closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Gervais - the most overrated comedian in history...

Ricky Gervais - the most overrated comedian in history...

...I just can't stand the guy, or his work (after 'The Office' and 'Extras'). He's really just NOT FUNNY!! :angryfire:

His popularity and Deification in the States is a mystery to me. I can only imagine that it's a case of Emperor's New Clothes - I bet loads of the Hollywood Glitterati probably agree with me - but are too afraid to speak out incase they are the only ones just not 'getting' this comic genius from across the Pond. A string of cr@p films to his name, and nothing original anymore.

Please - WAKE UP PEOPLE!! :mrgreen:

Re: Ricky Gervais - the most overrated comedian in history...

I like him, not him as a person. He as a person is a prick but Extras was great and so too is an idiot abroad. Ricky and Steve Merchant are very clever and funny people imo.

No, it's just that you don't like him and some other people do. It's the old subjective Canon/Nikon, Rolex/Omega bollox all over again. Different strokes......
    F.T.F.A.

I couldn't agree more, I never got the office, it's a bit like that Miranda woman, I am supposed to laugh at her because they tell me she is funny

I don't mind him, it's Michael McIntyre and Frankie Boyle I can't stand. I got given a Michael McIntyre DVD for Christmas last year, it's still in the shrink wrap.

I canīt stand him, but then again, I like Lee Evans, so who am I to talk. :D

I really liked The Office, didn't want any Extras and quite like his presenting gigs. Overall, good guy.

Craftsman

The Office is a total classic, thats a show that will stand the test of time and be remembered as one of the great British comedies. For that alone he should be admired and lauded.

Extras was also excellent and his stand up is also great. The majority of the film roles he has now are not written and directed by him and Steve so it's basically just questioning his acting rather than his writing etc.

Can see how he annoys some people but with the stuff he has done the good far outweighs the bad for me and I think he's one of the best British comedians.

I thought The Office was brilliant as being an office worker I could relate to it, but since then he's gone downhill IMHO to the point where he's off the boil now ... without Steve Merchant writing his gags he has nothing.

Seeing him do live stuff (like awards ceremonies) is just painful, I might be totally wrong but he just comes across as an arrogant man that has little to be arrogant about.

Comedy is more divisive than religion.

Quote Originally Posted by timlin
    Comedy is more divisive than religion.
    Yes, but Ricky Gervais is to comedy what atheisim is to religion.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    I couldn't agree more, I never got the office, it's a bit like that Miranda woman, I am supposed to laugh at her because they tell me she is funny
    +1

If he's in it, I'm not watching it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
    Yup - same for me. He is an automatic switch off.

Sorry chaps I like him, I watched Cemetery Junction a few months ago and loved it :) It reminded me of the sixties films Here we go round the Mulberry bush, Alfie & Up the Junction etc.
    I loved the Office and Extras also.

...'The Invention of Lying'??!!

Nuff said! :D

The Office and Extras were good though. :)

Tag Lovers can rest easy, apparentley he was overheard telling Jay Leno he'd given it away as he was bored with it!

That guy did more damage to Tag's sales than any world recession.

Gervais has lost his Mojo. The best British funnyman we have is Rowan Atkinson.

Lee Evans is a sad impersonation of Norman Wisdom. Miranda is funny in the way that 60's and 70's Carry on Films were funny, lots of 'ooo err missus' type jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by billtr96sn
    Gervais has lost his Mojo. The best British funnyman we have is Rowan Atkinson.

Lee Evans is a sad impersonation of Norman Wisdom. Miranda is funny in the way that 60's and 70's Carry on Films were funny, lots of 'ooo err missus' type jokes.
    Agree to all but Rowan Atkinson! He was funny in the early 80's (Man in Queue behind Student, The Devil etc) but Mr Bean and Johnny English make me shudder (yep.,even the 'reborn' one!).

All comedians have a 'sell by date' Peter Kay was 'Da Schizzle' a few years ago, now he's the 'fat prat' on Jonathon Ross :lol:

Miranda would be a lot funnier if she didn't do the 'voice to the camera' schtick, but then again she's not much of an actor so can't carry it off (unlike her diminutive sidekick)

Master

I don't like him that much - hated his 'stand up' DVD's, hosting spots etc - bit of an arrogant twat. Has to be said though that The Office was a genre-creating classic, and I think it proves that he 'knows' or 'understands' comedy rather than being inherently funny himself.

[boring aside] I have a theory about comedians like him, in that I believe the reason David Brent was so painfully brilliant and beautifully observed and will never be bettered ( by Gervais ), is because there is probably a whole lot more of Gervais in Brent than Gervais himself would like to admit. It's the depth of the observation that makes the character work so well - enables Gervais to really inhabit the personality - because it is him - albeit a grotesque version. It's not a result of Ricky's general abilities or talents as a 'comedian'. Karl Pilkington is more proof of that, in that Gervais has 'steered' him into this comedy character - not much of it ( apart from the prodding ) is Ricky's comedy - he is the facilitator. I found the whole Pilkington thing histerical - especially the early XFM stuff. Another one is Steve Cougan, although in a different league to Gervais IMO. Personally I don't think he'll never better Alan Partridge for the same reasons. Anyway... [ends boring aside!].

N

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack

Completely agree with this. What the hell was he thinking taking that on? It felt like he was askin the same question throughout. The office was great. Other than that and without Steven Merchant, he's nothing.

Can't stand him, instant switch over.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
    Ditto - couldn't watch the office - made me cringe. Someone bought me the box set for Christmas - gave it away, unwatched.

