closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in this?

Any interest in this?

Chrono version of the PRS-17 (Precista 89). Quartz of course, nobody can get the Lemania 5100 these days :evil: but it's a top quality 27 jewel quartz. I should be able to sell it for just under £200.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I like it! I remember seeing it originally at another forum (MWR it was I think). For some reason, while I' m not fond of this case, compared to the PRS-28, but I like it as a chrono, go figure.

This might be a silly question but here goes. If it quartz will it still have the same dial arrangement, i.e. central second and minute counter?

VA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VA
    I like it! I remember seeing it originally at another forum (MWR it was I think). For some reason, while I' m not fond of this case, compared to the PRS-28, but I like it as a chrono, go figure.

This might be a silly question but here goes. If it quartz will it still have the same dial arrangement, i.e. central second and minute counter?

VA
    Don't feel odd, I agree completely! For some reason I like this case much better as a chrono than did without the pushers.

Really rather nice looking.

Kevin

Master
    Very nice watch, Eddie. I had an ESC with the same movement but it didn't have that 4th hand. What does it do?

thanks,

Exactly the same but with "Precista" on the dial. Same high spec as the PRS-17 but 1mm thicker.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Good question Ted. I thought that the non-aeroplane hand was a constant seconds and the aeroplane hand was a minutes totaliser. Might have to check this though.

Eddie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Very nice watch, Eddie. I had an ESC with the same movement but it didn't have that 4th hand. What does it do?

thanks,
    I believe the "pointer" hand is the 60 minute timer, the other hand is the second timer. Dials show 1/10ths timer, constant seconds and hour timer.

It's the same movement in the Chase-Durer "Aviator" style watches with the macho names.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KCampbell
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA

thanks,
    I believe the "pointer" hand is the 60 minute timer, the other hand is the second timer. Dials show 1/10ths timer, constant seconds and hour timer.

It's the same movement in the Chase-Durer "Aviator" style watches with the macho names.

Kevin
    Exactly Kevin, and the Chase Durer is a lot more money. Presumably the cost of printing "Special Ops Group Underwater Demolition Team Who Kill People" on the dial. :lol:

Eddie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Exactly the same but with "Precista" on the dial. Same high spec as the PRS-17 but 1mm thicker.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, will definitelly be interested in one. Especially if you keep the colouring the same

:)

VA

Journeyman

Date or No date or Both?

Eddie

Certainly like the look of this. Would it have a date window or not?

Re: Date or No date or Both?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger
    Eddie

I'm not sure if the movement supports a date but if it does, 4 o'clock is the obvious (and only) place for it.

Eddie

Master

Eddie

The movement appears to have a date wheel, but I'm assuming that this version wouldn't include it.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KCampbell
    Eddie

The movement appears to have a date wheel, but I'm assuming that this version wouldn't include it.

Kevin
    It might but if so it would be black wheel with white printing. Usual Letraset extras for customisation as well. :lol:

Eddie

Craftsman
    I think such a watch could find its way to my wrist, especially with a price like that. Please go ahead Eddie!

rgds,
    /joakim

I like it!!!

Journeyman

I'd definetely buy one (or more)

I'd definetely buy one (or more) if it works like the Lemania 5100, with the winged hand being the 60 minute counter. It's the best chrono configuration.
    Please Eddie, add the date window.

Regards,

Markku

I'm intensively allergic to the 2-6-10 subdial layout so it's not for me.
    But central chrono minute/seconds hand rocks!

/Stefan

Master
    Here's the manual for the Chase version:

http://www.chase-durer.com/newsite/pdf/251262.pdf

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    I'm intensivly allergic to the 2-6-10 subdial layout so it's not for me.
    But central chrono minute/seconds hand rocks!

/Stefan
    I know exactly what you mean (even tho I did have that movement in a wondrous blue Movado - but that is another story).

... but as it happens I do like it when you turn it upside down. Here in a cartier but I know there is a manufacturer which has turned it with the buttons on the left ... does anyone remember who the maker is?

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

I like that chrono very much Eddie. Its the business.

Cheers,
    Dave

Grand Master
    I have long ogled this ETA movement ... it needs a date though (wherever, whatever color).

I'd be all for it. :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Now that really looks a great watch! Would be very interested indeed.

