closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex itch - do I scratch?

Rolex itch - do I scratch?

I currently have a couple of Omega's:

My daily - 2264.50

My 'for best' - seamaster chrono

However, I've recently been getting a Rolex urge and can't decide what to do. I originally loved the Exp II and sold one on here recently for a mate. I sort of regret not buying it myself although I prefer weighty watches and compared to the chrono, it felt like a toy watch.

I've been looking at a few others recently (sub, GMT etc) but can't decide whether to go for one or stick with what I have. I bought myself a PAM177 last year but sold it a few weeks later as I actually preferred tow wear my 'for best' watch. I just wonder if I'll feel the same this time around?

Has anyone else had similar thoughts or done a similar swap?

Re: Rolex itch - do I scratch?

Yes you do.

I say 'If it's an itch - it won't go away until you scratch.'

...and sell me your Omega cheap ^^

Craftsman

Can't offer up any advice but can say I'm in the same boat... I've been patiently waiting to hit the 250 post mark so I can sell on here again and after my current watch goes I'm really considering getting myself a Rolex just to see if all the fuss is justified!
    If I do though I want to buy something I'll have for a good few years... I don't want to buy and have the moment pass and just sell up after a few months!

Buy a Sea Dweller and your itch will be once and for ever scratched, trust me :wink:
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Journeyman

Whatever you do don't sell that SMP though. They are getting really collectible.

Banned

I'd leave it a month.. see how you feel then.

Not a big Rollie fan but I am a big Omega fan so I say yes, scratch that itch and sell me you SMP to raise the required funds.

That is of course my unbiased opinion.......

Mark

Be careful, knowing Rolex, prices could of risen again by then! :)

Get yourself a nice early 5513...better than money in the bank :wink:

Master

itch. scratch. job done.

:lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Scratch it, but don't sell the Omegas to do it.

then take a month to decide if you want to keep them all.

DO NOT SELL THE 2254.5!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    DO NOT SELL THE 2254.5!!
    Alas, he doesn't have a 2254 - it's the 2264, which is the quartz. Not that there's anything wrong with the 2264, perfect get up and go watch...

That chrono is beautiful and I wouldn't let it go for anything other than a rolex you HAVE to have. If it's just an itch, don't lose it for the sake of something you might only just like.

I want an exp 2 with a black face!! :-(
    gutted I didnt buy one when I first got into watches!

Grand Master

I`d sell one of the Omegas because they're far too similar.

Sounds like you're only happy with heavy chunky watches if you dismiss the Exp 11 as you did.....seems a crazy statement to me.

God help you....you'll end up with a DSSD... :roll:

Paul

Some great answers in here all! Cheers lol

I'm debating popping into a couple of AD's over the weekend to have a look. Don't really want to sell any of my Omega's but probably can't justify them all. I spent quite a bit of time drooling over a particular watch in the Watch Boutique in the Mirage in Las Vegas last week but stupidly have forgotten the name of it. Had I been more successful in the previous 7 days in Vegas I would have brought it back with me like a shot!

I know watches are quite selective and everyone likes different ones - I really love my SMP - and can't decide if I'd like a Rolex instead of it. I suppose I can only decide properly if I go and look at them. The Sales Corner is a bloody addictive place though that's for sure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddom3
    I want an exp 2 with a black face!! :-(
    gutted I didnt buy one when I first got into watches!
    That was the exact exp 2 I advertised for my mate a couple of months ago. Part of me is annoyed I didn't buy it - but as I say, it did feel a little lightweight. Lovely looker though

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    I`d sell one of the Omegas because they're far too similar.

Sounds like you're only happy with heavy chunky watches if you dismiss the Exp 11 as you did.....seems a crazy statement to me.

God help you....you'll end up with a DSSD... :roll:

Paul
    As I say - watches are selective aren't they. I just prefer a bit of weight on my arm.

I know what you mean re: the Omega's being similar though.

Craftsman

Just be carefull, sometimes when you scratch it makes you more itchy :lol:

No likey the Chrono - sell and add the watch your thinking of would be me pitch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Wait if you can - if the itch doesn`t vanish - then God help you! :bounce:

If it was me i'd sell the Chrono...

Maybe get a SD or Deepsea if you like chunky.

Is the DSSD the biggest Rolex?

I think a DSSD is in order :)

Craftsman

Try a few roles watches on for size first and go for the one you like the most, keep the omegas and save up for a rolex you want, it will mean more to you that way and you will have a nice trio
    Cheers Mick

Heal the itch with Daytona... :twisted:

Looks like you've already answered your original question. Trying some out in an AD is the only way to tell for sure.

In my own case I tend to wait until the itch has become a whole body rash, and then take the inevitable medicine.

Journeyman

Since you are allready wearing bigger heavier watches, I say go for the newer Rolex models. Old style Exp II are not for you. It might look great in photos but you will miss the weight and size.

DSSD on the other hand is even bigger than what you are wearing right now. I would advise to try it out first. Very thick watch, probably the most over-engineered watch at the moment. Quality beyond compromises but hard to use daily.

Just get a big bottle of calamine lotion.
    Much cheaper and smells nice.

Alternatively just get a DSSD and have done with it.

Next!

DSSD all the way !!

I don't wear mine every day but adjusted right it is soooo comfortable - this is not a watch you can wear loose.
    It's such a tactile chunky piece and height just adds to the quality feel.

Si

I was never a Rolex fan, but had a similar itch & bought a Milgauss which was beautifully made & finished and I really like it, however I don't find it getting a lot of wrist time as it is so shiny & bright so is great for special occasions but if your other watches are more subdued (like mine are) lovely as they are I would stay away from the polished watches and get something a little more subtle.

