closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I like this Longines, but it's small

I like this Longines, but it's small

LA GRANDE CLASSIQUE

I wonder what's with the "SWISS" on the dial rather than "SWISS MADE"?

Problem is the SIZE.

MOVEMENT
    Automatic movement
    CASE
    Stainless steel PVD
    CASE SIZE
    34mm
    DIAL(FACE) COLOR
    Gold dial with stick markers
    BRACELET
    Stainless steel
    CLASP
    Invisible double locking
    CRYSTAL
    Sapphire Crystal
    WATER RESISTANCE
    30 meters( 100 feet)

most of my watches are around 34-36mm .. you get used to the size very quickly so i wouldnt let that put you off

Master
    Very Nomos-esque, not a bad thing.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by omegaUK
    most of my watches are around 34-36mm .. you get used to the size very quickly so i wouldnt let that put you off
    Well, I've gone as low as a Zeno Explorer, but that has 20mm lugs and is thick.

My wrist is a bit more than 8" around......

That Longines is almost $1000 and probably grey market so I doubt I will spring for it now, but it's bookmarked. :wink:

I didn't know they came in auto ... see if you can get a SS version from your source.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    I didn't know they came in auto ... see if you can get a SS version from your source.

john
    They have it, but I like the gold. If I ever got one it would be a dress watch and I already have a Tissot LeLocle in SS....

The SS version is more "honest" I admit, and if it were solid gold the things would be WAY out of my league. A shame really as I would love a solid gold bracelet watch for those special occasions...

I do wonder though how good gold PVD is, longevity wise. :?:

It is a gray market dealer, but they do not mess with serial numbers and ship internationally. ;-) I've never bought from them so I can't recommend.

They also have this similar model but I like the T-bar and bracelet on the other one a bit better.

Master
    Nice watches. 34 mm is a very appropriate size for a gent's dress watch :D I mean, you're no looking for yet another hockey-puck of a tool watch for the intended use :wink: And with a minimal bezel, you get a pretty large, legible face. Have fun contemplating!

Cheers,
    Gert

I followed the link you gave ... there's a quartz one at 37mm.

I don?t know if you have seen these watches in the flesh ... the crystal is quite curved giving an impression that is closer to the Orion (Nomos) than the Tangente.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

I have not seen these in person. No.

I hear what Gert is saying about the large dial - I guess even a 34mm watch with a large dial "looks" larger.

I just can't do quartz...... 8)

Too bad they don't make the auto in 37mm though, as that or 38-39 are perfect for me. I should eventually find a brick n mortar Longines dealer and try one.

I do wonder though how good gold PVD is...... :?: :?: :?:

Re: I like this Longines, but it's small

Quote Originally Posted by worlok

I wonder what's with the "SWISS" on the dial rather than "SWISS MADE"?

Problem is the SIZE.

It isn't small. It's a dress watch!! They are not supposed to be big and ugly looking. They also have to fit neatly and comfortably under a shirt cuff. Of course it looks smaller than your typical 'tool' watch, but many people find that 34-37mm is an ideal size for this type of watch. Longines are very good value compared to some names I could mention; but you will always pay a premium for gold or diamonds (yuch!) whatever the name on the dial.
    I believe that 'SWISS' and 'SWISS MADE' have identical meanings and it is purely down to the manufacturer which they use.
    The 37mm varients from this range look great on the wrist. They do not look small by any stretch of the imagination.

BTW these are nice with the acrylic crystal and vintagey looks.

Master
    T-bars? Do you like them on women, too?

BTW I'm leaning towards this one as it's solid 18K but a bit over a grand so it will be sometime - which will confirm if I really like the style. It's better to have to ponder it rather than make a hasty purchase.

This one is pushing it though as it says 33.5mm. Yikes! It was the only one that was both solid 18K case AND automatic movt. :?

I think that Swatch dictates what they make so as to not threaten the higher end brands in the group. Yeah, you can make a solid gold auto but make it really small..... :wink:

Worlok, I am not sure what exactly you are looking for ... but for that kind of money you can exceptional gold stuff on the S/H and slightly vintage NOS.

Look around.

john

Master
    Worlok, I am not sure what exactly you are looking for ... but for that kind of money you can exceptional gold stuff on the S/H and slightly vintage NOS.
    Look around.
    john
    Seconded! To buy new would be to waste money. A grand and a bit will take you horologically quite high on the so-called 'vintage' market.