Fantastic idea!

Best Wishes,

Pottinger :) :)

P.S. The hands-the subdial & Hr, as well as seconds in a version of yellow colour...?

A funky texture on the dial, or a subtle one of concentric etched circles, or just plain. Looks to be a classic one:)

Is the branding to be Precista? Plain or branded, I like it!

Brushed case would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I have long ogled this ETA movement ... it needs a date though (wherever, whatever color).

It is a very good movement ... much better than most coming out of the east. Very crisp in operation.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

It is a very good movement ... much better than most coming out of the east. Very crisp in operation.

john
    Good to hear. There are precious few movements with the central minute totalizer, and I don't mind quartz. Knowing you do, I am surprised that you would be familiar with its operation. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Good to hear. There are precious few movements with the central minute totalizer, and I don't mind quartz. Knowing you do, I am surprised that you would be familiar with its operation. :wink:
    I haven?t always been against quartz. There was a time when precision (and style) took priority ...

I first saw this very picture (in IWW) around '92 and the watch was priced at just over £600 ... a couple of years later I found it for sale for £200, bought it, removed the bracelet and had it on a blue sharkskin.

This was a class item. The blue/slate of the dial was quite dark and the furniture crisp and precise ... kept it for a couple of years (I remember everywhere I went with it) and sold it for a few pennies more than I paid.

It looks like it has three crowns, but the top and bottom ones are pushbuttons (non screwing) ... and yes, the centre-seconds and minute-totaliser are the same length. I have never seen another one since ... but I am glad I had the experience of it. I?ve always had a soft spot for Movado and this one scratched the itch nicely.

I cannot say I?ve ever had any complains with Seiko but I found a few Citizen modules a bit fiddly and not very instinctive. I would not hesitate in having the Swiss movement again ...

john

Master
    I quite like that as I only have one get up and go watch (PRS10) that would be something for more dressy occaisions.
    But where would the Precista go on the dial without spoiling it maybe it could reside on the rear. :wink:
    Paul. :)

Time Zones

A feature of this movement is the independent setting of the hour hand on the first click of the crown. Great for flying or travel. Date is set by moving the hour hand. I have experienced this movement in a Revue Thommen, and it is a joy to use. I'll buy one, Eddie. (Chrono hands in yellow would be cool.)

Looks good Eddie - could be tempted.

:)

Rod

Re: Time Zones

Quote Originally Posted by sparks
    ............ (Chrono hands in yellow would be cool.)
    I agree. (... but red is not bad either)

I must say, I am not in the market for such a watch.

john

Master
    Just having another covetous look at the watch-it looks great.

Am convinced that yellow instead of orange is a reasonable idea and potential proposition. The RAF/MoD tests fround this the best colour in low-light cond.-the Vulcan (V-Force -nuclear deterrant) aircrews were issued with watches in this colour, due to the periods in which they required to be in low/lower -light conditions, in service. Not to mention the funky, distinctive yet somewhat understatedness of it. The summer spirit, indeed!

Also, perhaps, regarding the 'Precista'-this could be put in the space under the 1/10th dial, curved round the bottom of that aforesaid dial-so as to not only comeacross dynamic, modern yet respectful and very finctionable-evident clearly, though not intefering witht he eye to catch a quick and efficient glance at the dials. Somtimes lots of writing of merely a line, can impede, to a degree in this operation. It would marry well with the evitend high functionality of the style/philisophy of the piece. Moreover,the cuved, discreet, clear and respectable 'Preista' as so would further give a balance to the linear/functional aspect of the design; exaccerbating in clear subtlety the attractive font of the brand and its good name.

If no brushed steel version is available, i would make it brushed steel in finish.

A plain dial is my preference upon reflection.

Some thoughts.
    So looking forward to it-if it is indeed made... :wink: :)

For what it is worth, it could be such a great line-an LE version could be the Biz with some added xtras, such as those sugg. above-brushed steel, yellow hands, engraving ont he back or acid etch. Culd have a funky or good name. Looks an ultimate type of sports/military come divers watch; mans functionable 'prof. rec' piece. A beater, but very elegant. Hummph. The more I see it the more I would like one ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ailfrid Pottinger
    Just having another covetous look at the watch-it looks great.

