closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquadive

Master

Aquadive

This iconic watch is back. Here is the model I am wearing...

Aquadive Bathyscaphe 100

http://www.aquadive.com/

Re: Aquadive

Congratulations Bill, that looks better than their site promised!

I hadn't appreciated it was 3000m either :shock:
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray

100ATM, c1000m, c3300ft. Approx 103kg/cm2 (or just under 1,500 psi in old money).

A classic dive watch. Truly classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard

100ATM, c1000m, c3300ft. Approx 103kg/cm2(or just under 1,500 psi in old money).

So it is, and stated as 100 in the post too :roll: It does look like the 300atm model though!
    Gray

That is one heck of a case! :P

Very very nice Bill! :)

Blog Entries

That is indeed a very nice piece 8)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

love it.
    so now and then there's a watch from wich i think i want one ..... this is one of them!!!

really nice, i'm considering a vintage/ retro diver and this might fit the bill! thanks for posting :thumbleft:

I've had a few Aquadives in the past and absolutely love the look of them 8) Not sure my skinny wrist could carry off one of the big ones and they really look the mutts nuts but the NOS Vintage one on the website is absolutely stunning 8) and it would fit me perfectly :) (Just wish I had a spare $800 :( )

EDIT : Just looked at the pictures of the museum watches and one identical to my old one is on it, forgot how good it looked, why did I sell it ? :cry:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Craftsman

Dont think I've seen one of these before, very nice and classic looks .Congrats

Master

A beautiful vintage diver revived...stunning

Craftsman

I like this one very, very much.

Is this the genuine resurrection of the original company or is it merely a new company that has acquired the trademark, bought a few vintage watches and vintage adverts, and then made some new watches that look a bit like the originals in a similar fashion to Doxa?

For that matter, given the similarity between vintage Jenny (who now own Doxa) watches and vintage Aquadives, and also the fact that Aquadive now have an official forum on WUS as do Doxa, are Doxa the new owners of Aquadive?

100ATM, c1000m, c3300ft. Approx 103kg/cm2(or just under 1,500 psi in old money).

So it is, and stated as 100 in the post too :roll: It does look like the 300atm model though!
    The 300ATM version is a monster.

Quite like these. With all the other micro brands plundering the past, it's good to see an old name back again - even if it's slightly reminiscent of the new Squales - good, but just *slightly* off target. Of course, I'm sure all that will change as soon as I get one on my wrist!

M

Craftsman

Well done Bill it looks superb !

Quote Originally Posted by W. C. Bartlett
    This iconic watch is back. Here is the model I am wearing...

Aquadive Bathyscaphe 100

http://www.aquadive.com/
    I do like the look of that!
    Classic.
    Hmmm....maybe another on my list! :D

Master

The 100 and 300 are identical except for size, the 100 that I have worn all week is 42mm, the 300 is 47mm.

Master

Aquadive and Doxa are completely different and separate companies and maufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord
    Is this the genuine resurrection of the original company or is it merely a new company that has acquired the trademark, bought a few vintage watches and vintage adverts, and then made some new watches that look a bit like the originals in a similar fashion to Doxa?

For that matter, given the similarity between vintage Jenny (who now own Doxa) watches and vintage Aquadives, and also the fact that Aquadive now have an official forum on WUS as do Doxa, are Doxa the new owners of Aquadive?

Master

Just got a comparison shot of the BS100 and BS300 and thought you guys might be interested..

Master

lovely watch Bill,looks like another for the list!
    i know youve owned uts watches in the past,how does this compare in fit,finish and quality in your opinion?

cheers,craig

Master

UTS is a respected watch company in the community and constructed like a tank as we all know. I have a UTS 3000m which I consider a keeper. Both watches are different in design but are built to take a beating. However, I am sure you will agree that the 100 and 300 are far to pretty to beat the hell out of it. Fit wise they are comparable, I have my UTS on an all black with a black Ted Su strap and ceramic buckle and it's impossible to have an uncomfortable watch with that strap. Price wise, you will have to pay triple for UTS, the Aquadive is well build, has a great retro design and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2
    lovely watch Bill,looks like another for the list!
    i know youve owned uts watches in the past,how does this compare in fit,finish and quality in your opinion?

