closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***Keep it clean please***

***Keep it clean please***

Please keep "Watch Talk" pretty much on topic and not post any pictures which are unacceptable for viewing in a mixed office or unsuitable for children. This also applies to "adult" signatures and avatars.

"Boys' Room" was created for posts admiring the female form and ribald banter so please, let's keep these subjects in there.

Thanks,

Eddie[/b]
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

PM sent

Grand Master

Re: ***Keep it clean please***

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Please keep "Watch Talk" pretty much on topic and not post any pictures which are unacceptable for viewing in a mixed office or unsuitable for children. This also applies to "adult" signatures and avatars.

"Boys' Room" was created for posts admiring the female form and ribald banter so please, let's keep these subjects in there.
    It would appear that this request is more honored in the breach than in the observance these days ... :(

seriously guys, much as the Worlokian signature tradition is appreciated from an aestehtic point of view, the emulation and taking it a step farther is not something that will permit me to visit the forum in the office, or at home with the children around.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Hat an incident at work: I was reading about watches when one of the above mentioned signatures/avatars flickered into view and a female coworker passed by and with a loud voice asked me: "Are you looking a hooters!"

Tried to explain that it was a watch forum but did not quite seem to get the message across.

Thomas Reid
    I'm in accord with the above. Please get rid of the risqué avatars, signature pictures, etc.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS "More honored in the breach than in the observance" in Hamlet is meant to convey that it was a nasty tradition which should be breached. I.e., there is more honor in breaching it than in observing it, or the spirit of the custom is best honored by breaching the substance of the custom. I'm not quite sure which of these, but I would probably go for the former. ;) (Perhaps this belongs in the "phrases" threads.)
    RLF

PPS
    HORATIO

[ A flourish of trumpets, and ordnance shot off, within ]

What does this mean, my lord?

HAMLET

The king doth wake to-night and takes his rouse,
    Keeps wassail, and the swaggering up-spring reels;
    And, as he drains his draughts of Rhenish down,
    The kettle-drum and trumpet thus bray out
    The triumph of his pledge.

HORATIO

Is it a custom?

HAMLET

Ay, marry, is't:
    But to my mind, though I am native here
    And to the manner born, it is a custom
    More honour'd in the breach than the observance.
    This heavy-headed revel east and west
    Makes us traduced and tax'd of other nations:
    They clepe us drunkards, and with swinish phrase
    Soil our addition; and indeed it takes
    From our achievements, though perform'd at height,
    The pith and marrow of our attribute.
    RLF

Grand Master
    First of all, many thanks for the removal of the sinature picture in question. :)

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    PS "More honored in the breach than in the observance" in Hamlet is meant to convey that it was a nasty tradition which should be breached. I.e., there is more honor in breaching it than in observing it, or the spirit of the custom is best honored by breaching the substance of the custom. I'm not quite sure which of these, but I would probably go for the former. ;) (Perhaps this belongs in the "phrases" threads.)
    I am a coward.

When I wrote what I wrote, I was indeed tempted for a minute to include a footnote with a reference to this site: http://www.cjr.org/tools/lc/honored.asp as I nearly expected that attention would be directed at the modern usage of the phrase being different from the Shakespearean original, and hence ambiguous.

But then, I thought it was inane to turn a small issue unrelated to language into yet another contest as to who speaks English best, on an international forum, and so I desisted.

As a non-native speaker (and hence per definitionem one of the barbarians tearing down the English language), I claim exemption from the onus of working towards maintaining the purity of the English language. :) Having said that, I am all for having threads in Latin. Though I must warn you all that with my exposure to grammatically corrupt medieval Latin, the same problem of accepted yet non-original meaning of words may apply. :shock: :roll: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    First of all, many thanks for the removal of the sinature picture in question. :)

I am a coward.

When I wrote what I wrote, I was indeed tempted for a minute to include a footnote with a reference to this site: http://www.cjr.org/tools/lc/honored.asp as I nearly expected that attention would be directed at the modern usage of the phrase being different from the Shakespearean original, and hence ambiguous.

But then, I thought it was inane to turn a small issue unrelated to language into yet another contest as to who speaks English best, on an international forum, and so I desisted.