Am convinced that yellow instead of orange is a reasonable idea and potential proposition. The RAF/MoD tests fround this the best colour in low-light cond.-the Vulcan (V-Force -nuclear deterrant) aircrews were issued with watches in this colour, due to the periods in which they required to be in low/lower -light conditions, in service. Not to mention the funky, distinctive yet somewhat understatedness of it. The summer spirit, indeed!

At the bottom of this page, Eddie has posted a picture of yellow one:
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=75

john

Master
    Thank you very much Abraxas-I had not seen that. :)

The one in the link looks 'on fire'!-I like the yellow. The ergonomic aspect would also go well with the low-light in divers, and adventurous act. as well as 'at night'! The hand set is the design made for the Bund, for the designers conducted tests for that hand-set and dial type (the tracks) to mak it as functional, clear and easy to read for mil. purp. as poss. A great marriage it could be-the zenith (!) of ergonomics and looks as well as mil. traditions, all in the aptly named Precista. Well, if not made with yellow hnds, I shall make them yellow myself if they are made and I can get me hands on one!

Sincerlely,

Pottinger :)

Master
    Perhaps a lume spot in the bezel at the apex would be a good and very a functionable feature.

Perhaps a lume spot in the bezel at the apex would be a good and very a functionable feature.

It will have a C3 triangle set in the bezel.

Eddie

Master
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a C3 triangle set? If i take your meaning, it is like on the Rolex Bezel of the sub., with a metal or metal-like ring around the integrated blob of lume set into the apex on the bezel.

Just want to be sure of the C3 term; it's new to me! :)

Many Thanks,

Eddie, would you consider ......

a twelve hour bezel scale? This would add a second time zone function to a watch which already has a timing function. With the previously mentioned independent hour hand setting, this chrono would then be a flyer's/traveller's delight.

Master
    I should qualify that the reason I suggested the 'Precista' that may be printed on the dial be curved around the 1/10th sec. dial, is as:

Perhaps it is:

More functionable, in the spirit and style of functionability of the piece, i.e. the hands as per the Bund and the tests done in design of this for the highest funtionability; the rungedness and servicability of the design, overall.

I have found that brand-names on the dial at or below the 12'O'Clock can be 'heavy' with the fly-hand there as is proper.-this may impede the maximisation of the functionabilty of the design and the natural following of the overall aspect.

The Precista curved round the lower part of the aforementioend dial would link, with the trad. font, as very clear, balanced (dial would look more balanced with font in the area as noted, in relation to the other areas with plenty items in them as is) This would, too, appropriately give, perhaps some added verve and style, dynamism manifestly in keeping with the overall design sense/clearness of use of what is a rugged, durable outdoorsy piece.

The meaning of preciseness, a part of the meaning alluded to in 'Precista' relates well, and neither too punningly nor kitch, in the context, with the accuracy afforded by the 1/10th dial; mutually complemetary in addition to informative of the literal and alluded/substantive; tangible aspects.

Moreover, this meets well with the functinabilty theme of the piece, on several relevant, understated and functional levels.

It seems to me to be a very natural, simple and elegant design solution.

This is my Opinion of it, in carification, to share. I quite understand if others or it is not agreed with, for we all have our takes, as it were, on matter, as well as aspects one is not aware of etc. e.g. design contraints etc., :)

Very excited by this watch... :)

Sincerely,

Another version.

Eddie

Grand Master

Re: Time Zones

A feature of this movement is the independent setting of the hour hand on the first click of the crown. Great for flying or travel. Date is set by moving the hour hand. I have experienced this movement in a Revue Thommen, and it is a joy to use. I'll buy one, Eddie. (Chrono hands in yellow would be cool.)
    Sounds very interesting! :D

Go for it, Eddie! 8)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    I seem to remember that the intentionality of procuring yellow-faced watches for Vulcan crews has been debunked as a horological legend ... Foggy may know more about this. IIRC the yellows were procured because they were cheap, and available.

Be that as it may, yellow or orange are better than red which may look too dark to see easily in low-light conditions. I researched that when deciding on the color for the tip of the Seiko Navigator's hand, and owners of both orange- and red-tipped hands confirmed that the red easily pales against the dark dial.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Another version.

Eddie
    Very near perfect, Eddie.