cheers,craig

Master

thanks Bill,

i have a 3000m UTS in pvd and wear it solely on the isofrane and just sold the 1000mv2 which i already regret. i really like the look of the aquadive but im ashamed to say i know nothing of their history(but i'll definitely be doing my homework)it does look a fantastic watch and for the money, german and swiss made too. i have the Aegir coming shortly but ive a feeling one of these wont be far behind.

cheers,craig

So what is your connection with Aquadive then, or are you just peddling their watches all over the watch forums out of the goodness of your heart? :wink:

I actually like the look of the Bathyscapes. However, in a market already saturated with "me too" boutique divers and resurrected manufacturers having no relation to the original company other than the purchase of a trade mark, the watches would have been be more distinctive if they had incorporated depth measuring means like the original Aquadive Time Depth. The prices would be more justifiable too.

I think I'll stick with my collection of vintage Aquadives.

Aquadive and Doxa are completely different and separate companies and maufacturing.

Master

Here is a comparison shot of the BS 100 42mm and the BS 300 47mm.

Master

I am an unpaid moderator in the Aquadive forum...

So what is your connection with Aquadive then, or are you just peddling their watches all over the watch forums out of the goodness of your heart? :wink:

I actually like the look of the Bathyscapes. However, in a market already saturated with "me too" boutique divers and resurrected manufacturers having no relation to the original company other than the purchase of a trade mark, the watches would have been be more distinctive if they had incorporated depth measuring means like the original Aquadive Time Depth. The prices would be more justifiable too.

I think I'll stick with my collection of vintage Aquadives.

It certainly looks nice. I think they may struggle though. The spelling-mistake infested website is a major turn off for a start. Also eerily reminiscent of another amateurly-marketed resuscitated retro dive watch internet brand. What hope is there for their QC if they don't even care enough to run their official marketing materials through a spell checker.

The pricing, with the standard made-up "store" price attempting to give the impression of a deep discount, is from the same play book. $2000 though, for an ETA 2824, a simple machined steel case, and no bracelet ? The dial must be very costly ... :?

Paul

Absolute classic watch and great value for money thankyou for sharing Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    The pricing, with the standard made-up "store" price attempting to give the impression of a deep discount, is from the same play book. $2000 though, for an ETA 2824, a simple machined steel case, and no bracelet ? The dial must be very costly ... :?

Paul
    Agreed.

Too much money for what it is even with the tenuous link to the past as I guess it is just a modern sans bracelet "reincarnation" by a new company.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Came across these the other day on a watch blog. Look great. Let's see a photo of the beast on your wrist. How big does I look and feel?

It will be interesting to see the used prices on these. $1200?

Master

How does this differentiate from the several small brands that have similar cases? Apart from being more expensive since it's German made not Chinese?

Master

Here is a teaser...

The 300ATM version is a monster.

Quite like these. With all the other micro brands plundering the past, it's good to see an old name back again - even if it's slightly reminiscent of the new Squales - good, but just *slightly* off target. Of course, I'm sure all that will change as soon as I get one on my wrist!

M

Master

Aquadive orininated the case in 1962 and uses a Swiss movement.

Quote Originally Posted by mark a.
    How does this differentiate from the several small brands that have similar cases? Apart from being more expensive since it's German made not Chinese?

I just get confused. Jenny made the original Aquadives if I recall. Jenny now own Doxa. These Aquadives are made by Synchron, Vienna, Austria. Synchron ( in a different guise ) used to make Doxas. Doxa's billing goes through Vienna. There is a "Doxa Synchron" company registered in the US ( http://www.manta.com/c/mm0vvst/doxa-wat ... a-synchron ) as a watch wholesaler.

Most importantly, neither company can spell !

Is there any connection between the current reissue Doxa and the current reissue Aquadives ? ( Is Rick Marei, the guy who kickstarted the Doxa resurrection, involved perhaps ? )

Confused

Paul

Master

Let me guess, you like Speedmasters.

[quote=Neil.C]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Tokyo Tokei":2fnwcklb

Paul
    Agreed.