As a non-native speaker (and hence per definitionem one of the barbarians tearing down the English language), I claim exemption from the onus of working towards maintaining the purity of the English language. :) Having said that, I am all for having threads in Latin. Though I must warn you all that with my exposure to grammatically corrupt medieval Latin, the same problem of accepted yet non-original meaning of words may apply. :shock: :roll: :wink:
    I don't quite follow you. But what I said has nothing to do with how well you speak or write English. I'm perfectly happy to accept that you speak and write it at least as well as I do. It is about how meanings change over time, I think.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Ah, now I get it. 1. You think that I was attacking you for not understanding English. (When, actually, most native speakers take the phrase the way you used it.). 2. You think it small minded of me (inane) to do so on an international board. 3. You are happy to challenge me (us) to do things in Latin, just to show that you are superior.

Well, have fun.
    RLF

"Well, Kirsty, in addition to the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare, I'd like to take 'Throwing Toys From The Pram For Fun And Profit' by R Frazier." :lol:

Master
    I'm in accord with the above. Please get rid of the risqué avatars, signature pictures, etc.

RLF
    I also support that request. As I was browsing Watch Talk, our 8-year old walked up and asked if "they were real?". And it wasn't the watches she had in mind :roll:

Cheers,
    Gert

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gert
    our 8-year old walked up and asked if "they were real?"
    If she knows at age 8 that there are real and artifical ones, you might have more splainin' to do than just your watch site browsing habits. :lol:

Guntram

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    "Well, Kirsty, in addition to the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare, I'd like to take 'Throwing Toys From The Pram For Fun And Profit' by R Frazier." :lol:
    You are likely right, if I understand you. Sometimes it is best to hold one's peace.

My apologies Martin. I should have said nothing.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Grand Master
    No offense taken, Bob. :)

Should have made my point that the potential confusion arising from the change of meaning of words or phrases over time is a universal phenomenon, and especially prominent in linguae francae such as Latin and English - i.e. such languages being spoken by many more non-native speakers than by native speakers - less forcefully myself.

I mentioned Latin as, besides English, it is the only foreign language in which I would be able to spot that the meaning of a given word or phrase may depend on the period it is used in (classical/medieval or Shakespearean/21st century).

I guess what I am trying to say is that non-native speakers are quite happy when they can express accurately what they are trying to say in a foreign language (at least I am), and that the occasional concomitant lapse in style - as in employing colloquialisms, or colloquially accepted yet technically incorrect phrases - should be less important compared to the greater challenge of making oneself understood in a foreign language. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thomas Reid
    No offense taken, Bob. :)

Should have made my point that the potential confusion arising from the change of meaning of words or phrases over time is a universal phenomenon, and especially prominent in linguae francae such as Latin and English - i.e. such languages being spoken by many more non-native speakers than by native speakers - less forcefully myself.

I mentioned Latin as, besides English, it is the only foreign language in which I would be able to spot that the meaning of a given word or phrase may depend on the period it is used in (classical/medieval or Shakespearean/21st century).

I guess what I am trying to say is that non-native speakers are quite happy when they can express accurately what they are trying to say in a foreign language (at least I am), and that the occasional concomitant lapse in style - as in employing colloquialisms, or colloquially accepted yet technically incorrect phrases - should be less important compared to the greater challenge of making oneself understood in a foreign language. :)
    You've got to keep in mind that you've got on hand here someone who has recently rediscovered his love of Shakespeare, and who has a tendency to dig in to those things which interest him (i.e., gets pretty compulsive). For example, I've 6 or 7 versions of Hamlet on DVD, and have watched (or listened to) the play dozens (scores?) of times in the last year. Sometimes just trying to figure the various ways to play the characters, but always paying attention to meaning and reveling in the language.

("Julius Caesar" last night, while exercising on my bicycle.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I just assume that you are truely bi-lingual.
    RLF

Grand Master
    Shakespeare is great stuff. :) 8)

You are to be envied to have the time to actually enjoy his beautiful language ... these days, I mostly only find the time to use English as a tool, without being able to pay attention to the aesthetics of the language, be it Shakespeare, Poe or any number of excellent authors. :(
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Amazing how far this strayed from Eddie's original post, isn't it :) ...?

