closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Heritage Chrono (Grey Dial) (update 2011-11-17)

Journeyman

Tudor Heritage Chrono (Grey Dial) (update 2011-11-17)

Tudor Heritage Chrono (Grey Dial)
    Reference number 70330N
    Case Diameter 42mm
    Case height 13mm
    Lugs Distance 22mm
    Weight 177gr (with bracelet, no links removed)
    Movement ETA 2892 with chrono odule Dubois-Depraz 2054
    45 minute counter at 9 o'clock
    WR 150m
    Sapphire glass, SS back, extra black/orange strap supplied by Tudor
    More Nato Strap photos on page 2

Ever since the first photos came out I was intrigued by this watch. I have a thing for neo-vintage and re-issues, and Tudor with the Heritage Chrono did just that. Drawing inspiration from its own Monte Carlo Chronograph, Tudor, brought back to life, a piece of 70's history, modernized just enough to have its own character but still stay true to the original design.

Here is a photo of the original Monte Carlo Chronograph side by side with the 2010's implementation.
    (photo taken from fratellowatches.com)

I was lucky enough to buy one, with my favorite grey dial, so here is my review of this great watch.

First feeling once you grab it, is the weight, with all the links on the bracelet, it weighs 177gr (weighted on my kitchen scale). Diameter is 42mm, almost medium sized nowadays but it is quite fat at 13mm. The weight, together with brushed and polished surfaces and the deep pineapple texture of the bezel side and crown sends a very rich feeling to your touch and fingers.

Mirror finish on the beveled lugs and case sides, bracelet sides, inner clasp. Brushed bracelet and watch backside. Black aluminum bezel with 48(!) clicks, suitable only for GMT function. Crown and pushers have black glossy finish applied on their top. Crown also bears the Tudor logo. Flat case back engraved with the words - SUISSE TUDOR GENEVE, three Tudor logos, the serial number and the model reference. The quality of the work is excellent. A hefty piece of SS, solid clasp, no squeaks from the bracelet.

The dial is the main attraction of the Heritage Chrono.AR coated sapphire, 1mm higher than the bezel. A true three dimensional dial, recessed black subdials, matte grey dial, applied hour indexes with the date at the 6 o'clock position and a big fat Tudor logo applied at 12 o'clock. Beautiful hands with straight lines and ample amounts of luminova.

I will not burden you with more descriptions since I have numerous photos for you. I will say this, the quality of the watch and bracelet is outstanding, close to what Rolex offers to its new models. Your eyes will be happy with its unique design, resembling nothing else in today's market and your touch will be more than satisfied with the rich textures and weight.

The watch sits great on the wrist, because it is totally flat and heavy. I don't like big watches and this is the biggest and fattest in my collection, yet it is surprising comfortable.

Where did Rolex/Tudor cut corners is :
    -at the bezel... no clicking sound just a dull klhak with a cheap feel and a weird 48 klhaks for a full rotation (bidirectional).
    -at the pushers... same problem, a hard dry click..... Crown feels great though.
    -at the movement, no in house.

Regarding the movement it is an ETA 2892 together with Module Dubois-Depraz 2054. The 2892 is Top Grade, a hell of a movement, tried and tested and accurate. Many people don't like the module sitting on top of it. My opinion is that it is also a tried & tested chrono solution with all the dislikes streaming from the difficult service options. Here comes the top notch Rolex Service to offer peace of mind and worry free operation for decades. The movement has 55jewels and is modified by Rolex/Tudor.

Here is a photo of the insides, plaque d by the modern large watch problem. Small movements, together with hot air filling, for the enormous watchcases.
    (photo, not so shamelessly, copied from the web)

Tudor bundles the Heritage together with a black/orange/grey nylon strap. This is not a normal Nato strap. Instead it features two stainless steel bars woven into the fabric that enable the strap to be used the same way you install a metal bracelet. The buckle is also nice resembling a seat belt. The strap gives a totally different look to the watch and it is a very nice bonus.

All in all this is a great watch, I am very happy with my decision. A piece that oozes quality, a very unique design with strong character, yet really versatile that can be matched with leather and various nato straps from some very interesting looks. It is very comfortable to wear, the movement is one or the best ETA has to offer and Rolex backs you with one of the best service around. Some compromises but they don't spoil the overall picture.

Highly recommended, I am now a Tudor fan.

And some more photos.....

Leather and Nato strap photos coming later on.

Craftsman

Re: Tudor Heritage Chrono (Grey Dial)

Nice review! I love the color combination.

Great review, really like the look of this grey dialled version.

That is a fantastic review of a very interesting piece, thank you very much. Just the right balance of words and pictures. 8)

I love the look of the Heritage Chrono but there are details that I find a tad awkward. For instance, why does the date window nibble into the chapter ring markings and why does the minute hand extend just beyond the edge of the chapter ring? That said, it is still a fine piece, particularly on the bracelet.

Great great. I love your photos.

Great review - I've tried one of these on and they do look great. Thanks for posting.

A really nice looker and superb on the nato. Not sure on how well it'll age though, the face looks modern which is good for now. Given the rate that people on here move watches on, that may never be an issue for you.

Journeyman

good looking watch, my dream

Journeyman

Thanks guys for all the comments.

Before buying it, I had some reservations regarding the "novelty" that this watch brought to my collection. It is the most extravagant watch I have, for the time being, and the only one of this size (quite big for my tastes).

