closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My ebay watches and why I like them most

My ebay watches and why I like them most

I've just written a post about my new Seamaster Jedi and it occurred to me that my favourite watches came from ebay, and they all have things in common. They were all original, or had things that could be easily corrected. They all came in at good prices and all needed servicing but I didn't have them restored. These first three, which I still have, all came from US ebay, from sellers who were happy to ship abroad but hadn't listed the watches correctly so they weren't visible on UK ebay:

Seiko 6105-8119: bought from the original owner who bought it in 1976 while in the US Marines. He put it straight on the NATO-style strap it still wears. It seems to be completely original and works perfectly, although the lume doesn't glow anymore:

Heuer Autavia 2446: bought via US ebay from an Argentinian seller. It needed some restoration internally, along with a new mainspring. The three subdial hands don't match but I don't care and the patina is amazing, especially on the dial and insert (how is there still any paint on it?). The red chrono hand probably isn't original but again I don't care, it looks right and works well with the ATG strap I put it on:

Omega Seamaster 175.005 (Jedi): bought about three months ago but only just back from service, where the crystal was replaced along with one or two bits inside. I've just put a more detailed post in Watch Talk here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191929:

Here's one that got away. It came from UK ebay and was a complete bargain because it was listed so terribly by an obstructive seller (who posted blurry photos and when asked, told me he couldn't be bothered to take ones in focus). Needed a little bit of TLC and the usual mainspring etc but came out beautifully. Sadly it went the same way as the Big Blue to help pay off my long-running car restoration bill, another reluctant sale.

All four of these watches have been worn and with the exception of the Seiko, show their battle scars and scrapes. In the case of all four it would have been criminal to have the cases refinished and shiny new parts put on them (which isn't to say I'm not a fan of the work of Bienne or Abel's Heuer restoration services, just that they should only be applied to watches which are too far gone). I suppose they're just good honest watches.

So, have you got anything similar? A well used ebay-purchased watch you've bought back to life?
    "A man of little significance"

Re: My ebay watches and why I like them most

Great post Simon. I know there is a lot of bad publicity for ebay (and rightly so when you see what some sellers try to get away with) but every now and again a peach raises its head.

I've a Heuer Super Professional and Heuer 1000 980.023 diver both of which required minor work. The Super needed original hands and was from Italy which I think put a few buyers off but I snagged it for a relatively good BIN price. The watch turned up within three days and is a solid honest piece and I'm really happy to have found it as I have had my eyes open for one for a few years. The Heuer 1000 was from the States but had been listed quite badly. It looked in quite poor condition but was worth the risk for parts alone and again I haven't seen this particular model listed since I started hunting for one in 2009 so I had to have it. A quick clean up by a fellow forum member and it actually was in really good condition under the grime. I've since tracked down a better condition bezel and insert which are quite hard to get hold of and I'm sure once this is fitted it will look fantastic (not that it doesn't now tbh).

I will have to get some pics once they are both back with me. In fact I've just received a GShock 5600 with bracelet for a snip so ebay has been kind of late. I doubt I'll ever match the Siffert although I did get one of my 2446C's from the States which was another great pick up (sadly missed) and seeing yours makes me want to revisit.

Jedi looks 8)

Master

Generally agree with this ,have now bought 3 omega megaquartz(32kh) off e bay .One still languishing in customs from USA(stupidly had'nt thought of that) but others i was very happy with and cheaper than sc.Regarding 'patina' definately not keen on full refurb for vintage although this did feel ok on early quartz,wear didnt give them a 'vintage ' feel just looked scruffy and neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    my favourite watches came from ebay, So, have you got anything similar? A well used ebay-purchased watch you've bought back to life?
    I don't own it any more, but I once bought a CK2998-62 from a guy on Ebay and it used to be his Dads. I met up with him while the auction was ongoing and he - and the watch - were genuine. He had described it as a 1980s Speedmaster and took a terrible picture of it. i did even encourage him to keep it but he said he didnt like the hands - it had the lovely "Alpha" hands too. After I collected it I took the case back off and it revealled an excellent 18m serial number and the modeI inscription inside the caseback - it was a bit like Christmas opening it up!! It had a fantastic condition stretch bracelet with correct date code as well.

I kept it for a while, realised I didn't need two vintage Speedies and then sold it on Ebay a few months later. I haven't seen anything as nice since...

My last was a Breitling Montbrillant.

turned out a bit small in the flesh for my chunky wrists

you have a very fine eye mr fox. that 2446 looks like it could tell a tale or two :albino:
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Lovely looking watches like the siffert.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    you have a very fine eye mr fox. that 2446 looks like it could tell a tale or two :albino:
    Yep, got to say, those are fine picks. I occasionally browse the bay - but must say the number of obvious fakes drives me up the wall. If you have the patience - and don't mind the risk - then there's certainly a few pieces with a history to be had.

Liking the Jedi - Although I don't think that is a Jedi..........

.......anyhow here are my 2 ebay purchases:

Seamaster Mariner from Australia, in nice condition with few marks and has original finish, it's a cracking watch - pick up a go quartz convenience, nice size, big, but not too big, really easy to wear - a really unusual case design.

Stardust from German ebay, a beast of a watch in all aspects! It arrived in basically NOS condition, quite remarkable really - I bought this one by accident really as the auction didn't go nearly as high as I was expecting

eBay can be great if you're careful.

Most of my collection came from eBay, too. :wink:

Journeyman

Like the 175.005

Great post thanks for sharing

I am a sucker for those 6105s.

I need to get my old 6105 going.

The Autavias look nice too.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I really like those stardust connies.. That one looks mint
    I've not had an eBay watch for ages.
    Ive got a bit too suspicious of it these days.. Which is a shame because there are some good deals kicking about over there.

I have bought watches from ebay, but I'm nervous each time I do it. I should stop, really.

bought a couple of seiko 6139 models on e-bay, just had bad luck with one of them, but where else find such choice...

For sure I was nervous with both watches..... especially the Stardust, which was an expensive purchase for me!! I suppose the nervous suspense is all part of the fun

Craftsman

Proof some great watches come up on eBay, its always a risk buying online but most sellers are straight up in my experience.
    Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing
    For sure I was nervous with both watches..... especially the Stardust, which was an expensive purchase for me!! I suppose the nervous suspense is all part of the fun
    Those two are lovely, they're both on my would like to try list. I do worry though that the quartz one is a bit too quirky for me, I suppose I need to try one out. I've not seen one or the Stardust in real life. Funny how what you imagine a watch to look like sometimes is far from the truth when you get to see it (Burlington Arcade is a good place to pass through for that)
    "A man of little significance"