Btw Martin, it would never have occurred to me that you were not a native English speaker :shock: . Over my close-to-2-years on this forum I've gradually become aware that you are based in Germany, but I always assumed your first language was English.

Simon

Shakespeare? Wot??? :study: :confused2: :silent: :help:

Whats "Rhenish" ???

Master

I applaud the non-native English speakers posting here. I, for one, am quite confident that I would not fair as well in a non-native language. Kudos to all.

On the original subject of this thread, I quite agree with our host. For a short while now, the level of, how should I say it...propriety had been sliding. Now that Eddie has made a point of this, I think all will raise the bar and be more mindful of the content posted on the general watch forum here. Just my two cents worth, and, with the rate the Dollar is dropping, it's worth even less now...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael in Frisco, Texas
    I applaud the non-native English speakers posting here. I, for one, am quite confident that I would not fair as well in a non-native language.
    I believe that should be "fare".
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael in Frisco, Texas
    I applaud the non-native English speakers posting here. I, for one, am quite confident that I would not fair as well in a non-native language.
    I believe that should be "fare".
    Right you are, sir.

Thanks, Crusader. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by mauvedipstick15
    search.php?author_id=8491&sr=posts

:evil:

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Good work Eddie!!

Keep it Clean!!

I think this is totally right, it is good you make this stand, thank you very much

[quote=Michael in Frisco, Texas]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Michael in Frisco, Texas":17jd5vfx
    [/quote:17jd5vfx]

thnx! reading english is much easier than speaking, but i hope i'll improve fast :D

good riddance...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by williams
    good riddance...
    Who? You? Might be if you don't quit posting rubbish to up your post count.....

Quote Originally Posted by bricktop
    Quote Originally Posted by williams
    good riddance...
    Who? You? Might be if you don't quit posting rubbish to up your post count.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re:

I am a coward.

:?

ok

Master

Is it ok to swear in Watch Talk these days then?

Seems to be becoming a fairly standard occurence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu
    Is it ok to swear in Watch Talk these days then?

Seems to be becoming a fairly standard occurence.
    It depends what you call swearing (and I'm not asking for examples).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Tuesday, Wednesday And Thursday is one I have seen several times recently. Personally I don't think there's any place for it in WT.

Master

Noted need to keep stds up

Quote Originally Posted by higham5
    A good start is not using text speak ;)

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by higham5
    stds are most unwelcome here

Are we talking STDs or studs (up and it's an automatic yellow card)?
    "A man of little significance"

S.T.D'S are horrible. :shock:

Can we appoint an official forum garmmar and spelling police team? (No, I am not putting myself forward).

Also,I totally agree with Eddie on the subjuct of avatars and sinature lines that are risque.

Quote Originally Posted by billtr96sn

Can we appoint an official forum garmmar and spelling police team? (No, I am not putting myself forward).

Also,I totally agree with Eddie on the subjuct of avatars and sinature lines that are risque.
    Grammar.
    Signature.

:wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Quote Originally Posted by billtr96sn

Grammar.
    Signature.

:wink:

R
    Typo's Goddamit!

No worries...

:shock:

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Thanks,

Eddie[/b]
    Dear, can't agree with you more!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1818317
    I would hope that keeping up standards would exclude not only the risqué, but also the scatological. A confirmatory word from on high would be good to hear.

Radu&Bogdan F
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I would hope that keeping up standards would exclude not only the risqué, but also the scatological. A confirmatory word from on high would be good to hear.
    .................................................. ............

- - - Updated - - -

.................................................. ............

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    No worries...

- - - Updated - - -

.................................................. ...........................

Radu&Bogdan F
    .................................................. .................................

- - - Updated - - -

No worries...
    .................................................. ........................

- - - Updated - - -

No worries...
    .................................................. ....................................

- - - Updated - - -

No worries...
    .................................................. ..................................

Risque avatars

What's the point of a risque avatar anyway? I wouldn't use an avatar that wasn't an exact likeness of me in everyday clothing. Where's that 'tash mug?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    stds are most unwelcome here
    It's a well known fact that STD = 'Subscriber Trunk Dialling' relating to our beloved British Telecom and where would we all be without the ability to ring up our friends?

Tee hee!