If the second hand chrono counter jumps in one second-intervals, you may well do away with the fraction-of-a-second marks.

How do you propose to mark the 12h-index? It is obscured in the picture by the minute counter. A triangle, or the traditional two lateral dots to the bar?

Great idea about the C3 triangle (Ailfrid: that's green lume glowing green) in the bezel. I would be interested in both the 12h and the 60' version.

Great stuff, Eddie! :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    The yellow hands are the business.

Re-reading the manual I notice that it has a split timing feature too, great for lap times at the track! Combine that with a date, independantly settable hour hand and I think it's a winner.

Kevin

Master
    Regarding the choice between the yellow-orange chronograph hands, I would prefer the orange one.

And just an idea, do we need the 1/10th subdial? What if that function was not used, and instead in its place the name Precista appears. What do you think? I' m not entirely sold on this idea as well, but would like to hear other opinions as well.

VA

Master
    Dear Crusader,

You may well be right re. the V-Force procurement. I do not recall exactly where I read it. It would be interesting to know about that point.

I like the yellow, neverthless, as it seems quite a few do, too. Yes, red and reddish colours pale against the blackness-a good analogy is the colour of Guiness- in fact very dark red vs black! Cheers to the yellow!

It woulld be great if the mvt did not have a jumping second, but this is not a show stopper to me. I prefer the smoothness of the non-jumping operation and estimation whist watching the counter.

As regards the 12, having been avidly recording designs for dials (re. franken proj.) a version of the IWC type apex on the 2000 bund is my fave. It is a split, inverse apex and the flyback hand could fit nicely and naturally inbetween Easy to read by night, too due to the proportions Another good one IMO, as Crusader points out is the trad brit. mil:

o|o

But with the balls at the top :wink: :lol:

Other points as already made e.g. finish.

I shall regard it as 'Commando' before it is formally christened or baptized formally-it can be a diver (case)IMO; a 'chutist; the pilot aspect and it looks rugged and very funtionable(functions a Commando may wish to have)- by sea or air, it is always a down to earth, quality watch design. It can be worn with nothing else to boot!:lol:

This looks a great watch Eddie-love the pic, though I like the 'Precista' where it is in the pic, perhaps still preferring the curved 'Precista' at the bottom of the right sub-dual due to the proportions and space etc.. Not fundamental, naturally.

Sincerely,

In many applications, such as aviation, the 1/10 second indication is unnecessary. However, the watch becomes much more versatile if the 1/10 indication is preserved. My recent example was timing a show jumping class. Occasionally two times would be so close that the tenth of a second declared the winner. Why remove a valuable feature?

As for the yellow vs. red issue, most of our cockpits can be illuminated in white or red light (pilot's choice). Dimmable white makes reading the paperwork easier. Red is good to preserve night vision if you want to stargaze. Anything marked in red on a white background disappears under red light. Anything marked in red on a dark background looks like 50% gray. Yellow marking under red light is preferred.

I'd be in for a yellow one :D

I am definately still liking this case for my new beater.
    What would the H2O resistance be with the chrono?
    -Brian
    P.S. "Yellow" also gets my vote over red.

Grand Master
    In many applications, such as aviation, the 1/10 second indication is unnecessary. However, the watch becomes much more versatile if the 1/10 indication is preserved. My recent example was timing a show jumping class. Occasionally two times would be so close that the tenth of a second declared the winner. Why remove a valuable feature?

As for the yellow vs. red issue, most of our cockpits can be illuminated in white or red light (pilot's choice). Dimmable white makes reading the paperwork easier. Red is good to preserve night vision if you want to stargaze. Anything marked in red on a white background disappears under red light. Anything marked in red on a dark background looks like 50% gray. Yellow marking under red light is preferred.
    That sounds very good, doesn't it? :wink:

Any movement modification (like removing subdials) will drive up the price considerably, I guess.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I would not be upset if the brand appeared only on the back of the watch. Reduced dial clutter is a thing of beauty.

I would not be upset if the brand appeared only on the back of the watch. Reduced dial clutter is a thing of beauty.

This is how the RT Airspeed deals with the dial script issue. There is something attractive about the empty space in the centre. I feel 'Precista' should go on the other side of the date (if there is a date) or where the date is (if there is no date).

john