Thirded!

Plenty of nice gold vintage watches around Tom and far better value.

I picked this Eterna-Matic up recently in mint condition.

Running fast, so waiting for my watch mangler.

Cheers,
    Neil.

IT's funny. I wrote that last one and went to bed last night. I get up this morning and tell myself that there must be similar ones in solid gold but vintage.... I check on vintage site and find a few. I check this forum to see some replies to that same effect. :lol:

I have one site which is somewhat local to me, but some of his prices are high. If you know of any online sites that are US based and sell nice vintage watches then please by all means list them.

:)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Thirded!
    Plenty of nice gold vintage watches around Tom and far better value.
    I picked this Eterna-Matic up recently in mint condition.
    Running fast, so waiting for my watch mangler.

An elegant, classic example of a horologically very respectable watch that's available for reasonable money.

Tick per pound, it's much better value than a new Longines.

........... If you know of any online sites that are US based and sell nice vintage watches then please by all means list them.

:)

Yesterday, after a few minutes I found this gold Longines for $300 second from the bottom here:
    http://www.thewatchstore.com/store/200-FM.html

I am not saying you should get it (I feel it could do with a dial cleanup) but it gives you an idea of what you can get for $1000

This seems like a nice site, I always look at ... but I don't know the seller.
    http://www.coolvintagewatches.com/Cool/ ... atches.htm

john

Go vintage, I agree. Easily the best value for money. If you shop carefully, you can get a bargain. I bought this mint 1960's gold Longines with box and papers, from an antiques fair (not a boot sale) and still paid less than £100.

Cheers

Foggy

Wow Foggy, that is clean.

john

Thanks. You guys ROCK. 8)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    Look around.
    john
    Seconded! To buy new would be to waste money. A grand and a bit will take you horologically quite high on the so-called 'vintage' market.
    Fourthed! This solid 18K was under $300 . .

And this 14K was under $500

The above don't have "the name" but the principle does apply - I sold a beautiful solid 14K Longines last year for $299 (and I regret it, too).

Yesterday, after a few minutes I found this gold Longines for $300 second from the bottom here:
    not at that link. Someone must have seen your post and snagged it.

not at that link. Someone must have seen your post and snagged it.
    Looks like he's gone off for the summer. :roll:

john

Thomas Reid
    Being new at it and stuff, I paid over the odds for this no doubt. It was 300 quid (about 500 USDs at the time), but it is still way under 1000USDs. It is 35-36mm, but looks bigger because it is all dial. The case is 18k (the hands too, I believe). It is my bling watch.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I know the hands need to be reset. I can't be bothered. ;)
    RLF

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Being new at it and stuff, I paid over the odds for this no doubt. It was 300 quid (about 500 USDs at the time), but it is still way under 1000USDs. It is 35-36mm, but looks bigger because it is all dial. The case is 18k (the hands too, I believe). It is my bling watch.
    I still haven't seen anything nicer for that price. Good catch I think.

Right now I'm just honing my searching skillz. ;-) I don't know why I bother when I don't have the money on hand. Dumb, I know. But it gives me something to do. I did find a nice Longines that I wish I could go for but I can't at the moment. I still like your GP a bit better. ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    Go vintage, I agree. Easily the best value for money. If you shop carefully, you can get a bargain. I bought this mint 1960's gold Longines with box and papers, from an antiques fair (not a boot sale) and still paid less than £100.

Cheers
    Foggy
    What's the movement, Fogster? 27.0?

What's the movement, Fogster? 27.0?
    12.68Z.

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    PS I know the hands need to be reset. I can't be bothered. ;)
    I seem to remember these hands ... weren't they protruding from some Saracens in the 12th century? :P :wink:

[still trying to swith off my silly mood]
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Further on the above worlok, 14k for $745.
    http://www.watchestobuy.com/images/Omega14ksimpleb.JPG

It's 3rd down on this page also check the guy's other stuff, site looks legit.
    http://www.watchestobuy.com/newpage3.htm

Just imagine what you will be finding by the time you got the bread. :lol:

How about this 18k pink for $650? (on page 6)
    http://www.watchestobuy.com/images/Nico ... graphb.JPG

john