Too much money for what it is even with the tenuous link to the past as I guess it is just a modern sans bracelet "reincarnation" by a new company.[/quote:2fnwcklb]

Is there any connection between the current reissue Doxa and the current reissue Aquadives ? ( Is Rick Marei, the guy who kickstarted the Doxa resurrection, involved perhaps ? )
    After I wrote this I pondered over to WUS to have a look at the forum, and found I was not the only one confused. The forum received an official Aquadive answer to someone who posed a very similar question. Quoting it here as I find it revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by The official Aquadive
    No watch brand - whether it be boutique or industry giant such as Rolex - owes anyone an explanation beyond warranty/return/refund info. The watch business is fiercely competitive, especially the boutique business. Many of the flame wars and conspiracy theories on this forum and other fringe forums; are simply due to blind brand loyalty, ignorance, and competing boutique brand owners encouraging & supporting such behavior with free watches and/or discounts to the offending posters, or to simply sabotage competitors.

No manufacturer has to have a brand sponsored forum here either. Aquadive - or any other boutique brand for that matter - could have their own forum hosted on their own website. So they don't need to come here and offer full disclosure to anyone. And good luck getting Rolex or any other brand to give you full disclosure on all the intimate details of how and where they do business. You don't deserve it, and there are trade/industry secrets that don't need to be divulged to anyone in this highly competitive - yet secretive - business.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, plain and simple... This isn't Burger King have it your way, and the Swiss watch industry doesn't operate on US rules or customs. If you think you can do better, then instead of bashing or creating conspiracies (something any monkey can do), then take the six figure (or larger) sum out of your bank account, or secure funding/loans from your local bank (good luck on that!), and fly to Switzerland and have your own watch line made to your specs, and give full disclosure to all your customers and competitors once you're done. And once again, good luck on that!

The last time I checked, Rick hasn't been an employee of DOXA his entire professional career, and he's also not an indentured servant of DOXA's. So I would imagine he is and free and clear to do what he wants. So who/what/when/where and why he or any of his silent business partners bought the rights to any vintage watch brand, doesn't matter.

Don't be a sheep, be a wolf. Make an informed and educated (that means buying and owning the watches, not going by what the masses say here) decision and evaluate the product, and don't swallow all the poison Kool-Aid in the process. I've owned over 350 dive watches (from Pulsar to Panerai, and Invicta to Rolex) since 2003, and I never let what's written here influence my purchasing decision, or fair and balanced evaluation of watches/brands.

And if that doesn't spell it out clear enough, then haters are gonna hate...
    I will take this advice, and wolf-like, have made my informed and educated decision.

Paul

[quote=W. C. Bartlett]Let me guess, you like Speedmasters.

[quote="Neil.C":14x0v1gx]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Tokyo Tokei":14x0v1gx

Paul
    Agreed.

Too much money for what it is even with the tenuous link to the past as I guess it is just a modern sans bracelet "reincarnation" by a new company.[/quote:14x0v1gx][/quote:14x0v1gx]

No guesswork required but not all Speedmasters no.

I have blind allegiance to nothing but then I am not trying to sell something.

You can carry on with the advertorial now. :P
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Synchron have been the owners of the Aquadive trademark since 2008.

I personally would like to see Jenny reissue the Caribbean line in all it's iterations.

[quote=Tokyo Tokei]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Tokyo Tokei":5cxa04ap
    After I wrote this I pondered over to WUS to have a look at the forum, and found I was not the only one confused. The forum received an official Aquadive answer to someone who posed a very similar question. Quoting it here as I find it revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by The official Aquadive
    No watch brand - whether it be boutique or industry giant such as Rolex - owes anyone an explanation beyond warranty/return/refund info. The watch business is fiercely competitive, especially the boutique business. Many of the flame wars and conspiracy theories on this forum and other fringe forums; are simply due to blind brand loyalty, ignorance, and competing boutique brand owners encouraging & supporting such behavior with free watches and/or discounts to the offending posters, or to simply sabotage competitors.

No manufacturer has to have a brand sponsored forum here either. Aquadive - or any other boutique brand for that matter - could have their own forum hosted on their own website. So they don't need to come here and offer full disclosure to anyone. And good luck getting Rolex or any other brand to give you full disclosure on all the intimate details of how and where they do business. You don't deserve it, and there are trade/industry secrets that don't need to be divulged to anyone in this highly competitive - yet secretive - business.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, plain and simple... This isn't Burger King have it your way, and the Swiss watch industry doesn't operate on US rules or customs. If you think you can do better, then instead of bashing or creating conspiracies (something any monkey can do), then take the six figure (or larger) sum out of your bank account, or secure funding/loans from your local bank (good luck on that!), and fly to Switzerland and have your own watch line made to your specs, and give full disclosure to all your customers and competitors once you're done. And once again, good luck on that!

