closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1979 CWC W10 6BB

1979 CWC W10 6BB

I'm a newbie when it comes to watches, in fact I'd never even worn a watch until 6 odd weeks ago. Once bitten though, I needed to expand!

After a couple of cheap starter watches I decided I wanted something from my birth year, having quite a limited budget I started nosing around at some options.

My youth was spent at airshows, reading comic books like Commando and Warlord, my teenage years in the RAF cadets - all geared towards a life as a pilot. Unfortunatly due to medical conditions my dream was not to be - but as an homage to a wasted youth of watching Spitfires and building model planes, I thought it only fitting that my birth year watch be something that mirrored my ambitions!

So here it is, a RAF issued 1979 CWC W10 6BB on a battleship gray Nato - a watch that has aged much more gracefully than myself! I plan to wear it on nostalgic occasions or when I'm feeling ill (or hungover), to remind me that if something as simple as a timepiece can keep going day in, day out, so can I!!

:)

Master

Re: 1979 CWC W10 6BB

Very nice catch, Rick well done.

a great watch as a birth year watch

Banned

very nice :)

Nice idea, good for you.

very cool Rick. BTW to these use tension ring glass?

Quote Originally Posted by EZM1

I am a newbie to all things horological! I have no idea I'm afraid!!

Very cool! Wear it in good health!

This is a very clean example. I have the same in parts atm, reminds me to sit down and get it back together...

Nice - looks like my old watch Rich? If so, she was a real beauty. Wear in good health.

These seem to be going up in price all the time so not a bad investment either. I'd started to get rid of my mil pieces, might have to start building up again! :roll:

i like the look of this and am interested in a '79 watch for the same reasons :D . Couple of questions if you don't mind is this manual most of the cwc's i see are quartz and what is the diameter? completely new to these :?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin10
    i like the look of this and am interested in a '79 watch for the same reasons :D . Couple of questions if you don't mind is this manual most of the cwc's i see are quartz and what is the diameter? completely new to these :?
    It's a manual wind ETA 27something and the diameter is small :drunken:

Very nice catch, Rick! Wear it in the best of health.

I used to have a G10 1980, and went to a very good and caring home.

The watches are so amazing that we can buy such an old timepiece so as to reflect our birth year / age, and we can pass them on to the next generations.

Capt. Serdal

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by EZM1
    Yes, they do use a tension ring glass, BTW, its a 1 piece case..

It is interesting what you said "I'm a newbie when it comes to watches, in fact I'd never even worn a watch until 6 odd weeks ago. Once bitten though, I needed to expand!" I was talking to a jeweller in Sydney last year and he said "under 30s often don't wear a watch" I was curious and started looking at who does and who doesn't and I note a lot of teens and twenties indeed do seem to use their smart phone to get the time so I wonder how that bodes for the future? My feeling is that a watch is more a statement like a piece of jewellery so I can't see manufacturers going out of business but Ricks opening line grabbed by attention and I researched it a bit and it seems the jeweller is right see http://www.adam-mcfarland.net/2010/0...-to-tell-time/ and http://www.quora.com/What-percentage...es-Young-women
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard
    I'm a newbie when it comes to watches, in fact I'd never even worn a watch until 6 odd weeks ago. Once bitten though, I needed to expand!

After a couple of cheap starter watches I decided I wanted something from my birth year, having quite a limited budget I started nosing around at some options.

My youth was spent at airshows, reading comic books like Commando and Warlord, my teenage years in the RAF cadets - all geared towards a life as a pilot. Unfortunatly due to medical conditions my dream was not to be - but as an homage to a wasted youth of watching Spitfires and building model planes, I thought it only fitting that my birth year watch be something that mirrored my ambitions!

So here it is, a RAF issued 1979 CWC W10 6BB on a battleship gray Nato - a watch that has aged much more gracefully than myself! I plan to wear it on nostalgic occasions or when I'm feeling ill (or hungover), to remind me that if something as simple as a timepiece can keep going day in, day out, so can I!!

Nice catch !

Here to compare my 2008 issued CWC GS2000 for the RAF,

enjoy,

Laurent

I like this a lot. 8)

Could someone tell me please what year the W10 6BB was first issued ? Would it be possible to get one from 1969 ?

Thanks,

James

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    I like this a lot. 8)

Could someone tell me please what year the W10 6BB was first issued ? Would it be possible to get one from 1969 ?

Thanks,

James
    You need to be looking for a Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    I like this a lot. 8)

Thanks,

James
    You need to be looking for a Smiths.
    Thanks Andy

Will have one available soon !

I think that's a fine picture of a great watch.