Not even a comedian in the first place. The Office was just cringeworthy and he's just embarrassing to watch, not that I do.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman

This thread clearly needs a picture
    I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn
    [boring aside] I have a theory about comedians like him, in that I believe the reason David Brent was so painfully brilliant and beautifully observed and will never be bettered ( by Gervais ), is because there is probably a whole lot more of Gervais in Brent than Gervais himself would like to admit. It's the depth of the observation that makes the character work so well - enables Gervais to really inhabit the personality - because it is him - albeit a grotesque version. It's not a result of Ricky's general abilities or talents as a 'comedian'. Karl Pilkington is more proof of that, in that Gervais has 'steered' him into this comedy character - not much of it ( apart from the prodding ) is Ricky's comedy - he is the facilitator. I found the whole Pilkington thing histerical - especially the early XFM stuff. Another one is Steve Cougan, although in a different league to Gervais IMO. Personally I don't think he'll never better Alan Partridge for the same reasons. Anyway... [ends boring aside!].
    Your observation is correct I think - but then all great comedians more or less do a parody of themselves. It is hardly possible to be funny about something you do not know well, and if you know it well it is not very easy if you don't identify with it or even like it.

It is quite obvious that there is a lot of Gervais in Andy Millman, and also in what I saw of The Office. So? What is important is that you can relate to the characters and find them funny. It would be a lot less funnier if Gervais were not really a loser wannabe actor. How funny it would be if John Cleese had nothing in common with Basil Fawlty or other stuffy englishmen he's portraying, or if Rowan Atkinson had nothing in common with Blackadder or Mr. Bean.

Gervais is a good comedian. Extras is great comedy, The Office apparently as well, I have seen his stand-up ("animals", look it up on YouTube, it's great), I have seen him on a couple of chat shows. He has a good sense of humour, is observant and has no problem ridiculing himself. He may be making crap now, but how does that matter - he has enough to have earned respect as a comedian.

He's a talentless unfunny mong! Honestly, Gold Medalist in the Needs A Slap Olympics IMO :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    He's a talentless unfunny mong! Honestly, Gold Medalist in the Needs A Slap Olympics IMO :lol:

got to agree the mans a tw@t

rowan atkinson was good but mr bean and johnny english embarrasing

Quote Originally Posted by RichS
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack

Completely agree with this. What the hell was he thinking taking that on? It felt like he was askin the same question throughout. The office was great. Other than that and without Steven Merchant, he's nothing.
    Yep - and the only reason 'Cemetary Junction' was half-decent was that it was co-written by SM.

Banned

He was better as a pop star back in the 80,s :dmage:

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer
    He was better as a pop star back in the 80,s :dmage:
    Well that puts how truly bad he is as a comedian in perspective............he was a shite pop star :D

Master

I saw him in one of his warm up gigs at The Bloomsbury a few years back. As a stand up I thought he was shit. He was just full of himself and bigging up how much money he now had. Some his jokes were really in poor taste too. Added to that he was shit at dealing with hecklers too. My conclusion was thst whilst he might be good in scripted tv he ain't not comedian.

Can I ask which comedians you naysayers find funny?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    For me it's not what is said, but how it's said that makes me laugh: I find the delivery to be more important than the lines. All part of the storytelling experience, like a good actor can make a crap script watchable.

So someone completely bland or smarmy fails miserably for me, but someone with a bit of spirit or weirdness floats my boat: examples being Billy Connolly, Lee Evans, Eddie Izzard, Chris Rock.

One of the few "normal delivery" chaps I like is that Liverpool fella John Bishop, but most I find boring :)

I thought the Office UK was a great show (and so was Gervais), but I must admit to enjoy Steve Carell more in the US version :-)

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    I like him, not him as a person. He as a person is a prick but Extras was great and so too is an idiot abroad. Ricky and Steve Merchant are very clever and funny people imo.
    My feelings also. As a 'personality', I find him intensely annoying, but his work (generally that with Stephen Merchant) can have me in hysterics.

I was wondering too.

I think he's a twit or similar

Craftsman

Completly unfunny and seeing him on screen the other day with what is a serious weight loss he just looked odd

Billy Connolly
    Peter Kay
    Stewart Lee (my cousin)

It was fairly biltong along!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    Billy Connolly
    Peter Kay
    Stewart Lee (my cousin)
    Stuart Lee's your cousin, awesome - he is sublime, the 'talking to estate agent' on the phone piece he did was genius.

With regards to stuff being completely unfunny, my no. 1 slot is 'the Royle family', I can't stand it. Especially the bearded one, a just want to slap him.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    Billy Connolly
    Peter Kay
    Stewart Lee (my cousin)
    Putting peter kay in with those two made me die a little inside :cry:

Your cousin is a genius btw!

For some reason, I like Eddie Izzard. I should not, but find him exceedingly funny.

Star Wars Canteen - laughed so much.

Had to look up Stewart Lee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

He hates "The Hamster Hammond...more than any person ever alive....and more than any fictional character....more than Skeletor! :lol:

:mrgreen:

Low key. Brilliant.

Bit of an insult to Downs Syndrome sufferers dont you think?

David posts a 'Buck' related pun in completely the wrong thread. And now someone's quoted it so it can't be edited away.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Had to look up Stewart Lee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

He hates "The Hamster Hammond...more than any person ever alive....and more than any fictional character....more than Skeletor! :lol:

:mrgreen:

Low key. Brilliant.
    Stewart went to the same school as Richard Hammond, at the same time too. Pleased you liked his act.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    David posts a 'Buck' related pun in completely the wrong thread. And now someone's quoted it so it can't be edited away.
    Oh no! LOL.

How did I confuse a bearded goon with an athlete of the savanna :lol:

Well spotted!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i liked the office.. but i dont like HIM.. and that overrides any of his comedy, for me.. because im just watching him and thinking d*ckhead.

Banned

Stuart Lee talking to estate agent... genius...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP39lZ1nxw4