The last time I checked, Rick hasn't been an employee of DOXA his entire professional career, and he's also not an indentured servant of DOXA's. So I would imagine he is and free and clear to do what he wants. So who/what/when/where and why he or any of his silent business partners bought the rights to any vintage watch brand, doesn't matter.

Don't be a sheep, be a wolf. Make an informed and educated (that means buying and owning the watches, not going by what the masses say here) decision and evaluate the product, and don't swallow all the poison Kool-Aid in the process. I've owned over 350 dive watches (from Pulsar to Panerai, and Invicta to Rolex) since 2003, and I never let what's written here influence my purchasing decision, or fair and balanced evaluation of watches/brands.

And if that doesn't spell it out clear enough, then haters are gonna hate...
    I will take this advice, and wolf-like, have made my informed and educated decision.

Paul[/quote:5cxa04ap]

Master

Ha ha, telling their fans that they don't deserve to know anything about the company, they're trying to be sheep and that they should be grateful that the forum exists in the first place? Must be related to Doxa, then.

Ha ha, telling their fans that they don't deserve to know anything about the company, they're trying to be sheep and that they should be grateful that the forum exists in the first place? Must be related to Doxa, then.
    It looks that way doesn't it?

If I was seriously thinking about buying an Aquadive watch; then reading that official Aquadive statement from WUS would persuade me to give them a very wide berth.

I have read similar paranoid, overly defensive, unprofessional and rambling statements from other "boutique brands" on WUS, that IMHO do both them and WUS damage to their business image.
    Some of these boutique brands really need to start employing paid and skilled communication and PR people to manage their spelling, forum and public image if they expect to be taken seriously when attempting to market themselves on a brand, a tradition, a reputation and at a base level; a company you would be comfortable to hand over a couple of thousand dollars to purchase their product.

An official statement of such terrible quality, makes it clear to me which direction any sheep would be travelling.

Aquadive

A bit of a Ratner moment for Aquadive ;-)

Silly as many of the points are valid and didn't need to be delivered wrapped in crass vitriol.
    Gray

There's a lot more on that WUS thread about the company, including an intriguing mention of a "fairly large industrial British/Austrian Holding, that had the financial power to reintroduce the brand to the market".

Can someone post a linky ? Please :)
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/aquadi ... 09348.html

In the thread, Rick Marei pops up and admits he is an officer of Synchron ( the Aquadive producers ). His post is under the user account "Doxa SA"....

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/aquadi ... 09348.html

In the thread, Rick Marei pops up and admits he is an officer of Synchron ( the Aquadive producers ). His post is under the user account "Doxa SA"....

Paul
    Thanks Paul ;)
    Cheers

Simon

It looks that way doesn't it?
    I seem to see the reflection of Kowloon Bay in the crystal.

Master

The thing with that thread is that Rick's answer was good. He was open, honest (as much as it's possible to tell) about the complex structure and history of Doxa, Synchron, Aquadive, Isofrane etc. I liked that and it cleared the air somewhat. We all know that most brands are playing on a bought history so it's refreshing to see someone being candid about it.

Then Mr. Aquadive comes along and tells everyone to stop asking questions, that we should be honoured by their forum presence and that Aquadive are not going to say anything to anyone because you're all meanies. But buy out stuff anyway, you bastards.

The thing with that thread is that Rick's answer was good. He was open, honest (as much as it's possible to tell) about the complex structure and history of Doxa, Synchron, Aquadive, Isofrane etc. I liked that and it cleared the air somewhat. We all know that most brands are playing on a bought history so it's refreshing to see someone being candid about it.

Then Mr. Aquadive comes along and tells everyone to stop asking questions, that we should be honoured by their forum presence and that Aquadive are not going to say anything to anyone because you're all meanies. But buy our stuff anyway, you bastards.
    I think that just about sums it up.
    Gray