a IWC Mk XV and Mk XVI. Not too big please :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by mhoutman
    very nice,

reminds a bit of a IWC Mk XV and Mk XVI. Not too big please :wink:
    :shock: Now you mention it, it does a bit. :wink:

Eddie

I'm looking at 39mm with 20mm lugs.

Eddie
    That is an excellent ?spot on? combination. 40mm is too much for this type of watch.

This time by Fricker with 80,000 A/m, 100 metres and usual high quality case. ................

Eddie
    Are we talking better case quality than (let?s say) the PRS-53?

Quote Originally Posted by jamjeow

Note to highlight - Eddie, Please keep the crown of SB 3 similart to SB 1. The Crown of SB 2 is diffrent from SB 1 and i personally feel that the thicker and bigger crown of SB 1 is nicer. :o

The crown on the watch in the picture looks like ?a quality crown? ... it is very important for the watch to have a ?quality looking? crown ... and hands. Did you actually mean ?silver? hands as in the Ag element?

The ?SS looking? hands on many high quality watches like Rolex and IWC are actually white gold. It would be interesting to know how much such a detail adds to the price of a watch like the SB-3.

Would I buy one? Yes, I probably would. Especially if you keep the dial sterile and put all 'your stuff' at the back. :wink:

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Very nice watch! I would buy it.

Eddie
    What would be the advantage of using the 2892 over the 2824? The usual reason for using the former (other than it's more expensive and deemed superior by some) is that it is a thinner movement to go in slimmer dress watches. It would be a nice change though.

Quote Originally Posted by sdevans1

What would be the advantage of using the 2892 over the 2824? The usual reason for using the former (other than it's more expensive and deemed superior by some) is that it is a thinner movement to go in slimmer dress watches. It would be a nice change though.
    For those who haven't seen them, these are two excellent articles on the movements concerned and gives comparisons between the two.

http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html
    http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2824/eta2824.html

I agree, the 2892 will be a nice change.

john

I would like to use the 2892 because I want it chronometer grade but the main reason is that I would like to keep it to a maximum 11mm thick with the anti-magnetic cage and dust cover. Probably the only criticism owners of Bill Yao's Quad 10 have is that it's too thick.

Eddie

Master
    Chonometer grade sounds excellent! :D

I agree with Burak re. leather strap usually used- I prefer it that way, too.

However, the homage's original type was issued with a bonclip, if one looks at it form this perspective, and also, some prefer metal bracelets, too.

Bonclip style bracelets are not so popular, but they are v., v. comfortable. I have one of the NSA straps; perhaps a brushed-steel version would be an idea? They are very comfortable, not greatly dissimlar to the bonclip, and subtle and light enough for this style, perhaps. There are so many possibilities!... :shock:

Overall, I like a leather strap, but a meatal designation may be fun, functionalbe and a welcome change/feature of this watch either by 'issue' or 'designation' to complete the identity. Surely we will find other straps to marry with it :lol:

Sincerely,

:thumbright: :salute: :hello1: :hello1: :salute: :thumbleft:
    Your choice of case size, lug width and 2892 movement rocks! Just remember to keep that 'big crown' look from the SB-1 (the crowns on the SB-II and PRS-14 are too small, IMHO)

Bigger than the SB-1, more sterile dial than the SB-II, better lug width than either, better movement than anything close in price (no doubt), and thinner and less clunky than the Quad 10. Hey, what's not to love here?
    :love4: :love10: :love4: :love10: :love4:

Will this be a Ltd. Edition? Please give me some lead time before this comes out to unload my current Speedbirds and Yao Quad 10!! :shock: :twisted: :D

I didn't propose making it a limited edition Brian, it's another one I would like to keep in the range.

Eddie

I really love this type of watch.
    If you produce it, I will buy one for sure!!!

Master
    Just another vote for a large enough crown, I too feel that both Speedbird II and PRS-14 have crowns that are too small.

Kevin

Journeyman
    I will definitely get one of these if, as pictured, the dial is sterile, the hour hand flat and the case satinised or beadblasted.

Cheers cb40

Quote Originally Posted by cb40
    I will definitely get one of these if, as pictured, the dial is sterile, the hour hand flat and the case satinised or beadblasted.

Cheers cb40
    Well spotted cb40 ... I would like the case lightly brushed ... or a mixture of brushed and polished. (The PRS-53 has a nice finish)

I would also like to see reinforced acrylic.

john

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Big crown :D Mmmmmm me like!!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by cb40

Cheers cb40
    Well spotted cb40 ... I would like the case lightly brushed ... or a mixture of brushed and polished. (The PRS-53 has a nice finish)

john
    A la SB1?

Craftsman

Speedbird 3

Eddie

The look is classic, but there are any number of watches out there which look like that. So why should someone want this inparticular over other similar designs.

I think for it to be successfull it will have to offer somthing extra. Most of the Mk11 homages arround are only hommages, not the real article in terms of spec. If your watch was true to the original spec, ie Antimagnetic (as you have stated), chronometer rated, negative pressure rated crystal, fixed bars, then I think you will have created somthing very special. Anything else and you would just be covering old ground.

I think a SB3 specced as above would be a rival for the Sinn 656 or IWC MkXV.

These are of course only opinions, and I will surely be berated for them, but they are food for thought and intended to get the discussions going.

Not withstanding the above I am currently wearing SB1/052 and will be wearing SB1903/007 tomorrow. If SB3 does not offer anythig more, I dont think I could justify buying one!

Light the blue touch paper and stand well back!!!!!!!!!!

Master
    The anti mag is a sig. advantage over other homages, incl, the Orfina, tho the sinn is anti mag, the dial on this is nicer and truer to the orig. in reason and execution according to the pic, imho.

Fixed bars are an interesting idea, but may be more trouble than they are worth, imho. THe date function is a welcome upgrade.

As Eddie wrote, he intends amongst others, the chonometer rated mvt (tho I suspect that certifying it may be an unnecc. exp.) for serious consideration.

As a matter of overall 'watch' it looks to be great value and not just that, but a true reflection of the orignal, with subtle yet v. functional additions or improvements (e.g. case material, date window, mvt in some respects)

If the dial is uncluttered, the watch with the attributes that are intended for it, it will outclass the other ones similar in many depts., including the overall realization of it (which includes cost). Could be the 'air-superiority watch' to condent with :D

Sincerely,

P.S. Undecided re. cover material.

The double ant-refl coating is an idea, tho the simplicity and easy of maintenance of other crystal has functionalble properties that go well with the underlying ethos of the watch design. Am open to sugg. on that in particular.

Large crown is a good idea. Nice feature of a WWII Longines for FAA, Makes it part. special and more functionalble. Very stylish imho.