I am happy to report that up until now I am not at all tired of all the color and dial elements. On the contrary I keep viewing it from different angles and brings a smile to my face. Sizewize... as mentioned it is a very easy watch, sits flat on the wrist but I still remain a fan of smaller watches.

That's the exact watch at the top of my expensive list.
    Did you buy new? Which AD?

It's a cracking watch, made more so by your review and pics. Superb effort and congratulations.
    Gray

What a great review and pics.
    I learned something new today too - i never realized the movement/casing size difference issue. I wonder how they prevent the movement from moving around on the occasional harder knocks that a watch gets with time. Why not use something to fill the gaps with?

Anyway great watch, wear it in good health.

Master

Great review. I love your old Monte Carlo.
    I think this Tudor is one of the best looking watches around.

Fantastic review and pics. Just picked up the black diallied version which is a lovely watch...but I think I should have gone for the grey!!

Came back for another look. Just adore this watch!!

Journeyman

Tudor with ETA caliber, quality Rolex, Tudor price. Size is not small, not big, is just good. Appearance retro.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...P/P1010337.jpg

Tudor Heritage Chrono (Grey Dial)

Wow what a review!!
    I bought this same model from a forum member last year and was just as impressed as you are. Whenever I get sick of it I change the strap and bracelet around and it's like a new watch. I love it.
    Thanks again for the great info and pics.

Beautiful watch and great pics.

Tudor is growing on me...

Great review! One of the few if not the only Tudor watch produced today I like. Thank you. L

Grey dial is definitely the way forward IMHO

Journeyman

Not a great lover of steel bands, but I have to say that look very sharp
    GOOD ONE

Great review and pics. Making me regret trading mine in for a PAM...

Love that watch, good value for money too in my opinion...

Journeyman

Thanks for all the comments guys!

My initial opinions remain a month later. The watch is a true chameleon, as the following pictures can attest. It makes a perfect pair to fat leather (Panerai type) straps. Lugs and case shape beg for a 5-6mm leather strap. I have a black one with grey stitching coming.

Here are some extra photos on Nato straps and a fat distressed leather I had lying around.

Here is the original Tudor Nato strap

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Austyn
    That's the exact watch at the top of my expensive list.
    Did you buy new? Which AD?
    I was lucky enough to buy at a very nice price from the 1st owner, here in my country. As far as I know Tudor is not official sold in the UK but you can find them in Greece through Rolex ADs.

Re: Tudor Heritage Chrono (Grey Dial) (update 2011-11-17)

Great watch and very desirable; but why is there a random, orange segment on the subdial between 5 and 10 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Great watch and very desirable; but why is there a random, orange segment on the subdial between 5 and 10 minutes?
    I don't think it's random. It's quite useful to tell when you are coming up to 60 minutes on the subdial. That's what I use it for anyway...

Most impressive. The lighting in the photos is superb. Do you use a light box, if so which one?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect
    That is a fantastic review of a very interesting piece, thank you very much. Just the right balance of words and pictures. 8)

I love the look of the Heritage Chrono but there are details that I find a tad awkward. For instance, why does the date window nibble into the chapter ring markings and why does the minute hand extend just beyond the edge of the chapter ring? That said, it is still a fine piece, particularly on the bracelet.
    On my list for this year - BUT the date placement does mess with my mind a bit :? A cyclops might have helped :roll:

Journeyman

Awesome looking watch and a terrific review.

Lovely watch and looks superb on the Tudor Nato

I seem to remember a lot of fuss around the Heritage when it came out, now it seems they can be picked up fairly easily on UK second watch sites for about three grand. Might be a bit rich for my blood but still a lovely looking watch.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect

On my list for this year - BUT the date placement does mess with my mind a bit :? A cyclops might have helped :roll:
    like this ?

Master

Only just seen this. Nice review and the photos are just superb

Not had my grey faced Heritage for long and absolutely love it :drunken:

Great review. The NATO looks surprisingly better than I thought it would. Cool colour watch I guess.

Journeyman

Great review. Love the look of that watch.

Thanks for posting and taking the time to write, great review and top quality photo skills.

The Heritage reissue has always been a favourite of mine ever since release and I think the grey model is the one to get.

Enjoy.

Journeyman

Stunning watch, congrats. These really are moving to the top of my wish list now!

This watch is truly a head turner. Nice review and great photography too! :)

great looking watch, especially on the bracelet

Jon

Craftsman

Great review :)

Having owned the original Monte Carlo I must say that the new heritage chrono is a more sensible daily wearer.

If only it had a nicer (in-house) movement...

Master

Great review!! :)
    Ive got a Panda faced Tudor Big Block but i must say i think after reading this review i might have to see what the fuss is all about with the Heritage!
    Chris

the grey dial is the best deal !

Journeyman

Really like this. Some lovely pictures.

Journeyman

Nice review and beautiful pictures.

Lovely watch and am tempted myself. Nato suits it aswell.

Just read your write up. Thanks for posting. It's a good review and the photos are great too.

Master

I love these, good thing they are down at a decent price after the post release madness!

Great review with superb photo. I have been thinking about one of these for a while, its just so different from anything else around at the moment, and the 70's look only make this watch more cool.....when I think of the 70's I think orange....the hunt starts here.

And found one

:D :D :D