The watches themselves I am very impressed with & you can certainly feel you are wearing a good quality timepiece so is well worth scratching the itch but be sure to get something that suits your style as they are too nice to only wear on special occasions !

I sold two Omegas to buy my Rolex, it was an itch i had to scratch & have no regrets. Logically it makes no sense as Omega make great watches & the quality wrist presence & history are all exceptional, but there's just something about a Rolex i just cant quantify.
    I sold my beloved Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch, which i never thought i'd get rid, of plus a Planet Ocean which was possibly the ultimate do it all watch with the best bracelet of any watch at any price (IMHO) that went to my brother, to buy a matte dialled Submariner which i saw on SC & had to have. I seriously thought even as i was packaging the watches for postage that i would regret letting them go but whilst i was initially underwhelmed by the Rolex, i realise now that its all the watch i could ever realistically need & am even considering doing the unthinkable & reducing the collection to just this & a G Shock (horror!). So scratch that itch & if it doesn't work for you remember nothing is easier to sell on than a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2
    I was never a Rolex fan, but had a similar itch & bought a Milgauss which was beautifully made & finished and I really like it, however I don't find it getting a lot of wrist time as it is so shiny & bright so is great for special occasions but if your other watches are more subdued (like mine are) lovely as they are I would stay away from the polished watches and get something a little more subtle.

The watches themselves I am very impressed with & you can certainly feel you are wearing a good quality timepiece so is well worth scratching the itch but be sure to get something that suits your style as they are too nice to only wear on special occasions !
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    I sold two Omegas to buy my Rolex, it was an itch i had to scratch & have no regrets. Logically it makes no sense as Omega make great watches & the quality wrist presence & history are all exceptional, but there's just something about a Rolex i just cant quantify.
    I sold my beloved Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch, which i never thought i'd get rid, of plus a Planet Ocean which was possibly the ultimate do it all watch with the best bracelet of any watch at any price (IMHO) that went to my brother, to buy a matte dialled Submariner which i saw on SC & had to have. I seriously thought even as i was packaging the watches for postage that i would regret letting them go but whilst i was initially underwhelmed by the Rolex, i realise now that its all the watch i could ever realistically need & am even considering doing the unthinkable & reducing the collection to just this & a G Shock (horror!). So scratch that itch & if it doesn't work for you remember nothing is easier to sell on than a Rolex.
    Thanks guys - appreciate this. Interesting to read your thought Billy too especially as you went from a similar position.

Good point re sale too if it doesn't work.

The comment earlier re: the expII - are the newer models heavier? And re: the DSSD - not sure if that one looks 'too' big. However, I'll check these out over the weekend.

Thanks all for the comments - really appreciate these.

One last one - does anyone know if you can get 0% on rolex say at Goldsmiths? If I went down that route I wouldn't have to sell any. I could also sell some shares and not have to sell a watch but don't fancy doing that just yet.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mitadoc
    Is the DSSD the biggest Rolex?
    I thought the YMII is the biggest in term of size and the DDII Platinum is the heaviest.....

Been to look today - looked at a DJ1 and DJ2 as these were the ones I really liked. The DJ1 is too small for me which is a shame as I love the look and the bracelet. The DJ2 was quite nice but not as keen on the bracelet - however, it was quite a nice feeling watch that was bigger than I thought and had a nice weighty feel to it. Also said they would give me £400-500 off a straight sale and can do 0% but no discount.

These were my favourites to be honest. I also like the sub but would probably prefer to buy a used one from the SC if I went down that route. Not a fan of the DSSD as its just a bit too big for me.

Thanks for the advice anyway - just need to decide whether to go for it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    Thanks guys - appreciate this. Interesting to read your thought Billy too especially as you went from a similar position.

Good point re sale too if it doesn't work.

The comment earlier re: the expII - are the newer models heavier? And re: the DSSD - not sure if that one looks 'too' big. However, I'll check these out over the weekend.

Thanks all for the comments - really appreciate these.

One last one - does anyone know if you can get 0% on rolex say at Goldsmiths? If I went down that route I wouldn't have to sell any. I could also sell some shares and not have to sell a watch but don't fancy doing that just yet.
    Both Earnest Jones & Goldsmiths offered me 0% on any watch with a relatively small deposit when i was looking at a new sub/GMT.

go for it ,you can always sell if its not for you.This just arrived and i love it

Hi Senwar,

I bought the 177 from you, picked it up from your house and i still have it, love the watch and now to how i could help you?

I am lucky enough to have: -

2005 Sub
    1997 GMT
    2002 SD and
    2010 DSSD

if you want i can meet up with you so you can try them to see which one you like and suits you best.

Keith.

Trying outside an AD's might give a new perspective.

Sell the Omegas and buy a SD... way the best watch in the world :)

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox
    Hi Senwar,

I bought the 177 from you, picked it up from your house and i still have it, love the watch and now to how i could help you?

I am lucky enough to have: -

2005 Sub
    1997 GMT
    2002 SD and
    2010 DSSD

if you want i can meet up with you so you can try them to see which one you like and suits you best.

Keith.

Trying outside an AD's might give a new perspective.
    Hi Keith. Good to hear you're still enjoying the 177. I miss that watch and will have another one day!

I might take you up on that offer of ok then - agree seeing away from and AD would help to be honest. I've tried a sub on before and quite liked it - but would be interested to see the others. I'll reply to your pm - thanks for this offer, appreciated.

Nice collection by the way!

If you can afford it, scratch it!

And as others here have said, probably the least risky brand to try out as if you buy wisely, you're more likely to get most of your money back...

(though IMHO I think the Steel Daytona bubble is slowly bursting)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock
    Buy a Sea Dweller and your itch will be once and for ever scratched, trust me :wink:
    I hope so, might have bought one myself today :drunken: