closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best brush for cleaning a watch?

Best brush for cleaning a watch?

I'd like to do a 'soft clean' on a couple of watches; use the liquid soap and give the watch a bit of a scrub but obviously wanting to avoid needless hairlines. A normal toothbrush would be too harsh. Any ideas on what could be used and where I could buy one?

Thanks,
    Scarto.

Blog Entries

Re: Best brush for cleaning a watch?

I use a soft "normal" toothbrush, works for me and never leaves any hairlines :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Yep "sensitive teeth" toothbrush does just fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by simonsev

Same here, never had a problem.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsev

Same here, never had a problem.
    Ditto.

A stiff wire brush - to get rid of all the hard to shift crap. Ideally the kind of thing you clean a bbq with - and don't forget to give the glass a good scrubbing too!

:wink:
    So clever my foot fell off.

I use an artists brush.

Master
    Blog Entries

Either a "junior" aka childs very soft toothbrush or a ladies makeup brush. Uber soft and very gentle. You can chat up the sales assistant in Boots or wherever whilst you decide which to buy.

Alternatively, just ask your other half for one of her old ones 8)

Craftsman

On a completely un-related matter scarto, how are you finding that Seiko Arctura LE?

Thanks guys..very helpful.

On a completely un-related matter scarto, how are you finding that Seiko Arctura LE?
    Hello Pudspud,

I haven't had occasion to wear it yet - it's a big beast as you know. Still love it though and it's sitting in its box still waiting to be worn. You still got yours?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    Thanks guys..very helpful.

Hello Pudspud,

I haven't had occasion to wear it yet - it's a big beast as you know. Still love it though and it's sitting in its box still waiting to be worn. You still got yours?
    I sent it back under the 30 day return policy. I was just too worried about sell on price as I knew it wouldn't be a keeper. It's still selling for £1750 though and if the Mrs doesn't give up smoking soon then it's getting bought as a "if you want to waste your money then I'll waste mine" type gesture.

Pathetic I know, but anyone old excuse to buy a nice watch eh.

Best brush for cleaning a watch?

I have always used an adults regular toothbrush, if a toothbrush scratched a stainless steel watch I would be shocked actually!

I just use a tooth brush. I've no idea if it's hard or soft (I'd have to ask the Mrs) but can't imagine it would make much difference :wink:
    Gray

Master

I also use a toothbrush, best bought from those "Everything for £1" type stores. You can sometimes pick up 5 brushes for £1, I also use them to clean small car parts.

Master

Soft tooth brush and my kids toothpaste

Journeyman

Chiildren's tooth brush and pure olive soap (green bar). Most cream soaps have petrochemicals that leave a thin film on the steel. I also use a microfiber cloth for drying.

A great speciallized product is the Veraet liquid. I prefer this for vintage pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus
    Chiildren's tooth brush and pure olive soap (green bar). Most cream soaps have petrochemicals that leave a thin film on the steel. I also use a microfiber cloth for drying.

A great speciallized product is the Veraet liquid. I prefer this for vintage pieces.
    Thank you. Any particular place you get your microfibre cloth from? Micro-swirls from drying on a normal towel is something that concerns me too.

There are many Microfibre polishing cloth brands - the best IMO is Selvyt Although personally I don't mind the swirlies
    Gray

^ ^Thanks matey.

Grand Master

Soft bristled tooth brush is fine. I use warm water and washing up liquid. For cleaning bracelets a cheap ultrasonic bath is a godsend; gets all the dirt out from between the links.

Paul

I use a soft toothbrush, but great quality and I've never had a problem.

Aren't you massively exaggerating this? Special brush, microfibre cloth... I'm really struggling to resist the impulse to mock you.

Nylon (which toothbrush bristles are made of) can't scratch stainless steel. The dust particles contained in the dirt can, however. More than the softness of the brush, the technique is important - you need to make the particles go away from the surface as quickly as possible - rubbing a soapy brush across the surface is not a good way to do this. Probably the best way to achieve it would be to brush the watch only while it is submerged into some soapy water, with so little pressure that only the tips of the bristles are touching the case - more stirring the soapy water around it than scrubbing it. If it is fresh dirt (say, a week's worth of wrist cheese) you could also just rinse it in some warm soapy water, this might suffice. If you must brush and it is a brushed case, follow the grain.

If you absolutely must have a soft brush, get a badger shaving brush. I use silvertip for shaving, which would be overkill (and a waste of an exquisit brush) to use on a watch, but then again having a special brush for cleaning your watch does not appear straightforward thinking to me either :). To make it even softer, soak it in some warm water for about 10 minutes prior to using it, this makes mine extremely soft and helps build up a magnificent lather. Use soap made with high content of extra vergine olive oil. Or you could get a kitten and use that as a brush. Oh dear I'm starting to mock, can't withhold it any more, I have to end it right now.

I've never used a brush for cleaning my watches. I just use a towel, old t-shirt, or cloths used to clean glasses.

Grand Master

I think horrovac's right... :) .....and I don`t mind being mocked either. I suggested a soft toothbrush because it's more flexible for getting into nooks & crannies.

I usually use my Mrs's tooth brush :D

Paul

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac
    Aren't you massively exaggerating this? Special brush, microfibre cloth... I'm really struggling to resist the impulse to mock you.

Nylon (which toothbrush bristles are made of) can't scratch stainless steel. The dust particles contained in the dirt can, however. More than the softness of the brush, the technique is important - you need to make the particles go away from the surface as quickly as possible - rubbing a soapy brush across the surface is not a good way to do this. Probably the best way to achieve it would be to brush the watch only while it is submerged into some soapy water, with so little pressure that only the tips of the bristles are touching the case - more stirring the soapy water around it than scrubbing it. If it is fresh dirt (say, a week's worth of wrist cheese) you could also just rinse it in some warm soapy water, this might suffice. If you must brush and it is a brushed case, follow the grain.

If you absolutely must have a soft brush, get a badger shaving brush. I use silvertip for shaving, which would be overkill (and a waste of an exquisit brush) to use on a watch, but then again having a special brush for cleaning your watch does not appear straightforward thinking to me either :). To make it even softer, soak it in some warm water for about 10 minutes prior to using it, this makes mine extremely soft and helps build up a magnificent lather. Use soap made with high content of extra vergine olive oil. Or you could get a kitten and use that as a brush. Oh dear I'm starting to mock, can't withhold it any more, I have to end it right now.

You are pretty much right, both the toothbrush and the olive oil soap, I recommended, are dirty cheap, easy to find things. So are microfiber cloths, any type will do. I have also used generic cream soap and a plain towel and for the minimal effort required for the first method you get better results and a shining watch.

I always use an old toothbrush with handsoap. I dry them using a normal hand towel and they always look great.

Master

I use a soft/medium toofbrush & some exotic bubble bath liquid that my wife seems to buy a lot of & is always saying to me to cut back on, ''you don't need to use much''. So about once a week, the watch that has been gracing my wrist goes into a bowl of very lukewarm water for a few minutes, then is covered in the bubble bath liquid, then the toothbrush goes to work. Starting off on the crystal, bezel, (btw, don't forget to rotate bezel when scrubbing), then onto the caseband, caseback & finally the bracelet.
    Rinse under lukewarm water, (mixer tap required) and then dried off with the wife's hairdrier on cool, then finished off with some quality cotton & microfibre cloth. Hey presto, sparkling watch!
    Well, it works for me. :lol:

Master

If it's on a bracelet, I wear it in the shower, wash it with teatree oil soap and dry it with a towel.

If it's on leather, I use a Selvyt cloth.

If it's very dirty and needs a toothbrush, toothpicks or whatever, it ain't mine. And I don't wash other people's watches.

I read on another forum that you should use a new toothbrush because the crystal found in toothpaste remain in brushes and can cause heavy scratching

And as above, dirt on the watch itself can cause scratches. Perhaps a soak to loosen the dirt would work well?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    I use a soft "normal" toothbrush, works for me and never leaves any hairlines :)

Daddel.
    +1

A shaving hair brush, gentle & soft.

Master
    The local proper watchmaker (who actually makes parts for watches) uses a sainsburys basics soft toothbrush. Works fine.